Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Post by LosingPatience »

DCooper727 wrote:
DCooper727 wrote:Hmm. I feel like I may end up where AB23 is at, as I really enjoy all the progressive/epic elements that the band has had on TLH and Fortress, so if those elements are gone and the songs feel rushed, then I probably won't enjoy it. I still haven't heard the rest of the album, but I haven't been super positive about the 5 singles they released, either.
Gonna quote my own post here...I was wrong. Can definitely see what they were going for and I really enjoy a lot of the songs. It's really Wouldn't You Rather and In the Deep (I will skip this song for the rest of time) that I don't like at all. Once Godspeed hits, I love the rest of the album. There's some really cool new directions for a lot of the songs, such as the sludgy as hell Indoctrination, which reminded me of AiC a lot, Clear Horizon reminds me of Ties that Bind and I love Native Son. Overall, very happy. Back to back, this is leagues better than The Last Hero, though I think it would have been absolutely perfect had they put an epic where WYR is and worked out Dying Light some more.

Only song i sometimes skip on TLH is My Champion sometimes You Will Be Remembered, im already skipping WYR, ITD and possibly Indoctrination find it overrated already

nildiven
Bought The CDs

Post by nildiven »

LosingPatience wrote:
RevenantGB wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:Not sure i agree it leaves TLH in the dust, nothing on here is topping TSOF,Island or Cradle for me and TLH actually had guitar solos but still its a great album
Dying Light their weakest closer off all the albums

Great album overall but like i said aint topping those 3 for me
I think I might give dying light the nod over end is here and wayward one, even though I love both those songs too.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

My first thoughts are that it’s definitely a substantial improvement to TLH. I think the songwriting approach really helped this time around with Mark and Myles bringing full songs in instead of song parts to mesh together. My one downside is that the album is more lacking on guitar solos, but it seems very focused on the songwriting and less focused on individual riffs/solos which does in its own way feel refreshing. I can see what they wanted to do with their approach to this album.

It’s hard to tell where I’d rank this one overall. I think I enjoy it about equally to AB III. It’s gonna be hard to top the quality of Fortress, Blackbird, and One Day Remains, but to get an album that’s on the same level as where I’d put AB III, that’s a super enjoyable record.

I’m really, really loving Godspeed and Forever Falling. Clear Horizon and Walking on the Sky were two big surprises as well. Like a few others have said, The Bitter End and Tear Us Apart are probably the weaker ones of the album. They’re basically the Farther Than The Sun and Cry A River of this album for me.

In summary, it’s not perfect but I love it lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

LosingPatience wrote: Only song i sometimes skip on TLH is My Champion sometimes You Will Be Remembered, im already skipping WYR, ITD and possibly Indoctrination find it overrated already
This is where we differ then. I skip the majority of TLH as I really don't like that album. Easily their worst album for me, except for The Other Side, This Side of Fate, Island of Fools and The Last Hero. I think those 4 tracks are some of the best they've ever written, but the rest of the album is just really bad to me.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

In celebration I just located and uploaded my recording of Brand New Start from Foxwoods in 2007. The song had been performed once before but this is the first recording that exists. There's another version on YouTube but I think this one's better (better audio for sure).

They soundchecked the song a bit beforehand but hearing it in full for the first time was magical!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtOPY1H ... e=youtu.be

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Just started listening. Are Myles' vocals kind of buried in the mix? Not sure what to think about that.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Man, Indoctrination is a pretty creepy sounding song. It's like creepy like Lover or The Uninvited.

Edit: Ok, relistening to The Bitter End. I don't mind the cheese and the cheeriness, just hook it in my veins. I can see people waving their hands around in the chorus if this gets played live.

Edit X 2: A second listen to Forever Falling. Yep, it still sounds awesome. It's also a weird combination of something you would hear in Muse in the verses along with the chorus that sounds like something off A Dying Machine.
Last edited by anguyen92 on Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Just frantically refreshing Google Play Music hoping the album will show up. I'm about 15 minutes from midnight here, so I'm guessing it'll be up then, but it's hard to tell with these things. I knew I should have pre-ordered a CD... :pout
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

TenaciousBe wrote:I knew I should have pre-ordered a CD... :pout
Don't think that would have helped you too much. Pre-ordering a CD gets you 50-50. Either you get it a few days before it's actually out, or you have to wait until Friday 8:00PM for your package.

