Underrated Alter Bridge Appreciation Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Crumbso
On The Rail

Re: Underrated Alter Bridge Appreciation Thread

Post by Crumbso »

Shame. It's the high point of that album for me. Classic AB - Heavy as f! Melodic as f!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: You're lucky he even posted for you bastards...LEAVE UBIK ALONE!

Post by Ubik »

gbruin wrote:
Ubik wrote:I'm happy with Fortress the way it is, the one I think could really benefit from a rejigging is The Last Hero. Show Me a Leader is a decent opener and I've always loved Writing on the Wall, but that's not an opinion shared by all. Whereas, Island of Fools is a straight up monster. Should've been the lead single and track 2 - willing to die on a hill for this. The band for some reason have never realised its greatness.
100% agree on Island of Fools in that #2 (Come To Life, Isolation, Addicted To Pain) spot on the album.

I will defend that hill for you.
My man

AB4 - I think during the release Mark said it didn't end up as good as he'd hoped, not sure if he's said anything since though. Possibly a case of being too close to it to appreciate.
For all of the hope that it brings...

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

I once remixed Island of Fools so that it had a FINAL final chorus, though most people on here disagreed with that format. I couldn't do with that chorus exactly what I wanted since I had to repeat it from the first two choruses (plus I couldn't melodically segue it into the outro the way I wanted to), but I think that's the only thing that makes it "incomplete."

EDIT: Here it is -- https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1ou0pxbjtaf6 ... s.mp3?dl=0

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote: though most people on here disagreed with that format
:shifty
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Timotheus wrote:
1/7 active users counts as most people.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Andy92 wrote:
Timotheus wrote:
1/7 active users counts as most people.
If we're talking about the same four-year-old thread that I'm talking about and if I'm inferring users' context right, then I could argue that it was 9/9 users that prefer the original to the edit.

And note that I didn't have much to work with on the edit, so the messy sound means I would prefer the original. I just think there should be another chorus after the solo, and I think that would complete the song for me. About 9/9 others in that thread had disagreed.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Oh yeah I was mostly laughing at Timo cause I knew what his opinion on it was. :lol

I always liked Island of Fools and wished they’d play it live. I think it’s the best song on TLH that holds up really well to insert in a live set list.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

That's a very skilfully done edit! But to me the climax of the song is perfect as it is. Adding another chorus is like, having just smashed Barad-dur up, having to loaf over to Isengard for another battle.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Ubik wrote:That's a very skilfully done edit! But to me the climax of the song is perfect as it is. Adding another chorus is like, having just smashed Barad-dur up, having to loaf over to Isengard for another battle.
In some ways, their last chorus is so different that upon my first few listens I was thinking I was hitting a second part of the bridge, of sorts. I actually didn't know it was the chorus again, if that makes sense.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Ubik wrote:That's a very skilfully done edit! But to me the climax of the song is perfect as it is. Adding another chorus is like, having just smashed Barad-dur up, having to loaf over to Isengard for another battle.
Or to the Shire for another battle.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Timotheus wrote:
Or to the Shire for another battle.
You can have a nice little scouring outro, as a treat.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Because it's that damn good

Post by gbruin »

I don't think I'd ever heard that edit. I really like it. Not sure if I like it more or less than the original - I just like it, also. I bet I would like almost any extended edit of that song. You could probably play Island of Fools backward and I'd like it.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Hurts It Know I

Post by Andy92 »

gbruin wrote:I don't think I'd ever heard that edit. I really like it. Not sure if I like it more or less than the original - I just like it, also. I bet I would like almost any extended edit of that song. You could probably play Island of Fools backward and I'd like it.
Ah, the good old Fools of Island hidden gem.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Hurts It Know I

gbruin wrote:I don't think I'd ever heard that edit. I really like it. Not sure if I like it more or less than the original - I just like it, also. I bet I would like almost any extended edit of that song. You could probably play Island of Fools backward and I'd like it.
Thanks! Like I said I would arrange some things to smoothen it out properly and still make the chorus have a slightly larger sound since it's the last one, but I do think another chorus does complete the song. Maybe that's what Tremonti thinks is missing.
Andy92 wrote:Ah, the good old Fools of Island hidden gem.
:lol

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

One of my favorite moments of seeing the band live was getting to hear Island of Fools in January 17.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

rscotta831 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:06 pm "Losing Patience" Don't get the flack over this one. Another awesome catchy chorus with Tremonti's outstanding backup vocals. Criminally underrated. Only thing it's missing is a solo (which became common practice on Walk The Sky). Has NEVER been played!
https://www.setlist.fm/stats/myles-kenn ... 65e84.html

Losing Patience has been played live 18 times by Myles Kennedy.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

maximzub
On The Rail

Re: Underrated Alter Bridge Appreciation Thread (CORRECTED! Apparently even their deep cuts are not underrated)

Post by maximzub »

Here are my reasons for liking the songs that are more or less deep cuts:

Shed My Skin - It's the kind of happy song that I like. There are a lot of happy songs that are playful-kind-of-happy, but this one is more of a serious song that still brings positive vibes.

