Alter Bridge Walk the Sky / Victorious Sky US Tour 2019

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
abw1987
Blood Machines

Re: Alter Bridge Walk the Sky Tour 2019

Post by abw1987 »

Hahaha there was one point where he was going absolutely nuts with the bass, slapping it with his hand coming from several feet away. I couldn't even hear what he was playing at that point, and I remember thinking wow, they either turn him down in the mix right here so he can go a little crazy, or this bass part is simpler to play than it looks.

I definitely did hear the occasional vocal backing track (both male and female voices), but by no means did it seem to be intended as the primary sound. I'm assuming they just use it in spots where they are prioritizing the performance over live singing, or to add an extra layer of harmony. The overwhelming majority of the music was still performed live, no doubt.

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

I didn't notice the backing track but I don't have the best ears for picking these things up. It was my friend and people around me who noticed. I thought he puts on a good show with lots of energy but I'd take Brian and Myles for musical ability any day. To me: musical skill > showmanship. I'd see Skillet again if they were touring with another band I like and in general enjoy their music as long as I don't think about it too much (I'm an agnostic/atheist so the whole Christian rock thing can be annoying when shoved down your throat).

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

To be honest I only noticed it a small handful of times at most, and it was really subtle. It was nothing like Shinedown where Brent literally needs to lipsync in places because he can't hit the notes, or most pop singers who might technically be singing, but lean so heavily on backing tracks that you are mostly hearing the pre-recordings. I have no intention of badmouthing the band because they are clearly very passionate and talented at what they do.

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

I'm not trying to bad mouth Skillet at all. They put on a great show. John has lots of great energy and is great at working a crowd. They just have a very different philosophy when it comes to doing shows than AB.

Buffon
Bought The CDs

Post by Buffon »

abw1987 wrote:It was nothing like Shinedown where Brent literally needs to lipsync in places because he can't hit the notes
Oh lord, these guys are a joke when it comes to backing tracks.

It's not just Smith either, even their guitarist and bassist somehow manage to sound pitch-perfect backing him up. On songs like Diamond Eyes and Enemies, you're pretty much paying to watch them jump around like maniacs to the studio recording.

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

I can attest from watching many AB live videos that they don't use backing tracks. You can always hear the imperfections or slight differences performance to performance in the instruments and vocals.

Also here's a video from the Philly crowd singing Open Your Eyes, real heart warming to have been part of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lDmu1958vw

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Man, Mark freaking NAILED Burn It Down. Fantastic!!

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

And Broken Wings!!

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

We just broke the news on the TABN facebook page:

Burn it Down

Broken Wings

For those unaware, Mark filled in for Myles singing lead vocals on these tracks for the first time in AB history. I'm as proud of Mark as my heart is warmed to see them looking out for each other like this.

Eternal thanks to Jared for capturing and sharing these!!

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

So amazing. I got goosebumps as soon as I heard the first chord of Burn It Down.

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

Broken Wings' chorus was fantastic with Mark on lead, so glad to see him taking on these songs, although that must mean Myles is super sick

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

My wife and I were originally going to go to this concert, but we have a 7 month old now and decided against it. Wish I could have seen this AB history in the making :(

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

The Dissident wrote:Broken Wings' chorus was fantastic with Mark on lead, so glad to see him taking on these songs, although that must mean Myles is super sick
He wasn’t that bad for the most part. His voice cracks when he sings too high so he stayed in his lower register mostly. You can definitely tell he was fighting congestion, but he still sung his heart out and sounded good.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Remake Rockstar in 2022 but Mark plays Thor.

Post by zazthespaz »

I for one am stoked by these videos, would’ve loved some of the higher notes that Myles provides, but he absolutely killed it on the choruses. And on top of that, casually starts shredding the solo for BID. WHAT A BOSS. I would love to see this become a regular thing, Myles obviously needs to give his voice a rest since he tours nonstop year round, so why not let Mark take lead vocals on a few songs that are 10-15 years old? By now, most everyone has heard Myles sing those songs and there’s plenty of recordings from shows of him doing them. Why not switch it up a bit and let Mark take the lead?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Mark singing a few ODR songs is a cool idea since those were all his songs anyway. I always wondered what those demos sounded like and now we kind of know!

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Mark did a very good job, but it sounds like he had some effects on his voice during Broken Wings' chorus.
What I love about those videos is that Myles is finally playing those songs on guitar. I absolutely LOVED his take on the Burn it Down solo, as well as the little improvisation he did after Broken Wings' first chorus.
It reminds me of the one or two times myles played Find the Real's solo, which was abolutely incredible. I hope they end up doing this more often in the future.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Absolutely fantastic! Mark's voice is so good right now. That Broken Wings chorus was brilliant.

Would still love him to give the verses of Ties that Bind a go.
For all of the hope that it brings...

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

joshuabeau wrote:And Broken Wings!!

Just watched so great.Perfect for Mark's lower register. This is part of why i love this band their are no ego's with Mark and Myles. Cant think of to many lead singers that would let this happen whilst Mark let Myles improvise on the guitar solo for Burn It Down.They are so humble and its so great to see

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

abw1987 wrote:We just broke the news on the TABN facebook page:

Burn it Down

Broken Wings

For those unaware, Mark filled in for Myles singing lead vocals on these tracks for the first time in AB history. I'm as proud of Mark as my heart is warmed to see them looking out for each other like this.

Eternal thanks to Jared for capturing and sharing these!!

And Myles improving on lead for Burn It Down was the cherry on top.

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

Oh my GOD what a treat to wake up to. Mark has a such a great voice and I'm so happy they tried this, Broken Wings was goosebump inducing!
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear