Wouldn't You Rather

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Wouldn't You Rather

Post by VigilantSteve »

JGremore wrote:Blehh I can't stand rise today being the show closer, its so boring live. Open Your Eyes should always be the closer imo, much more upbeat and fun. I think WYR becomes the set opener with One Life bringing them on stage.
I can definitely agree with this. The singalong bridge is the icing on the cake that makes it the perfect song to close with, IMO.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Arctic wrote:There was so much drama after Rise Today was released. It’s pretty funny looking back on it though.
lmao I was like 20 years old and I went offfff, full on temper tantrum - it was stupid

weirdly enough the issues I had with the song at that time are long gone (at the time I was very right-leaning; now I'm the opposite), but I think it's very weak musically

jcrowe
Brand New Start

Post by jcrowe »

Loved OYE - now it seems so creedy but still a classic
Hated Find the Real - now it is one of my all time favorites
Loved Rise Today - still love it
Loved Isolation - still love
Wasnt huge on SMAL - I'm ok with it now
My champion - never my thing
Wouldn't You Rather - loved everything but the chorus at first. But it is now firmly stuck in my head. Though I'm one of those embarrassing car singers and something about the chorus is just weird to sing aloud. Probably just my lack of Mylesability. But I'm going to give this one a big ole thumbs up now!

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

nagpo wrote:wow, I didn't think this song would get such a negative reaction.

This is my headspace on The Last Hero album in general, i will never understand the hate for it. Even if its the mix cant see how anyone can think its worse than the muddy mix of ABIII

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

One thing I noticed is that Myles voice is changing and I really think he's going to stop singing in a higher pitch. When he does it gets quite nasaly in recent years.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

LosingPatience wrote:

This is my headspace on The Last Hero album in general, i will never understand the hate for it. Even if its the mix cant see how anyone can think its worse than the muddy mix of ABIII
lol I'm one of the ones on here that really dislike TLH. The music wasn't up to par and I really disliked the lyrical content. I only like maybe 4 or so songs on the record. This new song is already a step in the right direction. I'm looking forward to the record.

These next couple of months are going to be good for me actually, when it comes to music at least, stapp, then big wreck and then in october AB. My favorite's all coming out with music all at once. hell yeah

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I'm thoroughly confused as to why anyone, regardless of political leanings, would hate Rise Today? Especially as a single - it's clearly designed to be a big, crowd-involved, anthemic single. What's the issue?
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Comparing the mighty ABIII with the crappy TLH ? Must be some kind of joke.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

nagpo wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:

lol I'm one of the ones on here that really dislike TLH. The music wasn't up to par and I really disliked the lyrical content. I only like maybe 4 or so songs on the record. This new song is already a step in the right direction. I'm looking forward to the record.

These next couple of months are going to be good for me actually, when it comes to music at least, stapp, then big wreck and then in october AB. My favorite's all coming out with music all at once. hell yeah

If this is the new direction of AB count me out as a fan coz zzzzzzz

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

riemslag1 wrote:Comparing the mighty ABIII with the crappy TLH ? Must be some kind of joke.

Well Last Hero is my fav ABIII my least mostly due t the muddy guitar tones and nearly everything sounding the same, deal with it. Enough with TLH drive byes theres a reason i avoid this site

ABsamadh
Brand New Start

Post by ABsamadh »

SamarthJoshi wrote:
Fortress1988 wrote:
SamarthJoshi wrote:Glad to see that more and more people have started to like the song after multiple listens and after the Video came out. And I just now realized that we may soon get an acoustic rendition of the song once AB decides to start their album promotion. Pretty excited to know how that would turn out!

But that's the problem bro.
Why should a song take multiple listen to get a thumbs up ?
Single or any song should touch you and move you right away !
I have given about 20 listen to it now, it's catching up but very slowly and it's completely unacceptable.
Isolation, addicted to pain, they were like instant hit on bang on songs as single.
I get what you're trying to say. But music is very subjective. What's an instant hit for you may not be for me. I never liked Addicted to Pain. Not when it came out, and certainly not after the whole album was released. Therefore I still skip it now when I listen to Fortress. I liked Isolation(at least I would like to believe the same even though there was a dramatic change in Myles' voice from Blackbird to AB III and I didn't like it one bit) when it launched and skip it now when I listen to AB III. For me, Wouldn't You Rather is better than both of them.

Also, many times it has happened that I didn't connect with the song in one go but later on it turns out to be one of my favorite. I'll be surprised if anyone else hasn't experienced the same. Surely it's not possible that every song you listen to is either an instant hit or compete trash, right?

Many of the AB songs are like that for me, I may not like them the first listen but give em some time and a few listens and I start to see how good they are. Best example for me would be Crows On a Wire. Used to dislike that song and now I think it is one if the best in the AB catalog tbh. Wouldn't You Rather was a very good first listen though.

