AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by LosingPatience »

Ubik wrote:
Blackbirddd wrote:
Love it. Myles does some bluesy noodling, MT goes straight for the gallops. Even something for the Creed fans in there.

Surprised Myles didn't go for Jeff's Tele though, maybe it's too iconic for him.

Yeah this was fantastic must watch for fans

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Only had the chance to hear it a couple of times, but what I am loving are some of the new musical elements.

I have enjoyed all three. No worries here.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

peapod0609
Bought The CDs

Post by peapod0609 »

TheEndisHere wrote:The problem with not releasing the best tracks as singles is that singles are what most people will be exposed to. I think part of the reason AB doesn't get the status they rightly deserve is that so many of the most amazing tracks aren't the ones promoted before an album comes out. Imagine if Blackbird and White Knuckles were the singles from Blackbird instead of Rise Today
I've had this conversation before and I really disagree. At least when it comes to longer epics.

Radio always chops up and totally ruins any modern rock song over even 5 minutes in length. I don't even want to know how bad the radio edit of a song the length of Blackbird would be.

There are exceptions to the rule, but Alter Bridge is not nearly big enough to be one of them. They're likely in the "we'll play this edited version of this song and if you don't like it, we won't play it at all" category.

They aren't Metallica or something. I've heard radio versions of Cry of Achilles and I swear they removed every good thing about the song to cut the length down, and what good does that do the band?

I don't mind having "better" songs as singles, but you really shouldn't try to push lengthy songs to radio because they'll just get ruined.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

peapod0609 wrote:
TheEndisHere wrote:The problem with not releasing the best tracks as singles is that singles are what most people will be exposed to. I think part of the reason AB doesn't get the status they rightly deserve is that so many of the most amazing tracks aren't the ones promoted before an album comes out. Imagine if Blackbird and White Knuckles were the singles from Blackbird instead of Rise Today
I've had this conversation before and I really disagree. At least when it comes to longer epics.

Radio always chops up and totally ruins any modern rock song over even 5 minutes in length.
I don't even want to know how bad the radio edit of a song the length of Blackbird would be.

There are exceptions to the rule, but Alter Bridge is not nearly big enough to be one of them. They're likely in the "we'll play this edited version of this song and if you don't like it, we won't play it at all" category.

They aren't Metallica or something. I've heard radio versions of Cry of Achilles and I swear they removed every good thing about the song to cut the length down, and what good does that do the band?

I don't mind having "better" songs as singles, but you really shouldn't try to push lengthy songs to radio because they'll just get ruined.
Right? I remember when Hinder's Lips of An Angel was on the radio and they chopped that song to hell. Particularly the solo. Song is only 4:20 is the crazy thing.

peapod0609
Bought The CDs

Post by peapod0609 »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
peapod0609 wrote:

Radio always chops up and totally ruins any modern rock song over even 5 minutes in length.
I don't even want to know how bad the radio edit of a song the length of Blackbird would be.

Right? I remember when Hinder's Lips of An Angel was on the radio and they chopped that song to hell. Particularly the solo. Song is only 4:20 is the crazy thing.
Madden NFL 2005 had Open Your Eyes on the soundtrack, and they literally skipped about half the song. It's so bad...I bet they would remove the intro and parts of the bridge, solo, and/or outro to make something like Blackbird shorter and easily digestible for radio.

And at that point it is barely even a special song anymore. Why release it as a single if the parts that make it sound special are just going to get cut?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Mr. Slash wrote:
Marshall wrote:NOW: Alter Bridge - Live at STAR FM 87.9 Maximum Rock!
(kitchen concert)

They will play 3 - 5 songs acoustically.

Link:
https://berlin.starfm.de/player/berlin/
When exactly?

Edit: Ah, apparently is was not streamed. But they just finished and the people who attended this kitchen concert gave a few statements about how great it was and how likeable Mark and Myles are.
Aiiiii, was at work when this happens, does this site have it stored somewhere to replay?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

This "the singles are always the worst songs on the album" argument just doesn't work for me. Just look at the first three singles from the first four records (according to Wikipedia):

-Open Your Eyes
-Find The Real
-Broken Wings
-Rise Today
-Watch Over You
-Ties That Bind
-Isolation
-I Know It Hurts
-Ghost Of Days Gone By
-Addicted To Pain
-Cry Of Achilles
-Waters Rising

With the exception of one or maybe two songs these are all fantastic. If I'd make a top 20 list of all AB songs, many of these songs would be on it.

