Wouldn't You Rather

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Re: Wouldn't You Rather

Post by LosingPatience »

Blackbirddd wrote:The biggest complain I have for this single it’s the mix, god it keeps sounding pretty bad, it’s actually hard to find clear guitars and obviously the album will sound the same in terms of mixing, that makes me sad.

For me its not the guitars its Myles vocals which are way to far back in the mix. Seems to be a common complaint on the youtube video too

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

John3977 wrote:
riemslag1 wrote:Comparing the mighty ABIII with the crappy TLH ? Must be some kind of joke.
Are you kidding me? The Last Hero was fantastic. Show me a leader, Island of Fools, The other side, My Champion, The Last Hero, and Writing on the wall and poison in my veins were only a few of the great songs on this album. Aside from Fortress it is their best writing effort. Every other album they have has a couple of great tunes and some others that are good. People need to seriously get over the whole Elvis compression thing. I like wouldn’t you rather, but I don’t think it’s as good as any of their stuff on The Last Hero. My hope is they just chose the wrong first single. Comparatively speaking the song really lacked the wow factor Tremonti usually brings with his songs. Even A Dying Machine has songs with a better hook. I really hope that AB has not taken a back seat to Tremonti because to me Wouldn’t you rather while a good song didn’t have that signature AB Tremonti sound and hook to it.

Psst you're not allowed to like The last hero on this site

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I like The Last Hero and I like this single and almost everything AB has released. It's ok to feel that way and it's ok to be critical when it comes to lyrical content, production, Myles' vocals, Mark's guitar tone, Elvis, etc. I just don't like the idea of people trying to invalid other people's opinions or persuade people hard to think otherwise (not saying anyone here has done that, I just don't like the idea in general).

It's ok to The Last Hero and not like something like Blackbird, AB III, or Fortress but I don't like the idea if people say something like "How could you like The Last Hero, but not Blackbird? Are you even a real fan?" or the opposite sort of spiel. Once again, I don't think anyone here has done that, but I just don't want to see that actually happening in this forum.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Can confirm that you can love The Last Hero and still be a member here - I am yet to be banned! Stacks up well against their previous work and I've got a tin ear to production issues so I've always been a fan.

Random thought about lead singles though and as Rise Today came up earlier - does anyone remember the first listen we got to that? It was played on some random radio station that someone ripped and uploaded here, quality was awful and every time we listened we had to hear the presenter introduce it ("This is Rise Today! Alter Bridge! Let us know what you thinK!") but oh we still had opinions. Then it eventually got uploaded to myspace(!) with Ties That Bind and everyone listened to Ties That Bind instead.

Pretty slick work all told this time round to have the vid ready to go within days of release.
For all of the hope that it brings...

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

LosingPatience wrote:
Blackbirddd wrote:The biggest complain I have for this single it’s the mix, god it keeps sounding pretty bad, it’s actually hard to find clear guitars and obviously the album will sound the same in terms of mixing, that makes me sad.

For me its not the guitars its Myles vocals which are way to far back in the mix. Seems to be a common complaint on the youtube video too
Weird, I actually thought the YouTube video sounded MUCH better than it does on streaming platforms. A lot more clarity and definition to my ears
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

sugarandcyanide
Bought The CDs

Post by sugarandcyanide »

Another TLH fan, here; I do not like most of AB III.
SMKC

07/20/14 - Northfield, OH
09/26/15 - Northfield, OH
08/01/19 - Northfield, OH

Myles - YOTT

11/19/18 - Cleveland, OH

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

sugarandcyanide wrote:Another TLH fan, here; I do not like most of AB III.

I like all their albums, its just seems to be a thing if i say something positive about TLH you can bet a couple of snarky backhanded comments will follow. Last time i voted on my top 10 AB songs i had Cradle as my fav and i received a couple of backhanders on why i shouldnt like it. I mean cmon guys/girls. I do have issues with the mix of ABIII mostly the guitar mix if that album did do something right it was having Myles front and centre as he should be compared to the new single where you can barely hear him.

