Alter Bridge 'Walk the Sky' spring US tour 2020

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
rscotta831
TABN.com Citizen

Re: Alter Bridge 'Walk the Sky' spring US tour 2020

Post by rscotta831 »

abw1987 wrote:I'll tell you what, I'll always support the guys and see them when they come to town, but if they're playing the same sets every night, I'm a lot less inclined to take time off of work and spend money traveling to see them in other cities.
I get what you're saying. Hard to digest the same setlist. Living in Alabama my entire life, we're rarely treated to top tier rock bands, most especially in Huntsville. We usually have to drive to Birmingham, Nashville or Atlanta. This was just my 3rd time seeing a full AB concert (2nd time in five months). I was tickled beyond belief when they announced they were coming to Huntsville. I only had to drive 15 minutes to see my fav band! Those of you who live near frequented rock venues may take this for granted. So yes, hearing the same songs again was a little bland, but I got to see my fav band for just the 3rd time, a fairly rare treat given how long we have loved them. They just don't frequent Alabama much.

I also get to see Queensryche in my hometown for the very first time next week. Seeing them, AB and I'm sure numerous future rock acts would not have been possible without our new venue. I only wish this venue would have come along 35 years ago.

rscotta831
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rscotta831 »

abw1987 wrote:And last night they finally played something off of TLH... sure it was YWBR, but at least they haven't totally given up on the album.
Ubik wrote:I know it's deeply narcissistic of me, but I swear they're doing this just to piss me off.
Looks like they only played it as a dedication to a fallen hero...

Last edited by rscotta831 on Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:I feel like the setlists aren't as good as they used to be, and I missed the golden age of AB setlists back in the Fortress era where there was a lot more Fortress being played than now (as its my fave album I would have preferred a Fortress heavy setlist). BUT with that being said on Wednesday February 26th in Seattle I will be attending my first ever AB concert complete with a M&G and a guitar clinic (go big or go home :lol) And regardless if the setlist has nothing but the same 6 or 7 WTS songs with no gems or debuts, I will still enjoy the experience to the best of my abilities because worrying about something like that after everything else Im experiencing that day is not good for me :lol

Remember to say hi there bud.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

AB4Lyfe wrote:Remember to say hi there bud.
I'll try my best :lol

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

anguyen92 wrote:
abw1987 wrote:I'll tell you what, I'll always support the guys and see them when they come to town, but if they're playing the same sets every night, I'm a lot less inclined to take time off of work and spend money traveling to see them in other cities.
Well, then...... As a guy that's taking time off work and spending money traveling to see them in other cities next week, I already knew going into this trip, I'm not expecting them to play different sets every night, but I'm still going to enjoy it as much as I can and enjoy taking a day in each city doing something that has to do with that city.
Haha I hope you don't think that was directed at you! You'll have an awesome time. Honestly I could see the same set list three nights in a row and still enjoy it because I love the music no matter what. It's just the older I get, the busier life becomes. If I know the guys are going to play the same set list here in Philly as they are tomorrow in New York, I'm less motivated to travel to New York since I won't really be missing out on anything unique.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Can’t provide a link, but there’s a tour leg in May in the states and they are bringing Black Stone Cherry and Saint Asonia. Dang it. I wish I had that lineup in the shows I’m going to,

Edit: Here's the poster. Another cool looking poster. They are 3 for 3 on that end so far.

Skywalker
Bought The CDs

Post by Skywalker »

Question. Looking at the last couple of shows, including last night, the sets seem shorter. Last night in particular, IF (and it's a big IF) setlist.fm is right (just 14 songs). I see that generally it is 16-ish.

Is Myles sick again?

I don't want to be negative, but after shelling out for two shows on this tour (both of which are coming up in the next several days), I have to say I'm already disappointed. I am sure the shows will be fun. They always are. But after 19 songs in Spokane 2017, and 17 songs in San Francisco (2014), this downward trend is concerning.

We all pay a lot of money to attend these shows, and if they keep shortening them, and still playing like five songs from Blackbird all the time, it is starting to feel sort of pointless. Don't get me wrong, AB is my favorite band these days, and I love the new record. But how about truly SUPPORTING it, and making at least an 18 song setlist with six (6) songs in that set being from Walk the Sky, with the other 12 being older tracks and a better mix of "hits" and album cuts.

