Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Post by Arctic »

The Bitter End is way better than YWBR, it’s a fairly decent shorter song.

Also, Forever Falling is an instant favorite of mine. My only complaint so far: dammit these songs could be longer. I get they had a limited window and were being concise, but unleash more of this into my ears already. This is good stuff but I selfishly want 7 and 8 minutes of it lol.

Oh and people have been underselling the title track. Damn.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Tear Us Apart makes me smile. Think this will be the sleeper and would be amazing live

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Arctic wrote:The Bitter End is way better than YWBR, it’s a fairly decent shorter song.

Also, Forever Falling is an instant favorite of mine. My only complaint so far: dammit these songs could be longer. I get they had a limited window and were being concise, but unleash more of this into my ears already. This is good stuff but I selfishly want 7 and 8 minutes of it lol.

Oh and people have been underselling the title track. Damn.

Its so intricate i love it. Might have picked it as the closer myself and swapped it with Dying Light. AB kill the title tracks

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Overall I think that is a great, extremely solid album. Walking On the Sky, Forever Falling, Godspeed, Indoctrination, Clear Horizon, and Tear Us Apart are all standouts. Like I said before, my main gripe with this album is that it just feels like the songs are too short. Maybe that’s because I’m enjoying them so much but I really think some of these could be more fleshed out. The stuff I love about Alter Bridge is all there; great melodies, soaring vocals, crushing riffs. One other negative is there isn’t enough soloing, but maybe there’s only so much of that you can do over the years.

8.5/10 - very good album on first listen, the guitar work is nice, Myles sounds much better than he did on The Last Hero in my opinion, and there are several songs I absolutely love. Negatives are as stated; feels too short at times, not enough solo work to satisfy my needs.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Arctic wrote:Overall I think that is a great, extremely solid album. Walking On the Sky, Forever Falling, Godspeed, Indoctrination, Clear Horizon, and Tear Us Apart are all standouts. Like I said before, my main gripe with this album is that it just feels like the songs are too short. Maybe that’s because I’m enjoying them so much but I really think some of these could be more fleshed out. The stuff I love about Alter Bridge is all there; great melodies, soaring vocals, crushing riffs. One other negative is there isn’t enough soloing, but maybe there’s only so much of that you can do over the years.

8.5/10 - very good album on first listen, the guitar work is nice, Myles sounds much better than he did on The Last Hero in my opinion, and there are several songs I absolutely love. Negatives are as stated; feels too short at times, not enough solo work to satisfy my needs.

Yep agreed so much. Some songs are begging for a solo or an extended bridge. Clear Horizon was begging for a closing solo for example

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

It's arrived! And not a moment to soon! I was just about to peruse KingdomLeaks to find a download... :facepalm

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I'm not saying they have to sound like the Killers, but more than half of these songs are pop rock songs and they're recorded and mixed as if they're metal songs. I don't get why they're doing this. They're such guitar and tone nerds...

The album itself was very interesting, and I'll give it a few more listens, to let the new songs sink in. There were a lot of songs I liked, so yay for new AB music! Boo for the confusing sound though.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

LosingPatience wrote:
Arctic wrote:Overall I think that is a great, extremely solid album. Walking On the Sky, Forever Falling, Godspeed, Indoctrination, Clear Horizon, and Tear Us Apart are all standouts. Like I said before, my main gripe with this album is that it just feels like the songs are too short. Maybe that’s because I’m enjoying them so much but I really think some of these could be more fleshed out. The stuff I love about Alter Bridge is all there; great melodies, soaring vocals, crushing riffs. One other negative is there isn’t enough soloing, but maybe there’s only so much of that you can do over the years.

