What songs do you use to introduce Alter Bridge to new people?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
maximzub
On The Rail

Re: What songs do you use to introduce Alter Bridge to new people?

Post by maximzub »

When I want to introduce my favorite bands to people, I always choose 3 songs:
1. My favorite song from them
2. The most mainstream song
3. The song that shows the most skill
For Alter Bridge, that is:
1. Addicted To Pain
2. Watch Over You
3. Cry Of Achilles
Last edited by maximzub on Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

sukidayo
Brand New Start

Post by sukidayo »

Blackbird
Myles's voice and Mark's guitar goes straight to my soul. Today still.
If the person is into softer music I'll recommend Watch Over You.

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

I've used Blackbird a few times, depending on the person, Watch Over You is another good choice, in terms of quick rocker Addicted To Pain is the choice.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

If they're a WWE fan, Metalingus of course!

If not, something accessible with a heafty solo... I Know It Hurts, Open Your Eyes, New Way To Live. Nothing EPIC quite yet... And then Blackbird!

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

I guess we should ask ourselves how we got into Alter Bridge. For me I liked Creed and simply listened to their first album. I liked Creed especially because of the excellent work of the band, not because of the vocals or lyrics so I was a natural fan of Alter Bridge out of the gate.

Fact is most people connect with bands through vocals and lyrics. Isolation apparently reached the highest chart position according to Wikipedia. Nothing on Fortress or later has even come close, but that’s probably due to changing musical tastes of the mainstream youth.

If I could make people like music that is criminally under known, I’d make you all listen to Zebra!

https://www.classicrockhistory.com/top-10-zebra-songs/

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

“Slip to the Void” while pouring my lemonade with southern hospitality!
(I’ve had no complaints) they buy all the albums the next day!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

abw1987 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:35 pm Watch Over You – a ballad about drug use; did quite well as a crossover single in 2007
Watch Over You is about drug use? I never would have guessed that.
davidstvz wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:51 pm I guess we should ask ourselves how we got into Alter Bridge.
I discovered them for many reasons that all came together. First, in 2019 I bought a Tremonti PRS just because my dad and I wanted a new guitar and this one was the best in terms of sound, feel, and price. For the longest time I thought that Mark in Mark Tremonti was referring to some model name (Mark I, Mark II) and that Tremonti had something to do with the tremolo bridge.

However, in mid-2020, I found this article with Mark Tremonti making his dream Metallica setlist. So that confirmed that Mark Tremonti was indeed a person and not just a model name. I later found that he's in Alter Bridge, and I recognized the name because I knew Volbeat toured with them in 2016. Summer 2020 was a time when I was trying to diversify my musical tastes, so I jumped on the chance to discover another band and add "one more to the list".

None of the songs that I first listened to amazed me right off the bat (Broken Wings, Watch Over You, Blackbird, In Loving Memory, Addicted To Pain, and Rise Today). However, there were parts that I liked (falsetto in Watch Over You, Myles's solo in Blackbird, the general vibe of In Loving Memory, and the speed of Addicted To Pain). I downloaded all those songs except Broken Wings and put them in my playlist. The first song I decided to listen to again was Addicted To Pain, and I couldn't get it out of my head for the next week or so. I even learned the solo with a video lesson, which I do not normally do! It was all downhill from there. I listened to Native Son when the music video came out, then part of Live From Amsterdam, then part of Walk The Sky, then the O2 Arena live album, and so on. In January, I joined this board, and since then, I've been a big fan of the band.
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

maximzub wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:58 pm
abw1987 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:35 pm Watch Over You – a ballad about drug use; did quite well as a crossover single in 2007
davidstvz wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:51 pm I guess we should ask ourselves how we got into Alter Bridge.
I discovered them for many reasons that all came together. First, in 2019 I bought a Tremonti PRS just because my dad and I wanted a new guitar and this one was the best in terms of sound, feel, and price. For the longest time I thought that Mark in Mark Tremonti was referring to some model name (Mark I, Mark II) and that Tremonti had something to do with the tremolo bridge.

However, in mid-2020, I found this article with Mark Tremonti making his dream Metallica setlist. So that confirmed that Mark Tremonti was indeed a person and not just a model name. I later found that he's in Alter Bridge, and I recognized the name because I knew Volbeat toured with them in 2016. Summer 2020 was a time when I was trying to diversify my musical tastes, so I jumped on the chance to discover another band and add "one more to the list".

None of the songs that I first listened to amazed me right off the bat (Broken Wings, Watch Over You, Blackbird, In Loving Memory, Addicted To Pain, and Rise Today). However, there were parts that I liked (falsetto in Watch Over You, Myles's solo in Blackbird, the general vibe of In Loving Memory, and the speed of Addicted To Pain). I downloaded all those songs except Broken Wings and put them in my playlist. The first song I decided to listen to again was Addicted To Pain, and I couldn't get it out of my head for the next week or so. I even learned the solo with a video lesson, which I do not normally do! It was all downhill from there. I listened to Native Son when the music video came out, then part of Live From Amsterdam, then part of Walk The Sky, then the O2 Arena live album, and so on. In January, I joined this board, and since then, I've been a big fan of the band.
Interesting how you can discover a new band all of a sudden, and via a guitar of all things. Since you resurrected my old reply, I will have to mention Zebra again. I discovered them in a similarly random way. I was in my late 20's and had already tried listening to most of the obvious bands and either liked them or didn't by that time. A friend played the first Zebra album while we were hanging out and shooting pool and it was just background noise mostly. Upon listening to it a second time however, the songs were suddenly catching my attention and I was impressed by the virtuosity of the band and the subtle brilliance of the compositions. A got into more of the albums and learned that the singer was still playing weekly, if not with the whole band, then he'd do acoustic guitar shows by himself, playing Zebra hits mix with a few classic rocks hits from the Beatles and Zeppelin that were too difficult for most people to cover in an acoustic solo performance. The more I heard the more of I a fan I became. I don't imagine most people here would like them, but if you're looking to try something new, it's definitely worth a shot!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Zebra was great! They were one many really really talented 80's arena/hard rock bands which got crowded out and overlooked by the glut of more commercial but less talented bands (ahem...Poison, for instance).
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

maximzub wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:58 pm

Yeah, "Watch Over You" is about addiction, and recognizing you can only help someone who wants to help him/herself.

