Listening party thread (Walk the Sky edition)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Re: Listening party thread (Walk the Sky edition)

Post by One Drew Remains »

Native Son is a Myles song? Did not know that.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well this is a nice twist. I’m boarding the same plane as Myles as we are entering. Just stated hey. He stated hey back. Not much else.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

anguyen92 wrote:Well this is a nice twist. I’m boarding the same plane as Myles as we are entering. Just stated hey. He stated hey back. Not much else.
OH MY GOD.
For all of the hope that it brings...

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

We are about to take off soon and I’m going out of WiFi. Don’t know how I want to approach him again to say ty for the solo show in LA after the flight.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

anguyen92 wrote:Well this is a nice twist. I’m boarding the same plane as Myles as we are entering. Just stated hey. He stated hey back. Not much else.
Just "Hey"?

Not, "Hey, tore away the veil of weakness, the enemy now lies beneath us, I think we're safe"?

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

Holy shittttttt

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

anguyen92 wrote:We are about to take off soon and I’m going out of WiFi. Don’t know how I want to approach him again to say ty for the solo show in LA after the flight.
Do you have any merch on you? Ask him if he'd be okay signing something. Just say you don't mean to bother him, just had an awesome time at the show and that their music means a lot. Then high five him.

Excellent that the combined forces of TABN can't track down Kev but Myles Kennedy can.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Kev’s trip to Orlando has gone about exactly how you’d assume it would :lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Quick update: because of how long I was standing up last night, all of the little underutilized muscles in my ankles are sore.

More to come.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: @TSA "I won't be held down any longer, your disgrace and your dishonor..."

Post by zazthespaz »

This is the greatest moment in TABN history. Don't kick the back of his seat.
Jaded Rescue wrote:
Just "Hey"?

Not, "Hey, tore away the veil of weakness, the enemy now lies beneath us, I think we're safe"?
*gets tackled by TSA*
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

gbruin
MEGLADONG

See?? Kev for mod!!

Post by gbruin »

Dude!! Go ask Selena if she'll change seats with you!!
Ubik wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:We are about to take off soon and I’m going out of WiFi. Don’t know how I want to approach him again to say ty for the solo show in LA after the flight.
Do you have any merch on you? Ask him if he'd be okay signing something. Just say you don't mean to bother him, just had an awesome time at the show and that their music means a lot. Then high five him.

Excellent that the combined forces of TABN can't track down Kev but Myles Kennedy can.
:lol :lol :lol
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: @TSA "I won't be held down any longer, your disgrace and your dishonor..."

Post by Jaded Rescue »

zazthespaz wrote:
This is the greatest moment in TABN history. Don't kick the back of his seat.
Jaded Rescue wrote:
Just "Hey"?

*gets tackled by TSA*
Yeah, realized after I posted this how bad it would sound at an airport in real life. :lol

JGremore
TABN.com Citizen

Post by JGremore »

Wow that is awesome! Once in a lifetime coincidence. Wait where ya'll flying to?

snowman
Bought The CDs

Post by snowman »

VigilantSteve wrote:
Ryan wrote:It was Forever Falling snowman!! Mark sings lead on that one and that was one of, if not my favorite song. Thought it was going to be a ballad, then BAM! here come the heavy guitars!!!!
I read this too quick and thought you were saying that one of the songs' names was "Forever Falling Snowman". Thought it might be the follow-up to Waters Rising.
Hahaha! Now that would be quite the song! Kinda like a heavy metal Frosty the Snowman!

And thanks for checking me on what song that was, Ryan. I knew someone out there would remember better than me. I'm excited to dig into that one when the album comes out!

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I'm finally all settled in at home and able to type up my notes from the party. I'll start with the album itself, as that's what everyone is here for, and follow up with my impressions of the event and show a bit later.

Overall
I will say up front that overall, I think AB have delivered a really solid album with WTS. As I mentioned before, this is still Alter Bridge—heavy riffs, soaring melodies, instrumental prowess, and the other six yards—yet they have managed to offer something new this time around. You'll notice I call out the use of synthesizers throughout my review. The guys made reference to this in some of their early interviews, and it definitely extends beyond the songs we've heard so far (PNM and ITD in particular). It adds a really cool 80s vibe to their sound, which is actually quite timely since 80s nostalgia seems to be on the rise – I'm looking at you, Stranger Things. I also didn't notice as many guitar solos as I'm used to. Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty, but I assume these choices were made to keep each song focused and concise. Synths aside, the overall vibe is perhaps more positive than some of their previous work, yet there is still plenty heaviness to go around. The guys are really at the top of their game and just putting together professional, seasoned music.

One Life
I've heard this referred to as an instrumental but as Anguyen mentioned, Myles also sings. As you may have guessed by its <90 second length, it's more of an intro to the album than a full song. It kind of reminds me of one of Breaking Benjamin's intros. It's mostly synthesizers over a heartbeat kind of thumping, with Myles delivering a very breathy vocal.

Wouldn't You Rather
We've all heard this one, but it was interesting hearing it right after the intro track. I wonder if there's a connection there; i.e., we only have one life, so wouldn't you rather live from the heart? Anyway, its placement as the second track kicks off the album with a heavy rocker, letting you know AB is still here.

In the Deep
I had obviously heard this one as well, but I'd never considered its order on the album. This song is in many ways a departure from typical AB style, a contrast highlighted by it following WYR. And having it so early on the record announces that, yes, AB is still here, but this album has some new stuff as well!

