Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Buffon
Bought The CDs

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Post by Buffon »

John3977 wrote:
My point is that THEY EVEN ADMITTED that they didn’t collectively work together on this. It was pieces together. Every other album they wrote they collaborated time wise and the result is an album full of songs that feel I incomplete and lacking.
I would make the exact opposite argument.

They've said loads of times how the standard writing process before Walk the Sky was to write individual parts and combine them into full songs in the studio. This, to me, is the definition of "pieced together": so much of The Last Hero in particular sounds like one of Mark or Myles came up with a promising riff or melody, stopped there, then brought it out during recording and waited for the other guy to copy-paste a chorus onto it (Exhibit A: Cradle to the Grave. Inspired melody and verse, absolutely ruined by generic post-grunge chorus 15,295). Calm the Fire is another example of a song that feels like three separate parts that they wrote individually and stuck together.

The stand-out songs on Walk the Sky just sound way, way more cohesive to me.

Mr.Vlado
Bought The CDs

Post by Mr.Vlado »

First of all - I love the album, I listened twice all the way through and many times to single songs - I think this is a really fantastic album, I had really tears in my eyes listening to it the first time because I liked it so much. There is so much variety, so much going on, so many really different songs, so many heavy but still melodic ones and still some songs that are just classic AB - bravo.

I totally understand that some people don't like it, as somebody said correctly there will never be an album they release the whole fanbase likes because AB did so many different songs already that everyone has got there preferred AB style in a way.

BUT I totally don't see how one can think this album is generic and AB "just wanted to do generic songs to become more mainstream" as I've read it (similarly).

Someone wrote this:
"I can’t think of one song from this album that even compares to ABIII. What on here compares to Words are Darker, Isolation, Ghosts of Days, core de lean and so on. None of this does. It sounds like AB has become like every other commercial rock band trying to score a hit by changing their sound to be more commercial. I cant understand a comparison to that album. This album is their absolute worst effort to date."

Please just try not to state your opinion as a fact. For me Isolation doesn't come close to my favorites on WTS and I also prefer songs from this album over Ghosts or Coeur d'Alene. I definetely prefer WTS over ABIII - even though I understand that it might be too early for most people to say this. ANd some will see it differently and that's fine. But please don't state your opinion as a fact and let others see it differently without basically labelling their taste as wrong.

This album - no matter if you like it or not - is not in any way more generic than their previous ones in my opinion.
I think this still has a lot to do with people knowing about the song lengths and how the album was put together. No epics - fine, I also don't like this fact. But some seem to be really prejudiced because of that and the song lenghts that this album was just put together without any effort to get something out there. The album doesn't sound like it at all, but this is just my opinion.
But seriously, Native Son, Indoctrination, Clear Horizon, Forever Falling, Walking on the Sky are definitely, even though they might be too short for some people, no generic Rock or Metal songs...

And also Godspeed for instance - it is a very special unique song imo, I can see why people don't like it that much, but it is also not a song that I would call generic in any way - quite the opposite.
I personally also LOVE Tear us Apart. It is, as well as The Bitter End, not in any way more generic or mainstream than Watch Over You, Wonderful Life, All Ends Well, YWBR, My Champion etc. etc. etc.

Again, I totally understand if someone doesn't like the album and I actually feel really for them for waiting such a long time and being so disappointed.
I just find it a bit unfair to say that AB just wanted to create something, no matter if it is cool or not, to get some generic songs out there. Just because the songs are rather short and there could be some more guitar solos on it.

BTW Does anyone else get extreme Rammstein vibes listening to Indoctrination? Especially the first minute sounds so Rammstein like to my ears that I really have the feeling that AB could have been inspired by them.
I would have never thought that an AB song might have similarities with Rammstein, I LOVE how varied this album is.

:mtrocks :mkrules :headbang

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Dolo wrote:For people who state that there are no bad songs here - what do you say about The Bitter End and Tear Us Apart? I'm sorry but that's AB at its cheesiest.

Yeah no. All Ends Well, Life Goes On, Watch Over You, My Champion,Wonderful Life

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Arctic wrote:Commercial? I doubt it. Most of the songs are fairly heavy. I couldn’t disagree more about the side projects ‘destroying’ Alter Bridge after listening to the album. The effort is definitely apparent to me with this one.

As far as cheesiness goes, are those two kind of cheesy lyrically? Yeah I suppose, but the music behind it is great, which is what I care about.

This was my biggest worry coming in that the side projects would derail this album, very glad to be proven wrong

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

John3977 wrote:
Arctic wrote:Commercial? I doubt it. Most of the songs are fairly heavy. I couldn’t disagree more about the side projects ‘destroying’ Alter Bridge after listening to the album. The effort is definitely apparent to me with this one.

