Wouldn't You Rather

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Re: Wouldn't You Rather

Post by TenaciousBe »

gbruin wrote:Does anyone else hear a big difference in the quality of the iTunes download and the official video on YouTube? I bought the song on iTunes just after midnight (after panickedly messaging Ryan because it wasn't coming up when I searched for the song name in the store and it didn't come up :pout) and listened to it on my phone a few times and then in my car on the way home from work and was pretty bummed with the sound quality. It was really muddy and hard to hear the vocals and it all kind of roared together. But the YT vid that came out this morning sounds so much better. The YT version has so much more range and definition and clarity and sounds fantastic. I have played the two side by side today and the difference is pretty dramatic to me. Nearly all of the music on my iPhone is from uploading the CDs I buy so maybe I'm just not used to the lesser quality of the downloads from the iTunes store, or maybe that format is more susceptible to the modern wall of noise?

Or maybe I'm crazy?

Damn good song and great video, btw.
Noticed this too! It's been a busy day, so I just now sat down to finally watch the music video. It sounds so much better! The version I was listening to before was the first YT video (the plain song "provided by Napalm Records" one), in which I was like... the vocals didn't seem mixed properly (hard to hear over the instrumentation), everything was muddy. Then I listened from Google Play Music through the aux cord in my van, and it POUNDED. So much better! I don't think I had even noticed the synth parts on that first listen. And then I just watched the music video here on my soundbar / TV via Chromecast, and it's so dope. I'm sad that my first listen was so disappointing (plus I was all pissy about how everyone else was getting to hear it first thanks to the "midnight wherever you are" rollout), because the song is definitely worth more than that! I'm glad they're coming out swinging with something that's a little harder hitting, while bringing along some new sounds and ideas. Solid all around!
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Stace wrote::wave
New music! So exciting!
Double-posting, but I don't care because STACE! :eek :wave :hug
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:Idk taking into consideration the length of the track, I'm still thinking it's instrumental with vocal melodies. As in, I doubt there are lyrics, but I bet Myles hums or sings "ahhh's" along to the instrumentation. Perhaps we might hear a "Myles choir" of harmonies?
That still wouldn't explain why the board said there were no vocals of any kind recorded for one song, which is the whole basis for thinking there's an instrumental :D

What we really need, is more interviews...
For all of the hope that it brings...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

TenaciousBe wrote:
Stace wrote::wave
New music! So exciting!
Double-posting, but I don't care because STACE! :eek :wave :hug
Yup. Legend. :bow :rockon
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Ubik wrote:
ToNsOFuN88 wrote:Idk taking into consideration the length of the track, I'm still thinking it's instrumental with vocal melodies. As in, I doubt there are lyrics, but I bet Myles hums or sings "ahhh's" along to the instrumentation. Perhaps we might hear a "Myles choir" of harmonies?
That still wouldn't explain why the board said there were no vocals of any kind recorded for one song, which is the whole basis for thinking there's an instrumental :D

What we really need, is more interviews...
Yes we do. I'm just super confused about it. Board showed no vocals, but that article said something about its "vocal melodies". Strange.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Anybody got the lyrics?

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

nagpo wrote:Anybody got the lyrics?
Sell yourself short and buy a world of pain
Follow your bliss or pay the price

All of these lessons I've learned them so well
There is no gain worth the commerce of self

Wouldn't you rather
Live from the heart
A life that will matter
To be lived from the start

You wear an albatross around your neck
The spoils of war will bring you down

Heed my advice, may you hear every word
Don't sacrifice meaning for riches that burn

Wouldn't you rather
Live from the heart
A life that will matter
To be lived from the start, oh

All of these lessons I've learned for myself
There is no gain worth the commerce of self
A dream left for dead now a nightmare that feels like hell

Wouldn't you rather
Live from the heart
A life that will matter

Wouldn't you rather
Live from the heart
A life that will matter

I'd rather live from the heart
I'd rather live from the heart

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

thanks

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:
Ubik wrote:The one roadblock to One Life being instrumental is the "vocal melody" part in the announcement... but who knows, certainly something different about it given the length (still think it's weird they wouldn't have advertised having done their first properly released instrumental, so I remain unsure of its existence). But yup would make sense to open the show like that. I think it'd also be pretty good to open the encore as it's got a more positive vibe to it.
Oh fuck forgot it’s not the instrumental :lol
Idk taking into consideration the length of the track, I'm still thinking it's instrumental with vocal melodies. As in, I doubt there are lyrics, but I bet Myles hums or sings "ahhh's" along to the instrumentation. Perhaps we might hear a "Myles choir" of harmonies?

On a related note, here's the concert intro from the Blackbird tour. Instrumental music with some singing included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOPoIehoxJA

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

cheesedip1 wrote:
ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:
Ubik wrote:The one roadblock to One Life being instrumental is the "vocal melody" part in the announcement... but who knows, certainly something different about it given the length (still think it's weird they wouldn't have advertised having done their first properly released instrumental, so I remain unsure of its existence). But yup would make sense to open the show like that. I think it'd also be pretty good to open the encore as it's got a more positive vibe to it.
Oh fuck forgot it’s not the instrumental :lol
Idk taking into consideration the length of the track, I'm still thinking it's instrumental with vocal melodies. As in, I doubt there are lyrics, but I bet Myles hums or sings "ahhh's" along to the instrumentation. Perhaps we might hear a "Myles choir" of harmonies?

On a related note, here's the concert intro from the Blackbird tour. Instrumental music with some singing included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOPoIehoxJA
This bring so good memories <3
Last edited by Blackbirddd on Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

They ever gonna put Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad on an album or something?

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

cheesedip1 wrote:They ever gonna put Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad on an album or something?
What's the point? It's pretty easy to find... Not really a record worthy song either

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

It'd be so cool tho.

Also the intro of Wouldnt You Rather sounds like the pre chorus. I think?

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I love the contrast between the music and the lyrics. One sound ominous while the other is rather positive and hopeful. Great song.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

The single is featured on Spotify's Hard Rock playlist. AB is even on the cover of said playlist. This hopefully will generate some exposure.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

It was asked whether a single can be a grower earlier on, and even though I connected with the verses immediately, it's taken me a bit longer with the chorus. But I'm there! I think it's got good potential to be a sing-along anthem live.
For all of the hope that it brings...

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

This lyrical style is so much better than the last album. so is the music. fuck they got me back guys. I've listened to it 20 times now since last night

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

cheesedip1 wrote:They ever gonna put Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad on an album or something?
I was surprised it didn't make it to the rarities disk of the Live at the O2 release, to be honest. They managed to get the unreleased tracks from One Day Remains, can't have been hard to stick it on the CD.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Maybe the magazine that the disc came with owns the rights

JGremore
TABN.com Citizen

Post by JGremore »

The more I've listened to this the more it's grown on me (mainly the chorus) great song. This has to be a myles riff.