Scroll through the comments on the youtube video you will see a lot are complaining specifically about how low in the mix Myles is, on Reddit too

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

That's a bit unnecessary to rag on someone that likes a particular song. Why give someone a backhanded comment in the first place? Seems like a waste of time to make such a comment if you ask me. Especially for someone that likes a song like Cradle to the Grave and honestly, that's one of my favorites from The Last Hero album as well.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

And so, the long long chase to get to at least top 10 begins. AB hasn't landed a top five single since Addicted to Pain. Hopefully, that can change.

Also, please note that song quality has no indication to how a song charts. There's plenty of stuff that I dislike that is a big chart topper on Active Rock (FFDP, sometimes new Shinedown, etc.) Bad Wolves has done well though and I like their singles more than the stuff from their big bro, FFDP. I thought the first time I heard Remember When and read the backstory about it, I immediately think if this becomes a single, I think it's going to chart high, and here they are with the track at #1 on active rock. I know how to call it, baby.

Also, on another note, chart topping doesn't really represent how popular a band's tour will be. Take a look at Dirty Honey in the previous link. Their track were at #14 on the Active Rock chart last week. Guess where they are going to be on tour in the Fall? Opening for a co-headlining tour where one of the bands hasn't had a top 15 charted track in six years.

Fozzy had a top five track with Judas and 30 million views on Youtube and they are still stuck playing in front of around 500-1000 people. In all fairness, they are opening for an Iron Maiden show in LA in a soccer field that will hold 20,000+ people so good on them for that.
Last edited by anguyen92 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Dolo wrote:
Silvercreed wrote: For example, it is difficult for me to understand how many people find Blackbird a masterpiece, when half of the album is average.

Just out of curiosity, which one is your favourite?
Brand new start- good song, chorus is kinda weak but the rest of the song is pretty decent.

buried alive-- chorus could be better

coming home---worst song on the album; Myles playing the song acoustic once at a performance was a nice touch tho.

before tomorrow comes--- nice lyrics but song could be better; love the intro and the tremonti vocals

rise today---really liked it when it first came out, decent but could use more energy

one by one--- good intro, the chorus could be better

break me down--- needs work, weak chorus

white knuckles--- chorus could be better

wayward one--- chorus is kinda weak

All 3 bonus tracks are good, btw.

Sorry.
I've never seen an analysis of an album which would be that shallow. So the choruses are shit but the rest of the songs are great?

Sorry I didnt give a deeper description. Call it shallow if u want, but perhaps I'm not the best at describing what i like and why. Some people simply cant do a good in-depth analysis. Sometimes, u know how to do something but u dont know how to teach it to others. Sometimes, u know u dont care for a certain song but cant explain why. Call it shallow if you want tho.

Imo, it's way more common to find a weak chorus than a weak verse.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

AHart96 wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:

Weird, I actually thought the YouTube video sounded MUCH better than it does on streaming platforms. A lot more clarity and definition to my ears
I would agree with you there. Youtube sounds better than the song on a streaming service.

John3977
Brand New Start

Post by John3977 »

LosingPatience wrote:
John3977 wrote:
riemslag1 wrote:Comparing the mighty ABIII with the crappy TLH ? Must be some kind of joke.
Are you kidding me? The Last Hero was fantastic. Show me a leader, Island of Fools, The other side, My Champion, The Last Hero, and Writing on the wall and poison in my veins were only a few of the great songs on this album. Aside from Fortress it is their best writing effort. Every other album they have has a couple of great tunes and some others that are good. People need to seriously get over the whole Elvis compression thing. I like wouldn’t you rather, but I don’t think it’s as good as any of their stuff on The Last Hero. My hope is they just chose the wrong first single. Comparatively speaking the song really lacked the wow factor Tremonti usually brings with his songs. Even A Dying Machine has songs with a better hook. I really hope that AB has not taken a back seat to Tremonti because to me Wouldn’t you rather while a good song didn’t have that signature AB Tremonti sound and hook to it.