Godspeed
Knowing this was written as a tribute to Seth Luker, I expected a powerful track, and "Godspeed" delivers in that regard. It starts with a piano and synthesizer intro, quickly giving way to heavy powerchords. Myles sings the verse in a lower register, with some higher harmonies on top. The chorus has a really powerful melody that you could call cheesy if you're a complete cynic, but I loved it. Overall the song feels sentimental, and is capped off by a torturous shred solo.

Native Son
Starts off with a semi-dirty guitar intro that reminded me somewhat of Creed's "Who's Got My Back Now?" That doesn't last though, as we are very suddenly given a super gnarly riff. The verse melody gave me a bit of a MF4 vibe. Bone-shaking drums feature in the pre-chorus. Later there are some chanted harmonies in the vein of "Losing Patience". The bridge delivers some hard-hitting riffs.

Take the Crown
Another pre-release track, so not much to comment on here other than its placement offering a more positive feel.

Indoctrination
The intro reminded me of the verse riff in Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer". Of course it sounds nothing like Bon Jovi, but something about the rhythm/riff was familiar. Okay, so did you really think I'd go this entire time without mentioning bees? Well fear not, because the intro riff also gives way to the piercing sound of bionic bees communicating through digital tones. That's right – watch out for those laser-toting bees on this track. At some point I also thought I heard a metal-style scream (by whom, who knows), or maybe just a whooshing wind sound effect. It was hard to tell with the PA turned up so loud. The verse has some sleazy guitar riffs, and the chorus uses an outright unpredictable chord progression, which honestly was a bit difficult to follow. Again, maybe that was because of all the noise in the room, but I suspect I'll need to listen to this one a few times through to buy what they're selling here.

The Bitter End
This song goes in more of a theatrical direction, like AB pioneered on Fortress and TLH. It starts off with a chiming intro with a marching guitar riff, into an almost Broadway-style melody in both the intro and verse. I remember the chorus being really catchy, and an uplifting final melody fit for a Disney movie, capped off with some cool riffs at the very end.

Pay No Mind
The last of the pre-release tracks, so nothing new here other than that as more of a heavy-hitter it breaks up the album nicely.

Forever Falling
Begins with an acoustic fingerpicked intro with some synthesizers layered on top, quickly yielding to a heavy, chugging riff. The verses have a very sweet melody. It was tough to make out the details but I'm pretty sure Mark sings at least the verses, with Myles harmonizing on top. That may continue for the choruses, or they might flip the lead/harmony roles, or the chorus might just be Myles. A couple times there's a quick drum/guitar section similar to the main rhythm in the Foo Fighters' "Run". (I forget what that's called but it's basically the same rhythm as in all Latin music.) A heavy bridge precedes a softer section with repeated harmonies, and there's a melodic solo at the end. I quite liked this one.

Clear Horizon
An eerie, breathy intro leads into another somewhat theatrical-sounding section. The chorus resolves into a major key, for folks who like that sort of thing. The transition into the bridge and the bridge itself use a unique time signature that was tough to follow on first listen. (That or I just got lost in all the noise of the venue.) The outro is in kind of a "plucking" style.

Walking on the Sky
The title track starts with a lone synth progression, almost like the trumpet at a military funeral, but that quickly gives way to the main song. The verse is softer, and a loud, "What If?" (Creed)-style harmonic kicks off the chorus. The chorus may be in a different key, kind of like Tremonti's "Flying Monkeys", but it was tough to tell with how loud everything was. The solo also sounded really twisted, almost deliberately agitating the listener.

Tear Us Apart
This song leads right off with a cheerful verse and a catchy, sentimental chorus. The title sounds aggressive, but comes from the lyric, "don't let the world tear us apart," which is a more positive sentiment. The bridge offers a huge crescendo.

Dying Light
The final track begins with a tragic feeling chord progression. The verse is fingerpicked with vocals very closely mirroring the guitar part. A powerful chorus leads into some unexpected chords. The bridge alternates between heavy powerchords and single-picked notes. There's one shorter solo/interlude and a longer one at the end over some vocalizations. The end of this song builds up, and listening to it for the first time, I didn't want it to end!

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

I won't quote the posts as they're both insanely long, but massive thanks to the two of you for writing these reviews! They've really helped hype the album up for me.
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Happy to do it! I'm always hopeful that I haven't overstepped or spoiled too much since I know these parties are supposed to be exclusive and all, but I feel like anything I write here will always pale in comparison to actually hearing the album when it comes out. You are right to be hyped!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Oh my goodness. At first, I lost track of Myles as he exited and I had to wait for some families to get out of the plane. Then I thought go to baggage and there he was. He was the ever professional person I knew he is while I was a kind incoherent blubbering mess.

I told him that outside of the times I’ve saw AB that his solo show in LA was the greatest concert I have seen and told him I hope it doesn’t take too long for him to do another run at this. He told me he wants to write another album to do the shows.

Afterwards he told me they are putting the final touches for the 2020 state shows and that i said I’ll see you guys in LA. He asked me if I had fun and told him I had a tremendous time. Someone thankfully took a photo with me and Myles and that person wanted a photo as well. He also signed my Royal Albert Hall earbook. Overall, he was a top notch professional gentlemen and I didn’t think I kept it together in the end. Told him ty to him, Mark, Flip, and Brian for everything in AB, said see you at the show tomorrow, shook his hand and that was that. It’s all downhill from here regarding life. Well unless I run into Mark.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Nice!!

Edit: hope that early 2020 run will cover the west coast for all you LAers!