AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by WaywardOne »

Marshall wrote:Godspeed:
"Farewell, Goddspeed, goodbye, you have lived and you have changed all our lives."

Clear Horizon:
"If I die tonight, would the questions still remain? Did I live for what was right? Did I live this life in vain?"

Walking On The Sky:
"If you fall at least you tried, as you tremble from the wire."

Dying Light:
"Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear. In the dying light we can begin to live again."
Of course he stuck "still remains" in another song :lol . For real though, the rest of those lyrics sound so cool, cant wait to hear them!

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

AB4Lyfe wrote:Definitely encouraging that their list of best songs does NOT include the pre-release tracks.
That's exactly what I thought when I read it. In The Deep (one of the songs mentioned on the best of list) will be the final single as well.

On a different note, I'm really hoping the break from now until the Walk the Sky tour gives Myles enough time to fully rest his voice. It's not been mentioned too much here, but I thought his vocals on the latest Slash tour were lackluster compared to 2018. Very thin, missing high notes etc.
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

peapod0609
Bought The CDs

Post by peapod0609 »

RevenantGB wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:Definitely encouraging that their list of best songs does NOT include the pre-release tracks.
That's exactly what I thought when I read it. In The Deep (one of the songs mentioned on the best of list) will be the final single as well.

On a different note, I'm really hoping the break from now until the Walk the Sky tour gives Myles enough time to fully rest his voice. It's not been mentioned too much here, but I thought his vocals on the latest Slash tour were lackluster compared to 2018. Very thin, missing high notes etc.
It's also encouraging maybe and interesting that the "epic" closing track wasn't listed as one of the best songs.

I find it odd though that the band said there are no ballads on this album. The review (plus the lyrics) really make Godspeed sound kind of like a ballad.

I think Mark said that song is "different then anything he's ever done" and that people are going to be surprised that he wrote it.

Can't wait to hear it!

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Still, lyrically, Godspeed sounds like it's yet another song about losing someone. How many of those can they write?

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

chtimixeur wrote:Still, lyrically, Godspeed sounds like it's yet another song about losing someone. How many of those can they write?
Well seeing as how each song is about a different person they have lost, I would say many more depending on how many people important to them die in their lifetime.

MrsPog
Bought The CDs

Post by MrsPog »

RevenantGB wrote:

He sounded great when I saw Slash but that was back in February. It looked a long tour and I agree, hope he can rest those pipes for AB.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

WHOOOOOO reviews time, I'm excited

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
poshisjarker wrote:Listened to a lot of early Creed the other day and i enjoy it so much more than the recent AB stuff just cause i love the production on MOP and HC.
I could go on and on and on about this, but in short, hell yeah. MOP and HC both have that dynamic kick that all the later AB stuff lacks.

I don't know if Tobias Forge actually produces all of Ghost's work himself or someone else works with him, but I'd love to hear whoever worked on Meliora and Prequelle do an AB album.
I agree. Those 2 albums are so well mixed.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

RevenantGB wrote:

I saw Myles/Slash this year and i promise you Myles was far from lackluster and he was smashing those high's

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

UninvitedZero wrote:
BSC wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:Although this place leans more on the side of a troll group than a fandom. Not saying you have to praise everything but man is it possible for any positivity here i mean gee whiz.
I like how in one sentence you insult the entire forum, but you ask for more positivity in the next sentence.

I've stayed quiet and not commented on the three new songs, just because I don't have much to say about them. I'm trying follow the 'if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all' saying. However, there is so much good sounding new music out there right now - Opeth, Tool, Clutch, Big Wreck, Steel Panther and The Darkness (to mention a few) have all released new songs within the past few weeks and they sound absolutely great. I find the new songs from those bands to be much more pleasant on the ears.

The first I do when listening to Wouldn't You Rather is turn down my speakers. The first time I actually wanted to back and listen to the song again was when I heard Myles play it acoustically in that Loudwire video and I was impressed at how good it sounded.

I know I've done a bad job of following the 'if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all' saying in this post.
Fucking Clutch! :headbang

...That is all...

You have all proved my point lol, carry on

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

LosingPatience wrote:You have all proved my point lol, carry on
You're still one to talk, my guy. I (and others) have provided you bit after bit of substance regarding questions you've had and statements you've made, and you've ignored them outright or selectively danced around parts.

BSC is not being negative in his post. If that's what you got out of it, you have misread. He is not speaking highly of the mix, but he is not sending some sort of blatant trollism like he's only here to bash and will have nothing of value to add to it. What he said makes perfect sense, and he threw good light on the acoustic track as well.

Alter Bridge will get our honesty, no less and no more. This forum shouldn't be designed to play kiss-ass to them unless they are right in front of our faces.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I mean in light of the issues people have with production, we are still above all else excited to hear Walk the Sky. We are not negative all the time and we are rooting for the band to do succeed in their careers as Alter Bridge. That stated, if people think the album sounds like ass, that's their valid opinion and it should be addressed and they should have that outlet to voice it out without being called trolls or always negative people. I admit that it sometimes that it is fatiguing to read these posts on and on again, but then again, if people keep addressing it, then there has to be a problem that needs to be addressed. I personally think the songs so far are tolerable when it comes to the sound but that's mainly because I'm not looking at certain aspects of the mix that other people are looking at, primary because I personally don't care about that kind of stuff and would rather address more on the composition and the musicianship.

