AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
RikJohannsen
Bought The CDs

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by RikJohannsen »

:yeahthat

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Speaking as a UK conservative and someone who is more of a Trump fan than the opposite, I can't shake the feeling that Myles had Trump in mind when he wrote this song. Still enjoy it though :)

Mr.Vlado
Bought The CDs

Post by Mr.Vlado »

Dan Dando wrote:Speaking as a UK conservative and someone who is more of a Trump fan than the opposite, I can't shake the feeling that Myles had Trump in mind when he wrote this song. Still enjoy it though :)
Wow, there are still Trump fans? :headscratch
I know I know, no political discussions here, but... well...

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Mr.Vlado wrote:
Dan Dando wrote:Speaking as a UK conservative and someone who is more of a Trump fan than the opposite, I can't shake the feeling that Myles had Trump in mind when he wrote this song. Still enjoy it though :)
The idea that anyone can support, or be a fan of, any current political figures or their standard of discourse is baffling to me..... on either right or left..... in both the USA and the UK. It's never been of a lower quality or as much of a circus side-show.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Crumbso wrote:
Mr.Vlado wrote:
The idea that anyone can support, or be a fan of, any current political figures or their standard of discourse is baffling to me..... on either right or left..... in both the USA and the UK. It's never been of a lower quality or as much of a circus side-show.
I think my words were a bit hazy. When I said that I was more of a Trump fan than the opposite, I was trying to say that I don't believe he is the personification of evil that he is regularly made out to be. And I guess taking that position automatically makes me more of a fan of him than those who do believe he is as evil as it gets? Hope that makes sense? In retrospect, I should have been clearer.

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

I always assumed Myles was left wing (though unwilling to say so in interviews) given songs like "Waters rising", "Bleed it Dry", & "Writing on the wall" criticizing climate change and doubters, the anti-racist message of "Calm the Fire", coming out as an atheist (ABIII), the condemning of religious zealots in "The Other side, and the "false messiah" Trump in "Show me a leader".

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

Timotheus wrote:Pay no mind to the last few posts :shifty
:lol :cheers

Troops4Tremonti
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Troops4Tremonti »

TheEndisHere wrote:I always assumed Myles was left wing (though unwilling to say so in interviews) given songs like "Waters rising", "Bleed it Dry", & "Writing on the wall" criticizing climate change and doubters, the anti-racist message of "Calm the Fire", coming out as an atheist (ABIII), the condemning of religious zealots in "The Other side, and the "false messiah" Trump in "Show me a leader".
"Show me a leader that won't compromise"

The irony is that; Myles got that leader - Trump really hasn't compromised on anything, whether what he's done is seen to be good or bad, he really hasn't compromised all that much. So Myles got what he wanted. He probably just doesn't see eye to eye with the President - in which case, he should have been more specific in SMAL.

I wish AB would stay away from politics. You're not going to change the world by crying about climate change in a song. You're only going to fuel hate in both sides. It's divisive and unnecessary, regardless of what you believe. You want to change the world? Volunteer, donate to the cause, etc. The best politics can get you in the music world is a pat on the back by like-minded individuals. The worst it can get you is that half your fans are ticked off at you for using their money to fund your bully pulpit. Maybe these fans will stay at home on concert night and stream AB records from Spotify.

"We're all too numb and divided" - Sounds like that's where you want to be if you're going to keep writing these divisive songs. :shrug

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Can you please provide evidence that Myles has not donated or contributed to philanthropic causes that he believes in?

Just because a musician writes lyrics that don't fit your narrative or specific ideology doesn't mean that the musician should stray away from that topic altogether. I'm sorry, that's absolutely asinine. Music is art. Art is the tangible form of an artist's expressions and thoughts. An artist is an artist, in large part, because of that creative flexibility.

I hope every single unreleased song on this record is about global warming just so it triggers people,

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I mean for fucks sake, I don't like Kid Rock, but I'm not going to demand that he writes lyrics that hedge on topics of controversy just to be politically correct. Write whatever the fuck you want. Sure, you look like an absolute imbecile much of the time, but if I don't like it, I won't buy it. Simple as that.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Web007rzSOI

I wish this woman would stop pushing her political ideals on people. She's just stirring things up.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I used to love the Black Eyed Peas until they got too political with that Boom Boom Pow controversy.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Timotheus wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Web007rzSOI

I wish this woman would stop pushing her political ideals on people. She's just stirring things up.
Disgusting. I just want to hear songs about lemon squeezing.

This guy can bugger off too.

Seriously though, political expression is more interesting and passionate than banal songs about keeping your chin up. Just deal with the fact that people can disagree with you and move on with your life. If it sounds good, headbang.

RE: SMAL and 'compromise' - I read that as someone who won't compromise their morals for personal gain.

Greenster
Brand New Start

Post by Greenster »

TheEndisHere wrote:I always assumed Myles was left wing (though unwilling to say so in interviews) given songs like "Waters rising", "Bleed it Dry", & "Writing on the wall" criticizing climate change and doubters, the anti-racist message of "Calm the Fire", coming out as an atheist (ABIII), the condemning of religious zealots in "The Other side, and the "false messiah" Trump in "Show me a leader".
I always find it quite funny how bands can preach about climate change when they rack up around 50x air miles than the average person does. It’s quite hypocritical :lol

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

They should focus on something that has never been divisive in the world instead, like religious belief.
For all of the hope that it brings...

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

If this board has taught me anything, it's that literally anything the band could possibly do will be divisive.

I say they should sing whatever they're passionate about and just be genuine.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Ubik wrote:They should focus on something that has never been divisive in the world instead, like religious belief.
Or pineapple on pizza.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

VigilantSteve wrote:If this board has taught me anything, it's that literally anything the band could possibly do will be divisive.

I say they should sing whatever they're passionate about and just be genuine.
Well, you can say that about any band when the topics of either faith or politics come up. Then, when bands talk about stuff like relationships, love and happiness, people are like, "PFFFFFF, talk about something more substantial that matters to this world," which of course, the hot topics are going to be faith or politics and then we go back to square one.
Last edited by anguyen92 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Timotheus wrote:
Ubik wrote:They should focus on something that has never been divisive in the world instead, like religious belief.
Or pineapple on pizza.
Ok now, that would just be crossing the line.

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

On a side note, it looks like the "Pay no mind" video on youtube has been taken down. I bet official video goes up either tomorrow or next Friday