AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Re: only when Greg posts

Post by LosingPatience »

Timotheus wrote:
Ubik wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:I second that. I dont remember the hate for this on release
It was the least favourite straight away - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3006

I do wonder how opinions have altered over the years. I was gonna do some polls on the weakest song from every album but never got round to it.
I like reading my old posts. Most of the time I don't remember writing them, and it doesn't happen a lot on here that I read a post and think: "I completely agree with this guy!! Bless his wisdom!"

Id gladly take another You Will Be Remembered over In The Deep, what a stinker

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by Silvercreed »

RikJohannsen wrote:I don't really get the hate towards Elvis... I mean he produced not only the "bad sounding" records but also Blackbird! So, if you have anyone to blame, blame the band. They chose Elvis in the first place and they decided to let him produce their other records as well... so...
True. Watching this interview, Myles talking about the mix and giving Elvis all the praise... no offense but I just wanted to slap him in the face (just for wake up) :S

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

Silvercreed wrote:
RikJohannsen wrote:I don't really get the hate towards Elvis... I mean he produced not only the "bad sounding" records but also Blackbird! So, if you have anyone to blame, blame the band. They chose Elvis in the first place and they decided to let him produce their other records as well... so...
True. Watching this interview, Myles talking about the mix and giving Elvis all the praise... no offense but I just wanted to slap him in the face (just for wake up) :S
Yeah the problem I think it's that the guys are talking about how elvis put every lick or riff or instrument on the mix in terms of volume (?), not about quality cause we can agree that it's not the best, not as clear as we want it to be.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

It's clear they have a STRONG friendship and comfort level with Elvis that's probably blinded them to his weaknesses. Which is their right. They can do what they want. They don't owe us a record with a different producer / mixer. But I understand and sympathize with the disappointment from fans.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I’ve always thought their stuff sounded great, I never noticed any issue with the mixing until Walk the Sky, so I think it might be because of how rushed this record was. They had to get in the studio and get everything recorded and mixed in record time, so maybe that affected the quality.

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

In unrelated news I got my email saying my copy of WTS CD and Vinyl were shipped so it is feeling very real. Quite excited to hopefully be listening to the album next weekend

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Mark saying great things about Elvis, once again:
Q: Talk a little bit about working with Michael and what he brings to the Alter Bridge equation.

M: I've worked with him for nine records now: four solo records, five Alter Bridge records, Myles [Kennedy] has used him on all his side projects too; I think he's on two Slash records and [Myles'] solo record.

He's awesome, he's just a kind of guy that if you put together a demo and you love the song that you've demoed, it's gonna be that much better when he and Jeff as engineer get their hands on it. He is the type of producer who gets in there and writes music for people. He doesn't do that with us, we're not a type of band that's ever gonna write anything that comes from anybody outside the band, he's more of a producer that helps us filter, like, 'Alright, maybe this song's bridge, it's like I'm losing it, so Myles and Mark, find me another bridge.'

If we feel strongly about it, like, 'No, I'll let just live with it for a minute,' but we consider his opinion all the time, he gets the best take out of you, he's got great bedside manner as far as like when you're in there singing, he makes sure you're getting the vocal performances. When you're doing your guitar leads, he's cheerleading in there, rooting you to get the best performance out of you. He's critical when we get our final arrangements done, he's great at transitions.

You know, me and Myles write an album every year and a half, Elvis is in there non-stop writing with all these other bands, so he's got so many fresh ideas all the time, his mixing is top-notch, the tones he gets when he's recording the original takes are incredible.

If you listen to his records backed up to other people's records, you kind of really see how great he is.
source: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... album.html

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Despite most of us disagreeing, I understand the comfort level they have with Elvis now and why they keep working with him. That being said, it was clear on this album they made it a point to change up how they wrote the songs since their far enough into their careers now. If they really want to explore and expand, they should do the next album with a different producer, even if it's not because their unhappy with Elvis, just for the sake of shaking things up. Good or bad producer, it should be obvious to them how good it can be to get out of your comfort zone once and awhile.

