AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by Andy92 »

This website can be such a black hole for anyone trying to enjoy anything.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Andy92 wrote:This website can be such a black hole for anyone trying to enjoy anything.
:yeahthat . I can understand people's concerns when it comes to the production though. A Dying Machine was solid as is Year of the Tiger and wasn't fatiguing at all to hear in full. Why can't that be the case for AB?

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Andy92 wrote:This website can be such a black hole for anyone trying to enjoy anything.
It's okay to not like a song.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

scarecrow wrote:
It's okay to not like a song.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Well I'd prepared for the worst but liked it a lot! The chorus definitely didn't match up to the rest of the song but I loved that intro and verse heavily.

And for once I actually noticed the production issues everyone's talking about, which I'm bizarrely excited about! Must mean it's very bad and I'd hope there's a higher quality version.

Also not sure where people are getting the Driving Rain comparisons from... though this may be because I've listened to that song about 5 times in total.
For all of the hope that it brings...

John3977
Brand New Start

Post by John3977 »

AB did a solid job on this song. Maybe they are saving the catchier tunes for promotion as we get closer to the album’s release. I find it hard to believe that this will be the best song on the album. Maybe they chose the wrong song and didn’t take a demographic of their fans into consideration. I think regardless they have fans that like the creed sound, the Elvis compression sound and in between. They will never make everyone happy IMO. There were people that bitched about Fortress and that was damn near a perfect album.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I hear “it’s okay not to like a song” every single time something gets released here.

Fortress1988
Brand New Start

Post by Fortress1988 »

Ab was know for their melodic and catchy Chorus.
But somewhere I am feeling they are not just making chorus catchy enough.
Dint like the chorus on this song at all !
Song is freaking heavy , love the riffs and all but it doesn't get inside your head easily .
Like isolation , addicted to pain, rise today did.

:shrug :shrug

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Andy92 wrote:I hear “it’s okay not to like a song” every single time something gets released here.
I don't think that was certainly the case for A Dying Machine. Although, some people really hated that Myles went full country on Devil on the Wall (I liked it because it showed that Myles really wanted to do something extremely different than what people thought he would do).

That stated, people were not feeling it that much when it came to the first three songs that was released for The Last Hero. The Other Side was really good though.
Last edited by anguyen92 on Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bit.Slade
Brand New Start

Post by Bit.Slade »

Andy92 wrote:I hear “it’s okay not to like a song” every single time something gets released here.
Been lurking here for a long time, and used to post (but deleted my accounts), but there are a lot of people on here that get mad if AB isn't consistently praised. It *is* okay to dislike their work, and I get it on this song. The tonal shift between the chorus and the rest of the song is just...bad, imo. It doesn't fit and seems that they're trying to fit together pieces just to get a more anthemic sound out of a heavier banger and it just doesn't work. Also, that production is really not great. Not sure why this happened again after the feedback from TLH's production.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Bit.Slade wrote:
Been lurking here for a long time, and used to post (but deleted my accounts), but there are a lot of people on here that get mad if AB isn't consistently praised. It *is* okay to dislike their work, and I get it on this song. The tonal shift between the chorus and the rest of the song is just...bad, imo. It doesn't fit and seems that they're trying to fit together pieces just to get a more anthemic sound out of a heavier banger and it just doesn't work. Also, that production is really not great. Not sure why this happened again after the feedback from TLH's production.
Everyone pretty much liked Fortress, but I’ve read mostly negative comments about the band’s music for the past 3 years. I didn’t really care if someone doesn’t love the new song, but they sure enjoy sprinting to their computer to tell the world...

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Andy92 wrote:
Bit.Slade wrote:
Everyone pretty much liked Fortress, but I’ve read mostly negative comments about the band’s music for the past 3 years. I didn’t really care if someone doesn’t love the new song, but they sure enjoy sprinting to their computer to tell the world...
I'm always on my computer. :P

Bit.Slade
Brand New Start

Post by Bit.Slade »

Andy92 wrote:
Bit.Slade wrote:
Think you kind of provided a reason there for the second part of your statement. Fortress was godly (imo), and TLH wasn't in comparison, not to mention the production really brought those songs down. You might not like hearing negative comments, but that doesn't mean that they are baseless or without reason.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I think it goes back to the whole "You are killing Christmas for Little Timmy" comments I've been making when songs get released. No one wants to be that person that dislikes a gift they got for Christmas and express it in front of their families and loved ones and thus be the person to ruin Christmas for everyone. Any day AB releases a new song is like Christmas to me.

I mean they are free to express their dislikes about the gift more than a week after Christmas and by then, people don't care about it that much. The same could be said about songs as well.
Last edited by anguyen92 on Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

anguyen92 wrote:You are ruining Christmas for Little Timmy
Yes!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I'm wondering if we are all listening to the same song.

I absolutely love it. With the thumping riff/anthemic chorus, I can see octane getting behind this. And (wincing from the backlash I'm sure to receive) I really enjoy the chorus. I'm guessing most of the complaints are coming from the higher note in the chorus, but it LIFTS the song for me.

I need to listen again for Mark's solo, because I was totally entranced with the rythem guitar underneath.

Best single since AtP, and I think it charts higher. Way better than SMAL. Just my $.02
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

scarecrow wrote:I'm always on my computer. :P
I’m pretty much always checking my phone so touché lol.

I just got frustrated after opening the site this morning to read two pages of negative comments before even hearing the song. No one here would see the band at a meet and greet and say “hey guys the new single sucks!”

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

anguyen92 wrote:I think it goes back to the whole "You are ruining Christmas for Little Timmy" comments I've been making when songs get released. No one wants to be that person that dislikes a gift they got for Christmas and express it in front of their families and loved ones and thus be the person to ruin Christmas for everyone. Any day AB releases a new song is like Christmas to me.
Technically tomorrow is Christmas, and we've all just gone and unwrapped it the night before.

Interested to know how much influence there was on the direction of songs after the person had brought it in, say if there was a part that didn't quite stack up to the rest. Was it just up to Elvis to hint that one of them should go back and re-write, like with Forever Falling, or did they have occasions where they'd revert back to the old ways and take it in a different direction? I realise no-one here can answer that, just thinking out loud.

I'm glad they changed things up this time round and it'll be really interesting to hear an album of distinct Mark and Myles songs, but I hope the old method hasn't been completely consigned to history, given we wouldn't have stuff like Cry of Achilles and Calm the Fire without it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I know I'll be singing this thing in St Louis. Cannot wait.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

One Drew Remains wrote:I'm wondering if we are all listening to the same song.

I absolutely love it. With the thumping riff/anthemic chorus, I can see octane getting behind this. And (wincing from the backlash I'm sure to receive) I really enjoy the chorus. I'm guessing most of the complaints are coming from the higher note in the chorus, but it LIFTS the song for me.

I need to listen again for Mark's solo, because I was totally entranced with the rythem guitar underneath.

Best single since AtP, and I think it charts higher. Way better than SMAL. Just my $.02
Well well well, *punches palm with fist* looks like we've got ourselves an optimist.

(Agree with you about Show Me a Leader, which wasted that opening).