What's Next Musically for Alter Bridge? A Concept Album?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
mirko.volpon
Bought The CDs

Re: What's Next Musically for Alter Bridge? A Concept Album?

Post by mirko.volpon »

I want an acoustic album.. It's my dream

Skywalker
Bought The CDs

Post by Skywalker »

re: acoustic/unplugged -- I actually think something like this is a reality, but moreso in digital EP format. They've had so many live records now in-between regular records. I could see AB sitting down in a studio for a few days and doing six songs acoustically, including a new track or two, and releasing it. I don't think an entirely new album of new fully acoustic songs is realistic, but an EP to tide us over to a new record? Absolutely.
AnybodyListening.net - Chronicling the History of Queensryche's Original Lineup

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Yeah, something like that would be a cool thing for AB to do. Breaking Benjamin did something similar to that earlier this year. Did an acoustic album and incorporated some string arrangements and had some of their vocalist friends from well-known bands provide guest vocals and did a new song.

Don't think I can see AB bring some of their friends from other bands to provide guest vocals on an album (otherwise, they would have done it by now barring Watch Over You with Cristina Scabbia), but an acoustic album can be something they can consider when that dead year of 2021 approaches.

mirko.volpon
Bought The CDs

Post by mirko.volpon »

And tremonti live dvd?

Skywalker
Bought The CDs

Post by Skywalker »

mirko.volpon wrote:And tremonti live dvd?
Has to be demand for it, and it needs to make sense financially. Tremonti, as an act, is still a pretty small operation. And since phone technology has gotten better, and YouTube and other platforms like it exist, it doesn't make a lot a sense (at least as far as I can see) for a club level headline (at best) band to spend the money to put forth a great concert album on video.
AnybodyListening.net - Chronicling the History of Queensryche's Original Lineup

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Thinking about it, with the likely extensive disruption to their touring schedule this year (and potentially even into next year), they really could use it as an opportunity to do something a bit different. Maybe more writing for the next album earlier on (given they're already pros at socially distanced collaboration), or maybe something ultra cool like the aforementioned acoustic album. I'd pay much monies even if they'd recorded it themselves on different sides of the country and released it download only.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: With guest singers on 1 epic song please!

Post by Inconquerable »

Ubik wrote:Thinking about it, with the likely extensive disruption to their touring schedule this year (and potentially even into next year), they really could use it as an opportunity to do something a bit different. Maybe more writing for the next album earlier on (given they're already pros at socially distanced collaboration), or maybe something ultra cool like the aforementioned acoustic album. I'd pay much monies even if they'd recorded it themselves on different sides of the country and released it download only.
Would really love this. If they did something like SAP or Jar of Flies and put it on a CD (for me because I'm old and like CDs still), it would be ideal.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: With guest singers on 1 epic song please!

Post by Ubik »

Inconquerable wrote: Would really love this. If they did something like SAP or Jar of Flies and put it on a CD (for me because I'm old and like CDs still), it would be ideal.
I hear you (I too am old), my thinking was that download only might be a quicker, cheaper and pandemic-friendlier way of making it happen. Special edition CD release can come later.
For all of the hope that it brings...

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

There are a couple things I think AB could do to shake things up a bit:
1. Acoustic album or EP, especially with COVID I think this could be a likely addition, hopefully they dig deep for a few of the cuts.
2. Concept Record, with time to write they could make a pretty good storyline and some great music.
3. Idk if this is because I've been on a Dream Theater and Rush kick lately, but I'd love to hear a 12 minute epic from them, especially since Walk The Sky was filled with shorter tracks as a whole.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

The Dissident wrote:There are a couple things I think AB could do to shake things up a bit:
1. Acoustic album or EP, especially with COVID I think this could be a likely addition, hopefully they dig deep for a few of the cuts.
2. Concept Record, with time to write they could make a pretty good storyline and some great music.
3. Idk if this is because I've been on a Dream Theater and Rush kick lately, but I'd love to hear a 12 minute epic from them, especially since Walk The Sky was filled with shorter tracks as a whole.
This makes me think of an EP. A two song release of lengthy epics. 10-12 minutes each! Myles taking lead vocals on one tune, maybe a duet with Mark on the closer. Acoustic intros and sections, bluesy licks, guitar duels, those haunting vocal harmonies, drum and bass solos from Flip and Brian. All of the pieces of the Alter Bridge pie!

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

Although not along the musical front and more along the what will AB do next front. The band has put out 6 stellar albums, maybe a hits tour of sorts is due or some sort of deep cuts tour. I doubt it will happen and frankly I'd love new music but it could happen.

CodyLikesDT
Brand New Start

Post by CodyLikesDT »

Although I don’t post on this forum often at all, I’ve been a huge Alter Bridge fan since ODR (it was literally the first album I ever bought with my own money). That being said, I’ve been let down by the last few AB albums. Frankly, I think the next step for them is to start working with new producers. I religiously listen to albums from start to finish (none of this skipping around to different songs nonsense), and any time I listen to ODR, BB, or ABIII, I never get the urge to skip a song. I feel like Elvis was bringing out the best in the band in terms of songwriting, structure, etc. Now, the songs seem so predictable (certain songs, namely off Fortress are obviously are excluded), or too formulaic. Also, I’m not a fan of the direction they’ve been going with Myles’s vocal production. Too many layers and high harmonies. The relaxed and simple vocal production of ODR and BB really showcase his beautiful voice. Basically, I don’t think he’s brought out the best in them in quite a while and I think it’s quite clear that it’s time for them to move on. I obviously mean no disrespect to the band or to Elvis. I just think they need something new and fresh in the creative mix. Just my two cents (sense?).
RIP Edward Bozoian, my best friend. 1989 - 2009
------------------
Listen to my band's concept album: https://bloodhoundbandcamp.bandcamp.com
Listen to my solo concept album: https://thecircleofwonders.bandcamp.com

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I just need them to play longer shows. You got six albums of great songs and it's a shame if some doesn't get played live and the shows, at this point, is down to just singles, a couple of obvious favorites, and a few from the newest album.

