Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
George
Loyal Follower

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Post by George »

Really like this album.
I'm so glad they took a different direction than Fortress and TLH.
Godspeed, Native Son and Clear Horizon are my favorite from the "new" ones.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

gbruin
MEGLADONG

I'm on a mission from Kev.

Post by gbruin »

anguyen92 wrote:Well, my package is current at the DENVER CO DISTRIBUTION CENTER in Denver. Greg, if you want to do a favor for both of us, you go there and demand them to release our packages now!!!!!
On it.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Arctic wrote:
Blackbirddd wrote:
Arctic wrote:A couple notes, One Life has a very Mayfield Four sound to it. A certain song even comes to mind but I can’t place it exactly, I’d have to flip through Second Skin for a bit. And someone was talking about how there’s usually a ‘surprise hit’ on each album. This ones is definitely Tear Us Apart for me, it’s so unexpectedly charming.
Believe
That one too. I thought White Flag at first, but this might be closer. Bit of a mix.

Something about his voice in Clear Horizon gives me M4 vibes too

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

LosingPatience wrote:I was really nervous about this album and happy to report think i actually love it. Biggest con is the lack of guitar solos like what happened there ? But alas the the second half of the album has amazing energy and truly sounds like AB trying new things. Honestly dont think it sounds like any of their other albums. Also Godspeed is fantastic totally should have been a single. Forever Falling and Clear Horizon are brilliant Myles vocals on Clear Horizon a standout for me.
Well well, who would have thought! Happy you like it! :D I'm listening through it for the first time as we speak, but will probably post an opinion tomorrow or maybe tonight. Didn't like Godspeed at all :D, but Native Son certainly did appeal to me. Just love it when they use a riff in the chorus.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

First off I want to state I love TLH, but it is probably my least favorite album overall compared to the other albums. I think the thing that sets this new album apart from TLH is that the sections of the songs gel together so much better. For example, on TLH Losing Patience is one of my least favorites on the album, but I really love the bridge. Even on TSOF, which I think is one of the best songs they've ever made, the way that breakdown comes in out of nowhere doesn't gel with me and i find myself wanting the "we were so wrong" part hurry up and come because the rhythm changes into something I like more. I didn't do that on these new songs. I just throughly enjoyed letting the songs play though, and I don't find myself waiting for a particular part to come up. That's one if the reasons I think Forever Falling I's the best song on the album. It just keeps you engaged through the entire song. Love it.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

:peace
fix wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:I was really nervous about this album and happy to report think i actually love it. Biggest con is the lack of guitar solos like what happened there ? But alas the the second half of the album has amazing energy and truly sounds like AB trying new things. Honestly dont think it sounds like any of their other albums. Also Godspeed is fantastic totally should have been a single. Forever Falling and Clear Horizon are brilliant Myles vocals on Clear Horizon a standout for me.
Well well, who would have thought! Happy you like it! :D I'm listening through it for the first time as we speak, but will probably post an opinion tomorrow or maybe tonight. Didn't like Godspeed at all :D, but Native Son certainly did appeal to me. Just love it when they use a riff in the chorus.
Native Son was my least favorite of the new bunch, but it has really grown on me. That riff is the nastiest riff on the album, you can't help but head bang to it. Godspeed was talked up in reviews too much for me. I like it alot, but I had such high expectations that I was slightly let down. Still a great and important song for the album that I'm sure I'll love more and more as I listen.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote::peace
fix wrote:
Native Son was my least favorite of the new bunch, but it has really grown on me. That riff is the nastiest riff on the album, you can't help but head bang to it. Godspeed was talked up in reviews too much for me. I like it alot, but I had such high expectations that I was slightly let down. Still a great and important song for the album that I'm sure I'll love more and more as I listen.

The riff in it is so damn groovy

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I kind of lowered my expectations for Godspeed when it was usually listed as middle of the pack in reviews, and I was pleasantly surprised. The lyrics are a standout to me.

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

Godspeed has something to it that I really like. It’s not the heaviest song but the melody is great. Also really like the solo even though it’s really short.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

I haven't listened to anything other than the pre-release tracks yet, so I obviously can't give my opinion on the song...but I find it extremely interesting (and pleasing, IMO) that so many people are so high on Forever Falling and it being either the best or one of the best songs on the album. If some people on this board had their way Mark would never have lead vocals on an AB song. I know this isn't the first time it's happened, but it just further goes to show that AB should absolutely not artificially limit who can and can't sing a lead vocal between Mark and Myles on their songs.

Just something to think about.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

VigilantSteve wrote:I haven't listened to anything other than the pre-release tracks yet, so I obviously can't give my opinion on the song...but I find it extremely interesting (and pleasing, IMO) that so many people are so high on Forever Falling and it being either the best or one of the best songs on the album. If some people on this board had their way Mark would never have lead vocals on an AB song. I know this isn't the first time it's happened, but it just further goes to show that AB should absolutely not artificially limit who can and can't sing a lead vocal between Mark and Myles on their songs.