18 songs doesn't seem like a stretch, AT ALL. And I don't think that's asking too much. If I go to both my shows this week and they are 16 songs/80 minutes or less, honestly, I don't see myself seeing Alter Bridge live again (I've gone to every album tour at least once, if not twice). The shows have to be long enough to justify the cost and the arrangements. And no offense to Clint Lowery (I'm a big 7D fan) or DeepFall, but most folks are there to see the headliner. The headliner should be on stage for a minimum of 90 minutes. Again, doesn't seem like a stretch to me.

I know shit happens, but if this is the "new normal" for Alter Bridge, after this tour, I think I'll be reconsidering spending the money to see them live. They always put on a good show, but it has to be long enough to justify the cost, and 80 minutes or less, for me, isn't.
AnybodyListening.net - Chronicling the History of Queensryche's Original Lineup

rscotta831
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rscotta831 »

anguyen92 wrote:Can’t provide a link, but there’s a tour leg in May in the states and they are bringing Black Stone Cherry and Saint Asonia. Dang it. I wish I had that lineup in the shows I’m going to,

Edit: Here's the poster. Another cool looking poster. They are 3 for 3 on that end so far.

Damnit. Why do they (or their tour manager) insist on playing at The Tabernacle in ATL?? They always end up there in ATL. That place has no AC. It’s literally a giant sauna of human sweat.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Love it!! I really thought the current Midwest/West Coast leg was going to be the last of the US headlining dates until after the summer festival season. So excited to be getting proper headlining concerts in the Northeast! I'll definitely attend both the Sayreville, NJ show since that is well within a reasonable driving distance from my home. I'm debating Silver Spring, MD as well... it's a fair bit further and I really didn't like the Fillmore last time I saw them there (it was completely jammed—like, I wouldn't be surprised if they had exceeded fire code—and the place just seemed more geared towards hip-hop acts than rock), but it is close enough that it may be worth the drive. I'm not sure one show will scratch my AB itch!

Glad to see these openers as well. It's been a while since I've seen BSC and Saint Asonia.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Skywalker wrote:Question. Looking at the last couple of shows, including last night, the sets seem shorter. Last night in particular, IF (and it's a big IF) setlist.fm is right (just 14 songs). I see that generally it is 16-ish.

Is Myles sick again?

I don't want to be negative, but after shelling out for two shows on this tour (both of which are coming up in the next several days), I have to say I'm already disappointed. I am sure the shows will be fun. They always are. But after 19 songs in Spokane 2017, and 17 songs in San Francisco (2014), this downward trend is concerning.
I'm wondering if someone just screwed up entering last night's set list on setlist.fm... 14 songs is uncharacteristically short. I hear ya about the overall set lists as well. 16 songs does feel a bit short, and I'd be fine with keeping the set list tight if they at least mixed things up a bit more. I hate to be an armchair critic... it's easy to nitpick when analyzing set lists on the internet. Of course whenever I actually attend a show, all of the criticisms melt away because the music is just so good.

Skywalker
Bought The CDs

Post by Skywalker »

That's the whole thing, I know I'll have a blast at the show. I always do. My whole family attends with me, we're all huge fans and have been since 2004. I just hate this trend of bands playing shorter sets, particularly when the ticket prices (which the band has no control over) keep going up and up. I'm in my 40s, I remember bands delivering 2+ hour headline performances. I'm not asking for that from AB, but making sure the set list is a solid 90 minutes of music doesn't seem like a big ask to me.

Anyway, looking forward to the gigs. Just hoping I get enough variance in the back-to-back sets to make my concerns go away.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Interestingly enough, the Denver set was updated to include 16 songs and according to one of the Youtube videos that has a full show of this leg, it went for slightly about 90 minutes (even after factoring the "break" before the encore and the One Life intro.) Still, I remember those days during Fortress and The Last Hero tours where they were cranking out 17-19 songs a night and going 100 minutes. Those were fine days.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

abw1987 wrote:
Skywalker wrote:Question. Looking at the last couple of shows, including last night, the sets seem shorter. Last night in particular, IF (and it's a big IF) setlist.fm is right (just 14 songs). I see that generally it is 16-ish.

