Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Post by One Drew Remains »

Postman failed me again! NEWMAN!!!
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

It's more that we just wait 3 years for a new album, almost on the dot. We know that whenever we hear new AB music, we won't again for 3 more years. So you wait one year... two years, and then this year finally rolls around. The slow wait until the autumn months begin.

All of that waiting for one hour of your time to be blown away and have that same "they're back!" feeling. But I listened to it, and the entire time I was thinking "this is it?" I read a lot of the positive reviews, but when I heard those respective songs. I didn't think that they could even hold a candle to TLH or TSOF. The best song on this album, Dying Light or Bitter End imo, would be the 5th or 6th best song on Fortress, and even further down on Blackbird.

So now it's kinda like "I guess I gotta wait 3 more years to see if they opt for their old formula." All of that waiting just feels like a dud.

That's just what's going through my head. But like all other AB albums, I'm sure it'll be polarizing. Some people may love it. I just don't. After 3 play thoughts, it's without question their worst work to me. Normally the singles are always the worst (or at least bottom half) of songs on their album, but the singles felt almost interchangeable with the other songs on this one. Just short, pretty generic songs where they purposefully try out a new instrument for like 3 seconds worth of the song and never go back to the instrument again. Some catchy choruses, but 0 risk taking by Myles, hardly any memorable solos outside of Dying Light, and worst of all, about 80% of the time Myles sings, his voice is just overlaid to all hell and back.

Still my fav band of all time. I'll never forget the feeling I had when I first heard the Blackbird chorus, Cry of Achilles, or Words. But I think it's a shame that they decided to go the conservative route and choose not to have one of those lengthier, complex epics. Happy for those that enjoy it though. I know the feeling well. I just didn't have it for this one, and I hardly had it for the last one (except for 2-3 songs).

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

abw1987 wrote:Thanks for starting this thread! The AB VI Studio/Recording thread has run its course many times over. :lol

Looking forward to sharing my thoughts – USPS shows my order arriving Thursday. :headbang
Hey, that's my best thread ever!! (even if I stole the idea from Ubik!) :lol :lol

Mine is arriving Thursday night by USPS at 8pm, but the mail delivery comes at 3pm, so I figure I'm getting frozen out until Friday. Argh!! :pout How do so many people get it days early? Is it just luck??

I guess I could just post a review of the album without hearing it like some others. :shifty
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Checks order status... "Arriving 22nd October" :slam

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Crumbso wrote:Checks order status... "Arriving 22nd October" :slam
Amazon by any chance? Was the same for me, ended up ordering another from that Juno site and it dispatched earlier today so I've cancelled the amazon one now. Only thing is, if that doesn't arrive tomorrow, if I'd kept the amazon one I'd have at least been able to listen with autorip after midnight tomorrow... but I spose it'll be streaming then anyway.
For all of the hope that it brings...

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Skipping the pre-release tracks cause I’m sure I reacted to them on the forums in some fashion...

One Life - It gives me Schlip Vibes, the way Myles sings the main vocal. I like the atmosphere this song creates. Nice short little introduction to the album. Doesnt drag on. But ultimately because of its short length, it’s at the bottom of the album for me (1/5)

Godspeed - I like how they changed things up a bit by introducing a piano to their music on this track. Although its role may be short it was still a nice touch. This track turned out to be a lot more upbeat than I had imagined for its subject matter. But I can see how they wanted to try and keep that positive tone/mentality. A touching tribute to Marks friend, indeed. Nice harmonies from Mark throughout. The solo, although rather short, IMO, still had a good flow and tone to it. Overall this song is somewhere in the middle of the album for me. (3/5)

Native Son - This song is a straight banger. I love the fact that after that first riff kicks in it’s nonstop barrage of riffage from then on. There’s a part in the riff ( 1:56-1:58) for example that just gets stuck in my head for hours after hearing it. very catchy to my ears) Very catchy chorus. One of the best songs on the album for me. (4/5)

