Do you prefer Creed or Alter Bridge?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: YAY TABN!

Post by Inconquerable »

Devil Inside You wrote:I would go so far as to say Myles is the true spirit of Alter Bridge.
I agree with this.

Keeping this short, I don't know a tonne of Creed stuff but from what I have heard, it just doesn't do it for me. So for me it's Alter Bridge all the way. It is really great to see that this forum can do band a vs. band b type discussions without it devolving into nonsense. I'm proud of this thread being (so far) completely civil.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: Do you prefer Creed or Alter Bridge?

Post by anguyen92 »

Devil Inside You wrote:Its funny. The whole 3/4ths band members can be seen in other bands like Days of the New/Tantric, STP/Scott Weiland, Godsmack/Another Animal. Apparently some frontmen are just a mess to deal with for the other normal guys lol
Huh. Never knew that at all. Then again, my knowledge of Days of the New and Tantric is only limited to the songs I hear on Sirius XM Turbo on a regular basis.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

Yes sir! After Days of the New's first album (Yellow), Travis Meeks developed a huge ego and fired the other three members. At which point Todd Whitener, Jesse Vest and Matt Taul formed Tantric with Hugo Ferriera. In fact the song Breakdown was written specifically about Travis Meeks and lyrically can also apply to Scott Stapp, Scott Weiland and Sully Erna.

They made two albums, before the bassist split. At which point they recorded a third album as a trio, with Todd Whitener playing guitar and bass. Ironically enough is a neat parallel to Creed with Weathered. However, the label shelved the album, causing Whitener to quit the band out of frustration, and Matt Taul went to prison on drug charges. Now Hugo Ferreira is the sole original member. Bummer because after the original lineup died, so did my interest in the band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjATZYHs4Tc

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Timotheus wrote: makes fucking sex tapes...
Dunno if he was cheating at the time but did you see those groupies tho? I'd be filming too :shifty

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Creed has the better guitar tone.

It’s hard to compare two different bands with two different sounding singers. Both bands have their strengths.

The mixing on most Alter Bridge’s albums sucks.
That’s why a lot of the songs from Blackbird are more enjoyable in a live format, for example.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

cheesedip1 wrote:Creed has the better guitar tone.

It’s hard to compare two different bands with two different sounding singers. Both bands have their strengths.

The mixing on most Alter Bridge’s albums sucks.
That’s why a lot of the songs from Blackbird are more enjoyable in a live format, for example.
I do agree about the guitar tones. Mark’s overall sound was better in Creed. But his writing and riffs are better with AB in my opinion.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

I would say Mark's technical skill is better in AB, in my opinion though his writing, melody work, lyrics, tone and everything else sounded better to my ears in Creed. His technique has come a long way, but I guess all that technique has taken away from songwriting.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I think you guys know my answer but I'll say it anyway.

Creed.

I've been listening to them since I was a kid. There music hasn't grown old to me and I still relate to their lyrics on a very personal level. I'll be listening to Creed for my entire life I believe.

I like Alter Bridge a lot. But they don't have they same hold over me.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

And regarding the second question, as to which band I prefer live? Whilst I would still let someone argue cuz of subjectivity that AB is the better band , there is no doub't and i mean none whatsoever that live, AB can't even come close to 97-2002( pre chicago show) Creed. I mean, the intensity of the performances was lifting roofs of the venues. It is such a shame that we never got good pro footage of Creed from 97-02 and instead got the horrendous 2009 dvd.

Creed as one of the greatest live bands ever, for those who haven't seen these, Mark, Brian, Flip and Stapp, at their best ever:

Torn

Say I

Bound and Tied

Young Grow Old ( Intense vocal intro and a drunk listener)

Are You Ready

Faceless Man

Toledo Show - Skip to Torn the entire crowd is singing, way louder than Stapp from where it is recorded, and the breakdown is epic. Haven't seen a crowd react to a band like that in ages.

Bullets - 02 (Flip's drumming is epic on this song)

McGathy Party Full Show

Say I from Ron Ranew Doc. ( I hope Ron is well )
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Them Bones wrote: Toledo Show - Skip to Torn the entire crowd is singing, way louder than Stapp from where it is recorded, and the breakdown is epic. Haven't seen a crowd react to a band like that in ages.
My favourite part of the concert if the breakdown of What'sThie Life For, at 1h12mn.
The crowd is unreal during that section of the song, and it gives me goosebumps each time I watch it. That is without a doubt Creed at its best.

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

Sorry but Alter Bridge absolutely s**** on Creed. There’s no comparison.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

CrowsOnAWire wrote:Sorry but Alter Bridge absolutely s**** on Creed. There’s no comparison.
That's music, man...there's no comparison at all, it's just a matter of preference.

In my opinion Creed was way better than Alter Bridge and that's MY opinion, not a fact.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Yeah more complex guitar work doesn’t always make a song better.

Some Creed songs are kinda simple, and yet they are so great because of the great vocal melody and good/great lyrics.

Ex) one last breath, torn, my own prison
What’s this life for, is this the end

One of the things I like about some Creed songs is that they are very atmospheric. Like slower and moody.

Don’t get me wrong, complex guitar work or guitar tone can definitely count for something, for sure.

My point is, if your vocal melody sucks I don’t really care how complex the song is or how good the lyrics are.

Example) some of the songs from modern times by Dylan

again, I’m a big Dylan fan but some aspects of his newer albums are kinda weak.