AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by Timotheus »

I just hope the lyrics won't be too cheesy. For the rest, I'm excited by all the information.

It isn't going to be a synthwave sound...
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

dang, i was really hoping for some bluegrass jams
Abe Lincoln- "Honey, where did you put my shirt?"

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

RikJohannsen wrote:
WaywardOne wrote:"Retro" and "old school synth vibe" sound absolutely terrible. Very concerned over what this is going to sound like now.
But why? I would love to hear AB try some new territory. Expand the game a little, gain some new fans across the globe.
Well, it's back to the old "people want them to try something new," and when that happens then you get some fans that goes "why did they have to do something new? I want them to do it the way they used to do" and when people make those kinds of comments, it usually deters the band to do something new. And people question why rock is having issues moving itself forward as a genre?
poshisjarker wrote:dang, i was really hoping for some bluegrass jams
I think that's something Myles is probably looking into for his next solo album, if there is a next solo album.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

anguyen92 wrote:
RikJohannsen wrote:
WaywardOne wrote:"Retro" and "old school synth vibe" sound absolutely terrible. Very concerned over what this is going to sound like now.
But why? I would love to hear AB try some new territory. Expand the game a little, gain some new fans across the globe.
Well, it's back to the old "people want them to try something new," and when that happens then you get some fans that goes "why did they have to do something new? I want them to do it the way they used to do" and when people make those kinds of comments, it usually deters the band to do something new. And people question why rock is having issues moving itself forward as a genre?
poshisjarker wrote:dang, i was really hoping for some bluegrass jams
I think that's something Myles is probably looking into for his next solo album, if there is a next solo album.
Nothing against them trying new things, it's just that those descriptors make me think of synthy 80's music, which I very much dont like. Just my personal taste.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I mean tbf we're reacting now to a few sentences, largely because it's the first information we've actually had about what it'll sound like. Our imagination can run away with us after such a famine. I didn't really like the last Slash album which had that kind of vibe (edit - talking about the "anti-ABIII" thing here, not 80s synth), which is probably playing on my mind more than it should.
Last edited by Ubik on Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The Other Side was influenced by Massive Attack. It's just a new approach to writing the music. Mark himself says in the article that we might not even hear the influence.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

WaywardOne wrote: Nothing against them trying new things, it's just that those descriptors make me think of synthy 80's music, which I very much dont like. Just my personal taste.
I highly doubt AB is going to go in the way Muse (first band that came to my mind about this topic) did with their latest album. Don't think AB has that outlandish creativeness that Muse has (especially when it comes to music videos).

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

anguyen92 wrote:
WaywardOne wrote: Nothing against them trying new things, it's just that those descriptors make me think of synthy 80's music, which I very much dont like. Just my personal taste.
I highly doubt AB is going to go in the way Muse (first band that came to my mind about this topic) did with their latest album. Don't think AB has that outlandish creativeness that Muse has (especially when it comes to music videos).
Ah see that's a perfect example of what I fear, thank you. And to everyone's point, you're right, they likely won't veer that far off. Obviously going to stay hyped and hope for the best.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Ubik wrote:Ah man, I like the depressing stuff.
Me too man! :-(

But we'll see. I like that Mark had another approach and who knows what the sound will be. Hope it's still dark and moody at times.

RikJohannsen
Bought The CDs

Post by RikJohannsen »

Mark and Myles are great songwriters! Plus Scott and Brian had their opinions as well about the songs. If the whole band thinks it's great music, then I think we shouldn't worry about a thing. Maybe it'll sound different from what we're used to but that doesn't mean, it's bad. I guess we have to wait how the first single sounds and after that we may have a better idea what the rest of the album will sound like!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Myles describing the period for AB fans between the album finishing and finally getting to hear it:

"Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears,
Step into the realm of madness if you dare my dear."
For all of the hope that it brings...

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

It's a funny thing. I guess if Year of the Tiger can be interpreted as a prequel to AB III when discussing faith and beliefs and how these ideas have betrayed a person, I guess Walk the Sky can be seen as the epilogue to AB III which may involve the aftermath of what the person's mind is going through when going through the dark stuff/thoughts and actually finding the light at the end of the tunnel which AB's been lacking as of late. Let's face it, the ending to Fortress and The Last Hero, as great and epic those title songs are, ended those albums on a bit of a downer note full of doubt and uncertainty.

It's nice to actually see the idea of the band try to tackle a more happier ending, especially when approaching the later stages of their career and achieving their successes at this point.

Jaredr24
Loyal Follower

Post by Jaredr24 »

I’m personally hyped for a newer sound plus more positive lyrics too. AB III was an album I really resonated with lyrically at the time but now things are better which to me shows that AB somehow always knows what I’m going through :lol

I love bands like The 1975 that have a retro/synthy sound but I don’t see AB going too far into that. I imagine that the loops and synth stuff will be more like the intro to STTV on AB III and such but could be wrong. More positive songs makes me hopeful that we’ll get AT LEAST one good ballad on this album (Pay No Mind, Forever Falling with Mark on lead, and Clear Horizon sounds like they could be ballads to me) but I won’t give my hopes up
~{AB fan - Go Tops! #WKU}~
”I’ll rest my eyes and let the earth breathe”

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

After The First The Last, I am so down to hear a ballad with Mark doing some heavy lifting on the vocals with a Myles chorus!

I do hope the synth stuff sounds like Slip To the Void and nothing like newer Shinedown or Godsmack... Nothing over the top. Maybe a moody intro or bridge.

Super hyped!