Indoctrination - The super sludgy intro riff is so good. Another memorable riff sure to get stuck in my head throughout the day. Myles’ voice in the intro/verse is so sultry and smooth on top of that sludgy riff its perfect combination. After watching the interview where they mention Myles’ growl/vocal swell I cant help but focus on that every time it comes up. Also like the eastern sounding instruments part in the intro, again a welcome addition to their sound. One of my favorite choruses in the album. I cant help but sing along to it. This track also features one of the stronger bridges on the album, IMO. So There’s nothing about this song that I dont like. Its top 3 material for me. (4.5/5)

The Bitter End - I was initially skeptical about this song and Tear Us Apart because they were the ‘ballads’ of the album and I was hoping they’d be an improvement from TLHs...And I was not disappointed. It’s a solid song, nice vocal performance from Myles. There’s parts of this song that give me major Year of The Tiger vibes vocally. Specifically the bridge, but that’s not a negative thing. Just an observation. The Outro is probably my favorite part of the song. Its another one of those songs that’s in the middle of the album for me. (3/5)

Forever Falling - The acoustic intro is so classic Tremonti I was so happy when I first heard it. They really need to have acoustic parts featured in their songs more. The main riff in this song is so fucking good, I love how fast and heavy it is. The bridge riff is also cool. Wish they extended it a bit more, though. Marks vocals in the verses/bridge are yet again pretty amazing seeing where he started from way back in 2010 on Words till now. His vocals are the highlight of the song for me. But Myles of course does a great job on the chorus. This song has one my favorite choruses on the album. This solo might contain a few of Marks signature licks and patterns, but thats okay because I still thought it was a great solo in the song as a whole. This is my favorite song on the album. (5/5)

Clear Horizon - The intro part with the delay FX is something I don’t think I’ve ever really heard from these guys and that was awesome to hear. Love Myles’ softer vocals in the intro. And that guitar part that also features in the intro/outro underneath his vocals is so atmospheric. Love it. When the main riff kicked in I was so surprised I had no idea it was gonna go this direction. But it’s such a fun riff to my ears. One of the better riffs on the album for sure. Another great pre-chorus & chorus from the boys. The bridge might be the weakest part of the song for me, but I still like it. This one is again near the top of the album in my ranking. (4/5)

Walking On The Sky - Not sure what effect they use on the intro but again it’s something different for them so I appreciate them trying new approaches to the music. When the first verse played I was thinking this might be another soft song but then the main riff in the chorus played and I was corrected lol. I like the dynamics of the big boomy chorus and the laid back verses. The bridge is the highlight of the song for me. Great lyrics, vocals, melody. A decent solo from Tremonti to close out the song. Not his usual approach/sound when soloing which again is great. One of the songs on the upper-half of the album for me. (3.5/5)

Tear Us Apart - Even though this is one of the ballad-like tracks on the album, I dont know if its the guitar tone or the riff but the very beginning of the song gave me Gojira - Flying Whales vibes and its not even a heavy song :lol A great message lyrically and a good vocal performance from Myles. Maybe its just his vocal tone as he’s aged but like with The Bitter End, in some areas of the song his voice sounds like a Year of The Tiger song, I can’t explain why I get that vibe though. :lol One of the songs on the album that kind of lands in the middle for me. (3/5)

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

gbruin wrote:
abw1987 wrote:Thanks for starting this thread! The AB VI Studio/Recording thread has run its course many times over. :lol

Looking forward to sharing my thoughts – USPS shows my order arriving Thursday. :headbang
Hey, that's my best thread ever!! (even if I stole the idea from Ubik!) :lol :lol

Mine is arriving Thursday night by USPS at 8pm, but the mail delivery comes at 3pm, so I figure I'm getting frozen out until Friday. Argh!! :pout How do so many people get it days early? Is it just luck??

