15th anniversary of One Day Remains

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: 15th anniversary of One Day Remains

Post by Arctic »

prslover wrote:ODR did not leave my Car CD player for 4 years.
I am so thankful they gave us the B sides, Cruel Sun , Breathe, Solace . I saw them play in front of 20 people in 2005 in St Petersburg FL , I wrote a long review on this site and that's when I signed up. So i've been on the forums since around 05 or 06. It sucks we had to switch over to the new forums and lost our history but whatever.
AB for life !! ODR is my favorite AB record, fortress close second.
Yup, I remember when we switched, I think I signed up immediately after it came online. Joined in ‘07 so it’s been over 12 years. Crazy to think about.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

There is that one ODR song that was never recorded that we'll never see

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

nagpo wrote:There is that one ODR song that was never recorded that we'll never see

Is that On My Way Now ?

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

LosingPatience wrote:
nagpo wrote:There is that one ODR song that was never recorded that we'll never see

Is that On My Way Now ?
On My Way Now is never on its way

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

nagpo wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:

Is that On My Way Now ?

It was never born to folllow

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

LosingPatience wrote:
nagpo wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:

Is that On My Way Now ?

+10 points for you sir

jailman
Bought The CDs

Post by jailman »

Still my favorite Alter Bridge album.

One of my favorite albums of all time too.

I really think this album is the natural Alter Bridge sound.

I feel like every record since then has been them trying to do something different (Even Tremonti himself has admitted this many times) but never really finding a natural place to land.

That album has amazing songs top to bottom. And I like Myles original voice on this record. Playing with Slash has changed his voice over time.

At one point I lost my first copy of this CD, and I went out and bought it again years after it came out. Can't do without it. It's too bad they don't play more songs off of it live.

Also, Open Your Eyes is quintessential Creed. I love that song and for some reason it fits Scott Phillips perfectly.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

It’s a great album, but I definitely disagree that it’s natural Alter Bridge. Mark wrote pretty much everything and it still had a lot of that Creed flavor, I’ll agree with that, but it was basically Creed pumped up on super steroids. I love the riffs and guitar work, but the band didn’t really ‘become’ Alter Bridge until Blackbird when Myles injected a lot of his style into the band. You almost can’t compare ODR to anything else they’ve done, it’s in its own sub category.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Arctic wrote:It’s a great album, but I definitely disagree that it’s natural Alter Bridge. Mark wrote pretty much everything and it still had a lot of that Creed flavor, I’ll agree with that, but it was basically Creed pumped up on super steroids. I love the riffs and guitar work, but the band didn’t really ‘become’ Alter Bridge until Blackbird when Myles injected a lot of his style into the band. You almost can’t compare ODR to anything else they’ve done, it’s in its own sub category.
100% agree with this. If anything, the fact that everything they've done post-ODR sounds nothing like ODR tells me that it's the opposite of "natural" Alter Bridge.

GazEd
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by GazEd »

The funny thing is when ab just started and internet was clearly a rarity in my country, I could not figure that it was Creed with a different singer. I got a pirate mp3 cd for all the Creed albums (mind you, I do have all the licensed cds now) and there was a small note saying EXTRA BONUS with ODR. No info above that. And I recall thinking: wow, this guy is trying to be Cornell so much.

At the end of Find The Real I understood that Live was starting to unbecome my fave band and at the end of the record I had a new favourite band.

15 years. Wow. That's a lot.
I saw lation
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013
Helsingin Jäähalli, Helsinki, 14 November 2019

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

VigilantSteve wrote:
Arctic wrote:It’s a great album, but I definitely disagree that it’s natural Alter Bridge. Mark wrote pretty much everything and it still had a lot of that Creed flavor, I’ll agree with that, but it was basically Creed pumped up on super steroids. I love the riffs and guitar work, but the band didn’t really ‘become’ Alter Bridge until Blackbird when Myles injected a lot of his style into the band. You almost can’t compare ODR to anything else they’ve done, it’s in its own sub category.
100% agree with this. If anything, the fact that everything they've done post-ODR sounds nothing like ODR tells me that it's the opposite of "natural" Alter Bridge.
While I agree with this, I would say the reason some feel that it's "natural" Alter Bridge is that they feel ODR played to the band's strengths a bit better, in a way that felt more "natural". I know some will disagree and say that the band excels at more complex guitar riffs, solos, etc., but I always felt like Mark writes some of the best rock hooks in the industry, and Myles' voice sounds better singing the longer, more legato kind of lines Mark tends to write. ODR is like this weird lightning-in-a-bottle situation that I'm sure we'll never get again because it was all circumstantial. I still enjoy Myles' writing style, but in a weird way there are days where I wish I could have gotten 3-4 more albums where Mark writes in his old Creed kind of style with Myles on vocals. It made for such a powerhouse album, to me.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

LosingPatience wrote:
nagpo wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:

Is that On My Way Now ?