Of course, if the mix is horrifyingly sounds like ass and it needs to be addressed and I've been tolerant about the approaches to mixing until The Last Hero, no amount of killer songs and solid songwriting can overcome the bad mix. Quite frankly, for a band that's long as they have been, they shouldn't have to have any "obstacles" to overcome when it comes to recording their music. The other aspects of the business side of things...... Well that's a different topic, they need to overcome a lot of obstacles that's mostly not self-warranted.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

anguyen92 wrote:I mean in light of the issues people have with production, we are still above all else excited to hear Walk the Sky. We are not negative all the time and we are rooting for the band to do succeed in their careers as Alter Bridge. That stated, if people think the album sounds like ass, that's their valid opinion and it should be addressed and they should have that outlet to voice it out without being called trolls or always negative people. I admit that it sometimes that it is fatiguing to read these posts on and on again, but then again, if people keep addressing it, then there has to be a problem that needs to be addressed. I personally think the songs so far are tolerable when it comes to the sound but that's mainly because I'm not looking at certain aspects of the mix that other people are looking at, primary because I personally don't care about that kind of stuff and would rather address more on the composition and the musicianship.

Of course, if the mix is horrifyingly sounds like ass and it needs to be addressed and I've been tolerant about the approaches to mixing until The Last Hero, no amount of killer songs and solid songwriting can overcome the bad mix. Quite frankly, for a band that's long as they have been, they shouldn't have to have any "obstacles" to overcome when it comes to recording their music. The other aspects of the business side of things...... Well that's a different topic, they need to overcome a lot of obstacles that's mostly not self-warranted.

I dont have issues with TLH mix nor do my friends who have the album. I will agree its not as good as Blackbird, One Day Remains but hardly so bad its not listenable. Want to hear an actually bad mixed album there is always Metallica's St Anger and Death Magnetic also try Van Halen III thats what a horrible mix sounds like . Also i checked out Breaking Benjamin and their supposed great mixes and my only take away is what the hell. That is what a great mix sounds like ? Pffft ok then. We're obviously all different on this i dont speak for everybody just as you guys do not. Lets be honest though this forum is 90% negative i mean the only other forum im on the Van Halen one is more positive than this hole. They actually have reasons to be pissed as fans compared to AB fans who get regular material from both AB as a band and their solo projects.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right. I have nothing more to say about this matter. If you don’t like this forum and the way we posts, which for the most part is pretty darn rational and articulate, then just leave. Go join an AB Facebook group or something. They may have that positive vibe you are looking for.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Let’s be honest ?
As in “honest” defined by you ?
The most negative way to so-called support a band is to be unconditionally positive towards that band no matter what they produce. Not giving them a reason to reflect upon what they produce is in no way helping them.
So let’s be honest that the music they produced over the last 4 years is nowhere near the quality they are capable of. So basically you are the one of the most negative contributors here, praising their worst work since their start no matter how unreal it sounds.
No discussion about taste though, to each his own ; it’s just annoying hearing you calling out everybody with fair critisism as negative when you appear to be so negative yourself.
Still hoping for a nice album coming up, holding on to a straw beceause in the only recent review the last 3 songs fortunally were not mentioned as highlights of the upcoming album. I hope in the end I can share that opinion. I really hope so.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

- BAND DROPS NEW ALBUM
- GENERIC FAN: OMG BEST ALBUM EVER xD !!!

Not me, not many of us, and this has nothing to do with 'the more you critize the better fan you are', two absolute different things.

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

Blackbirddd wrote:- BAND DROPS NEW ALBUM
- GENERIC FAN: OMG BEST ALBUM EVER xD !!!
You forget the heart. Generic fan always puts a "heart" at the end of a post like that.

peapod0609
Bought The CDs

Post by peapod0609 »

Honestly, I know this is a huge topic on these boards but I think the production issues are a bit overstated here.

I don't have a great ear for things like a mix, but I notice some things. I do notice how their earlier work it was much easier to pick out the individual instruments without the whole "wall of noise thing." I've never noticed any "harshness" or "clipping" to the point of not being able to listen to a song or album the whole way through. I've never noticed that whatsoever, personally and have no problem listening to the songs like that.

I hate the wall of noise and I hate that I couldn't hear Mark's backing vocals on the last album at all. But I don't get some of the other stuff that I mentioned above. Honestly, while I can see that the mix has not been good lately, I do think some people on here are exaggerating a bit.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with voicing criticisms or the band, it doesn't mean you don't like or even love the band, still. People that don't have as many criticisms are not lesser fans, either though. I think that's ridiculous. Yes, I get the generic fans that blindly love anything a band puts out and all, but music is so subjective. I don't like calling people less of fans because maybe they don't look at things as deeply or as critically as others.

RikJohannsen
Bought The CDs

Post by RikJohannsen »

Really well spoken!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

At the end of it all, we all need to be mindful of rule #4 on this forum and ensure that we can present posts in a way that doesn't belittle a poster or the forum as a whole.
4. Whilst we understand that some topics may be heated and some issues controversial, we require everybody to discuss those issues with respect both for the topic and for other people. Their rights and sensitivities are equally as important as yours, just the same as their responsibilities are the same as yours. There is no problem with people having a negative point of view towards any issue, but we ask those issues to be debated with respect so that a genuine conversation can be had rather than resorting to childishness.

On this matter, we feel that if you disagree with somebody’s point of view, then say so. But it is to be done in a way which encourages a healthy conversation, like “Well, I disagree with you because (insert reasons)”. This makes the same point as saying “well that’s pretty stupid, dumbass, we all know that (insert reasons)”, but it makes the point without breaking rules. There are always words which can be found to make points as strongly as using insults without resorting to breaking the rules.