I guess I could just post a review of the album without hearing it like some others. :shifty
I think I’m in the same boat. Mine shows 8pm Thursday, but I get the mail at like 10am. I’ll probably get it Friday.
Photobucket cash grab.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, I got an expected date for my package as well. Friday, 8:00 PM. That's not going to stop me from playing it on Spotify when 9:00 PM PST hits tomorrow.

slasherbridge
White Knuckled

Post by slasherbridge »

Listened all the way through this morning. Initial reaction is that it probably sits in 4th place as far as album rankings for me. I love and appreciate that they decided to go a different direction on this album. I hope they continue to do this kind of thing, but I also hope they try to spend more time on it next time to really flesh out the ideas, as I feel like a few of these songs ultimately had more to offer in terms of direction and content. Perhaps that was their goal, but I felt myself longing for one of the "epic" Alter Bridge songs.

One thing that really jumped out at me was how all-encompassing this record was. I could pick out songs that could have fit on One Day Remains all the way through The Last Hero. There were also moments where I could hear bits of Tremonti (the band) and Year of the Tiger. Hell, even some Mayfield Four (particularly during Clear Horizon in the intro vocals).

Favorite songs are Dying Light, Clear Horizon, and Godspeed so far.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

In two days, my order has moved an hour closer to its destination... Still stuck in a facility three hours away for no particular reason? Delivery TOMORROW hopefully...

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

UninvitedZero wrote:In two days, my order has moved an hour closer to its destination... Still stuck in a facility three hours away for no particular reason? Delivery TOMORROW hopefully...
Go to the facility and demand they give you your order now!! :lol

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, my package is current at the DENVER CO DISTRIBUTION CENTER in Denver. Greg, if you want to do a favor for both of us, you go there and demand them to release our packages now!!!!!
Last edited by anguyen92 on Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

I can't believe so many of you listened to previews YESTERDAY!! Learn some self-control! :P

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

scarecrow wrote:I can't believe so many of you listened to previews YESTERDAY!! Learn some self-control! :P
What's wrong about that

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

I gave them a quick listen through... Wasn't enough of a taste of anything to latch onto...

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Blackbirddd wrote:
scarecrow wrote:I can't believe so many of you listened to previews YESTERDAY!! Learn some self-control! :P
What's wrong about that
It's so much more enjoyable to experience an entire song for the first time!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Any one got any better ideas as to who wrote which song after hearing the rest of the album? This is my current assumption based off either my gut or interview confirmation...If anyone has a source citing who did certain songs that I have under the wrong name then feel free to post so I can swap it.

Mark
Godspeed
Take The Crown
The Bitter End
Pay No Mind
Forever Falling
Tear Us Apart

Myles
One Life
Wouldn't You Rather
In The Deep
Native Son
Indoctrination
Clear Horizon (not 100% sure)
Walking On The Sky (not 100% sure)

Both
Dying Light (said to be a song that was mostly created from a joint effort like past albums, I believe)

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Yeah. I'm steering clear of any previews.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

After getting to listen this album alot by now, I just have to say thank you AB for making some songs I can feel happy to. ABIII was there for me when I was depressed and lost, and now this album is here for me when I'm happy as shit. I have a beautiful wife. I have a wonderful 9 month old daughter. It's just nice to have some uplifting feel good music from my favorite band. This album is awesome to me y'all.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:After getting to listen this album alot by now, I just have to say thank you AB for making some songs I can feel happy to. ABIII was there for me when I was depressed and lost, and now this album is here for me when I'm happy as shit. I have a beautiful wife. I have a wonderful 9 month old daughter. It's just nice to have some uplifting feel good music from my favorite band. This album is awesome to me y'all.
Yeah, I think this is how I'm going to feel as well after listening to Walk to the Sky in my house. ABIII got me through some pretty dark times as well and years later, I feel better than I have been. Got a decent paying job. Been to 20+ concerts this year, none better than the two shows I was at in the East Coast for AB (listening party and the first official show at the Walk the Sky tour). Walk the Sky is probably help me put these bright moments of life, this year, in perspective.