And yet, we don't care at all.

Wait...

erau
Brand New Start

Post by erau »

There isn't much more that can be said about ODR which hasn't already been hit on...except a big one:

Ben Grosse.

Sonically, it's the only album my ears actually feel a hunger for...It's got incredible clarity throughout the high-end brights, the low-end punch, and everything in between.

On the other hand, Blackbird is more mid to low-end heavy, ABIII has a grittiness (although it tends to fit the theme), and Fortress (while sounding more in the right direction) has a light harshness at times which is then pushed to the extreme on The Last Hero.

So I would add only one thing to this, otherwise it matches my sentiments exactly:
Jaded Rescue wrote:ODR is like this weird lightning-in-a-bottle situation that I'm sure we'll never get again because it was all circumstantial. I still enjoy Myles' writing style, but in a weird way there are days where I wish I could have gotten 3-4 more albums where Mark writes in his old Creed kind of style with Myles on vocals and Ben behind the boards. It made for such a powerhouse album, to me.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Agreed. Ben Grosse totally got the Mark Tremonti sound and made it even better.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

erau wrote:There isn't much more that can be said about ODR which hasn't already been hit on...except a big one:

Ben Grosse.

Sonically, it's the only album my ears actually feel a hunger for...It's got incredible clarity throughout the high-end brights, the low-end punch, and everything in between.

On the other hand, Blackbird is more mid to low-end heavy, ABIII has a grittiness (although it tends to fit the theme), and Fortress (while sounding more in the right direction) has a light harshness at times which is then pushed to the extreme on The Last Hero.

So I would add only one thing to this, otherwise it matches my sentiments exactly:
Jaded Rescue wrote:ODR is like this weird lightning-in-a-bottle situation that I'm sure we'll never get again because it was all circumstantial. I still enjoy Myles' writing style, but in a weird way there are days where I wish I could have gotten 3-4 more albums where Mark writes in his old Creed kind of style with Myles on vocals and Ben behind the boards. It made for such a powerhouse album, to me.
I agree with you 100%. Ben Grosse was such a big part of this album sounding the way it did. He's also mixed a few of my other favorite albums, most notably Vertical Horizon's Everything You Want. I would pay a large sum of money to hear another AB album produced by Ben.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I was reading an old interview from May 2005 in Powerplay, and this caught my attention:

I had no idea they had written 29 songs for One Day Remains.
I wonder what that one great song he's talking about is, and if we've heard it since then on an AB or Tremonti album.
Last edited by chtimixeur on Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

Well there were 5 b-sides (4 recorded) that we all know of: Save Me, Cruel Sun, Solace, Breathe, and On My Way Now. I remember hearing that Unable to See by tremonti is really old and I could see how it could fit into the ODR album.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

erau wrote:There isn't much more that can be said about ODR which hasn't already been hit on...except a big one:

Ben Grosse.

Totally agree, man.
The sound on One Day Remains pleases me ears...that is awesome.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I never heard Creed in ODR. I never liked Creed at all. Aside from Myles, it has more power, groove and feel than Creed ever seemed to manage. I think it was a singular achievement and I love it dearly but I don't begrudge where AB went to. Fortress & ODR are joint top in my AB album rankings.

The production is still a high bar for me. For having just one guitar and very minimal overdubs, the whole guitar, bass and drums combo feel so huge and natural. AB's songs have gotten bigger but the actual sound has always been smaller than ODR.

Tremonti's lyrics always get me and some of ODR's songs still hold a very special place in my heart, especially Burn it Down. A beautiful and surprisingly mature album that doesn't get as much praise from the fan base as it deserves. Maybe it's because I caught on in 2004 and saw them play in 2005 when I was 18, such a pivotal time, that it has burned its place in my soul but it is every bit as much AB as Blackbird, not Creed++.

I miss those days of small gigs, a defined Mesa into 412 live sound, Myles at the peak of his vocal powers, Whole Lotta Rosie and Rock n' Roll covers, the enthusiasm of new endeavors and a small but dedicated following. Ah the nostalgia.

Skittler
Brand New Start

Post by Skittler »

Ugh back when Ashlee Simpson was number 1 :S. I had just turned 17 when ODR was released. A lot of good memories from that time!