Yep agreed so much. Some songs are begging for a solo or an extended bridge. Clear Horizon was begging for a closing solo for example
Definitely. It’s like my brain is waiting for more on a bunch of these songs, but at this point I’m just going to enjoy what we‘ve got.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Myles vocals in Clear Horizon though, kind of hard to explain but the delivery is just so perfect

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

I'm tempted to give a short opinion on each song later (in the same vein as a track by track review), but just generally speaking I am beyond relieved! In some places the goosebumps were coming out in full force, I just love this album. Forever Falling, Walking on the Sky and Dying Light are tied for personal favourites, but having said that I've really taken to every "unheard/non-single" song.
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Yeah, In the Deep kind of had me tilted for a bit, lol, but it’s definitely at the very bottom of the album.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Arctic wrote:Yeah, In the Deep kind of had me tilted for a bit, lol, but it’s definitely at the very bottom of the album.

Thats the song that made me lose hope but im even coming around on that, but bottom of the list for me

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

Listening to the album right now. I'll give my opinion later but I am definitely pleased with that.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

John3977
Brand New Start

Post by John3977 »

What’s the deal here in New Zealand? It’s friday and Walk the sky isn’t on Spotify yet??

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

A couple notes, One Life has a very Mayfield Four sound to it. A certain song even comes to mind but I can’t place it exactly, I’d have to flip through Second Skin for a bit. And someone was talking about how there’s usually a ‘surprise hit’ on each album. This ones is definitely Tear Us Apart for me, it’s so unexpectedly charming.

Edit: found the Mayfield Four song, it reminds me a lot of White Flag.
Last edited by Arctic on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

First impressions on listening to all of the non singles properly for the first time:

- There isn’t a bad song, the album is consistently good.
- Melodies are fantastic
- Some of the riffage is exceptional
- Lack of guitar solos - this is a bit of a problem for me. I’m not suggesting every song has to have one, but for me personally a great solo adds a completely different dimension to a song. By my count, these are the songs that have no guitar solo:

Native Son
Indoctrination
The Bitter End
Pay No Mind
Clear Horizon
Tear Us Apart

That’s nearly half the album. Plus the solos that are on the album are relatively short compared to most other AB albums.

All in all, very impressive album with the only downers being the lack of an epic and a relative lack of solos.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

Arctic wrote:A couple notes, One Life has a very Mayfield Four sound to it. A certain song even comes to mind but I can’t place it exactly, I’d have to flip through Second Skin for a bit. And someone was talking about how there’s usually a ‘surprise hit’ on each album. This ones is definitely Tear Us Apart for me, it’s so unexpectedly charming.
Believe

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Blackbirddd wrote:
Arctic wrote:A couple notes, One Life has a very Mayfield Four sound to it. A certain song even comes to mind but I can’t place it exactly, I’d have to flip through Second Skin for a bit. And someone was talking about how there’s usually a ‘surprise hit’ on each album. This ones is definitely Tear Us Apart for me, it’s so unexpectedly charming.
Believe
That one too. I thought White Flag at first, but this might be closer. Bit of a mix.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

I've been waiting to ask this, but those sounds at the beginning of Native Son. Is it just me or is that the same sound that plays for one of the logos when the DVD for RAH loads? I've haven't checked the DVD to confirm it, but it immediately made me think of it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Arctic wrote:My only complaint so far: dammit these songs could be longer. I get they had a limited window and were being concise, but unleash more of this into my ears already. This is good stuff but I selfishly want 7 and 8 minutes of it lol.
On the plus side, it's a great thing when a song or album leaves you wanting more. I've heard plenty of music where the song went on too long or had parts seemingly gratuitously added for their own sake that bogged it down and made it just too hard to listen to. Dream Theater does this for me a lot with too much guitar or keyboard wankery. On the other hand, Iron Maiden has a bunch of 10 minute songs that repeat a riff 4 times and leave me dying for it to go on for another 6 minutes. It's such a fine line whether another 8 bars of a solo add to a song or just wear it out. I rather have the latter and just replay the song and love it rather than have my mind start wandering 2/3rds of the way through.

Of course, when I am the last human in the world to receive my copy and finally listen to it, I may feel differently. ;)
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die