AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Kreuger
White Knuckled

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by Kreuger »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
Kreuger wrote:The opening couple of lines (of lyrics) in Take the Crown remind me of TMF4 for some reason.
Because for a few seconds, Myles actually used his low range. :lol
I think it's more of the tone.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Kreuger wrote:
Jaded Rescue wrote:
Kreuger wrote:The opening couple of lines (of lyrics) in Take the Crown remind me of TMF4 for some reason.

Absolutely the tone,and he hasnt really gone too high in any of the 3 released songs accept for that verse in WYR which is used brilliantly to effect anyway.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Yeah. I'm a little disappointed that there's nothing too high so far, however I love his lower range and want more of that too. And I think he's getting to a point where the higher notes are going to start decreasing. It's harder with age.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

GazEd
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by GazEd »

I have no clue where to post it, but be it here.

Yesterday Pay No Mind premierred at the biggest radio station in Russia the moment I left the office - the primest of prime times.
I saw lation
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013
Helsingin Jäähalli, Helsinki, 14 November 2019

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

That's cool man! Have they ever performed in Russia?

GazEd
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by GazEd »

Sure not. I talked to several local promoters during the last 10 years. EVeryone said they were too expensive to book. On another hand, the first time I saw Myles on stage was a Slash gig in my hometown. So you never know.
I saw lation

GazEd
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by GazEd »

If they ever played in Russia, there would for sure have been more than 1 gig stated in my signature.
I saw lation

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

GazEd wrote:EVeryone said they were too expensive to book.
Too expensive to book? Wow. Here in the states, they play to around 1,500 people per city at like $40-$50 total for all GA and I say in comparison to other named bands, that's on the cheaper side of what the arena active rock bands are charging for their GA tickets.

How far is the popular areas of Russia compared to the nearest city in Europe that AB is playing? Does that factor in the price to book?

GazEd
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by GazEd »

I dunno really, but St Petersburg is only about 600 km from Helsinki. Moscow, the capital, is farther away, but it is huge.

As an example I can recall an actual teaser that Chris Cornell was coming to Moscow. And in 3 days it was cancelled because the management was not happy with the ticket sales. They decided to have a third gig in Copenhagen (I think) instead and it sold-out in about an hour.

When in Russia people started gathering money for the tickets. They were amazingly expensive.

And another story. A Prophets Of Rage gig was announced a year or two ago. And they cancelled it in a month because not a single ticket was sold.

So there are several dificulties for a band to come to Russia. At the same time Rammstein had 2 sold-out gigs in 2 cities. One was about 100 000 people, another - 60 000. Not to compare them with AB but you know.
I saw lation

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

LosingPatience wrote:
Kreuger wrote:
Jaded Rescue wrote:

Absolutely the tone,and he hasnt really gone too high in any of the 3 released songs accept for that verse in WYR which is used brilliantly to effect anyway.
Yeah good point, it's that breathy sound in his low range that does it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I can say, all three of these tuned pass the jogging test. Three miles yesterday with them on repeat.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

I like the use of the lower tones in the new songs (TLH was a bit nasaly for much of the album) but we are missing some of those incredible highs. I like songs that include a wide range that go from the low to the high (Broken wings)

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

That was his consistent sound throughout ODR, which was written prior to his arrival. That album is the best his voice has ever sounded, including on MF4, imo. I mean it's cool to see his wide range, but the types of songs that he was maintaining this power in were much more difficult than the pace from the MF4 era. That's what I miss.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

God, if you hear any song of Fortress and then you hear any of the three songs of WTS, you can't imagine how it's possible that the same people produced/mixed those two albums because the difference is huge. It really bothers me.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Blackbirddd wrote:God, if you hear any song of Fortress and then you hear any of the three songs of WTS, you can't imagine how it's possible that the same people produced/mixed those two albums because the difference is huge. It really bothers me.

Whats the difference, seriously im not hearing it

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

TheEndisHere wrote:I like the use of the lower tones in the new songs (TLH was a bit nasaly for much of the album) but we are missing some of those incredible highs. I like songs that include a wide range that go from the low to the high (Broken wings)

Technically its not nasal its twang but i know what you mean

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

LosingPatience wrote:
Blackbirddd wrote:God, if you hear any song of Fortress and then you hear any of the three songs of WTS, you can't imagine how it's possible that the same people produced/mixed those two albums because the difference is huge. It really bothers me.

This is hard to answer since some of us already have before, like my post here and the post above mine who actually quoted you.

Now this isn't a knock and I'm not playing an assumption or anything, but the more inferior the audio quality is, the less you'll be able to distinguish differences. But honestly, any basic car audio speakers will do... just a phone or laptop might not have anything jump out.

They clearly have a different sound from ODR/BB to AB III, and I'd say they improved in Fortress to the point there's nothing really to gripe about but you can tell they've lost the Myles showcase that the first two albums had, and then TLH literally just decided to change everything. Mix, arrangements, layers, complexity... there just might not be any going back.

