Wouldn't You Rather

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Wouldn't You Rather

Post by VigilantSteve »

After having the opportunity to listen to the song several times over the weekend, I really can't believe some of the negative reactions that it got on here late last week. I think it's a superb song, especially for a radio single. Zero issues with the production too, but what do I know?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

VigilantSteve wrote:After having the opportunity to listen to the song several times over the weekend, I really can't believe some of the negative reactions that it got on here late last week. I think it's a superb song, especially for a radio single. Zero issues with the production too, but what do I know?
You suck up!
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Andy92 wrote:
VigilantSteve wrote:After having the opportunity to listen to the song several times over the weekend, I really can't believe some of the negative reactions that it got on here late last week. I think it's a superb song, especially for a radio single. Zero issues with the production too, but what do I know?
You suck up!
It's what I do, apparently!

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

AngusWolfe wrote:
cheesedip1 wrote:They ever gonna put Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad on an album or something?
I was surprised it didn't make it to the rarities disk of the Live at the O2 release, to be honest. They managed to get the unreleased tracks from One Day Remains, can't have been hard to stick it on the CD.
I missed it too on that release. I think it is a surprisingly good instrumental. Together with "Save me" the only one excluded for some reason.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

riemslag1 wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
cheesedip1 wrote:They ever gonna put Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad on an album or something?
I was surprised it didn't make it to the rarities disk of the Live at the O2 release, to be honest. They managed to get the unreleased tracks from One Day Remains, can't have been hard to stick it on the CD.
I missed it too on that release. I think it is a surprisingly good instrumental. Together with "Save me" the only one excluded for some reason.
As mentioned before, this probably has to do with the fact that the rights for these songs do not belong to Alter Bridge.

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

Glad to see that more and more people have started to like the song after multiple listens and after the Video came out. And I just now realized that we may soon get an acoustic rendition of the song once AB decides to start their album promotion. Pretty excited to know how that would turn out!

Fortress1988
Brand New Start

Post by Fortress1988 »

SamarthJoshi wrote:Glad to see that more and more people have started to like the song after multiple listens and after the Video came out. And I just now realized that we may soon get an acoustic rendition of the song once AB decides to start their album promotion. Pretty excited to know how that would turn out!

But that's the problem bro.
Why should a song take multiple listen to get a thumbs up ?
Single or any song should touch you and move you right away !
I have given about 20 listen to it now, it's catching up but very slowly and it's completely unacceptable.
Isolation, addicted to pain, they were like instant hit on bang on songs as single.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

To say im disappointed is an understatement. This is completely generic and this mix is way worse than TLH[which i had no issues with anyway] I mean at least i could hear Myles. Why is he so far back in the mix ? Why is ther so much distortion on his voice ? Ive never been so disappointed in this band . The smaller tracks also has me nervous, this sounds like a massive regression, man i hope the album makes me eat my words,

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Fortress1988 wrote:
SamarthJoshi wrote:Glad to see that more and more people have started to like the song after multiple listens and after the Video came out. And I just now realized that we may soon get an acoustic rendition of the song once AB decides to start their album promotion. Pretty excited to know how that would turn out!

I have given about 20 listen to it now, it's catching up but very slowly and it's completely unacceptable.
Isolation, addicted to pain, they were like instant hit on bang on songs as single.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

Fortress1988 wrote:

I get what you're trying to say. But music is very subjective. What's an instant hit for you may not be for me. I never liked Addicted to Pain. Not when it came out, and certainly not after the whole album was released. Therefore I still skip it now when I listen to Fortress. I liked Isolation(at least I would like to believe the same even though there was a dramatic change in Myles' voice from Blackbird to AB III and I didn't like it one bit) when it launched and skip it now when I listen to AB III. For me, Wouldn't You Rather is better than both of them.

Also, many times it has happened that I didn't connect with the song in one go but later on it turns out to be one of my favorite. I'll be surprised if anyone else hasn't experienced the same. Surely it's not possible that every song you listen to is either an instant hit or compete trash, right?

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

wow, I didn't think this song would get such a negative reaction.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

nagpo wrote:wow, I didn't think this song would get such a negative reaction.
Same. I truly don't understand this one at all.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

different people, different taste of music, that's all.
I find myself somewhere in the middle of dislike and like, also after multiple listens.
It's ok, but just not good enough for what I consider to be the best band in the world.
After the TLH-disappointment I just need a really good comeback-album.
I just hope the album as a whole will be better than this first single.
It would be sad to remember this band for 4 first excellent albums only. They are too talented for that.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Fortress1988 wrote:But that's the problem bro.
Some of my favorite movies of all time were not my favorite on their first viewing. Not because I didn't like them, but because I had a lot to process with them. Not coincidentally enough, many of them are Christopher Nolan's films.

So I would sleep on them, talk about them with others, read things about them and watch YouTube videos about them, play back the trailers over and over to recapture images, and then when the time was right I'd give them a second viewing. The first viewing may always be the most immersive, but the second one for me is always "the best."

I haven't listened to this song yet (trying to decide whether I should wait till the actual album release), but maybe it's that way with others as well.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

VigilantSteve wrote: Same. I truly don't understand this one at all.
Rise Today got a worse reaction, from memory.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

There was so much drama after Rise Today was released. It’s pretty funny looking back on it though.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Ubik wrote:
Yeah, I don't believe I had found this board yet at the time that Rise Today had been released, though it was definitely in the Blackbird album cycle. While I do like Rise Today, it's honestly one of their weaker singles, though at the time of its release there weren't many so I can't imagine why people would've been too upset about it. I have always hated it as a show closer though...there are so many better songs for them to close with.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

VigilantSteve wrote:
Ubik wrote:
Yeah, I don't believe I had found this board yet at the time that Rise Today had been released, though it was definitely in the Blackbird album cycle. While I do like Rise Today, it's honestly one of their weaker singles, though at the time of its release there weren't many so I can't imagine why people would've been too upset about it. I have always hated it as a show closer though...there are so many better songs for them to close with.
Well, the singles for ODR were Open Your Eyes, Find the Real, and Broken Wings and I still think those songs are still great songs among the fans. I can imagine going from that to something like Rise Today in 2007 can be quite polarizing. I liked Rise Today when I initially heard it around August 2007.

JGremore
TABN.com Citizen

Post by JGremore »

Blehh I can't stand rise today being the show closer, its so boring live. Open Your Eyes should always be the closer imo, much more upbeat and fun. I think WYR becomes the set opener with One Life bringing them on stage.

sam1oq
Brand New Start

Post by sam1oq »

After listening to it a couple of times I have to say that feelings on this one are mixed. Opening riff and verses are definitely cool, but the chorus melody just feels a bit bland for AB standards and the bridge was just... kinda average? For Alter Bridge that is. Solo is nice, but it's too short imo and the buildup to it was meh. Also the mix is awful again a la TLH. It's way too loud and lacks dynamics. And what's up with Myles voice? Too far back in the mix and otherwise there's some weird distortion on it. I wish AB would go for an organic mix for once. Suits the band way better than this Disturbed-style crap.

On one hand I'm happy with the single. It's a very solid song and a good pick for a single, but it saddens me that they kept the shitty TLH mix and I'm just missing some progression from them as a band. Up to Fortress it felt as if the band had something new to say with each album, TLH and this song feel like they're content staying in the same place. This Alter Bridge sounds like it's crammed in between Tremonti and Slash rather than a band going on its own artistic path.