Alter Bridge Walk the Sky / Victorious Sky US Tour 2019

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Alter Bridge Walk the Sky Tour 2019

Post by scarecrow »

anguyen92 wrote:Well, wouldn't using a monitor be like cheating or something? At some point, it looks like it can be interpreted as karaoke (even if they wrote the friken songs).

Bruce Dickinson had some pretty heated words to people that uses stuff like monitors, teleprompters, etc. I don't think Rob Halford uses a lyrical teleprompter for Priest's most well known hits, but I think he does use them for something else.
"We still don't have an Autocue. Yay! I never realised that people were using Autocues. What the f--k is that all about? People pay good money and you can't even remember the sodding words. The daftest one I ever saw was [Judas Priest's] 'Breaking the Law.' It's on the f--king Autocue. 'Breaking the law, breaking the law/Breaking the law, breaking the law/Breaking the law, breaking the law/Breaking the law' - guess what? - 'breaking the law.' It's ludicrous."
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/wt ... tocue.html

Edit: Ah, yes. Here's a quote from Halford about that.
In a 2010 interview with the QMI Agency, Halford spoke about how using a teleprompter helped him when he was asked to fill in for Ozzy with BLACK SABBATH for a show after Osbourne was taken ill. "[Like Ozzy], I use a teleprompter now too because I do so many things," he said. "I can't remember. I wish I was like my mate Bruce Dickinson and could do everything, but I need that safety blanket."
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/halfo ... t-nothing/
When your catalogue is approaching 100 songs and you're middle-aged or older, I say monitors / teleprompters are fair game.

And if it led to AB shaking up their setlist more often? I'd be all for it.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Small little chime in. Bands jobs while on tour are to perform less than two hours a night a couple nights a week. If they can’t remember lyrics to 15-20 of their own songs, that being their job responsibility... then I wouldn’t think that musician is the best at their frontman job.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Another small little chime in. You clearly have no idea what a band actually does on tour. Their job is not only to perform for less than two hours. They also do constant rehearsals, meet and greets, constant traveling around including sleeping in a tour bus almost every night, all while being away from their families for extended periods of time.

With a little empathy it's not that hard to guess that all of that is extremely demanding and tiring. I totally agree that musicians should probably be able to remember their lyrics, but your description of what they do on tour is pretty comical.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Agreed. Their jobs entail much more than singing 15 songs a couple times a week. :lol Even your baseline is incorrect; they usually play 4 or 5 nights per week, and Tim has confirmed they have greenlit ~35 songs for this tour. Beyond that, there are meet and greets, guitar clinics, press, writing for future AB records (not to mention their other projects). Plus, you try flawlessly recalling on-demand the lyrics of a catalogue probably comprising 200+ songs between AB, Slash, Myles, and MF4.
gbruin wrote:I thought I've seen a pic of Myles from side stage that showed a lyric monitor?
Yep, just found it (not sure who took it, but credit at least to Ryan for sending it to me):
Certainly a step up from Mark's printed out sheets of paper during the old Tremonti tours! :lol

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

He has a lyric monitor and still fucks them up? Haha
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Kreuger wrote:He has a lyric monitor and still fucks them up? Haha
Hey man at least he’s consistent :lol

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, three months to go before the start of February. Is there any news regarding any West Coast dates announcements for some of us to be excited about?

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

abw1987 wrote: Certainly a step up from Mark's printed out sheets of paper during the old Tremonti tours! :lol
Actually, I hate this step up. I got the Decay lyrics sheets from the All I Was premiere in Orlando and got the band to sign it and I have it framed on my wall! I'm not sure how I'm ever gonna frame one of those teleprompters!
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I believe in you, man! Myles has been tossing these wedge monitors into the crowd after each show, so I just know one of these days I'll see you leaving a venue with one of them under your arm. :rockon

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

abw1987 wrote:I believe in you, man! Myles has been tossing these wedge monitors into the crowd after each show, so I just know one of these days I'll see you leaving a venue with one of them under your arm. :rockon
:lol :lol Could you imagine the scramble on the floor for one of those. :lol :lol
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Oh it would be absolute carnage, between the broken glass and crushed toes from when someone inevitably fumbles the catch. :lol

abw1987
Blood Machines

Re: Alter Bridge Walk the Sky Tour 2019-20

Post by abw1987 »

FYI, I split the last few posts regarding the first summer 2020 date into a new topic here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3682

I'd like to try and get us away from the endless threads that are far too daunting for new users, and inevitably end up veering off topic.

I'll also create a new thread for the upcoming (autumn 2019) Europe tour if no one gets to it first.

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Re: Alter Bridge Walk the Sky / Victorious Sky US Tour 2019

Post by The Dissident »

I'm both very excited but nervous for the West Coast tour announcement. Knowing my luck the nearest show will be 3 hours away on a weeknight and I can't take days off in my practicum, but this is AB I might have to suffer for a day... I also hope for a headlining tour verses a coheadlining...

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

If AB announces a West Coast tour, I'm planning a vacation to Northwest Coast (San Francisco, Seattle, Spokane, etc) to coincide those dates. Maybe I'll find my way to Coeur D'Alene and this time, I'm actually going to do some tourist stuff and not just be at the city for the shows.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Be careful with the sightseeing – you might be signing yourself up for a 12-part trip recap! :eek

jailman
Bought The CDs

Post by jailman »

really?

Myles needs the lyrics in front of him to sing 'em?

Interesting. Nothing wrong with it, but just surprised I guess. But when u think about it, he has a ton of songs to remember if you include the Slash output.

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

For those who saw this leg of the tour, how were Skillet? They are coming to my area but I haven't really checked them out but from what I've heard I think they may be up my brothers alley and he sucks for xmas ideas.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, I saw Skillet on the tour with Sevendust, before the tour with AB, and they had the same set time as the Victorious Sky tour and I liked it. They brought good production values even though they were playing in the smaller theaters/music hall. The singalongs were strong and the band played good enough. My only gripe was they focused a bit too much on their Unleashed album (which I didn't like much in comparison to the previous four albums). Other than that, I had a great night out on that day despite waiting in line for five hours hoping to get a good close spot (landed on the second row of the rail in the second section of the Wiltern).

They are coming back in February and they are playing in Anaheim (and have Jen Ledger as a solo act opening, so she's pulling double duty for that and Skillet on the same nights). The GA pit section is going for $75???? Shoot, I paid $71.00 for AB's pit section in the LA show. Regular GA is around $52.00 which is the same price as the non-pit GA section of their Wiltern show with Sevendust, last September.

I would go to their show in Anaheim except its on the same night AB plays in San Francisco and I've already booked my arrangements, so I'm locked for that, but I wouldn't mind seeing Skillet again in the near future.