SlipToTheABVoid
Brand New Start

Post by SlipToTheABVoid »

anguyen92 wrote:It's a funny thing. I guess if Year of the Tiger can be interpreted as a prequel to AB III when discussing faith and beliefs and how these ideas have betrayed a person, I guess Walk the Sky can be seen as the epilogue to AB III which may involve the aftermath of what the person's mind is going through when going through the dark stuff/thoughts and actually finding the light at the end of the tunnel which AB's been lacking as of late. Let's face it, the ending to Fortress and The Last Hero, as great and epic those title songs are, ended those albums on a bit of a downer note full of doubt and uncertainty.

It's nice to actually see the idea of the band try to tackle a more happier ending, especially when approaching the later stages of their career and achieving their successes at this point.
The Last Hero is sort of a downer, but I do think it has a glimmer of hope. The final lyrics are, "Though it's much too late/This I hope to see/There is still a chance left/For you and me."

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by TremontiFan4Life »

Someone please tell me if I've gone a little bit insane. I'm not trying to show off, and I don't have any friends so I can impress anyone, and no one will ever see the stuff but me but I've been thinking for quite a while since I was made aware that stuff had gone up for preorder what it was I wanted to get for this album cycle and I couldn't decide so I bought everything I wanted. Has anyone else ever got this much stuff at once? Have I gone insane or is it only in my own mind? I can't get out to shows so this is really the only way I get to support the band, but admittedly whenever the AB, Tremonti and Myles album cycles come around I always feel like it's wrong to not buy anything, but has anyone else bought this much?

ALTER BRIDGE - Walk The Sky /Deluxe Boxset + Black 2LP + Walk The Sky T-Shirt + Bird T-Shirt Diehard Bundle Pre-Order Release Date: 10/18/2019

SKU: NPR824SDBV
1 $90.99 ALTER BRIDGE - Walk The Sky / Deluxe Boxset

1 x ALTER BRIDGE - Walk The Sky / Limited Edition Deluxe Boxset Pre-Order Release Date: 10/18/2019 $0.00
ALTER BRIDGE - Walk The Sky / Black LP

1 x ALTER BRIDGE - Walk The Sky / BLACK 2LP W/ Etching Pre-Order Release Date: 10/18/2019 $0.00
ALTER BRIDGE - Walk The Sky / Shirt

1 x ALTER BRIDGE - Walk The Sky / T-Shirt-XL Pre Order $0.00
ALTER BRIDGE - Bird Shirt

1 x ALTER BRIDGE - Bird Shirt-XL Pre Order $0.00

ALTER BRIDGE - Walk The Sky / Limited Edition Earbook Pre-Order Release Date: 10/18/2019

SKU: NPR824EB
1 $45.99

ALTER BRIDGE - Walk The Sky / Limited Edition SILVER 2LP W/ ETCHING Pre-Order Release Date: 10/18/2019

SKU: NPR824VINYLS
1 $24.99

ALTER BRIDGE - Walk The Sky / Limited Edition GOLD 2LP W/ ETCHING Pre-Order Release Date: 10/18/2019

SKU: NPR824VINYLG

Alter Bridge: Walk the Sky - Broken Cover Hoodie + CD Bundle × 1
$42.99

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

You’re not insane brother, you’re awesome! A true fan :rockon

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

I'm going to pop hard for some tasteful moog, I love that stuff. I really like the textural background synth of bands like Toska, where guitars/bass/drums are still at the forefront but a bit of synth adds depth and character. If it's that kind of direction I'm extremely excited. I don't know how I'd feel about them going full in your face synth but I like Rush too, so I won't judge before I hear it.

As for being more optimistic, I think that's kind of what the world needs right now. I certainly feel like I could do with some inspirational uplift at times. While I'm over Rise Today as their set closer, it and Before Tomorrow Comes were two of the songs that got me hooked on AB, so hearing a bit more of that wouldn't be unwelcome.

ElliotYork
Brand New Start

Post by ElliotYork »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:Apple killed the concept of an "album" with iTunes. I'm surprised people even care. I listen start to finish on very first listen of AB records, but never again after that. I just pick whatever I feel like hearing.

Come to Life flows into Brand New Start, but other than that, whats the point of listening to their records as "an album"? Don't get it.
I pretty much only ever listen to albums front-to-back. That's the way they are intended to be heard. I'm not saying you can't pop on the odd track here or there when you are in a certain mood or don't have time for the full album, but you aren't getting the full experience if you're not listening all the way through.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

ElliotYork wrote:
psycosquirrel789 wrote:Apple killed the concept of an "album" with iTunes. I'm surprised people even care. I listen start to finish on very first listen of AB records, but never again after that. I just pick whatever I feel like hearing.

Come to Life flows into Brand New Start, but other than that, whats the point of listening to their records as "an album"? Don't get it.
I pretty much only ever listen to albums front-to-back. That's the way they are intended to be heard. I'm not saying you can't pop on the odd track here or there when you are in a certain mood or don't have time for the full album, but you aren't getting the full experience if you're not listening all the way through.
I'm not sure I agree with the notion of "how its intended to be heard" for Alter Bridge. Unless its a concept album that tells a story, then maybe. Some albums are absolutely intended for front to back listening - the Mars Volta comes to mind. But Alter Bridge records are just a collection of songs recorded at the same time. There's no real reason to listen straight through - IMO.

I mostly listen to music at such disjointed times. In the car, the gym, at work during break. I have never set aside an hour+ to listen to an entire record - except for the first time, mostly because of my own personal tradition, not for the "experience" of the album. That honestly seems odd and unnecessary to me. lol But to each their own. :headbang