As far as cheesiness goes, are those two kind of cheesy lyrically? Yeah I suppose, but the music behind it is great, which is what I care about.
My point is that THEY EVEN ADMITTED that they didn’t collectively work together on this. It was pieces together. Every other album they wrote they collaborated time wise and the result is an album full of songs that feel I incomplete and lacking. The Last Hero blew this ALBUM out of the water by a fucking landslide and that’s not even my favorite album but at least it was AB. This album if I could compare it to something is like Infant Sorrows African Child ...AB is four guys working together and rocking out a fucking metal rock album. Not a fucking album whose free songs provided more bang than the actual product you pay for. You can have your opinion. This is not the old AB, this is just sad.

Im so glad it doesnt sound exactly like ABIII, if i want to hear that again i will pop ABIII back into my cd player. AB have not repeated themselves on this like every other generic band does.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Well, Forever Falling and Walking On The Sky are for sure in my top 10 favorite AB songs now. Holy shit balls man. I am loving this album.

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

joshuabeau wrote:Well, Forever Falling and Walking On The Sky are for sure in my top 10 favorite AB songs now. Holy shit balls man. I am loving this album.
This. Can't quite believe how much I'm enjoying the album and these two songs in particular, it's proving impossible to listen to either of them without jigging about!
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Favorites just off a few listens...

Forever Falling, Walking on the Sky, Native Son (love the riff in this), Indoctrination, Clear Horizon.
So much better than TLH.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

RevenantGB wrote:
joshuabeau wrote:Well, Forever Falling and Walking On The Sky are for sure in my top 10 favorite AB songs now. Holy shit balls man. I am loving this album.
This. Can't quite believe how much I'm enjoying the album and these two songs in particular, it's proving impossible to listen to either of them without jigging about!
Oh man, the chorus for Walking on The Sky had me flipping out by how good it is.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

joshuabeau wrote:
RevenantGB wrote:
Oh man, the chorus for Walking on The Sky had me flipping out by how good it is.
The chorus is what held me up about it at first. It wasn't clicking for me yet, but after a few more listens I started liking it more. I need to give it some more listens, but I find myself going back to the same 4 songs because I love them so much lol. Was my problem when I first discovered ODR. I listened to only Down to My Last for like as month straight. I just loved it so much I didn't care to check out the rest of the album in any particular hurry. Safe to say I eventually got around to listening to the rest lol.

I absolutely love those last few notes in WoTS that transitions into the main verse melody. Reminds me of Alice in Chains.

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

So just a quick one after one listen from me:

When you guys were describing The Bitter End, I was convinced it wasn't going to be for me, but it's an instant banger for me, and is the part that made me take this seriously as one of their good albums It's not Fortress, and maybe not quite Blackbird, but it's at least on par with ABIII for me, at the moment. It's surpassed ODR for me, and it leaves TLH so far in the dust it's not even funny (the Spotify algorithm tried to play My Champion after it though, that got an instant skip from me). Forever Falling, Clear Horizon and Walking on the Sky are instant favourites, Pay No Mind has already grown on me to be up there, and there are more growers for sure. The first half of the album does feel a bit like it was ideas stuck together, but they're all solid ideas, and from The Bitter End onwards, it becomes tune after tune. Very happy at the moment, but we'll see how I feel when it's not 1am and the "ooh shiny" feeling wears off.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

People who complain about the album being generic or radio friendly and then cite Isolation as a good song for comparison really don't understand those terms.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

AngusWolfe wrote:So just a quick one after one listen from me:

When you guys were describing The Bitter End, I was convinced it wasn't going to be for me, but it's an instant banger for me, and is the part that made me take this seriously as one of their good albums It's not Fortress, and maybe not quite Blackbird, but it's at least on par with ABIII for me, at the moment. It's surpassed ODR for me, and it leaves TLH so far in the dust it's not even funny (the Spotify algorithm tried to play My Champion after it though, that got an instant skip from me). Forever Falling, Clear Horizon and Walking on the Sky are instant favourites, Pay No Mind has already grown on me to be up there, and there are more growers for sure. The first half of the album does feel a bit like it was ideas stuck together, but they're all solid ideas, and from The Bitter End onwards, it becomes tune after tune. Very happy at the moment, but we'll see how I feel when it's not 1am and the "ooh shiny" feeling wears off.

