Page 26 of 33

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:07 am
by AB4Lyfe
WaywardOne wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:
VigilantSteve wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:1. Periphery-like intro guitar
2. Minute long intro
3. The moment when the riff kicks in :)

Yeah is a favorite of mine.

Hmm...maybe I should check out some Periphery


Listen to Satellites by Periphery. It’s fucking amazing. Or Lune.


Wow, thanks for the suggestion, I always thought Periphery was too harsh vocally for me but those two songs are amazing. Sounds very much like A Day To Remember meets Skyharbor to me.


Now check out Marigold, Stranger Things, and The Scourge.

And...hooked.

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:31 am
by TheEndisHere
nagpo wrote:Not a bad song on this record

Best line on the record might be "And then the days they ran out"


That's a great line, a contender for my favorite. The other contenders are "Like a counterfeit, I've had enough of this" (1st time in Clear horizon, when it's lower and grungy), "Here we go again, it's coming on just like before/The same old sinking feeling pulls me down an endless hole" (dying light both times, especially the 2nd time), and "I am still/ As the moment I hold in my hand/I can't let go" (in the deep). Those grab me every time

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:43 am
by Timotheus
List time!

1. Godspeed
2. Walking On The Sky
3. Pay No Mind
4. Dying Light
5. Indoctrination
6. The Bitter End
7. Tear Us Apart
8. In The Deep
9. Clear Horizon
10. Take The Crown
11. Native Son
12. Wouldn't You Rather
13. Forever Falling

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:19 am
by fix
1. Dying Light
2. Walking On The Sky
3. Forever Falling
4. Clear Horizon
5. Native Son
6. Indoctrination
7. Pay No Mind
8. Take The Crown
9. In The Deep
10. Wouldn't You Rather
11. The Bitter End
12. Godspeed


31. Tear Us Apart

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:39 pm
by gbruin
Does Indoctrination sound like it could have fit both musically and lyrically in A Dying Machine? I can imagine those lyrics and that wicked tone of the song coming from Ares' as he boasts - and secretly mocks - those he has control over.

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:55 pm
by Blackbird
gbruin wrote:Does Indoctrination sound like it could have fit both musically and lyrically in A Dying Machine? I can imagine those lyrics and that wicked tone of the song coming from Ares' as he boasts - and secretly mocks - those he has control over.

The chorus sounds like it's been directly taken from a Slash feat. Myles album.

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:35 pm
by Ubik
For some reason it helps me visualise it better when I intersperse the order among my TLH order! The Godspeed-Take the Crown bunch are all very close together and will mix depending on my mood. Bottom level of this album is Fortress-esque.

Island of Fools
The Last Hero
---------------------------------Walking on the Sky
This Side of Fate
Cradle to the Grave
---------------------------------Forever Falling
---------------------------------Dying Light
---------------------------------Indoctrination
The Other Side
---------------------------------Godspeed
---------------------------------Native Son
---------------------------------Pay No Mind
---------------------------------Clear Horizon
---------------------------------Take the Crown
Writing on the Wall
---------------------------------In the Deep
---------------------------------One Life
---------------------------------Wouldn't You Rather
---------------------------------Tear Us Apart
Crows on a Wire
---------------------------------The Bitter End
Show Me a Leader
Losing Patience
My Champion
Twilight
Poison in Your Veins
You Will Be Remembered

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:43 pm
by cheesedip1
I think the worst songs from album might be Introdication or Tear Us Apart. Also Forever Falling is given too much credit, its not as good a song as others think. Also the song doesnt sound like an AB song. Also chorus could be better.

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:56 pm
by SHEAKENBAKEN
Ubik wrote:For some reason it helps me visualise it better when I intersperse the order among my TLH order! The Godspeed-Take the Crown bunch are all very close together and will mix depending on my mood. Bottom level of this album is Fortress-esque.

Island of Fools
The Last Hero
---------------------------------Walking on the Sky
This Side of Fate
Cradle to the Grave
---------------------------------Forever Falling
---------------------------------Dying Light
---------------------------------Indoctrination
The Other Side
---------------------------------Godspeed
---------------------------------Native Son
---------------------------------Pay No Mind
---------------------------------Clear Horizon
---------------------------------Take the Crown
Writing on the Wall
---------------------------------In the Deep
---------------------------------One Life
---------------------------------Wouldn't You Rather
---------------------------------Tear Us Apart
Crows on a Wire
---------------------------------The Bitter End
Show Me a Leader
Losing Patience
My Champion
Twilight
Poison in Your Veins
You Will Be Remembered


Ubik inspired me to try to do the same and this is what I came up with.

The Last Hero
This Side of Fate
--------------------------------- Forever Falling
--------------------------------- Dying Light
Symphony of Agony
Cradle To The Grave
The Other Side
Island of Fools
--------------------------------- Indoctrination
--------------------------------- Clear Horizon
--------------------------------- Native Son
--------------------------------- Walking On The Sky
--------------------------------- Godspeed
Writing On The Wall
Crows On A Wire
Losing Patience
--------------------------------- Tear Us Apart
--------------------------------- The Bitter End
--------------------------------- Wouldn't You Rather
Twilight
--------------------------------- In The Deep
--------------------------------- Take The Crown
--------------------------------- Pay No Mind
--------------------------------- One Life
Poison In Your Veins
Show Me A Leader
My Champion
You Will Be Remembered

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:04 pm
by Ubik
Am I crazy here, or does One Life merge reeaaaally well with Clear Horizon?

