AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Man it just seems like there is no pleasing alot of you guys. I get it. Different strokes for different folks. This song is amazing, idk what you guys are hearing or not hearing. Best song so far.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I like it MUCH better than TSoF.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

AB23 wrote:This is also the most Sevendust sounding song in their entire catalogue imo. Like, I can totally imagine Lajon singing this song, especially the build up to the chorus.
Dammit...now I might have to listen to it before the album comes out.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Sugar Blade wrote:Yep, their newest music videos definetely should be thrown to the trash bin with stadium rock attempts and modern rock radio singles. They deserve better visual representation than this.
Well, when I first opened it I thought the video hadn't loaded properly. Then I thought it's same kind of 3D shit and I need special glasses for it... but that's the actual thing?
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Mr.Vlado
Bought The CDs

Post by Mr.Vlado »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
Arctic wrote:I really don’t get the hate for TSoF. It’s one of the better songs on that album.
For myself personally, it's just the epitome of all of the problems with the band's puzzle-piece songwriting. To my ears, it doesn't sound like one cohesive piece of music. It instead sounds like the band saying, "And now, we're gonna play this part!" and everything feels out of place.
I know that it is just your opinion and perspective and that is totally fine. I would just like to say that it is just kind of a different kind of metal/rock as it is a bit progressive. I don't think that TSoF sounds in any way puzzle-pieced but I can see why people feel like it is.
The Last Hero, This Side of Fate and also Fortress are all kind of progressive or have at least some progressive elements in them (on purpose), so I am pretty sure they don't sound as they sound because the guys just threw things together, it was done on purpose and I personally totally love it.

btt: I really like Dying Light, especially the verses, bridge and solo. The chorus is good but still I am waiting for a really great chorus. I basically like all the songs a lot, but the choruses are always the weakest part for me.

Also WYR really grew on me. I liked it at first, now I REALLY like it. Just a great heavy AB song. I wonder what people would think about the song if it wasn't released before the album. I assume we are overly critical when it comes especially to the first single of an album, if it was just a song on Walk the Sky I can definitely see more people really liking it.

For me now:

1 Dying Light
2 In the Deep/Wouldn't You Rather
3 Take the Crown
4 Pay No Mind (still like it)

:mkrules :mtrocks

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

If this song came out in 2010, everyone would be going crazy about it. I like the song a lot, but I also feel like at 6 albums in we’ve all been spoiled by so much good songwriting since 2004. Compare this to what bands like Shinedown and Breaking Benjamin have done from 2004 to now, and AB’s level of songwriting has stayed up at a very high pace this decade compared to other bands like that who just hit a brick wall in quality.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Andy92 wrote:If this song came out in 2010, everyone would be going crazy about it. I like the song a lot, but I also feel like at 6 albums in we’ve all been spoiled by so much good songwriting since 2004. Compare this to what bands like Shinedown and Breaking Benjamin have done from 2004 to now, and AB’s level of songwriting has stayed up at a very high pace this decade compared to other bands like that who just hit a brick wall in quality.
Agreed, Andy. You just have a better way to put it more coherent posts than I could.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Dolo wrote:I always get trigged by that bridge in TSoF that comes out of nowhere. Definitely a result of puzzle songwriting.
Yup, this exactly.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Andy92 wrote:If this song came out in 2010, everyone would be going crazy about it. I like the song a lot, but I also feel like at 6 albums in we’ve all been spoiled by so much good songwriting since 2004. Compare this to what bands like Shinedown and Breaking Benjamin have done from 2004 to now, and AB’s level of songwriting has stayed up at a very high pace this decade compared to other bands like that who just hit a brick wall in quality.
Despite some of my frustrations with the band over the years, I do agree with you on this. I also think it illustrates why there's a divide on this board. Some fans wanted a lot more of what AB did back then, so this kind of stuff makes them happy. Others, like myself, would rather they explore in other ways. And there's no wrong or right on either side there, I'm not making a value judgment. But I think the fan base kind of "split" over time. At the risk of generalizing too much, I think there are those that are really into the "epic" and progressive side of AB, and there are others that prefer the more down-to-earth, organic kind of stuff they've done.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

You are pretty on point I think. Not just the proggy stuff but maybe also heavy should be in the mix. But AB caters to both sides usually, only ‘production’/sound wise they are less organic than the ODR/BB days.

