Forever Falling: AB's best work since Blackbird title track?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Forever Falling: AB's best work since Blackbird title track?

Post by Blackbird »

Nope, Muffin. I strongly, strongly disagree. Crows is heavy and that's it. Isolation is heavy, groovy and has a lot of melody. These songs are really, really different.

Buffon
Bought The CDs

Post by Buffon »

Isolation is a much better song, as I'm pretty sure 90% of people will agree, but that's not the argument here.

Structurally, they're virtually identical. Isolation just does the formula better.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Buffon wrote:Isolation is a much better song, as I'm pretty sure 90% of people will agree, but that's not the argument here.

Structurally, they're virtually identical. Isolation just does the formula better.
If you're talking about technical stuff like song tempo or maybe similar drum patterns in the chorus, yes, you're right. If that's what primarily defines music for you, I guess both songs have a lot in common.

That's not what I focus on when listening to music though. I'm listening to melody, harmony and I'm focusing on the feelings a song evokes inside me. While the last aspect may be very subjective, Isolation and COAW are extremely different when it comes to melody and harmony.

And if you're talking song structure - what exactly do you mean? It's not like they're the only songs with a standard Intro - Verse - Pre-Chorus - Chorus - Verse - Pre-Chorus - Chorus - Bridge - Chorus - Outro pattern. And it's not like all of the parts are really identical either. The pre-chorus alone is totally different.

Buffon
Bought The CDs

Post by Buffon »

They're not the only songs with the standard pattern, no (far from it), but they are two particular examples where the structure is very, very closely followed. And yes, I do mean the tempos, drum fills, and just the general sense that you can layer one song on top of the other like Muffin says; I'd add Come to Life too (as I mentioned in my earlier post) since that's a better match for Crows's chorus and pre-chorus.

I can't think of two (or three) more similar-sounding songs in the catalog.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Still Remains and Last of Our Kind!

Jesterhead92
Bought The CDs

Post by Jesterhead92 »

Isolation is mad overrated imo. Main riff is cool, but I actually prefer Wouldn't You Rather. I think I'm like, way alone in this, but my favorite opening single is still Rise Today. Can't shake nostalgia sometimes and that song got me into the band.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

Wouldn't You Rather has nothing special to me, I don't have any love for it, I mean I only like the lyrics and the bridge, that's all

rscotta831
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rscotta831 »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
rscotta831 wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:Well, that's why I'm wondering why Wouldn't You Rather isn't getting more acclaim from people. I thing it's one of those tracks like Metalingus, Isolation, Addicted to Pain, and you can add Crows on a Wire to that list as well.

Again, I'm surprised that WYR isn't "more liked."
All four of the songs you named are light years more heavy and better than WYR. Not a bad song, just isn’t in my Top 50 AB songs.
Not in mine, either. I was just referring to style. I can blend Crows on a Wire and Isolation together, and you'd be convinced they are the same song with different lyrics (which, of course, is half of a song).
IMO, they’re two completely different songs. Yes they are both heavy. Love them both. Crows is among my fav AB songs.

rscotta831
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rscotta831 »

Buffon wrote:Crows on a Wire also suffers from being probably the biggest example of self-plagiarism in the AB catalog: a rewritten Isolation with Come to Life's chorus. Particularly notable when you listen to all three of them in the same set.
IMO, there’s nothing wrong with some self-plagiarism. AC/DC was arguably the most notorious band in rock history for this. And despite it, they still sold billions of albums. And fans still loved them. Had they veered off course during their prime and introduced something like Zepplin, their fans would have rioted.

