Walk The Sky Production Quality.

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
nagpo
On The Rail

Re: Walk The Sky Production Quality.

Post by nagpo »

On the song where myles and mark both sing, I really don't know if I like the vocal mixing. One is louder than the other at various moments. it's vocal disorientation.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

nagpo wrote:On the song where myles and mark both sing, I really don't know if I like the vocal mixing. One is louder than the other at various moments. it's vocal disorientation.
Yeah I noticed that, it's similar at what happens between the solos on Slip To The Void

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

I feel like the production on Walk The Sky is slightly better than it was on The Last Hero... It's no Blackbird (their most perfectly mixed record?) but it doesn't totally hurt my ears like TLH did

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

nagpo wrote:On the song where myles and mark both sing, I really don't know if I like the vocal mixing. One is louder than the other at various moments. it's vocal disorientation.
Pretty sure that is done on purpose. WDTTW does a little bit of the same thing on the choruses but not as noticeable

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Jhenrid wrote:
Pretty sure that is done on purpose. WDTTW does a little bit of the same thing on the choruses but not as noticeable
Yeah I agree it was done on purpose. But I don't think it was a good idea. It's like, just pick a lead singer for the song

ShaneAnderson1290
Brand New Start

Post by ShaneAnderson1290 »

Has anyone managed to fool around with the EQ on TLH to make that sound better?

ShaneAnderson1290
Brand New Start

Has anyone managed to make TLH sound better?

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

ShaneAnderson1290 wrote:Has anyone managed to make TLH sound better?
You'd have to rewrite the entire album

ShaneAnderson1290
Brand New Start

I like the album itself, some songs are definitely weaker than the AB we’ve come to know and love, but I still feel it’s better than a lot of music coming out these days

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

https://rocksverige.se/intervju-myles-k ... er-bridge/
Q: You worked with Baskette again. Has he become your Bob Rock, as Bob Rock was to Metallica? Don´t you sometimes need someone to shake things up?
Myles: I understand that concept definitely and I think that if we knew that we were in situations where we felt it was getting stale, I would certainly consider that. But one of the really important things for us as writers, is getting into a situation with someone who we trust and I think that maybe that's the most important element, having someone in the studio environment that when we throw out ideas, at the end of the you know it will be something that will turn out, because there´s a proven track record. But with that said, it's certainly understandable that a band like Metallica, after years of working with Bob Rock, decided to shake things up. If it ever got to a point where we felt it was getting stale, it would certainly be something we'd consider.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

chtimixeur wrote:https://rocksverige.se/intervju-myles-k ... er-bridge/
Q: You worked with Baskette again. Has he become your Bob Rock, as Bob Rock was to Metallica? Don´t you sometimes need someone to shake things up?
Myles: I understand that concept definitely and I think that if we knew that we were in situations where we felt it was getting stale, I would certainly consider that. But one of the really important things for us as writers, is getting into a situation with someone who we trust and I think that maybe that's the most important element, having someone in the studio environment that when we throw out ideas, at the end of the you know it will be something that will turn out, because there´s a proven track record. But with that said, it's certainly understandable that a band like Metallica, after years of working with Bob Rock, decided to shake things up. If it ever got to a point where we felt it was getting stale, it would certainly be something we'd consider.
Well, that's mildly encouraging. Things got stale with The Last Hero, though.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, Metallica's relation with Bob Rock lasted for 12+ years and four studio albums of original material. AB's relation with Elvis is 12+ years and counting and five studio albums.

Do I see them switching producers at this point if there's a next album? The important word for AB in why they keep going with Elvis is Trust, but with trust comes the willingness to adapt and everyone being ok with being along for the ride when the time has come to shake things up. People feel like AB needs to shake things up with the way their recent albums have been produced, so I think if they feel the need to want to keep working with Elvis, then they and Elvis has to rethink a couple of important flaws on the recording process of the albums.

I think AB, as a whole, is ok with Elvis doing the things when it comes to the layering and let the guy drive the ship in that front and don't see it as a big flaw to their studio sound as the people that are annoyed about it (rightfully). However, if I recall correctly, when it came to the creation of Year of the Tiger, Myles had to put his foot down to inform Elvis to not go crazy on the layering and that worked out really well. How come the same case can't be said here for AB?

littledreamer
Brand New Start

Post by littledreamer »

I don't see a problem still working with Baskette, but a new sound guy is needed. Listen to Myles on the Slash record Living The Dream, the band sounds great, full, powerful, clear. Why shouldn't we experience that for AB?

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

I heard murmurs of an ODR sequel possibly happening someday, perhaps even to bookend the band's career under the spotlight before going into some hiatus. Should that happen, I hope they bring back Ben Grosse for that.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

prslover wrote:Give me one guitar that sounds as good as the intro for Shed my Skin or Broken Wings, just track one guitar that sounds that good and i'll never say anything bad about EB again. Holdup lemme hop in my time machine and go back to 2005 to deliver that message and change the future.
Can we include just one layer of Myles, too? He's the best singer in the world. More is not better. You cannot add to infinity. And of course Mark can harmonize, but just one of each. That's all anything ever needs.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

nagpo wrote:
Jhenrid wrote:
Yeah I agree it was done on purpose. But I don't think it was a good idea. It's like, just pick a lead singer for the song
If you're talking about Forever Falling, that vocal blending is basically what saves the chorus from being weak as fuck for me.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I still feel like we're missing an important variable here. Elvis and Jef were the main hands behind A Dying Machine and Year of the Tiger, and neither of those albums (nor pretty much anything else they touch) have the "issues" that The Last Hero and, now, Walk The Sky have seen. I don't think it's an Elvis / Jef issue. Alter Bridge albums are the only ones that get this big muddy sound, and I really think it's just the band themselves trying too hard to over-layer and keep that big wall of sound on the record.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

TenaciousBe wrote:I still feel like we're missing an important variable here. Elvis and Jef were the main hands behind A Dying Machine and Year of the Tiger, and neither of those albums (nor pretty much anything else they touch) have the "issues" that The Last Hero and, now, Walk The Sky have seen.
Yep, that's what I've been pointing at this entire time.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

TenaciousBe wrote:I still feel like we're missing an important variable here. Elvis and Jef were the main hands behind A Dying Machine and Year of the Tiger, and neither of those albums (nor pretty much anything else they touch) have the "issues" that The Last Hero and, now, Walk The Sky have seen. I don't think it's an Elvis / Jef issue. Alter Bridge albums are the only ones that get this big muddy sound, and I really think it's just the band themselves trying too hard to over-layer and keep that big wall of sound on the record.
I'm just going to go ahead and say that I wasn't floored by the sound of Year of the Tiger though, either. Doesn't sound anything like ODR or BB. Myles is so thinned out on it. I think the only thing that stopped it from sounding like a wall of sound is not having the extra heavy instruments.

I haven't absorbed the sound of A Dying Machine before.

littledreamer
Brand New Start

Post by littledreamer »

Okay, I've uploaded a link to EQ files for Audacity if any of you want to use them to try. I've ripped WTS to FLAC, opened in Audacity, applied these EQ potions, and enjoyed. This is likely my final attempt at polishing the turd of WTS production. Honestly, to me, I think I did a pretty decent job...YMMV. My goal was production as close to ODR as possible, and similar to the latest Slipknot as a benchmark. I can actually hear Brian's bassline decently now, not overpowered by the kick drum.

THESE ARE NOT MUSIC FILES, JUST .XML FILES FOR AUDACITY EQing! I'm not comfortable sharing my actual work...

Enjoy if you care! You should be able to download the folder as per usual in Google Drive.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

:cheers :cheers :cheers