I’m a sucker for Dying Light though. Listened through my headphones a few times and almost had tears in my eyes haha! For me, in this song the layers work and really pull me into the song and all that’s happening really adds to the song imo.
I know that’s not what everyone thinks and I agree a lot of times, but with this song I forget all the problems I often have with the production side of things. :-)

luke62
White Knuckled

Post by luke62 »

Anybody in the US been able to download via iTunes? Still says it’s not available in my region

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

It has been a while since I last posted. So far Pay No Mind is my favorite from Walk The Sky. I usually listen to the singles in a variety of places - car, living room, in the dark on head phones. My opinion is that they are still adding too many layers to Myles' voice and things just get so muddy at times in the newer songs. Dying Light sounds too much like This Side of Fate to me and I prefer TSOF especially the solos. I am still waiting for a song to give me chills like Metalingus, Brand New Start, Isolation, Bleed It Dry, or Island of Fools.
_^:Tangled in your trance and I'm certain:^_

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Dolo wrote:
nagpo wrote:Are their any version of the CD for retail that have extra b-sides on them?
We've said like thousand times that there are no b-sides this time.
Thanks, I don't have time to read a thousand posts.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Sugar Blade wrote:Yep, their newest music videos definetely should be thrown to the trash bin with stadium rock attempts and modern rock radio singles. They deserve better visual representation than this.
This is a strange song. I can certainly say I've never heard something quite like it. I can't say I immediately like it either.

olof79
Rise Today

Post by olof79 »

Sounds a bit like Creeds Time in the verses.. I like it. I think this will be a staple in the live shows for a long time.
Dying Light*

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Can someone enlighten me on the classical composer they can think of when they hear the verses? I think its Beethoven and it really sounds very familiar, but I can't recall the name of the piece.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

luke62 wrote:Anybody in the US been able to download via iTunes? Still says it’s not available in my region
I downloaded it last night off of iTunes in the states.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

One Drew Remains wrote:I like it MUCH better than TSoF.

Wish it was half as good, at least it had a kickass bridge and killer solo

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
Despite some of my frustrations with the band over the years, I do agree with you on this. I also think it illustrates why there's a divide on this board. Some fans wanted a lot more of what AB did back then, so this kind of stuff makes them happy. Others, like myself, would rather they explore in other ways. And there's no wrong or right on either side there, I'm not making a value judgment. But I think the fan base kind of "split" over time. At the risk of generalizing too much, I think there are those that are really into the "epic" and progressive side of AB, and there are others that prefer the more down-to-earth, organic kind of stuff they've done.
I’d agree there seem to be two main trains of thought in the fan base today, and there’s no right or wrong opinion about it. I tend to find myself pretty satisfied with recent AB material because I’ve been so let down by other bands I used to love 10 years ago with how far they’re drifted from their core sound. I can also see how some fans see the band as sticking too close to a familiar formula. I don’t think AB has really seen a large drop in quality in their past few albums, I just think it doesn’t sound new to our ears anymore. Walk The Sky right now largely reminds me of AB III, and I think if Walk The Sky was their 3rd album instead of their 6th, we would look at this material more like we looked at AB III back then.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Andy92 wrote:I’ve been so let down by other bands I used to love 10 years ago with how far they’re drifted from their core sound.

You and me both, Andy, and I think I have an idea of what bands you are referring to.
I think if Walk The Sky was their 3rd album instead of their 6th, we would look at this material more like we looked at AB III back then.
We would find ourselves disappointed in the fact that they didn't do Blackbird part II, but find in a few years that the album is actually pretty darn great and a worthy album in the AB catalog?