I'll reserve judgment on this album because I haven't heard the songs (I have heard WYR twice but improperly through laptop speakers), though based on what everyone else is saying, all hope is gone.

And if you're still not sure and need some immediacy, if you have the deluxe TLH album with Breathe on it, go ahead and listen to the whole album from Show Me A Leader to Last of Our Kind/Symphony of Agony, then go ahead and let Breathe play. It is from their ODR days, but uhh... nothing is the same, nothing at all. If you're just talking about from Fortress, it'll be less obvious, but it's there. Everything is harsh sounding in TLH, even with the clean guitars picking on songs like My Champion and You Will Be Remembered, and in Myles' voice in general.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:

This is hard to answer since some of us already have before, like my post here and the post above mine who actually quoted you.

Now this isn't a knock and I'm not playing an assumption or anything, but the more inferior the audio quality is, the less you'll be able to distinguish differences. But honestly, any basic car audio speakers will do... just a phone or laptop might not have anything jump out.

They clearly have a different sound from ODR/BB to AB III, and I'd say they improved in Fortress to the point there's nothing really to gripe about but you can tell they've lost the Myles showcase that the first two albums had, and then TLH literally just decided to change everything. Mix, arrangements, layers, complexity... there just might not be any going back.

I'll reserve judgment on this album because I haven't heard the songs (I have heard WYR twice but improperly through laptop speakers), though based on what everyone else is saying, all hope is gone.

And if you're still not sure and need some immediacy, if you have the deluxe TLH album with Breathe on it, go ahead and listen to the whole album from Show Me A Leader to Last of Our Kind/Symphony of Agony, then go ahead and let Breathe play. It is from their ODR days, but
uhh... nothing is the same, nothing at all. If you're just talking about from Fortress, it'll be less obvious, but it's there. Everything is harsh sounding in TLH, even with the clean guitars picking on songs like My Champion and You Will Be Remembered, and in Myles' voice in general.

Not sure Breathe is a great example since that was from ODR era and that album sounds miles different than Fortress even, so obviously it aint going to sound similar to TLH

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:
fix wrote:We like to blame Elvis, but I don’t think he’s the only one to blame if you don’t like how the album sounds. It’s very possible to have a better sounding album and keep all the layering and ‘producer input’. I think it has to do with everything, from the gear used all the way to mastering. I do think Elvis gets the most out of the guys, I mean he’s directly possible for songs like The Other Side and Wouldn’t You Rather as we now know (say what you want but that WYR riff is tasty), and who knows what else.
I’m not a producer or audio engineer nor do I know anything from how they record their albums, so maybe my opinion is invalid. But I wish the songs - which I like very much - would sound a bit different.

That being said, I like the songs and will like the album probably nonetheless. :)

Whats fascinating is Elvis did the last Tremonti,Slash and Myles album as far as im aware no issues with the mixing. Why is it an issue for AB thats weird. Just came back from work where in my car i have an AB mixed Cd that plays all their albums. To my ears going from Fortress to TLH sounds the same. So my question, whats the big difference in mixing between those 2 albums ? My ear doesnt notice the difference.
The elephant in the room, and to put is bluntly, is that AB just don't know what sounds good on a studio recording. This is common in rock and metal. Guys who are crazy talented on their instruments but don't know the first thing about making an album sound good (see: Metallica's Death Magnetic for a perfect example).

Didnt Elvis produce Blackbird and Fortress which is revered for its production ?

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

LosingPatience wrote:
Jaded Rescue wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:
fix wrote:We like to blame Elvis, but I don’t think he’s the only one to blame if you don’t like how the album sounds. It’s very possible to have a better sounding album and keep all the layering and ‘producer input’. I think it has to do with everything, from the gear used all the way to mastering. I do think Elvis gets the most out of the guys, I mean he’s directly possible for songs like The Other Side and Wouldn’t You Rather as we now know (say what you want but that WYR riff is tasty), and who knows what else.
I’m not a producer or audio engineer nor do I know anything from how they record their albums, so maybe my opinion is invalid. But I wish the songs - which I like very much - would sound a bit different.

That being said, I like the songs and will like the album probably nonetheless. :)

Whats fascinating is Elvis did the last Tremonti,Slash and Myles album as far as im aware no issues with the mixing. Why is it an issue for AB thats weird. Just came back from work where in my car i have an AB mixed Cd that plays all their albums. To my ears going from Fortress to TLH sounds the same. So my question, whats the big difference in mixing between those 2 albums ? My ear doesnt notice the difference.
The elephant in the room, and to put is bluntly, is that AB just don't know what sounds good on a studio recording. This is common in rock and metal. Guys who are crazy talented on their instruments but don't know the first thing about making an album sound good (see: Metallica's Death Magnetic for a perfect example).

Didnt Elvis produce Blackbird and Fortress which is revered for its production ?
He did, but I wouldn’t call them revered. It’s more like seeing Star Wars Episode III after the first two. You’ll take what you can get. Speaking for myself, at least.