I understand when a rock band has been together 15 years, esp in this era, you have to evolve some. And IMO, that’s exactly what AB has done with Walk The Sky. It is their anti-Last Hero album. They’ve gone from heavy long-play anthems with solos to shorter radio-friendly songs with next to no solos. And I don’t like it as much. But again, I understand rock bands have to evolve.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Blackbird wrote:Nope, Muffin. I strongly, strongly disagree. Crows is heavy and that's it. Isolation is heavy, groovy and has a lot of melody. These songs are really, really different.
I didn't see this post until now. I thought I'd at least whip up this tease.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19OXmd1 ... sp=sharing

Even the solo to their bridges is super identical haha.

I know what you mean, though. The songs are far different on my list regarding what they do and make me feel as a whole, but I heard two in a concert together and said: "Okay, you can do one... but don't do both. It's just taking away another song that we could have heard instead."

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Looks like we understand each other pretty well then. :) I know what you mean, too. And yeah, I also don't need both songs in a set. Isolation is one of the tracks that unfortunately don't really work live for me though. Somehow it loses a lot of its appeal that made it a song I instantly loved when I listened to it for the first time. I really don't like Crows as a song that much, but it was kinda good live.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I'm actually chuckling at how the title of this thread has backfired for the OP. It pains me to say it, but you're kind of asking for it by making such bold proclamations. :lol

Anyway, I too fall into the "definitely not" camp. This song as a stellar chorus and a gorgeous interlude, but the verses are plodding and I don't think Mark's voice is suited for their vocal range. It's in the album's lower tier for me.

I'm sure we'll get to hear it live plenty of times though. "Waters Rising" has proven very useful to give Myles a break in concert, and I'm guessing that's part of the reason they had Mark sing on another song this time around.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
Blackbird wrote:Nope, Muffin. I strongly, strongly disagree. Crows is heavy and that's it. Isolation is heavy, groovy and has a lot of melody. These songs are really, really different.
I didn't see this post until now. I thought I'd at least whip up this tease.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19OXmd1 ... sp=sharing

Even the solo to their bridges is super identical haha.

I know what you mean, though. The songs are far different on my list regarding what they do and make me feel as a whole, but I heard two in a concert together and said: "Okay, you can do one... but don't do both. It's just taking away another song that we could have heard instead."
haha
It happens all the time.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

it's one of the weaker songs just for the fact that mark sings. it's very obvious that he's a guitarist first and vocalist second. He has that mindset. He's not a great singer - he's not bad either - and we don't need him singing a song in every album from now on.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

nagpo wrote:it's one of the weaker songs just for the fact that mark sings. it's very obvious that he's a guitarist first and vocalist second. He has that mindset. He's not a great singer - he's not bad either - and we don't need him singing a song in every album from now on.
Well, there's a difference between we don't need him to sing a song and they (AB) want him to sing a song if they (and only they are the most important deciding factor, not the fans or anyone else) feel like it's the route they want to go in. I don't see any reasons why AB should limit themselves in that sense.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

anguyen92 wrote:
nagpo wrote:it's one of the weaker songs just for the fact that mark sings. it's very obvious that he's a guitarist first and vocalist second. He has that mindset. He's not a great singer - he's not bad either - and we don't need him singing a song in every album from now on.
Well, there's a difference between we don't need him to sing a song and they (AB) want him to sing a song if they (and only they are the most important deciding factor, not the fans or anyone else) feel like it's the route they want to go in. I don't see any reasons why AB should limit themselves in that sense.
because he sounds like a guitarist trying to be a singer.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Yeah, so? I think Myles mentioned he's always a guitarist first. He just happens to be a great singer.

Also, Waters Rising is great, Words Darker than their Wings is great, and Forever Falling is great and Mark sounds more than tolerable in those songs. If he wants to sing lead and we can get some great songs out of the process, why should AB limit themselves?

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

guys, this song fucking RIPS

i am officially putting it in my top 5 ab

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

abw1987 wrote:I'm actually chuckling at how the title of this thread has backfired for the OP. It pains me to say it, but you're kind of asking for it by making such bold proclamations. :lol
nah, in the long run this thread will be the perfect "i told you so"

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Yes you told me so, but you were wrong! :dance