Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

The thing that can't ever get me into ODR vibes is the way the songs are arranged, layered, and mixed. If ODR had the same style, then maybe I would agree. Without it, I can't possibly ever say that myself.

Basically, they need whoever was their producer for ODR to have a chance of me saying it sounds like that at all.

John3977
Brand New Start

Post by John3977 »

After several days I am loving this album more and more. I feel foolish for not giving it more time before posting my feelings. Oh well lesson learned...lol

Jesterhead92
Bought The CDs

Post by Jesterhead92 »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:The thing that can't ever get me into ODR vibes is the way the songs are arranged, layered, and mixed. If ODR had the same style, then maybe I would agree. Without it, I can't possibly ever say that myself.

Basically, they need whoever was their producer for ODR to have a chance of me saying it sounds like that at all.
I didnt mean production-wise, but there are similarities in the songwriting and themes, and I mean that in a good way.

SethGuitar
Brand New Start

Post by SethGuitar »

My first go at the album, Forever Falling and Indoctrination would my top songs. Visiting family in TX and the female members of my family really like Godspeed and Clear Horizon. More so GS once they heard the story behind it.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Jesterhead92 wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:The thing that can't ever get me into ODR vibes is the way the songs are arranged, layered, and mixed. If ODR had the same style, then maybe I would agree. Without it, I can't possibly ever say that myself.

I didnt mean production-wise, but there are similarities in the songwriting and themes, and I mean that in a good way.
I'm not saying you meant it that way, I'm saying that even if that's true I'm being clouded from hearing it because I personally can't get past the far different mixes to be able to recognize any parallels between the two. It's a "me" issue, not a "you" issue (or maybe not even an "AB" issue).

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Anyway, I think my problem with myself regarding this album (and don't take it as me not liking the album, just as my own drawbacks) is that I see the songs for what I think they could/should be and they are shortcomings as a result.

For example I think that Take the Crown should drop a couple half-steps and become a minor chord on the word "crown" instead of the major chord (I think they are using E and would have been better off with C#m). It would fit the song much better. It doesn't only appear then, by the way; it's also in the intro. If they want to end with "ground" on the major E chord, that'll probably be fine.

I think the opposite is true for Dying Light. In the chorus, they go to minor chords with "We learn to live when we give in," and I think the song lends itself to use major chords in that bit.

Minor adjustments like these mean a heck of a lot for their particular songs, in my opinion.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

AB's appearance on Octane Unleaded is now stored on Demand. For those with Sirius XM, you can search it by going through Octane.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

I had the time to give the whole album around 10 listens to reach the "same level" of listens than the previously albums. I've also been listening to the old albums over the last weeks to get sort of a feeling.

What can I say? I will start as a first impression from the singles and then the album.

When I listened to Wouldn't You Rather for the first time I kind of got a mix of feelings. I though it was an OK song but not something that had impact over me.
I've been following the band since its beginning, so I can remember the feeling I had around the time for those first singles. WYR just grow on me and I love the song, I love the instruments(Love bass and drums on that) and the solo(I am not a fan of Mark's guitar solos on the last few albums).
The other songs came out and the only one that I really liked was In The Deep, mainly because of the clean guitar sound on the verses(It's a shame Mark's using that f** overdrive live) but I also really like the chorus and lyrics.

Now let's go to the album. The first impression was good as I had a few great moments listening to that.

1. One Life

Loved "One Life"...it sounds fresh and has a great vibe. It fits perfectly the album.

2. Wouldn't You Rather

Not impressed at first but I really like the song. Love the guitar riff, solo and also drum/bass work. The melodies are ok though.

3.In The Deep

My favorite from the first songs released. I love the melodies, chord progression, verses, lyrics and chorus on that song.

4. Godspeed

This song gave me goosebumps. It has a really pop theme to start but it becomes so keen. The intro reminds me a lot of Shinedown's last works(Which I hate) but thank God there it comes a fresh and nice intro/verse. I love that guitar solo and it got me happy when I heard that calm chorus with acoustic/clean guitar on the end.

5. Native Son

That riff, man, I love that and it's probably the best part of the song in my opinion.

6. Take The Crown

The song begins with a great vocal line in my opinion, calm and soft but with a nice message. Again, too bad Mark's playing the intro with a f*** overdrive. I think the solo is really nice, when it becomes soft, love that part.

7. Indocrination

Another riff that I fell in love instantly altough it's too repetitive. Myles voice on the verses is my cup of tea and I kind of like the chorus.

8. The Bitter End

It was probably the only song that didn't catch me through the first listen but a few times later I got that. Really like the chorus melodies...it reminds me of Before Tomorrow Comes' vibe. Also that part "This much I know..." reminds me a lot of the "This much I know" in "All Ends Well".

9. Pay No Mind
I love the chorus of that song...too bad that it's not played live the way I loved.

10. Forever Falling
I'm not digging the song yet, I am sorry. I think Mark has created a lot of greater intros than that one. When it becomes agressive, I was enthusiastic. I am also not digging Mark's voice and the vocal melodie on the verses. I like the pre chorus and the chorus, though. Later on the song, those vocal harmonies makes me think of Tremonti's "All I Was" album. I like the solo on this one.