Has a similarly dreamy intro, using a very similar voice. And imagine that godly riff being the first heaviness on the album. Even uses "clear escape" in both songs! (EDIT - clear and pure escape, DAMMIT)

I am hereafter a "Clear Horizon was meant for track two" truther.

EDIT - and good stuff Shea!

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:43 pm
by nagpo
Andy92 wrote:
scarecrow wrote:
UninvitedZero wrote:I've been having trouble getting into Clear Horizon as well. Something about that chorus sounds all Slash and The Conspirators


I just find it kind of boring. Someone said Myles didn't want it on the album and Tim had to convince him to include it?

I saw it on the Ao12 Facebook page. Someone commented saying they really liked Clear Horizons and Tim commented telling that story about having to fight for it lol

It reminds me of one of those AB3 b-sides where it doesn't make the record despite being better than most of the songs on the actual record. I'm glad it did make the record

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:35 pm
by MuffinMcFluffin
Ubik wrote:Am I crazy here, or does One Life merge reeaaaally well with Clear Horizon?

Has a similarly dreamy intro, using a very similar voice. And imagine that godly riff being the first heaviness on the album. Even uses "clear escape" in both songs! (EDIT - clear and pure escape, DAMMIT)

I am hereafter a "Clear Horizon was meant for track two" truther.

I ono, whatcha think?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sVS1iq ... sp=sharing

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:55 pm
by scarecrow
I liked Godspeed, then I didn't, then I thought it was okay, now I really like it.

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:02 am
by scarecrow
I also finally figured out what parts of Indoctrination remind me of! Pet by A Perfect Circle!

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:42 am
by TheEndisHere
scarecrow wrote:I also finally figured out what parts of Indoctrination remind me of! Pet by A Perfect Circle!

I can definitely hear that. Indoctrination reminds me of Alice in Chains and Tool and APC is basically Tool.

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:00 pm
by Ubik
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:I ono, whatcha think?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sVS1iq ... sp=sharing

This is now my headcanon.

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:24 pm
by anguyen92
Sadly, Walk The Sky didn't win the race for #1 in the UK charts. They got to #4 behind Foals (#1), James Arthur (#2), and an Ed Sheeran (#3) album (that came out months ago???????). Now I don't mind Ed Sheeran, but an album released months ago certainly shouldn't sell more copies than new albums of well known acts, unless you are uber popular like..... Ed Sheeran and T. Swift........

https://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=318 ... N-THE-RACE

I shudder to think how it's going to do in the states. I don't see them cracking Top 10. Big pop albums that are streamed heavily would have a hammerlock on those spots and AB doesn't have the biggest presence on areas like Spotify and the likes.

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:46 pm
by scarecrow
never mind this post

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:55 pm
by MuffinMcFluffin
Posted in the wrong thread the first time.

Okay, I think these are my rankings for now. As others say, I don't think there is a bad song on this album (I think the same for AB III as well, which is one big reason it's been my top album... but more on that discussion later).

The Last Hero
Island of Fools
-------------------------------Forever Falling
This Side of Fate
-------------------------------Godspeed
The Other Side
-------------------------------Walking On The Sky
Cradle To The Grave
-------------------------------Wouldn't You Rather
-------------------------------Dying Light
Writing On The Wall
-------------------------------Take the Crown
-------------------------------Clear Horizon
-------------------------------The Bitter End
Crows On A Wire
My Champion
-------------------------------Pay No Mind
-------------------------------Indoctrination
Poison In Your Veins
-------------------------------Native Son
Show Me A Leader
-------------------------------Tear Us Apart
Losing Patience
-------------------------------In The Deep
You Will Be Remembered
Twilight
Symphony of Agony


I am not including One Life on this list, and if I did it would pitfall way at the bottom. It is not without its merits, but I just don't feel it qualifies nor does it work as a standalone. It merely preludes, and even with that I've heard much better. Not a big fan of the "airy" sound that AB does at times (as done with Lover, Slip to the Void, etc.).

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:13 pm
by Ubik
anguyen92 wrote:Sadly, Walk The Sky didn't win the race for #1 in the UK charts. They got to #4 behind Foals (#1), James Arthur (#2), and an Ed Sheeran (#3) album (that came out months ago???????). Now I don't mind Ed Sheeran, but an album released months ago certainly shouldn't sell more copies than new albums of well known acts, unless you are uber popular like..... Ed Sheeran and T. Swift........

https://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=318 ... N-THE-RACE

I shudder to think how it's going to do in the states. I don't see them cracking Top 10. Big pop albums that are streamed heavily would have a hammerlock on those spots and AB doesn't have the biggest presence on areas like Spotify and the likes.

Ed Sheeran is basically all we hear about over here so not too surprising. It's a shame it couldn't match TLH's #3, but still two spots higher than Fortress.