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

I love Indoctrination and Native Son. Two instant AB favorites for me

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

anguyen92 wrote:
TenaciousBe wrote:I knew I should have pre-ordered a CD... :pout
Don't think that would have helped you too much. Pre-ordering a CD gets you 50-50. Either you get it a few days before it's actually out, or you have to wait until Friday 8:00PM for your package.
This is true! I've been pretty lucky with pre-ordering in the past, though. Ah well, it'll be up before I know it! Actually I saw some of the songs going up on YouTube under the official AB channel in my "suggested videos" area, but they must be unlisted as they're not coming up on the list of uploads if you go to their channel. So I could dive into a couple of the new songs, but I'm just holding out till the full album is up to buy/stream.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

AustinH22
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by AustinH22 »

Forever Falling > Words

Also. What's up Everyone? I'm here for all the people that remember

8)

AustinH22
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by AustinH22 »

Btw it's on my Spotify. I live in Florida. Still haven't gotten my pre order CD though.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Wow I dig it.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

I live in US Mountain time so it's still not out yet here and I haven't listened to a pre-order or leak yet. I'm about to attempt to go to sleep but it's like being a kid going to bed on Christmas Eve. No matter what I end up think of this album, it's still hard to beat the anticipation of a first listen :cloud9

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

More thoughts tomorrow.

AustinH22
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by AustinH22 »

Arctic wrote:I’m kind of glad the board switched over in 2012, I was 15 when I signed up and if I were to find my post history from 2007 I would probably cringe myself into oblivion, so I wouldn’t sweat it too much lol.

Also I’m pretty impressed the album hasn’t leaked yet, it’s looking like it won’t at all. Im a terrible person so I’ve been googling every day for a download. I think I can manage two more days.
I'm glad it switched too but mostly because I was permabanned on the last board for a certain event that occurred.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Wow. We actually got some people that weren't here for The Last Hero release to come back for this one.

I'm sad. Like A Dying Machine, that hour really flew by fast. I will go ahead and reiterate my thoughts from when I initially heard it at The Listening Party, but it's mainly the same thoughts. I will add that there's still a lot of heavy elements in this album where AB did not go to the dark route of going super pop like Shinedown, Skillet, Daughtry, etc. has dived into at times in their recent albums. Indoctrination and Native Son are pretty darn heavy. Granted, I think people going to be polarized with Godspeed. I didn't think too much when I heard it at the listening party, but it is growing on me.
Overall, is this their best album ever? As I said in another forum, I don't want to feel like thinking that this is going to be their best album ever, because it's not fair to the other five great albums if it does succeed and it's not fair for Walk the Sky by itself to live up to expectations that it doesn’t need. I always look at the focus and the intent that these guys want to achieve in every album and see if they do it well and able to deliver their intent with their songs and give us great songs to listen to over and over again. When they said that this album was more enlightening than others, they meant every bit of it. Overall, I think they succeed in getting what they want out and it did felt like a more positive and cheery sounding album. Even though they cut down on the amount of the intricate instrumental sections in comparison to prior albums, the songs did feel more concise and I think it has a lot of replay value. I mean I’m certainly going to want to listen to it again and enjoy certain things on it that I couldn’t pick out in the album listening party.
Do I feel like more songs should have been longer and bring more instrumental sections and solos to the fold? Absolutely, but I don't mind them going shorter songs and when you go that route, you got to make every minute count, and AB did just that. I'm still hoping that they can do a double album in the future that can show that they do everything (epics, short radio songs, ballads, acoustic stuff, etc.) and excel. I don't even think any song felt like filler even on songs like The Bitter End and Tear Us Apart. In fact, if they do another show with an orchestra again, I hope they play The Bitter End. I think it would work excellently. The one minor gripe I have and it's noticeable, I just wish the band would dial down with layering Myles' vocals, since it is unneeded. I'm willing to meet halfway if Elvis would have layered his voice like he did with Year of the Tiger where it felt more subtle as opposed to AB's more in-your-face approach to it if that makes sense.

Still, I think listening to Walk the Sky in its entirety wasn't a huge headache to listen to for me like The Last Hero was at times, from a sonic perspective, so they got that going for them. Overall, I have no issues saying this is my album of the year and only one album really challenges it for me (and it's not Tool or Slipknot or other albums that metalheads would be raving about this year). It's actually from a Jpop artist: Aimer's Sun Dance album, which is also a more positive poppy sounding album from a lyrics album, as oppose to the orchestral dramatic vibes she can bring at times. Funny year for music for me. However, for me, all roads usually lead to AB being on top once again. Bring on the tour and seeing some these songs live. If they do shows in the West Coast, I'll plan a trip to go at least four of them in that coast.

Favorites as of right now: Native Son, Take the Crown, Forever Falling, Walking on the Sky, and Dying Light

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

A few initial comments: I listened to the whole thing front to back on a really nice set of headphones... in the dark. Clear Horizon, Walking The Sky, and Dying Light made the least impact on me but they don't strike me as filler like some of the AB songs I always skip (Breathe Again, Twilight, and a handful of others).

I could see myself listening to this whole thing front to back pretty regularly. Which would be a first for me when it comes to AB albums.

They should be proud of this record.

AustinH22
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by AustinH22 »

anguyen92 wrote:Wow. We actually got some people that weren't here for The Last Hero release to come back for this one.
I'm gonna get Macca to post in here and VC aka Osama as well then it will be a party.