11. Clear Horizon
This song got me on the first listen. The intro with clean guitar and some sort of delay reminds me of Duran Duran "Save A Prayer", which I love. Also love the verse and Myles vocals on this one, but that pre chorus is awesome, I love Myles' voice and the pushy sound. Love the chorus too, I would just leave those "Whoo oh ohhh" out altough it makes me want to sing along(as someone mentioned before).

12. Walking On The Sky
I love this one. The chord progression for the intro/verses are beautiful as it is the vocal melodies. The chorus reminds me of the ABIII album.

13. Tear Us Apart
That song is beautiful, the chorus is uplifting and I love that. The intro is so pop rock though, lol, not that I don't like it. I am digging the verses but the chorus gets its crown on this one.

14. Dying Light
Really nice song. Pre chorus + chorus are a great combination.

Overall
I am a big Alter Bridge fan since ever and I have been sad because I was not into the albums since ABIII and I think that Walk The Sky has made the better first listen impression over me since the Blackbird album(Oh that day with my discman, I miss that feeling).

Some points:

Myle's voice: I Love it. This album is a great evolution of his tone and voice.
Guitar tones: I love it. I think it's a evolution from the previously.
Synths and keyboard: I think they added a fresh sound to AB.
Bass and Drums: Great work from the guys, probably my favorite work of Flip and Brian in Alter Bridge.
Lyrics: Didn't get much of it...too much repeated ideas.
Production: A lot of repeated ideas and structures. It bothered me a litle bit because I knew what to expect.
Mixing: I like it.

I'll point my favorites in a list but it could change, except for The Last Hero that is definitely on the last position..

1. Blackbird
2. One Day Remains
3. Fortress
4. Walk The Sky
5. ABIII
6. The Last Hero

Blackbird and One Day remains are always alternating the first position.

Fortress and Walk The Sky are going to alternate a lot too.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Cool to see those reviews coming in! For me Tear Us Apart is too cringy to play, so that's already on the skip list. Godspeed, although the subject is amazing, doesn't do much for me musically. The Bitter End get's is saved by the riff that comes in.

I was listening to the vinyl and the last side was my favourite. If only Tear Us Apart was a b-side I never would have to listen to, the streak of Forever Falling, Clear Horizon, Walking On The Sky and Dying Light is just amazeballs. Those songs alone make this album worth it for me. Also like Native Son (because riff) and Indoctrination (because vibe) a lot.

By the way, I wonder if the 'questions still remain' in WotS is a reference to Still Remains. I do recall hearing another lyric in the same vein, but can't remember where.

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

Haven't noticed anyone else really mention it, but the lyric work on WtS is a really good improvement. One Life sounds (both vocally and lyrically) like a Mayfield Four song and I was really impressed by it.

AustinH22
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by AustinH22 »

scarecrow wrote:If I had to pick one moment that's the MVP of the album it's gotta be the Forever Falling chorus. A++ stuff.

This x1000.

One thing I will say, the way Elvis likes to produce, there is a massive difference in sound quality between streaming and the physical CD. And I actually appreciate that. It makes the $10 well worth it. And plus you're supporting the band more if you buy the CD. If you haven't bought it yet, either use your Amazon account or borrow someone else's.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

AustinH22 wrote:
scarecrow wrote:If I had to pick one moment that's the MVP of the album it's gotta be the Forever Falling chorus. A++ stuff.
This x1000.

One thing I will say, the way Elvis likes to produce, there is a massive difference in sound quality between streaming and the physical CD. And I actually appreciate that. It makes the $10 well worth it. And plus you're supporting the band more if you buy the CD. If you haven't bought it yet, either use your Amazon account or borrow someone else's.
This is true. The CD quality is significantly less compressed and the riffs are certainly more audible. It's not perfect but it's better.

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

Crumbso wrote:
AustinH22 wrote:
This x1000.

This is true. The CD quality is significantly less compressed and the riffs are certainly more audible. It's not perfect but it's better.
What about digital download? How's that stand up quality wise? This is the version I have.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

TheEndisHere wrote:
Crumbso wrote:
AustinH22 wrote:
This x1000.

What about digital download? How's that stand up quality wise? This is the version I have.
I can't really comment. I have the CD and I've been listening on Youtube Music. The CD is better quality than YT Music.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

I don't doubt that the CD is better than streaming, but good lawd if my iTunes 256k isn't up to snuff with the best they can offer then I feel I'm really getting shafted.

Let me know if anybody else knows otherwise. I can't access YouTube Music at work to check it out for myself.

AustinH22
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by AustinH22 »

I just know Spotify has the lowest bit rate out of all the streaming services. So when I threw my CD on, I noticed a very satisfying increase in quality immediately.

AustinH22
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by AustinH22 »

Are we going to know the sales stats at the end of this week? Would love to see how many albums they sold in week 1. It has a chance to be a lot I think

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

AustinH22 wrote:I just know Spotify has the lowest bit rate out of all the streaming services. So when I threw my CD on, I noticed a very satisfying increase in quality immediately.
Same here. I was casting Spotify to my car’s stereo on Bluetooth for the singles. The CD in my car sounds massive comparatively lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

AustinH22 wrote:Are we going to know the sales stats at the end of this week? Would love to see how many albums they sold in week 1. It has a chance to be a lot I think
I suppose it will be as successful as Fortress and TLH. For some reason I don't believe in AB becoming even bigger than they were before. They are too "special interest" compared to the other bands in their genre.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Me during the verses of Godspeed

For all of the hope that it brings...