Guitar Clinic

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
MrK2991
Brand New Start

Guitar Clinic

Post by MrK2991 »

I just signed up for the guitar clinic at the upcoming show in Myrtle Beach. I couldn’t be more excited! Has anyone on here ever done it before? What can I expect? What do you wish you had known or prepared for if you could do it over again?

abw1987
Blood Machines

Re: Guitar Clinic

Post by abw1987 »

I attended a clinic on the Tremonti/Trivium tour a couple years back. Your excitement is justified!

We had a small group – maybe a half-dozen attendees. As I recall, Mark sat us down for an hour and showed us various licks and practice techniques he uses. He gave us time to try playing them ourselves, and gave us pointers along the way. It was very casual and we were able to ask questions throughout. We also got pre-printed packets of guitar tabs to reference during the session, and take home as a souvenir. After the lesson, he walked us to the stage and gave us a tour of his rig. I believe that's when we had a photo op as well.

This time around I think the material might change slightly. As I recall, it will be more focused around songwriting, and may cover elements from Creed, Tremonti, and AB. I'd be interested to hear about your experience afterwards.

As for what to expect/prepare... first of all bring your guitar! Think about any questions you might like to ask. Looking back, I wish I had thought of some questions about how he plays certain parts of his solos. Tabs are great, but you can't beat confirming such things with the man himself! Finally try to stay in the moment and soak it all in. It's just so cool getting to spend that much time in such an intimate setting.