AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
AB23
Still Remains

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by AB23 »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
DarkKnight12 wrote:I don't get the "sounds like slash"! To me it sounds like a Tremonti songs for the chorus riff and bridge. And sounds like AB on verse and pre chorus
Chorus kind of reminds me Motley Crue.
I like the song, but if I have one criticism, it's that I feel like the chorus felt like it should've been more. It almost feels to me like they were lost when they were mapping out the melody, so it just goes UP and DOWN and UP and DOWN. Idk, feels out of place.

But maybe this song is a grower on other people. I fucking really do like it. I dig the shit out of this. Feels like a Mighty Morphin Power Ranger where they pull elements from the green, blue white, rainbow, teal, turqoise, violet, black power rangers to form a super cool robot. Like they pulled elements from AB, Slash, Breaking Benjamin, late 80s rock, but still came out as AB in the end.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

AB23 wrote:
ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
DarkKnight12 wrote:I don't get the "sounds like slash"! To me it sounds like a Tremonti songs for the chorus riff and bridge. And sounds like AB on verse and pre chorus
Chorus kind of reminds me Motley Crue.
I like the song, but if I have one criticism, it's that I feel like the chorus felt like it should've been more. It almost feels to me like they were lost when they were mapping out the melody, so it just goes UP and DOWN and UP and DOWN. Idk, feels out of place.

But maybe this song is a grower on other people. I fucking really do like it. I dig the shit out of this. Feels like a Mighty Morphin Power Ranger where they pull elements from the green, blue white, rainbow, teal, turqoise, violet, black power rangers to form a super cool robot. Like they pulled elements from AB, Slash, Breaking Benjamin, late 80s rock, but still came out as AB in the end.
Dammit now I'm picturing the power rangers opening with this song playing lol. I feel like I'm forever going to picture the power rangers wen I listen to this now.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

It's night and day when you can hear individual instruments in a cleaner production. It's still far from perfect, but imo, it's the "cleanest" song of the 4. Even if you don't like it, it's broken down and cleaner sounding.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

AB23 wrote:It's night and day when you can hear individual instruments in a cleaner production. It's still far from perfect, but imo, it's the "cleanest" song of the 4. Even if you don't like it, it's broken down and cleaner sounding.
That's funny actually, I can notice that this is the best sounding song out of the other four, how can this be so inconsistent? :lol I mean what the fuck the same dude produced and mixed this songs :lol

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

Well I think I went too far saying that this is the least favorite of the four, I'll say it's Pay No Mind > Take The Crown > In The Deep > Wouldn't You Rather

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I'm not even a guy who has expensive headphones and normally gives af about that stuff. But you can absolutely hear a clear difference, even from a novice's (me) perspective.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I admit i had higher expectations because of the general feeling that this was going to be the best single, and the only review we have listing it as one of the best songs on the record. I expected something soaring like BNS, so this is probably the most jarringly disappointed I’ve been with an AB song on first listen. I gave it a few more spins and I’ll admit it has a pretty neat groove to it. Still not what I wanted out of this song but it’s not as bad as I first believed.

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

Where are you guys hearing this?

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Does it have a similar vibe to anything in their back catalogue?
For all of the hope that it brings...

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

I really like the verse and the chorus.
It gave me hope to hear a clean chorus, without a lot of effects and overdrive all over the place.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Ubik wrote:Does it have a similar vibe to anything in their back catalogue?
The only thing that kinda sorta maybe comes close is Break Me Down.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Arctic wrote: The only thing that kinda sorta maybe comes close is Break Me Down.
Oh.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Fortress1988
Brand New Start

Post by Fortress1988 »

Alterbridge always had
Catchy , melodic chorus which used to connect right away.
Somehow I feel since The Last hero album
Chorus are messed up, and if a song takes time to grow on you, in my opinion it's a bad thing.
Songs or singles should connect to us right away
If it takes 4-5 listen just to get connected to the song then it makes no sense
It's like reading a book 3 times to understand it

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Fortress1988 wrote:Alterbridge always had
Catchy , melodic chorus which used to connect right away.
Somehow I feel since The Last hero album
Chorus are messed up, and if a song takes time to grow on you, in my opinion it's a bad thing.
Songs or singles should connect to us right away
If it takes 4-5 listen just to get connected to the song then it makes no sense
It's like reading a book 3 times to understand it
I mean it took multiple listens for Blackbird to click sooooooooo.....

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Ubik wrote:
Arctic wrote: The only thing that kinda sorta maybe comes close is Break Me Down.
Oh.
It doesn't sound anything like Break Me Down. Honestly they don't have anything in their category that sounds like this song.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

It's the tone of Myles' voice. More glam metal/rock n roll sounding vocals (Wicked Stone, Avalon) than the heavier, more brooding hard rock sound (White Knuckles, Isolation). Sounds like a Conspirators chorus.

Some of the riffing does sound like Tremonti, a little like Take You With Me but a little heavier.

This all being said, I'm digging it more with every listen. I love that Alter Bridge are still pushing themselves creatively.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I mean there is nothing wrong with listening to something 4-5 times and found that on the 4th try, it finally clicks. Sometimes, there are things that people didn't notice that perks their ears on the first few tries, but on the 4th or 5th time, the song finally makes sense to the listener. I think that's the case for a few people that listened to AB III that didn't like it and then years later after hearing it again, rate it a fine album (I know that was the case for me).

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

For sure digging it more with more listens. Love the verses and I can see the complaints on the chorus. Definitely agree with AB23 about it sounding the cleanest and easiest to hear and digest. Not as much going on. But for sure a grower.

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

First impressions:
The production is much cleaner
I love intro riff
new retro vibe for AB
I love Myles voice on verses
I wish there was a longer pause before the chorus drops
Bridge sounds very 80s/ slash
Solo is buried too much
I like the lyrics

I need to listen more before I can place it

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
Ubik wrote:
Oh.
It doesn't sound anything like Break Me Down. Honestly they don't have anything in their category that sounds like this song.
No, not really. I looked through all their songs and that was the only one I could possibly mention. They both give off a similar vibe to me.
Last edited by Arctic on Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.