Any Retro AB Sound on Walk The Sky??

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
John3977
Brand New Start

Any Retro AB Sound on Walk The Sky??

Post by John3977 »

I was listening to Blackbird and One Day Remains and there some really good songs. Are the days of them making songs like Blackbird and Watch Over You done? Don’t get me wrong I love their new music too, but maybe it’s that nostalgic part of me that would love to hear some throwback type of sound on the new album. Those two songs and others like a Broken Wings, Open Your Eyes make me miss those early years when Creed ended and AB began. Sometimes I really miss those clean tones Tremonti used to hammer down. How do you all feel about it?

nagpo
On The Rail

Re: Any Retro AB Sound on Walk The Sky??

Post by nagpo »

I'm not a guitar player, but what do people mean by "clean tones"? Mark has always used distortion, so I don't think his sound has ever been "clean". But I probably just don't understand the term.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

nagpo wrote:I'm not a guitar player, but what do people mean by "clean tones"? Mark has always used distortion, so I don't think his sound has ever been "clean". But I probably just don't understand the term.
Compare Mark's opening riff of Blackbird on the album to the one from RAH. Maybe that's what he means.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

He used to use a Fender Twin for a dedicated clean tone. Now during live shows he turns down the volume knob on his guitar on a high gain channel of an amplifier like the Triple Rectifier or Archon. The result you get is a signal that still has some gain and isn’t truly clean. It sounds decent but it’s not as pure and crisp as what a Fender Twin produces.

You’re correct that he has always used distortion. The clean signals people talk about are like the intro to Blackbird, Broken Wings, etc, before the distortion kicks in.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I long for the old school Mark clean tones. Or even better, make more use of acoustics in studio, and live. They do make Gracie stands where he could walk up to his acoustic for an intro and then walk away with his electric for the rest of the song.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

John3977
Brand New Start

Post by John3977 »

What I meant is there is a huge difference in the distortion mark uses now as opposed to 2004-2007. He also doesn’t really lead off a lot of songs with that signature acoustic transition to distortion. Even the guitar solo from open your eyes has more of a classic rock/metal tone as opposed to his current distortion and effects.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

John3977 wrote:What I meant is there is a huge difference in the distortion mark uses now as opposed to 2004-2007. He also doesn’t really lead off a lot of songs with that signature acoustic transition to distortion. Even the guitar solo from open your eyes has more of a classic rock/metal tone as opposed to his current distortion and effects.

Id argue his guitar solo tone on the last 2 albums are more classic sounding, the Open Your Eyes uses open wah effects.