Psst you're not allowed to like The last hero on this site
I think everyone just has their own idea of what exactly AB is supposed to be as a band. I was the biggest Creed fan for so long and I thought Tremonti and Stapp were for my generation two of the best song writers. When One Day Remains came out it was so refreshing but had that familiar Creed sound. Blackbird to me is special because Blackbird the song I consider one of the greatest rock songs ever. III was a good album but the thing that I feel hurt it was that outside of Isolation and Words are darker than wings it suffered from a real lack of great arrangements. There weren’t many memorable hooks and that is what I feel really hurt AB in their infancy. Fortress was a masterpiece in terms of writing and arrangement. My god every song was amazing. From the opening of Cry of Achilles to the finale of Fortress it was a relentless masterpiece of lyrics and guitar. The last hero was another Album that had great writing and music. It wasn’t as good as Fortress but it’s still my second favorite AB album. I have high hopes for this new album. I think I had just come to expect more from AB and Wouldn't you Rather just seemed to be missing that wow factor that they usually have on their singles. Show me a leader was a killer single. We’ll see what happens. Like I said I am hoping for some great music on this new album.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

cheesedip1 wrote:
AHart96 wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:

I would agree with you there. Youtube sounds better than the song on a streaming service.
I said this a ways back. Glad it's not just me.

Timmeh said the high quality masters are still under lock and key. Hopefully the CD will unmuddy some of the issues people have with the production so far.

I'd forgotten much of the drama when Rise Today "came out". It's pretty funny thinking back on it now.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

jcrowe
Brand New Start

Post by jcrowe »

Nice. Made #14 on Octane's Biguns this week.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

jcrowe wrote:Nice. Made #14 on Octane's Biguns this week.
Sweet. They haven’t sent me an email to vote on that in months...lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

An awesome cover for all of you guitar nerds on here! Tora shreds and plays a few different AB/Tremonti tunes.

Gotta get my ax tuned to drop C and get to work!

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

anguyen92 wrote:Fozzy had a top five track with Judas and 30 million views on Youtube and they are still stuck playing in front of around 500-1000 people. In all fairness, they are opening for an Iron Maiden show in LA in a soccer field that will hold 20,000+ people so good on them for that.
I can't believe that after all these years, Chris Jericho can still sell out arenas and stadiums if he's in the main event of a wrestling show, but his band (which has been legitimately good for at least a decade) is still playing tiny clubs. So surreal!
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

This song actually sort of reminds me of The Uninvited, which is a song that I like but not many others here do. Maybe that's another reason some of you might be "meh" to it. Don't like one, so likely wouldn't like the other.

I wish the verses were doubled in length (filling them out for two more lines per bit, if you know what I mean). Outside of that and Myles being drowned out in the mix a bit, I think it's a good single.

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

TenaciousBe wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:Fozzy had a top five track with Judas and 30 million views on Youtube and they are still stuck playing in front of around 500-1000 people. In all fairness, they are opening for an Iron Maiden show in LA in a soccer field that will hold 20,000+ people so good on them for that.
I can't believe that after all these years, Chris Jericho can still sell out arenas and stadiums if he's in the main event of a wrestling show, but his band (which has been legitimately good for at least a decade) is still playing tiny clubs. So surreal!
I guess with a Wrestling show there are other stars on the bill, with a Fozzy headline show, it's just them. Not all the fans he's built up over 25 years of wrestling are going to like the band and before Judas the only reason I knew of Fozzy was that it was Jericho's band. And how many of those people only watched the Judas video because it's his entrance theme in NJPW and AEW? Metalingus has over double the listens on Spotify over the next most listened songs (Watch Over You and Blackbird), because it was Edge's entrance theme for years.