ABsamadh
Brand New Start

Post by ABsamadh »

LosingPatience wrote:

TLH had some very solid AB tracks but also a lot of filler songs which i thought were below their standards. The album could've done with 9 -10 songs only and that would push it way up the rankings imo.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

LosingPatience wrote:
riemslag1 wrote:Comparing the mighty ABIII with the crappy TLH ? Must be some kind of joke.

Well Last Hero is my fav ABIII my least mostly due t the muddy guitar tones and nearly everything sounding the same, deal with it. Enough with TLH drive byes theres a reason i avoid this site
Well, the mud must be somewhere in your head.
Nothing wrong with you preferring TLH above the other albums. I think I deal with that better than you the other way around.

joey78
TABN.com Citizen

Post by joey78 »

I don't know why but I'm really digging the new single. I think it is their best since Blackbird.

Fortress was exciting for me when it came out. Except for a few songs, I can't listen to that record anymore.

TLH sounded like crap. About half of the album was good but the album "sounded" very rushed.TLH was the culmination of a slide that had it's beginnings in III

- heavy songs for the sake of being heavy
- muddy production
- lack of dynamics
- Scott sounding like a drum machine

I look at The Conspirators and AB. Both have the same singer and producer. The Conspirators just keep getting better with each record.

AB shine brightest when they stick to being a hard rock band like they did on ODR and BB and the Creed albums. It's never worked for me when they've tried to be Metallica or Slayer. I don't think Slayer would look too great attempting to make an ILM or OYE.

AB have been attempting to get heavier with each record and I wish they would stop doing that.

I long for AB to put out a record that sounds like a combination of ODR and BB. I hope this is that record.It definitely sounds like it could be

John3977
Brand New Start

Post by John3977 »

Are you kidding me? The Last Hero was fantastic. Show me a leader, Island of Fools, The other side, My Champion, The Last Hero, and Writing on the wall and poison in my veins were only a few of the great songs on this album. Aside from Fortress it is their best writing effort. Every other album they have has a couple of great tunes and some others that are good. People need to seriously get over the whole Elvis compression thing. I like wouldn’t you rather, but I don’t think it’s as good as any of their stuff on The Last Hero. My hope is they just chose the wrong first single. Comparatively speaking the song really lacked the wow factor Tremonti usually brings with his songs. Even A Dying Machine has songs with a better hook. I really hope that AB has not taken a back seat to Tremonti because to me Wouldn’t you rather while a good song didn’t have that signature AB Tremonti sound and hook to it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Well, let's agree to disagree, but I'm with riemslag on this - ABIII shits on TLH in every possible aspect. The songs you mentioned are alright (although My Champion is incredibly cheesy and Poison in Your Veins is a half-assed modern rock anthem) but ABIII has this brooding, dark mood which just draws you in and keeps you engaged. TLH is nothing like it.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

Seeing all the differing opinions here is genuinely making me laugh now. One person shitting on someone else's favorite song and vice versa(All in good fun, I hope). And I'm saying this with absolutely no feelings of mockery or disrespect. Even in this chaos, this place is awesome!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

SamarthJoshi wrote:Seeing all the differing opinions here is genuinely making me laugh now. One person shitting on someone else's favorite song and vice versa(All in good fun, I hope). And I'm saying this with absolutely no feelings of mockery or disrespect. Even in this chaos, this place is awesome!
I don't know what's wrong with a little bit of discussion. This is a discussion board, at least the last time I checked it was. We don't need to mark every time, that whatever we say is stated as an opinion and not as an absolute truth. I prefer this to having everyone tap the backs of everybody in AB and say 'great job, guys, this is the best song you've ever put out'. It's still okay to have a little bit of constructive criticism.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Nothing wrong with a different opinion then my own. People like TLH more than me ? No problem. If we all have the same taste, it will become a very dull world.
I myself just happen to adore ABIII. Last few years that album generally was not very popular over here and I am enjoying the apparently new found love for the album very very very much !

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

I prefer a thousand times checking this forum than the blind comments "best music in the world" on facebook or youtube. (as in any other band, nowadays).
I, at least, love to discuss a subject with differing points of view. (with respect, of course)

For the TLH I don't disagree that has uninspired/average/generic/cheesy moments, songs whatever you call it, but I don't think it deserves the "hate". The other albums also have the same moments and only TLH receives the "hate". Of course everyone has their own preferences. Nothing wrong with that.

For example, it is difficult for me to understand how many people find Blackbird a masterpiece, when half of the album is average.
AbIII does not have the best songs but as a whole is amazing. (it grows every time i listen to it)
ODR another average record and people have so much love for it.

Subjectivity can be incredible. :)