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

New written review of Walk the Sky, revealing lyrics from the songs Tear us Apart and The Bitter End: https://philspicks.wordpress.com/2019/1 ... er-bridge/
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

https://soundvapors.com/review-alter-br ... k-the-sky/
Review: Alter Bridge – Walk The Sky
POSTED OCTOBER 11, 2019 ADMIN

Alter Bridge – Walk The Sky

Release Date: October 18, 2019 via Napalm Records

11 October 2019

Alter Bridge is set to release their new album – Walk The Sky on October 18th. I’ll tell you something.. these guys have completed a 14 song jewel. In fact, there are so many nuances in the songs, Walk The Sky sits nicely on top of my list of favorite Alter Bridge records. It’s almost like they’ve taken the best characteristics of their former albums and focused on writing and recording a powerful-but subtle in the right places, record. I’ll explain.

The first abbreviated track, One Life sets up the album sort of like the way a movie begins with theme music to introduce the mood. Wouldn’t You Rather is that classic Alter Bridge sound. Guitars that chug along with drummer Scott Phillips kick drum. Thick, low end bass guitar, soaring guitar solos and chorus harmony vocals that will resonate with every fan. Hell of a way to start the album.

The next two songs took me on a trip that I didn’t expect to go on. Let me preface this next part by saying – what I’m about to write doesn’t mean that, I think the band sounds like the following artists. I was joyfully reminded of a certain sound or era of rock music. An era that I find myself missing and listening to from time to time. I realize I’m taking a big risk here by putting a hard rock band like Alter Bridge in the same, well not ball park, let’s say the National League, with some of the bands I’m going to mention. This is simply by the sound and feel of the next couple of songs but hopefully you’ll pick up what I’m laying down. Now, moving on..

There was a sound in the late 70’s and more specifically the early 80’s that I love. I’m talking about the album oriented rock (AOR) sound of bands like Journey, Autograph, Night Ranger, etc. As I was previewing this album the following two songs peaked my interest by not only being killer songs but made me think that if bands like those I mentioned above were dominating radio today like they did back in that era, this is what I think they could very well sound like.

Ten seconds in on the song In The Deep is where this journey started for me. It just had that AOR sound. When they go into the chorus, singer Myles Kennedy harmonizes brilliantly over Tremonti’s guitar riff that would surely make Neal Schon smile. Luckily for me the AOR bliss did not end there. The next song on our throwback road trip, Godspeed, has that head bobbing, straight kick groove going on and I love it. Tremonti’s double’s on the guitar strings fill out the sound between the bass drum hits. Like I said before, it just has that early 80’s rock feel, the kind that was around before the hair metal explosion.

The next song starts with subtle guitar picking and hums that could be straight off of Human Clay. Then the power. The power of Brian Marshall’s bass combined with what is my favorite drum track on the record gives us an unbelievable segue back to the current sound of AB. Vocally, my favorite part of the song is in the choruses. I’m such a fan of the way the notes of the “whoa’s” are sung. I would say this is probably the song I have revisited the most on the album so far.

The album doesn’t really have a lull spot for me. Songs like Indoctrination and The Bitter End keep my brain engaged with their dark tones and unique drum patterns, respectively. Forever Falling marks a return to lead vocal for Tremonti, with Kennedy taking on chorus responsibilities. They combine for one of the stronger tracks on the album. The changes from full time to half time set this song up for multiple listens.

The record’s finale is Dying Light. I haven’t talked about lyrical content but there is sort of an introspective feel on this entire album. Some of those feelings can be understandably dark but I also feel a glimmer of hope, even within some of the darkest places of the record. I’ll leave it up to you to interpret what Kennedy is trying to get across but taking a look at a lyric in the last song: I think this really sums up what I meant about a glimmer of hope in dark places.

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

New acoustic performance of Wouldn't You Rather

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

Oh shit they played this version again

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

Holy shit playing broken wings acoustically is a very welcome surprise

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

And so also would be an album and/or dvd of a full intimate acoustic set..............a bit like the MTV-sessions.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Blackbirddd wrote:

Oh shit they played this version again
His voice sounds as full here as I've ever heard it. Great performance.

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

Here we go, it's In Loving Memory and Ghost of Days Gone By!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Holy cripes, Ghost acoustic is excellent.
For all of the hope that it brings...

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

Ubik wrote:Holy cripes, Ghost acoustic is excellent.
I've always wanted to hear Ghost acoustically and this was as good as I imagined it to be!

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Timing of Myles is a bit off at the second verse, but other than that it sounds great indeed! :-)

tremontibr
Brand New Start

Post by tremontibr »

fix wrote:Timing of Myles is a bit off at the second verse, but other than that it sounds great indeed! :-)

sometimes I have the feeling that Myles cannot sing as he usually does on the album version... just because he is playing the guitar :yes