15th anniversary of One Day Remains

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
abw1987
Blood Machines

15th anniversary of One Day Remains

Post by abw1987 »

I'm sure someone has already mentioned this elsewhere, but One Day Remains was released 15 years ago today. Let's take a moment to look back and appreciate Alter Bridge's debut.

For me, it's a bit strange to feel nostalgic about a band that remains so active in recording music and touring. I still follow them so closely that it really doesn't feel like 15 years. But when I think back to what I was doing at the time, I'm flooded with all sorts of memories and emotions. These songs had such an impact on me, and there's just something so special about it being the first record.

It's tough to highlight individual songs because they're all so good – not a single filler IMO. Naturally as a hardcore follower I would probably rate the "deeper cuts" over the singles. The eeriness of "Burn it Down" has never left me, and "Watch Your Words" kills! That said, when they play "Open Your Eyes" and "Broken Wings" at concerts, their general familiarity makes me appreciate them that much more.

One could argue that One Day Remains is their most sonically guitar-forward record. It has the most prominent examples of Mark's clean tone, and chunkier palm-mutes than any of their work since. And of course it's chock-full of riffs and solos, I suspect taking many by surprise, being Mark's chance to finally showcase his mastery of the instrument.

In true Alter Bridge fashion, none of the instrumental showcasing comes at the expense of the songs themselves. Each track is fully ripe in its own right. At 11 songs long, it's also the band's record. Of course I'll never complain that their subsequent albums were longer, but One Day Remains really is a nice package of work.

Here's to 15 years of One Day Remains, and continuing to enjoy it for 15 more years and beyond...

nagpo
On The Rail

Re: 15th anniversary of One Day Remains

Post by nagpo »

It's amazing how different that album sounds compared to modern AB. They've changed a lot.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

ODR is still my favorite AB album, though the sentimentality of it and the things it meant to me personally when I heard it carry as much of that weight as does the music. Mark's guitars and the overall musicianship still stand up to every other AB record, and I still prefer Myles' voice on this one to the more recent albums. ODR was my first introduction to Myles and after hearing it, I dove into the MF4 records, so that was the amazing MK voice that I fell in love with. I appreciate what Myles does now to care for his voice and the different styles he puts forward, esp with Slash, but I don't see - as far my own preference goes - how they will ever beat this album because many things have evolved and changed. And that's ok, b/c each of Alter Bridge's followups have been better than almost anything else out there in the world, too.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Torsten
Loyal Follower

Post by Torsten »

Happy 15th Anniversary to Alter Bridge’s Debut Album ‘One Day Remains’ :)

Billboard Magazine [United States] (July/August, 2004)

Alter Bridge Acoustic Performance, NEW YORK - 11 AUG 2004

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

It's a funny thing. These guys look so young at the time of ODR (and they were only like in their 30s at that point). Now Myles is turning 50 this year and everyone else is in their late 40s, but they haven't aged much since AB III.

That's a nice find you got there Torsten and it's quite shocking on what AB stated in the beginning, in 2004, that their main goal was to develop a sound where there was no way you would think it came from a band where 3/4ths of the band was from Creed. I think 15 years later, they've done just that. Whether various people think that the albums that came with these intentions are good albums or not, but given that this band is still around and making great music and got me to travel across to the East coast to see them. Something I have never done by myself or may will never ever do it again, this band has something special that a lot of people keep gravitating to over the years.

Anywho, I hope they do something to give nod to ODR in the touring sense. Not necessarily this year or early next year when they should be focusing on Walk the Sky, but after they do their big initial headlining run and festival runs I like to see them give some nods to ODR and AB III (since that's turning 10 next year) and play some deeper cuts from it. They were willing to play Words Darker than their Wings and Shed My Skin and brought back In Loving Memory after 9 years of not playing it in the last parts of The Last Hero tour, anything is possible since those are the two albums I feel like it's not represented as much in the live sets. They can try to do something about that late next year if they want to.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Thanks for sharing these pics Torsten. Truly incredible.

Guitar2112
Brand New Start

Post by Guitar2112 »

I would love to seem the do some anniversary shows and play the whole thing!!

GazEd
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by GazEd »

Guitar2112 wrote:I would love to seem the do some anniversary shows and play the whole thing!!
Unplugged
I saw lation
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013
Helsingin Jäähalli, Helsinki, 14 November 2019

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

This album is like a fine wine gets better in time imo. Myles here is at his very best, some of the best rock vocals of any album ive heard in fact. Still remember the very first time i put this Cd into my car and that booming intro to Find The Real started and Myles first vocals ripped. I was a massive Creed fan back in the day and was salty at the time Scott left. By the end of the song it didnt matter Myles was bloody incredible. The album's direction is more basic compared to the last few AB albums which imo gives it a Creed vibe. In my opinon Blackbird in the first true AB album, the difference Myles guitar fills add to the AB sound is unmistakeable.....my 2 cents

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

The title track includes one of the greatest guitar riffs of all time and is top ten Alter Bridge. This album is a product of Mark being musically a bit constrained by Creed, so he goes and just unleashes a torrent of insane guitar work. The riffs on this record instantly made Alter Bridge my favorite band.

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

I find it very interesting that Edge made an appearance at Summerslam last night, so Metalingus was played again at a WWE show on the week the album turned 15 years old. I know the two aren't connected at all, but it was a cool little celebration.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

I got a novelty version of one of these on ebay but this is the first time I've seen the actual gold disks. Would pay good money for one of those. Hands down, favorite album of all time.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Who's that girl next to Mark though?
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

I still love ODR (obviously). Lots to love about some of those interviews from Mark about just wanting to play music and not deal with the other stuff. The description of Alter Bridge as "heavy, yet still melodic" is what I love about this band. Would love to hear "Open your eyes", "the End is here", "broken wings" and "shed my skin" when they come to Philly.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

Dolo wrote:Who's that girl next to Mark though?
Diana Meltzer, one of Wind Up Records owner at the time and the lady who decided to sign Creed. She still attends Alter Bridge and Scott Stapp concerts.

I love One Day Remains, absolutely my favorite Alter Bridge album and it brings a lot of cool memories of my youth.
I remember hearing "Shed my Skin" chorus for the first time and having goosebumps (I heard that in one of those previews).
I love the guitar tones, mixing, arrangement, Myles' voice, I would love that kind of sound from these guys yet, I don't love the direction they took but I still follow and appreciate them.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Dolo wrote:Who's that girl next to Mark though?
That's totally Yoko Ono.

Torsten
Loyal Follower

Post by Torsten »

Billboard Magazine May 1998 :)

Creed was presented with platinum awards for sales of its album, "My Own Prison".

Torsten
Loyal Follower

Post by Torsten »

Steve Lerner and Diana Meltzer

Billboard Magazine June 2005

Wind-up Records

Last edited by Torsten on Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

prslover
TABN.com Citizen

Post by prslover »

ODR did not leave my Car CD player for 4 years.
I am so thankful they gave us the B sides, Cruel Sun , Breathe, Solace . I saw them play in front of 20 people in 2005 in St Petersburg FL , I wrote a long review on this site and that's when I signed up. So i've been on the forums since around 05 or 06. It sucks we had to switch over to the new forums and lost our history but whatever.
AB for life !! ODR is my favorite AB record, fortress close second.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Absolute classic album !
One of the most epic transition-albums between two bands ever.