Is Myles sick again?

I'm wondering if someone just screwed up entering last night's set list on setlist.fm... 14 songs is uncharacteristically short. I hear ya about the overall set lists as well. 16 songs does feel a bit short, and I'd be fine with keeping the set list tight if they at least mixed things up a bit more. I hate to be an armchair critic... it's easy to nitpick when analyzing set lists on the internet. Of course whenever I actually attend a show, all of the criticisms melt away because the music is just so good.
Can confirm - that setlist is accurate, and yes Myles is sick. He actually sounded great when he was singing but everytime he spoke between songs it sounded like he had just inhaled a bunch of helium :lol. Hard to fault the length of the setlist given his condition - I'm always left wanting more at the end of every show anyway!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

WaywardOne wrote:Can confirm - that setlist is accurate, and yes Myles is sick. He actually sounded great when he was singing but everytime he spoke between songs it sounded like he had just inhaled a bunch of helium :lol. Hard to fault the length of the setlist given his condition - I'm always left wanting more at the end of every show anyway!
Hey, that's been an issue I always have when it comes to seeing Myles live (with the exception of his acoustic solo show in 2018) in between songs. Myles being sick is a concern, but I hope he gets well before this Sunday.
Last edited by anguyen92 on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skywalker
Bought The CDs

Post by Skywalker »

Wayward - thanks for confirming. That sucks. Hope Myles feels better soon.

MrsPog
Bought The CDs

Post by MrsPog »

Oh no! Singing when you're sick sucks. Fingers crossed Myles is better soon.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Now that I have some time to reflect on today's tour announcement. Those cities are pretty friken lucky with the support they got while the west got Deepfall (which I guarantee no one here has heard of before AB announced the West Coast shows) and Clint Lowery (whose good and I liked his solo album a decent amount that he put out this year). To see BSC and Mike Mushok of Staind and Adam Gontier opening for AB. I wish I can make it to one of these dates, but I'm probably want to be done with traveling for a while by then and my May is already loaded with a lot of concerts.

What a loaded line-up.

Also a recent update to the prices on Stubhub for the LA show. $20.00 for a non-pit GA seat!!!! When I see prices like this, I question how much do I really value being 5 rows or less close to AB. Is it worth $50.00 compared to not caring about wanting to be close? Probably.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

anguyen92 wrote:
WaywardOne wrote:Can confirm - that setlist is accurate, and yes Myles is sick. He actually sounded great when he was singing but everytime he spoke between songs it sounded like he had just inhaled a bunch of helium :lol. Hard to fault the length of the setlist given his condition - I'm always left wanting more at the end of every show anyway!
Hey, that's been an issue I always have when it comes to seeing Myles live (with the exception of his acoustic solo show in 2018) in between songs. Myles being sick is a concern, but I hope he gets well before this Sunday.
I wouldn't worry too much. He inevitably get's sick on most tours but the dude is a pro's pro and it's amazing how little it affected his signing this time.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

All Ends Well, mostly

Post by gbruin »

We were able to get an earlier flight out of Baltimore back home to Denver and I got to the show after all. Having given away my tickets already, I bought another ticket while taxiing (yes, I know I should have been in airplane mode) and went straight from the airport to the venue in Denver arrived just before Deep Fall went on. Got to hang with one of my dear Jr High/HS buds who travelled from L.A. to see the show, too. Loved getting 4 ODR songs, and Forever Falling was a really cool surprise. I also got to see and sign the 5'x3' Colorado State flag with the Walk The Sky artwork printed in the center of the C that we passed around the line and road before the show to get fans to sign and leave a note for the band. A buddy and I dreamed that up and made that happen, so it was very cool to see it in person. Another friend who was on the rail handed it to Myles just before they left before the encore but the timing was a bit weird so Myles didn't really show it off, but it was still cool to see him holding it.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Ahh so glad you made it! What a twist.