Funny story about the Mark I/II Tremolo interpretation of Mark's name as a guitar model! Also interesting to hear stories like yours about how more recent fans got into the band. Given they've been around since the mid-00s, it's very cool that their new releases are still catching people's attention.

gbruin wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:32 pm Zebra was great! They were one many really really talented 80's arena/hard rock bands which got crowded out and overlooked by the glut of more commercial but less talented bands (ahem...Poison, for instance).
Hey hey hey now! Bret Michaels is about to be inducted into the Central PA Music Hall of Fame – now that's saying something!

Erik Must Go On
Brand New Start

Post by Erik Must Go On »

I love this conversation because I have often wondered what it is that sets AB apart from others for me. They're my favorite band and it's not particularly close. I don't recall really following specific bands until middle school. I'd say I was into Alternative rock. Think Matchbox 20 (my fav band for years as a teen). I was not a big fan of heavy rock or metal. I remember listening to ODR and really enjoying it, specifically Down to my Last & Shed My Skin. Again, more the mainstream sounding songs. However, I started enjoying heavier songs like Metalingus the more I listened. Then Blackbird came out and absolutely blew my mind. I loved all of it! Still my favorite album of all time. The fact they followed that album with AB3 & Fortress, two albums you can argue are just as good is ridiculous. So back to the conversation of what songs we choose to introduce AB. I naturally follow a similar sequence that pulled me in. Something like (Brand New Start, Watch Over You, Isolation, Metalingus, CoA & Blackbird) It's like I had to dip my toe into the heavier stuff, rather than jump in all at once because I may have dismissed it as not my style too quickly. Now I enjoy their heavier songs just as much if not more. I think what sets them apart for me, as others have mentioned, you can't fit them into a specific genre. Its heavy, yet melodic with meaningful lyrics and top notch musical talent.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Slip to the Void...Lemonada!

Post by MaraCarr »

Zero Carbs...
Zero Sugar...

It tastes Amazing!
Once they drink the recipe, I play the song that inspired it...They all instantly feel the LOVE! :hug :cloud9

RnFnHomer
Brand New Start

Post by RnFnHomer »

TheEndisHere wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:41 am We all know by now that Alter Bridge is criminally unknown to many people, including fans of rock music, especially in the US, despite being one of, if not the best rock band (IMHO) of the last 15 years. I try to introduce other people to Alter Bridge all the time. In the last two years, I have introduced them to some of my high school students and fellow teachers. Who else tries to get people into Alter Bridge? What songs do you use?

Depending on who it is (male, female, wrestling fan, etc), I have used the following songs: Cry of Achilles, Fortress, Blackbird, and Metallingus. If people like those, I move to other songs.
I go around this in very organic way, introducing the songs that are most likely to find in numerous occasions on Youtube so they can hear others by themselves. So i go like this:

- One Day Remains: Open Your Eyes
- Blackbird: Rise Today
- ABIII: Slip To The Void
- Fortress: Waters Rising
- The Last Hero: My Champion
- Walk The Sky: Take The Crown
- Pawns and Kings: Silver Tongue

I never use everyone's favorite...And what happens next is wonderful, if they get hooked; "why didn't you tell me about 'Blackbird'!!??"...i just answer "you weren't ready for it...that song was written for...". And then i get into the humans that make AB the wonderful band it is, the stories behind some of the songs, etc, etc...and that is what really closes the deal (the Blackbird thing was done to me 12 years ago...literally...word by word. That's also how i became aware that AB fans are a different breed ;) )

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

RnFnHomer wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:13 am
TheEndisHere wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:41 am We all know by now that Alter Bridge is criminally unknown to many people, including fans of rock music, especially in the US, despite being one of, if not the best rock band (IMHO) of the last 15 years. I try to introduce other people to Alter Bridge all the time. In the last two years, I have introduced them to some of my high school students and fellow teachers. Who else tries to get people into Alter Bridge? What songs do you use?

Depending on who it is (male, female, wrestling fan, etc), I have used the following songs: Cry of Achilles, Fortress, Blackbird, and Metallingus. If people like those, I move to other songs.
I go around this in very organic way, introducing the songs that are most likely to find in numerous occasions on Youtube so they can hear others by themselves. So i go like this:

- One Day Remains: Open Your Eyes
- Blackbird: Rise Today
- ABIII: Slip To The Void
- Fortress: Waters Rising
- The Last Hero: My Champion
- Walk The Sky: Take The Crown
- Pawns and Kings: Silver Tongue

I never use everyone's favorite...And what happens next is wonderful, if they get hooked; "why didn't you tell me about 'Blackbird'!!??"...i just answer "you weren't ready for it...that song was written for...". And then i get into the humans that make AB the wonderful band it is, the stories behind some of the songs, etc, etc...and that is what really closes the deal (the Blackbird thing was done to me 12 years ago...literally...word by word. That's also how i became aware that AB fans are a different breed ;) )
I love that strategy. Give them just enough to hook them, then let them fall full in on their own. That makes it even more authentic and organic.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Something I've noticed = Watch Over You, the Live from Amsterdam version, goes over very well with the ol' females.

:shifty