AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
UninvitedZero
Isolated

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by UninvitedZero »

I wish they'd give us the studio update videos again like they did working on Fortress!

I hope Brian gets a couple shining moments on the new record. Even if it's just a bass intro like The Damage Done or Creed's Illusion. Hearing his playing at Royal Albert Hall through big headphones really gave me a new appreciation for his style and lines!

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Would love to get some videos for studio updates, didn’t have any during the last album cycle. Plus the Fortress updates only added to the hype.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Looks like Brian has tracked 12 of the 14 songs, and the band has taken some time for a photo shoot.

https://www.facebook.com/alterbridge/ph ... =3&theater
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Just posted a pic on their Instagram story with Mark holding a guitar... must be his turn!

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

AB4Lyfe wrote:Just posted a pic on their Instagram story with Mark holding a guitar... must be his turn!
Let the crushing riffs begin! :mtrocks

Jaredr24
Loyal Follower

Post by Jaredr24 »

FOLKS WE GOT OUR FIRST OBSCURE WHITEBOARD PIC

https://www.instagram.com/officialalter ... gh58t4gowo

Looks like a lanyard or something over all the song names, of course :rolleyes
~{AB fan - Go Tops! #WKU}~
”I’ll rest my eyes and let the earth breathe”

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Zoom! Enhance!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Jaredr24 wrote:FOLKS WE GOT OUR FIRST OBSCURE WHITEBOARD PIC

https://www.instagram.com/officialalter ... gh58t4gowo

Looks like a lanyard or something over all the song names, of course :rolleyes
They literally put it there to taunt us.

Just gives us the half titles dammit, just haaaaaaaaalf.
For all of the hope that it brings...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

that's just cold

Post by gbruin »

Getting trolled by Elvis for the loss. :lol

gbruin
MEGLADONG

I want to be there for any of these reasons!

Post by gbruin »

Some more pics on IG yesterday of Mark and Myles tracking guitars.

For further trolling, there is another non-discernible white board in the background and a TV showing Salma Hayek in Desperado.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: I want to be there for any of these reasons!

Post by WaywardOne »

gbruin wrote:Some more pics on IG yesterday of Mark and Myles tracking guitars.

For further trolling, there is another non-discernible white board in the background and a TV showing Salma Hayek in Desperado.
Maybe that was a hint... I think it's safe to jump to conclusions and say the album will be named Desperado! QUICK CHANGE THE THREAD TITLE! :P

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Marky Mark on twitter

"Thanks so much for all the happy birthday wishes, much love!! Just finishing up track 10 on the new Alter Bridge record, 4 more to go!

10:13 PM - 18 Apr 2019"

Yeah yeah happy birthday Mark, board pics or gtfo.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
ELVIS IS THE PRODUCER AGAIN SO THE CYMBALS ARE GONNA BE TOO LOUD AND BLEED THROUGH THE REST IN THE MIX. ALSO IS BRIAN EVEN ON THIS RECORD? WHERES THE BASS!?
For real though, I was relistening to Cauterize & The Last Hero this week after a long hiatus and the sound is so muddied. I don't even consider myself an audiophile and it was legit messing with me.

A coworker introduced me to Igorrr this week and I've been listening through some of their work. I honestly don't really care for them (I like the individual parts but it's just too much of a mashup/thrashup for my tastes) but skip around a bit and compare the clarity and resonance of most of the sounds on this album to anything off of those albums. I think the guitar could be brought out a bit more but for the most part this sounds far less muddied to me

WARNING: AS SOON AS YOU HIT PLAY THE SINGER IS JUST GOING TO BE FLAT OUT SCREAMING

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Going back to the topic of the fact that AB has managed to finalized 14 songs to be ready to be recorded in a matter of weeks. I stumbled upon this interview from Scott Stapp. He stated that songs like Say I, Higher, and With Arms Wide Open comes from soundchecks. Mark was fiddling around with stuff and then Stapp had some lyrics right away and the rest of the song just comes together in a matter of minutes. Mark confirmed that was indeed the case for Higher when he did Loudwire's Wikipedia Fact or Fiction.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... _says.html

We also know that the genesis of the idea for A Dying Machine comes from an AB soundcheck from a show in Hungary. It wouldn't be out of the ordinary if Mark and/or Myles just fiddle around with the guitar during soundchecks in their last AB tour, played something they like, and think, "This can be a great AB song somewhere down the line. Let's remember these ideas and go back to it when it's time to record the next AB album."

I don't think these guys would compose 14 songs and not be happy with it if it's not on par with their expectations. I would like to think they can restrain themselves to say "3-4 of these songs are not great enough for us, let's not record it now and maybe go back to it in the album after this." Above all else, they have to satisfied themselves before they focus on us as fans. Isn't that really what musicians should strive to do? Please themselves and we the fans can make the decision whether we can get along for the ride and their vision or not.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Like, the entire creation of The Last Hero originated from some sort of Trump campaign run that Myles was watching on TV, and was like: "Well, they're selling another messiah here tonight."

lol

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:Like, the entire creation of The Last Hero originated from some sort of Trump campaign run that Myles was watching on TV, and was like: "Well, they're selling another messiah here tonight."

lol
Got a source for that? I can only remember Myles mentioning that some of the lyrics were inspired by the 2016 election as a whole. I don't recall him directly referring to Trump's campaign.

Ignore me if you were just joking :lol

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Dan Dando wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:Like, the entire creation of The Last Hero originated from some sort of Trump campaign run that Myles was watching on TV, and was like: "Well, they're selling another messiah here tonight."

lol
Got a source for that? I can only remember Myles mentioning that some of the lyrics were inspired by the 2016 election as a whole. I don't recall him directly referring to Trump's campaign.

Ignore me if you were just joking :lol
I was half-joking. It was inspired by something, for sure. I wouldn't doubt if it was Trump though haha. My point is that one simple thought seemed to be the catalyst for what the rest of the album represented, and likely was its launching pad.

Strange anecdotal digression, but I remember after Saw VI came out, I had a nifty idea for a scene that could play out in the next sequel. I downloaded a scriptwriting program and drafted it that night. After that, I started to get more and more ideas. Three days later (and to say that possibly 50 of those 72 waking hours were devoted to said screenplay), I had an entire 160-page film sequel written out. I just cranked out page after page as I kept building momentum.

I assume this could be what AB did for TLH.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Going to be honest here...

I'm going to love whatever they do. These are my boys, and while we can bitch about the wall of sound, or lack of bass; I've already pre-ordered. I'm going to two shows minimum on the next tour. The album will accompany me on jogs and road trips.

You're all entitled to your opinions about whatever facet of the record. But I'm just glad in this time of EPs or no new music from a lot of acts, that we are getting what you know is going to be a killer full album from a group of guys who make great music.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

One Drew Remains wrote:Going to be honest here...

I'm going to love whatever they do. These are my boys, and while we can bitch about the wall of sound, or lack of bass; I've already pre-ordered. I'm going to two shows minimum on the next tour. The album will accompany me on jogs and road trips.

You're all entitled to your opinions about whatever facet of the record. But I'm just glad in this time of EPs or no new music from a lot of acts, that we are getting what you know is going to be a killer full album from a group of guys who make great music.
The music I have all the faith in the world in... I wonder what a Butch Vig produced AB record would sound like though!

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

One Drew Remains wrote:Going to be honest here...

:cheers