Battle Of The Track Numbers: Track 09

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!

BOTTN: Track 09

Poll ended at Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:59 pm

Watch Your Words
5%
One By One
3%
Show Me A Sign
39%
Farther Than The Sun
18%
You Will Be Remembered
No votes
Pay No Mind
34%

Total votes: 38

abw1987
Blood Machines

Re: Battle Of The Track Numbers: Track 09

Post by abw1987 »

I think a lot of people overlook it because it's somewhat slow and plodding, both of which there is no shortage on AB III. But like I said above, I really think it's one of the representative songs off of the album. The sound of genuine despair... someone crying out for any higher power to respond.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Dolo wrote:Very few people have claimed to like it on here, and it never clicked live according to Mark.
Which is such a shame because I bet it's an incredibly atmospheric song live and afaik it's Mark's favourite from AB III. Sometimes I'm angry at the fanbase. :D

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Blackbird wrote:
Dolo wrote:Very few people have claimed to like it on here, and it never clicked live according to Mark.
Which is such a shame because I bet it's an incredibly atmospheric song live and afaik it's Mark's favourite from AB III. Sometimes I'm angry at the fanbase. :D
Artisis should play the songs they want to play not what the fans want. Mark cares about the fans a little bit 'too much'.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Fans will stop buying tickets for their concerts though if they're unhappy with the setlists. :/

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

I totally agree with Dolo, but at the same time if the band sees a boring crowd, they may well lose their "desire" to play the songs.

Mark is, probably right when he says the song has never clicked live for the fans, but how can he be so sure if they only played it a couple of times...?
Maybe they feel the same way about Wayward One, since they only played it once!

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Silvercreed wrote:I totally agree with Dolo, but at the same time if the band sees a boring crowd, they may well lose their "desire" to play the songs.

Mark is, probably right when he says the song has never clicked live for the fans, but how can he be so sure if they only played it a couple of times...?
Maybe they feel the same way about Wayward One, since they only played it once!
Holy crap, why did it take me that long to realize which song it was??

Forever, I was asking myself which song's chorus reminds me of the one from In the Deep. It's Wayward One! Are they the exact same? No, not all. That's part of the problem, though... I felt like AB was saying: "Well, we can't make it sound the same-same, so let's shake things up a little bit." In this case, In the Deep sounds like a very unnatural chorus.

Here are the choruses with matching tempos: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a0RYpR ... sp=sharing

I keep thinking of Clear Horizon's chorus as well sounding like one as well, by the way. Let me know if you get an idea of that one. :p

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Yeah, I was thinking about Wayward One as well. Sounded amazing when they played it live and made me wonder why they haven't done more.

Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

It would be cool if they started trying out songs like "Show Me a Sign" that they had dismissed years ago over lack of crowd enthusiasm. I remember during the ODR tour, "Burn it Down" was among the less exciting songs. (I always loved it, but I'd say it was in the middle of the pack as far as crowd reaction went.) It's cool that they have brought it back into the setlist for the WTS tour, and seems to have gone over well. Who knows, maybe some of the deeper cuts like "Show Me a Sign" will prove to have aged well.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:Holy crap, why did it take me that long to realize which song it was??

Forever, I was asking myself which song's chorus reminds me of the one from In the Deep. It's Wayward One! Are they the exact same? No, not all. That's part of the problem, though... I felt like AB was saying: "Well, we can't make it sound the same-same, so let's shake things up a little bit." In this case, In the Deep sounds like a very unnatural chorus.

Here are the choruses with matching tempos: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a0RYpR ... sp=sharing

I keep thinking of Clear Horizon's chorus as well sounding like one as well, by the way. Let me know if you get an idea of that one. :p
Lol! Wow that audio is a cluster. I get what you're saying though... there is some commonality in the cadence of the vocal lines and the somewhat unpredictable cord changes.