Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

dpsmith33 wrote:Y’all may think I am crazy but I am having a hard time distinguishing Myles from Mark on Forever Falling. Does Mark sing the verses and Myles the chorus? I have never had this problem before. Maybe it’s something about the mix of the song.
Correct. Mark sings lead on the verses and bridge, Myles sings lead on the chorus.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

dpsmith33 wrote:Y’all may think I am crazy but I am having a hard time distinguishing Myles from Mark on Forever Falling. Does Mark sing the verses and Myles the chorus? I have never had this problem before. Maybe it’s something about the mix of the song.
Forever Falling is all Myles. Tear Us Apart is the song where Mark takes lead vocals.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Timotheus wrote:
Forever Falling is all Myles. Tear Us Apart is the song where Mark takes lead vocals.
I thought that was BMarsh

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Timotheus wrote:
Wait that’s not Flip? I’m so lost.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Timotheus wrote:
Hell it could have been Elvis for all I know.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Did anybody else get the physical CD? I'm looking at the booklet and it's all fucked up. The songs are out of order and the names on the back, "The Immortals" section are cut off and also covered by a UPC.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Timotheus wrote:
Hell it could have been Elvis for all I know.
96% sure Stapp did guest vocals on that one...
Thanks Timo!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

nagpo wrote:Did anybody else get the physical CD? I'm looking at the booklet and it's all fucked up. The songs are out of order and the names on the back, "The Immortals" section are cut off and also covered by a UPC.
Mine's fine aside from some typos, sounds like you got a dodgy one. Should be able to get it exchanged.
For all of the hope that it brings...

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

scarecrow wrote:I'm glad they've figured out how to keep the choruses as heavy as the verses.
Take the Crown suffers from that issue and it bothers me. Verses are so heavy and then the chorus kicks in all happy and shit. Just a weird tonal inconsistency that bothers me. Indoctrination is like that too, which is what keeps it from reaching its full potential imo. Just super sludgy sounding and then a major sounding chorus kicks in.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Ubik wrote:
nagpo wrote:Did anybody else get the physical CD? I'm looking at the booklet and it's all fucked up. The songs are out of order and the names on the back, "The Immortals" section are cut off and also covered by a UPC.
Mine's fine aside from some typos, sounds like you got a dodgy one. Should be able to get it exchanged.
From napalm or the store i bought it from?

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Okay for a serious response to this question... Doesn't Mark sing lead on the whole song? Myles is harmonizing on the chorus (I think) but the lead I thought was Mark the whole song.

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

VigilantSteve wrote:
Okay for a serious response to this question... Doesn't Mark sing lead on the whole song? Myles is harmonizing on the chorus (I think) but the lead I thought was Mark the whole song.
Myles sings the chorus with Mark harmonising some of it. Mark sings all of the verses individually.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

VigilantSteve wrote:
I think Mark is harmonizing under Myles on the chorus :lol

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

DCooper727 wrote:
scarecrow wrote:I'm glad they've figured out how to keep the choruses as heavy as the verses.
Take the Crown suffers from that issue and it bothers me. Verses are so heavy and then the chorus kicks in all happy and shit. Just a weird tonal inconsistency that bothers me. Indoctrination is like that too, which is what keeps it from reaching its full potential imo. Just super sludgy sounding and then a major sounding chorus kicks in.
Hmmmm, I like the changes in Take The Crown.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
VigilantSteve wrote:
I think Mark is harmonizing under Myles on the chorus :lol
You sure? Maybe it's just the way I have things EQ'd, but Mark's part definitely stands out more than Myles on my end with Myles harmonizing above Mark.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

So I just finished my first listen of the entire record. I do like the record. It is better than TLH - which will more than likely remain as their worst record ever.

I actually really liked the synth wave stuff and wished they went even further into it. It kind of feels like a gimmick because it's used so sparsely but I still like it.

Some of the choruses on the songs really aren't that melodically interesting. And some of the lyrics really don't catch me either.

It's mostly a pretty consistent record though. I think they should go further in this direction, it's a positive step in the right direction.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

VigilantSteve wrote: You sure? Maybe it's just the way I have things EQ'd, but Mark's part definitely stands out more than Myles on my end with Myles harmonizing above Mark.
Definitely plays a part, on my headphones Myles is clearly on top, but through my Mac speakers it's more Mark.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

scarecrow wrote:Why are Mark's vocals so low in the mix on Forever Falling?????
Same here. I'm a few listens in so there are things starting to stand out to me, and that's one of the few letdowns. His voice sounds so good, but it's so clean that it needs to be more out front, esp when Myles' vox stand out so much in the chorus. (Oh, wait...that was Brian with Elvis harmonizing there ;) :lol )

I also get what people said about wishing Dying Light were longer. I didn't listen to it before I got the whole album and it's a beautiful song, but it definitely has room for more. A dual solo ala Blackbird or Fortress would have gone in there beautifully. But better to leave the listeners wanting more (because it's not a short or unfinished song by any means) than go on too long and leave them bored.

For me, this is their most consistently good album since AB III. No real soft spots to me so far.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

What tracks have improved most for people with repeat listens?

For me:

In the Deep - I still go into that chorus expecting something soaring like Brand New Start, but now I'm used to it I really quite like the staccato style.
Godspeed - The rhythm that the loop gives the chorus is so infectious.
Walking on the Sky - liked it after the first few listens, but now think it's pretty much perfect and tops the album. The chorus hits you like boulders, and that bridge...

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

In The Deep and Dying Light have definitely grown on me.

Still not understanding the fuss about Godspeed though, feel like I'm missing something everybody is seeing.