The Uninvited - Heaviest Alter Bridge song ever? Definitely a top 10 for me.

Peace Is Broken - The fact that a slow drum beat is combined with a fast guitar riff is interesting. The chorus is also really melodic.

All Ends Well - Very happy ballad, with probably the most emotionally resonating message out of all their songs. Only Watch Over You is a competitor in that respect.

Godspeed - Walk The Sky is not a strong album, but this is not one of the weak songs as popular opinion says. Maybe I like it more than I would because I happened to listen to it shortly before saying goodbye forever to a friend. (No, I did not quote the song when I said goodbye to her.)

Clear Horizon - Some members of AB Nation recommended I listen to this song, and I did after a while. It's much cooler than most of the singles on Walk The Sky.
Last edited by maximzub on Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

maximzub wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:37 pm Here are my reasons for liking the songs that are more or less deep cuts:

Shed My Skin - It's the kind of happy song that I like. There are a lot of happy songs that are playful-kind-of-happy, but this one is more of a serious song that still brings positive vibes.

The End Is Here - Seems like an easy song to play and sing, and I like those kind of songs. The main riff is awesome as well, and the strings make it even better.

Slip To The Void - Awesome intro, and the bridge is really heavy. The strings only add to the coolness.

Words Darker Than Their Wings - Okay, this is not underrated. Everybody knows it's good.

Peace Is Broken - The fact that a slow drum beat is combined with a fast guitar riff is interesting. The chorus is also really melodic.

All Ends Well - Very happy ballad, with probably the most emotionally resonating message out of all their songs. Only Watch Over You is a competitor in that respect.

Fortress - Epic. The heavy breakdown is the best part. Unfortunately they didn't play the guitar harmonies in the live version from Live At The Royal Albert Hall.

The Writing On The Wall - Deserves its spot at Track 2. I think maybe I like this song more because I know how to play it, solo and all.

Crows On A Wire - It seems like this one gets compared to Isolation a lot. Just because two songs sound very alike doesn't mean one is necessarily bad. I think both songs are equally really good.

The Last Hero - Very similar to Fortress, maybe even better because it's in Drop C, which I prefer compared to Drop C#.

Godspeed - Walk The Sky is not a strong album, but this is not one of the weak songs as popular opinion says. Maybe I like it more than I would because I happened to listen to it shortly before saying goodbye forever to a friend. (No, I did not quote the song when I said goodbye to her.)

Clear Horizon - Some members of AB Nation recommended I listen to this song, and I put it on my playlist. Sure enough, yesterday it came up. It's much cooler than most of the singles on Walk The Sky.
Not sure you're understanding the terms 'underrated' or 'deep-cuts' my dude. You just named some of their flat out most well liked and well known songs :lol

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Crumbso wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:02 pm
maximzub wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:37 pm Here are my reasons for liking the songs that are more or less deep cuts:

The End Is Here - Seems like an easy song to play and sing, and I like those kind of songs. The main riff is awesome as well, and the strings make it even better.

Slip To The Void - Awesome intro, and the bridge is really heavy. The strings only add to the coolness.

Words Darker Than Their Wings - Okay, this is not underrated. Everybody knows it's good.

Fortress - Epic. The heavy breakdown is the best part. Unfortunately they didn't play the guitar harmonies in the live version from Live At The Royal Albert Hall.

The Writing On The Wall - Deserves its spot at Track 2. I think maybe I like this song more because I know how to play it, solo and all.

Crows On A Wire - It seems like this one gets compared to Isolation a lot. Just because two songs sound very alike doesn't mean one is necessarily bad. I think both songs are equally really good.

The Last Hero - Very similar to Fortress, maybe even better because it's in Drop C, which I prefer compared to Drop C#.

Clear Horizon - Some members of AB Nation recommended I listen to this song, and I put it on my playlist. Sure enough, yesterday it came up. It's much cooler than most of the singles on Walk The Sky.
Not sure you're understanding the terms 'underrated' or 'deep-cuts' my dude. You just named some of their flat out most well liked and well known songs :lol
Then what isn't well known and/or well-liked?
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

rscotta831
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rscotta831 »

maximzub wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:08 pm
rscotta831 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:06 pm "Losing Patience" Don't get the flack over this one. Another awesome catchy chorus with Tremonti's outstanding backup vocals. Criminally underrated. Only thing it's missing is a solo (which became common practice on Walk The Sky). Has NEVER been played!
https://www.setlist.fm/stats/myles-kenn ... 65e84.html

Losing Patience has been played live 18 times by Myles Kennedy.
Acoustic tho. Not a fan of acoustic versions of rock songs.