Not sure i agree it leaves TLH in the dust, nothing on here is topping TSOF,Island or Cradle for me and TLH actually had guitar solos but still its a great album

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

LosingPatience wrote:Not sure i agree it leaves TLH in the dust, nothing on here is topping TSOF,Island or Cradle for me and TLH actually had guitar solos but still its a great album
Hmm. I'd hazard a guess and predict the general consensus (or at the very least my personal opinion) is that Walk the Sky is a far more consistent, solid front-to-back album than The Last Hero.

Having said that, I do think Forever Falling, Walking on the Sky and Dying Light are easily up there with TSOF, Cradle and TLH (and I say that as someone who has all three of those in their top 10 AB songs). Sure they're not "epics" or particularly long tracks, but after listening to them I'm convinced that's not an objectively negative thing. Forever Falling in particular has just completely taken me aback.
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Why is the album called "Walk the Sky"? I'm irrationally bothered by that.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

I forget where I read it exactly but when one of the earlier songs came out (Pay No Mind possibly), I remember stumbling upon some comments on one of the rock focused websites, and someone said something along the lines of... "Myles Kennedy is the best singer to never make me feel anything." and I think 2:15 to 2:47 of Godspeed is just the perfect response to that. The whole song is beautiful but that section/second chorus is so celebratory, and is just such a triumphantly hopeful tribute.

If the guys can really pull that song off live, I think the crowd reaction is going to be something else. Beaming, tear stained faces all the way :)

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

AB23 wrote:Why is the album called "Walk the Sky"? I'm irrationally bothered by that.
Honestly, other than the fact that it should go hand in hand with the more positive, uplifting, enlightening aspects of the album, I can't be too certain on why that particular title is what it is.

Anywho, for those that have Octane, AB will be on Octane Unleaded where they will play some acoustic tracks (so you know it's going to be great) and do an interview with one of the radio DJs. I hope it's Grant Random that does it. He's been the main guy on Octane that's been giving some hype for the album and stated it on his Octane Breakdown segment that they have been playing Native Son throughout the week and he's always a blast to hear and be self-deprecating. I think the first airing will be tomorrow at 3:00 PM, but there should be a chance to replay it on the Sirus XM app. This is great exposure for AB to have on a big platform like Octane and them playing acoustic songs is always a winner.

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

DCooper727 wrote:Hmm. I feel like I may end up where AB23 is at, as I really enjoy all the progressive/epic elements that the band has had on TLH and Fortress, so if those elements are gone and the songs feel rushed, then I probably won't enjoy it. I still haven't heard the rest of the album, but I haven't been super positive about the 5 singles they released, either.
Gonna quote my own post here...I was wrong. Can definitely see what they were going for and I really enjoy a lot of the songs. It's really Wouldn't You Rather and In the Deep (I will skip this song for the rest of time) that I don't like at all. Once Godspeed hits, I love the rest of the album. There's some really cool new directions for a lot of the songs, such as the sludgy as hell Indoctrination, which reminded me of AiC a lot, Clear Horizon reminds me of Ties that Bind and I love Native Son. Overall, very happy. Back to back, this is leagues better than The Last Hero, though I think it would have been absolutely perfect had they put an epic where WYR is and worked out Dying Light some more.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Dan Dando wrote:I forget where I read it exactly but when one of the earlier songs came out (Pay No Mind possibly), I remember stumbling upon some comments on one of the rock focused websites, and someone said something along the lines of... "Myles Kennedy is the best singer to never make me feel anything." and I think 2:15 to 2:47 of Godspeed is just the perfect response to that. The whole song is beautiful but that section/second chorus is so celebratory, and is just such a triumphantly hopeful tribute.

If the guys can really pull that song off live, I think the crowd reaction is going to be something else. Beaming, tear stained faces all the way :)
It was on Ultimate Guitar.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

RevenantGB wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:Not sure i agree it leaves TLH in the dust, nothing on here is topping TSOF,Island or Cradle for me and TLH actually had guitar solos but still its a great album
Hmm. I'd hazard a guess and predict the general consensus (or at the very least my personal opinion) is that Walk the Sky is a far more consistent, solid front-to-back album than The Last Hero.

Having said that, I do think Forever Falling, Walking on the Sky and Dying Light are easily up there with TSOF, Cradle and TLH (and I say that as someone who has all three of those in their top 10 AB songs). Sure they're not "epics" or particularly long tracks, but after listening to them I'm convinced that's not an objectively negative thing. Forever Falling in particular has just completely taken me aback.

For me Waters Rising >>>>> Forever Falling
Walking On The Sky is unique and hard to compare
Dying Light their weakest closer off all the albums

Great album overall but like i said aint topping those 3 for me