AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by Ubik »

Andy92 wrote:Think people are taking the synth stuff a bit too seriously...Mark wrote some riffs overtop some synth loops for inspiration while he was writing, but I don’t think the synth loops are part of the actual recorded AB songs. He even mentioned finding some of the synth loops online, and they’re not gonna pay copyright fees to use those in recordings.
Not sure about the loops, but there's at least some heavy keys stuff in Godspeed and Pay No Mind, it seems.
For all of the hope that it brings...

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Thank googily moogily it's not going to sound like abIII. I don't even think that album was good relative to any other rock albums, much less with respect to an AB album. I listen to about one song from that album to this day.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Pretty excited about the keys and the synths, this might be the factor for AB to put them a level higher, but who's gonna do them live?
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Mark said something about his guitar tech.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

B-Marsh posted a picture on his IG saying we’ll be getting a whole music video next week!

Marshall
White Knuckled

Post by Marshall »

1 week away from new music from @officialalterbridge ! Here is a still from the shoot for the first single, Wouldn’t You Rather. #ab6 #walkthesky #ernieballmusicman @officialmyleskennedy @flip_drums @markttremonti

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Looks like they took the set from Tremonti's Take You With Me music video.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Ubik wrote:
Andy92 wrote:Think people are taking the synth stuff a bit too seriously...Mark wrote some riffs overtop some synth loops for inspiration while he was writing, but I don’t think the synth loops are part of the actual recorded AB songs. He even mentioned finding some of the synth loops online, and they’re not gonna pay copyright fees to use those in recordings.
Not sure about the loops, but there's at least some heavy keys stuff in Godspeed and Pay No Mind, it seems.
I think there will be some synth, they’ve done that before with songs like Slip. I just don’t think the takeaway from this interview is that the band is going full-on 80s lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Ubik wrote:
Doesn't necessarily mean it won't be heavy, but Mark said he wrote Godspeed for a friend that died (to drug overdose I think?). It was in that kaarang magazine. Makes me think it will be more sentimental/ballad-esk.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Scratch that. Just went back to the magazine. Forever Falling is the one about drug abuse, and is the one he sings lead on. Godspeed he did said he wrote for a very dear friend who passed away.

Here's another quote about it
“Godspeed is probably my favourite track, and that one, more than any other when I play it for other people, they say, ‘That’s your song? I wouldn’t have guessed it.’ Right off the bat it sounds like a different band for a moment, and that’s exciting to me. That’s what I was trying to do – that’s what I was chasing.”

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:Scratch that. Just went back to the magazine. Forever Falling is the one about drug abuse, and is the one he sings lead on. Godspeed he did said he wrote for a very dear friend who passed away.

Here's another quote about it
“Godspeed is probably my favourite track, and that one, more than any other when I play it for other people, they say, ‘That’s your song? I wouldn’t have guessed it.’ Right off the bat it sounds like a different band for a moment, and that’s exciting to me. That’s what I was trying to do – that’s what I was chasing.”
Can you also quote the part about Forever Falling?

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Can you also quote the part about Forever Falling?
I wrote Forever Falling about drug abuse [...] That was always one of my favourite songs when I was putting the demos together. When I took it to the band, Elvis said, "I love the song but I'm not in love with that verse." When anybody plants a seed like that, I've got to make it right and make everyone feel good about it, so I rewrote it. A lot of fans had asked about me singing on the last record, and so we wanted to have me singing on this one. Myles said, "Why don't you do Forever Falling because you fought so hard for it?" So I sang the song, and when I was singing the chorus my voice started to get worn out. I went home and when Myles came in, just to be safe, Elvis had him sing the chorus too. When I heard it back it was perfect, and I said, "I'll sing the verse and the bridge and everything else, but we'll have Myles sing the lead on the chorus because he can do it better than me!"
If you haven't seen that page of the interview yet, see it here! - http://www.thealterbridgenation.com/for ... &start=280
For all of the hope that it brings...

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

I'm always kinda confused when Mark talks about drug abuse. He seems and always seemed to me like the guy to call when you need a popular person for an anti-drug abuse campaign.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I'm sure the song isn't pro drug abuse...
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

This is all getting me so amped for the record! 8 days until new Alter Bridge. A single AND video for my 25th! :rockon

I'm going to keep an open mind about a retro sound and synth loops... If Mark is citing John freakin' Carpenter as inspiration, I'm waiting to hear some spooky Halloween sounding intros and bridges. :headscratch
Very interesting sounding stuff from the Tremonster in that Kerrang piece.

sugarandcyanide
Bought The CDs

Post by sugarandcyanide »

Just popping in to say, yayyyyyyyyyy! New AB!
SMKC

07/20/14 - Northfield, OH
09/26/15 - Northfield, OH
08/01/19 - Northfield, OH

Myles - YOTT

11/19/18 - Cleveland, OH

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Timotheus wrote:I'm sure the song isn't pro drug abuse...
Yeah, but I suppose that the lyrics will contian his own experiences, right? I really can't imagine that he once had issues with drug addiction.

Sugar Blade
Bought The CDs

Post by Sugar Blade »

Honestly, I'm all in for synths. Some new, fresh sounds are exactly what AB needs. Yes, they can sound cheesy in the wrong hands, but when applied with taste, it makes them worthwhile.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

Holy shit I'm so hyped for this album

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by TremontiFan4Life »

From everything I've read so far I've got a really strong sense that this album is going to end up making me cry. I'm going through a lot of heavy shit right now and just by the brief descriptions that I've read about this album being the answer to AB III and being a more positive uplifting album I could definitely see that happening.

My grandmother will be 92 years old at the end of the year and unfortunately I think her age is catching up to her, she is very frail to the point that I can no longer look at my current situation and think yeah we'll be okay for another year. Unfortunately I don't think her passing is too far into the future, and when that day comes it is going to set in motion a lot of other events that are going to result in me having to find another place to live after 23 years of being in the same place.

Throughout this bands career they have had the ability with every single album that they have released to directly help me through whatever situations I've been going through at the time of their release. One Day Remains came out in 2004 and while not immediately who knew that three years later I would lose my grandfather and my father two weeks apart from each other. In Loving Memory helped me cope. In 2007 Blackbird came out and that being the year that the both of them passed away that record helped me to find peace, through Brand-New Start and the song Blackbird itself. I know Myles wrote that song for his friend Mark Morris, but if you knew how closely that song described my father and every single health problem he endured throughout his life you would think that that song was written for him.

Even AB III, when that record came out I wasn't in the best of mindsets. I guess I can understand why for many it might not be the best album but in my opinion there were a lot of absolutely amazing songs on that album. Isolation, Fallout, Words Darker Than Their Wings, Life Must Go on, pretty much the whole album for me is fantastic.

Fortress in my eyes was an absolute fucking masterpiece. Taking nothing away from any previous releases, I felt this the very moment I heard that album and I still feel this today, the groove of that record is insane. To me Fortress is only second to Blackbird.

There's a lot of songs on The Last Hero that I still listen to today even but I don't want this post to go on for five more days and I'm pretty sure everybody already gets my point. Every single member of Alter Bridge always seems to come out with something for me right when I need it at the right time. Even Myles' solo album left me in tears.

I'm definitely ready for this, lately I've had nothing to look forward to, at least now I do.