I think if they do shows without openers in the states, it wouldn't hurt attendance at all. The last US tour had Deepfall and Clint Lowery. I can guarantee that almost everyone seeing those shows had no clue who Deepfall was beforehand. They were good and didn't piss me off at all in their set (which was a huge plus since I was ready to not like their set at all), but it's not like they were a deal breaker in buying a ticket or not. Clint was very good in his set, but I don't think he was moving the needle in ticket sales at all, unless people that are fans of Sevendust wanted to support him and see Alter Bridge as a bonus, which I imagine couldn't too much people though.

The Royal Albert Hall shows worked not just because they were playing with an orchestra, but they were given an opportunity with a longer set time to play songs that you wouldn't see in a regular show on a regular occasion. I would have liked them to do a tour leg with a similar runtime format. Can it still happen? I hope so.

snowman
Bought The CDs

Post by snowman »

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet in this thread, but I'd love for them to do a long, epic instrumental song on the next album. I know they have Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad, and as fun as that song is, I think they can do even better. I think it would be amazing if they let completely loose on an instrumental track and all four of them had some time to really shine and show off their skills.

One added bonus to an instrumental song is that if they play it live, it's one less song for Myles to sing in the set which can help save his voice through the tour.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I just hope they can put out something that rivals Blackbird or Fortress. I consider these two albums to be absolute masterpieces from beginning to end, and I have faith they can do it a third time.

claudiocc
Bought The CDs

Post by claudiocc »

Hello, posting after looong time, but always reading and keep informed.
If they want to reach more popularity as expressed in some earlier posts, to me they just have to spend the money to get air spinning, late shows on TV and so on. AB has always had great great songs to go on the radio and being in high chart position, but they have to be supported by a lot of marketing. Other bands they get supported by it, it is just a way of doing business. Promotion is everything. We can hear songs we dont like at first, but then we got bombarded every day , in peak hours until we start to like it. AB has always sent out singles too late, too close each other, without pushing at least one to a great promotion. I keep remembering everyone that AB got very popular in Italy for air play on Virgin Radio of Watch Over You , over and over. That I think ( as I am not in the industry), the way. They do not need particular songs..they had them. Even Godspeed would be a brilliant radio tune with greath bse rhythm, great drumming and simple chorus, effective, clean keeping rhythm all along the song

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

claudiocc wrote:Hello, posting after looong time, but always reading and keep informed.
If they want to reach more popularity as expressed in some earlier posts, to me they just have to spend the money to get air spinning, late shows on TV and so on. AB has always had great great songs to go on the radio and being in high chart position, but they have to be supported by a lot of marketing. Other bands they get supported by it, it is just a way of doing business. Promotion is everything. We can hear songs we dont like at first, but then we got bombarded every day , in peak hours until we start to like it. AB has always sent out singles too late, too close each other, without pushing at least one to a great promotion. I keep remembering everyone that AB got very popular in Italy for air play on Virgin Radio of Watch Over You , over and over. That I think ( as I am not in the industry), the way. They do not need particular songs..they had them. Even Godspeed would be a brilliant radio tune with greath bse rhythm, great drumming and simple chorus, effective, clean keeping rhythm all along the song
Godspeed not being the second single from the record and not getting MASSIVE radio play is a damn criminal offense.

If my local active rock station can play that "Little Bit Off" abomination by Five Finger Dick Squeeze at least four times a night, then Godspeed should be a shoe-in! That's coming from a 5FDP fan...

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

The thing was that Godspeed was the official second single for Walk the Sky. It may not have been the second song released for the album, but was the next single to go out for radio back in December. I think I heard it a few times on Octane. I can't tell before the pandemic began and I stopped listening to Octane on a regular basis due to me not driving around much to justify listening to Octane. Only charted as high as around top 20 in Active Rock charts.

At this point, I'm starting to think the fix is in and that no matter what songs AB releases from here on out, I think rock radio DJs around the country will see the name Alter Bridge in their catalog of singles to play and automatically think, "Oh, Alter Bridge? I'll just give their latest single a few plays, and that's it for them," and there's barely anything we, the fans, can do about it. Management can keep pushing as much as they can, but I personally think it's a sunken effort at this point.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Nowadays, rock is all about hooks.
Melody is considered a thing of the past, and Alter Bridge is all about melody.

If they want success in the USA, they'll have to do what the succesful bands do, meaning short commercial and overproduced songs with a memorable hook. Working with external writers from the pop world also seems to work for a lot of bands.
I personally hope they don't follow that path, but it seems to be the only way to become huge these days.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

A Concept Album?

Post by MaraCarr »

Will someone please explain to me in layman’s terms what a concept album is?

I love music! I don’t know what a concept album is and why it’s significant.

I need some education here... :shrug :mope