AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by AB4Lyfe »

DarkKnight12 wrote:What’s so odd is that Fortress sounds fantastic.. World on fire does as well and even YOTT sounds insanely good. I really feel like it was the band that pushed him to make the record sound more heavy
Well that’s impossible because these guys are incapable of mistakes..............

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

So, apparently Walk The Sky was mastered by a different company. Not Ted Jensen again. Euphonic Masters out of Memphis did it this time. They posted a picture of one of the songs being worked on and looks like that song was over 6 minutes so that's good. :yes

Torsten
Loyal Follower

Post by Torsten »

UninvitedZero wrote:A new Alter Bridge single on my birthday (28th) sounds pretty damn cool too!
My birthday also falls on the 28 :cheers :beer

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

joshuabeau wrote:So, apparently Walk The Sky was mastered by a different company. Not Ted Jensen again. Euphonic Masters out of Memphis did it this time. They posted a picture of one of the songs being worked on and looks like that song was over 6 minutes so that's good. :yes
Somehow this tweet was not on our radar. Made on June 1st.

https://twitter.com/euphonicmasters/sta ... 0865208320

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

anguyen92 wrote:
joshuabeau wrote:So, apparently Walk The Sky was mastered by a different company. Not Ted Jensen again. Euphonic Masters out of Memphis did it this time. They posted a picture of one of the songs being worked on and looks like that song was over 6 minutes so that's good. :yes
Somehow this tweet was not on our radar. Made on June 1st.

https://twitter.com/euphonicmasters/sta ... 0865208320

They have some very well-known bands on their client list: Trivium, Evanescence, Myles Kennedy...

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

At least the waveform doesn’t look like a total brick wall lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

One of the articles said that AB will tour the US beginning in September before finishing the year in Europe. If that's true, then maybe the Listening Party will be the kickoff for the first leg of the tour. Interesting...

This was a damned cool day. Yeah, it sucks that the internet blew another big moment, but I'm really happy to see the news today.

AB4Life :rockon
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Andy92 wrote:At least the waveform doesn’t look like a total brick wall lol
Before mastering at least. Let’s see what the final waveform looks like
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

gbruin wrote:One of the articles said that AB will tour the US beginning in September before finishing the year in Europe. If that's true, then maybe the Listening Party will be the kickoff for the first leg of the tour. Interesting...

This was a damned cool day. Yeah, it sucks that the internet blew another big moment, but I'm really happy to see the news today.

AB4Lyfe :rockon
FIFY

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Andy92 wrote:At least the waveform doesn’t look like a total brick wall lol
Don't get your hopes up.
Brickwalling usually happens during the mastering phase.

As to the album, all I can say is that I wish there had only been 11 tracks.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Lol what a strange critique before you even hear it.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Beceause.........11 would make it sound so much better than 14 ?!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

riemslag1 wrote:Beceause.........11 would make it sound so much better than 14 ?!
The album as a whole? Probably, yes.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

A shorter album with the flab cut out is preferable, but I like to think optimistically that there will be no flab.

Also of note is that the running time is actually shorter (per the Kev figures) than Fortress, despite having an extra two songs. Which suggests we'll be getting some shorter tracks than we've had in a while.
For all of the hope that it brings...

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I'd rather have a short album with no fillers than a longer album with a couple of fillers.
Look at ODR: I think it's perfect as it is, and if a couple of the B-sides that were recorded during those sessions had been included in the tracklist, the album would be way less impressive as a whole.
On the other hand we have Blackbird, which IMHO would be a MUCH stronger album without Coming Home, One by One and Break me Down (I would also switch Buried Alive with New Way to Live).

Right now, as I type this, I can't think of a 14 song album that is incredible from top to bottom.

Also, we already know the album is 60 minutes long, and for me, it's just too long. I've always prefered albums that were 40 or 45 minutes long, but that's just me.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Yeah. I would be even happy with a shorter one. What's worrying though is that (as somebody mentioned) 60 minutes divided by 14 tracks gives us around 4,2 minutes per song. I hope this record isn't full of radio-friendly, soulless rock anthems.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

chtimixeur wrote:I'd rather have a short album with no fillers than a longer album with a couple of fillers.
Look at ODR: I think it's perfect as it is, and if a couple of the B-sides that were recorded during those sessions had been included in the tracklist, the album would be way less impressive as a whole.
On the other hand we have Blackbird, which IMHO would be a MUCH stronger album without Coming Home, One by One and Break me Down (I would also switch Buried Alive with New Way to Live).

Right now, as I type this, I can't think of a 14 song album that is incredible from top to bottom.

Also, we already know the album is 60 minutes long, and for me, it's just too long. I've always prefered albums that were 40 or 45 minutes long, but that's just me.
But...but... All three of those are great songs. Coming Home and One By One are two of my favorites from the album. I wouldn't take anything off that album, but I would add New Way To Live. I've never understood why people don't like alot of songs on albums. It's more music to listen to. Like Poison In My Veins isn't my favorite AB song, but do I wish they kept it off the album? Nah, I still like to listen to it, even though there is plenty of other songs I would rather listen to.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Working off the times per side that were shared before, you could easily distribute the individual times and get a good idea as to what they could possibly be (however very unlikely as this is all pure speculation and wishing) But you could easily still end up with a good chunk of 5 min songs and at least one 6 min song that we know of from the mixing picture.

I'd be happy with a tracklist like this one if It came down to it.

SIDE A (running time 17:36 )
01. One Life - 3 mins
02. Wouldn‘t You Rather - 4 mins
03. In The Deep - 4 mins
04. Godspeed - 3 mins
05. Native Son - 3 mins
SIDE B (running time 22:41 )
01. Take The Crown - 4 mins
02. Indoctriniation - 4 mins
03. The Bitter End - 5 mins
04. Pay No Mind - 5 mins
05. Forever Calling - 4 mins
SIDE C (running time 20:12 )
01. Clear Horizon - 5 mins
02. Walking On The Sky - 6 mins
03. Tear Us Apart - 5 mins
04. Dying Light - 4 mins

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

I want 7 or 8 Minutes songs :(

I really wish AB would make an album consisting of 7-8 long songs . Or an album such as The Stage by A7X with very long songs and shorter ones

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote: But...but... All three of those are great songs. Coming Home and One By One are two of my favorites from the album.
They're great to you, but no to me. Just to be clear, in no way am I saying my tastes are better than yours, because I think music is a very suggestive thing. Each listener has his own truth, and it's fine this way.
ToNsOFuN88 wrote:I've never understood why people don't like alot of songs on albums. It's more music to listen to.
For me an album is not just a collection of songs. It's more than that: it needs to flow, the sequence of songs is very important, and if a couple of songs are really worse than the other ones, it can ruin the experience when you listen to it from top to bottom.
I've always said ODR was by far my favourite AB record, but if Blackbird had the 11 songs I mentioned above, it may well have been on top of my list.