Just wait until you hear Mark's vocals, he absolutely killed it on this song.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

I love so much the pre-chorus of Forever Falling, it has the drum beat of Run by Foo Fighters

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

Yeah Mark absolutely nailed the vocals on Forever Falling, and the songs that include vocal trade-offs between Myles and Mark are always personal highlights! I would honestly welcome more lead vocals from Mark, at least one song per album (consistently).

I could be crazy, but the intro riff (after the acoustic fingerpicking) and the bridge really remind me of Trivium as well
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
VigilantSteve wrote:I haven't listened to anything other than the pre-release tracks yet, so I obviously can't give my opinion on the song...but I find it extremely interesting (and pleasing, IMO) that so many people are so high on Forever Falling and it being either the best or one of the best songs on the album. If some people on this board had their way Mark would never have lead vocals on an AB song. I know this isn't the first time it's happened, but it just further goes to show that AB should absolutely not artificially limit who can and can't sing a lead vocal between Mark and Myles on their songs.

Just wait until you hear Mark's vocals, he absolutely killed it on this song.
With how reactions have been, I'm beyond excited to hear this song in particular. Less than a day to go for me though, almost there!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Okay, three listens in. After my first listen I wasn't sure what to think up until Forever Falling, when I was all in. It's such a departure from the last couple of albums but I think has really freshened their sound in a lot of places. It's not like Fortress where I connected with every song instantly, it's taken the extra listens to let it sink in. Godspeed is a good example, first off I wasn't sure, but now I'm there. Anyway, here's my track by track:

One Life - Very Second Skin, as mentioned.
Wouldn't You Rather - That riff is still great.
In the Deep - Love the verses, the lyrics, the pre-chorus and the first note of the chorus, when I thought it was gonna erupt...but then it didn't. Still getting used to that one, but a lot to enjoy there.
Godspeed - Needs to be done acoustically at some point. Just a really nice song, "then the days they ran out" is beautiful.
Native Son - Brutally effective. Really tight sounding, love those bends in the chorus. Could've been on Fortress.
Take the Crown - Still love this, really sits at home at this point in the album.
Indoctrination - It's like The Other Side had a baby with Show Me A Sign and it was evil. Took me three listens to notice the scream bit at the start. Also really wanted the lyric at the end to be "I am your new messiah, and I will take you higher."
The Bitter End - Verses remind me a ton of Airbag off OK Computer. Rest of it doesn't, but a really good anthem! Nice singalong chorus.
Pay No Mind - Really love how different this is, and the groove it has. Keep thinking it's Losing Patience with that swell at the beginning.
Forever Falling - Absolute fucking masterpiece. Just let that chorus take you where you need to be. Deserves to be a live staple forever. And that change up at the end...
Clear Horizon - Surprise of the album for me, really love the musical transition between the first two verses. Kinda Coeur d'Alene-esque as something I went in expecting one thing, got something completely different and was all the better for it.
Walking on the Sky - Begins like Blade Runner, LOVE IT. It's all fantastic. Way heavier than I thought it was gonna be, and the synthier sounds (I think it's a pedal but still) really work with the song.
Tear Us Apart - Myles keeping his softer voice throughout most of this really makes it. Outright kinda vibe, which I like a lot.
Dying Light - All of this is fantastic, the vocal rhythm matching the guitar and the way the chorus just envelops you, the dark twist in the melody, the way the note at the end lingers, perfect end which felt like a callback to Eden from MF4. Also love the way the lyrics match One Life's, you end this and begin again.

Just a really consistently good album. At that weird stage where all the new melodies are jumbled in my head and I couldn't definitely name the song from hearing a snippet, but it's good. Really good. Time to start listening to them out of order. Also Kev and Snowman got it bang on with the Forever Falling hype.
For all of the hope that it brings...

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

If Myles took lead on it id feel the same, its just musically the most interesting imo

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Haha I love your description of Indoctrination.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Several listens Walking on The Sky is my fav

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

So I gave all of the unreleased tracks a first listen as soon as my CD loaded in my old desktop. I'll give the album an entire spin later on in my headphones once the rest of ny house is asleep... Just a couple of notes.

That acoustic intro to Forever Falling is beautiful. As is Mark's voice! I'm not sure he's ever sounded better!
Indoctrination is groovy as hell and I wasn't expecting the thrashy main riff in The Bitter End.
The chorus melody in Tear Us Apart caught my ear, very interesting. I was nervous about just how different Godspeed sounds. That intro blew my mind, this song is definitely right up there with Forever Falling as an early favorite.

I do wish there were more guitar solos and a couple of extended bridges. I understand the more concise songwriting with Mark and Myles writing separate songs on their own. They're good to great songs on their own, but there's none of the magic of the two combining their ideas.
Not a lot of breathing room or dead air at all, but also this isn't the normal, brooding and dark AB album that calls for the quiet, spooky bridges. It all sounds very triumphant and celebratory which is a nice change of pace.

I'm excited to sink my teeth into this record over and over again!

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

Wish Clear Horizon had a guitar solo. Such a great song, a blistering solo would top it off.