The thing that "single AB" and "epic AB" have in common are great melodies and great passion. Both of these are sometimes missing on the new songs for me.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

Singles =/= Songs pre-released btw, I think the proper way to see it it's that the pre-released songs are never their bests songs in any case, but we all know that.

GazEd
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by GazEd »

Arctic wrote:Dude why the fuck are there Stapp fanboys in here lmao.
Take the clown!
I saw lation
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013
Helsingin Jäähalli, Helsinki, 14 November 2019

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Timotheus wrote:This "the singles are always the worst songs on the album" argument just doesn't work for me. Just look at the first three singles from the first four records (according to Wikipedia):

-Open Your Eyes
-Find The Real
-Broken Wings
-Rise Today
-Watch Over You
-Ties That Bind
-Isolation
-I Know It Hurts
-Ghost Of Days Gone By
-Addicted To Pain
-Cry Of Achilles
-Waters Rising

With the exception of one or maybe two songs these are all fantastic. If I'd make a top 20 list of all AB songs, many of these songs would be on it.

The thing that "single AB" and "epic AB" have in common are great melodies and great passion. Both of these are sometimes missing on the new songs for me.

Rise Today is more a radio song than the 3 released songs so far and arguably their weakest. Take The Crown >>>>>>Rise Today

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Like I said: with the exception of one or two songs.

But I don't think Rise Today is their weakest single. It's a well-constructed song that's well-suited for the (gasp) radio. Don't see what's wrong with that. I prefer it to any of the singles from the last two albums, besides maaaybe Pay No Mind.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Thomz87
Bought The CDs

Post by Thomz87 »

Timotheus wrote:This "the singles are always the worst songs on the album" argument just doesn't work for me. Just look at the first three singles from the first four records (according to Wikipedia):

-Open Your Eyes
-Find The Real
-Broken Wings
-Rise Today
-Watch Over You
-Ties That Bind
-Isolation
-I Know It Hurts
-Ghost Of Days Gone By
-Addicted To Pain
-Cry Of Achilles
-Waters Rising

I don't know about that. I'm not really a fan of Find The Real, Rise Today, Isolation, I Know It Hurts, Addicted To Pain. But of course these are still very good songs, and isn't it cool that we all have different kind of music tastes? :)

Regarding the new 3 Songs, I love everyone of them. I am a little bit stunned that they are so different to each other, I don't know exactly what to expect from the new album, but I know I will like every song :D
So far, I like Take The Crown the most.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Isolation is probably their strongest and most successful single. Punches you right in your face and keeps you entertained until the end. They haven't had anything like that ever since.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Timotheus wrote:This "the singles are always the worst songs on the album" argument just doesn't work for me.
Well, now you're just putting words in my mouth. All I said is there have always been better songs on an album than the singles. Open Your Eyes is a top ODR contender though, alongside Cry of Achilles for Fortress. Part of the point is that you generally won't see a single breaking the mold; it'll be rather formulaic, catchy, and mainstream/accessible for others to jump in. CoA though, again, goes against that notion a little bit.

As a general rule though, I prefer when bands don't release singles that also happen to be:

1) Their album opener.
2) Their album closer.
3) Their title track.
4) Their "best" song.

Sometimes, these songs all bleed in as the same (like #2-4 could all represent the same song), but in that case I'm still hoping that they really reserve that for someone to seep into as they get it and go along the journey until it blindsides them with greatness. That's just me, though.

This kind of applies to movies and their trailers, as well. I don't want the trailer to reveal the first or last scenes (clearly not the last), parts of their "best" scene/moment, or something that is a bit of a title revelation (if such thing exists). Like in Point Break, I don't want the trailer to give away the breaking point... lol.

Such a notion lets you know that there is still something for you to be hungry for as you're listening to the album/watching the movie/absorbing the medium for which it plays on, in full. Teases along the way are fine, but do enough just to attract people to keep on the keeping on. If all your best songs are revealed and they're ordered in such a way that you've heard the first and last songs, then the middle is just an obstacle of a journey to get from that excellent first track to its bookend without any such grand stoppage in between... unless you've already heard them, of course.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Th read

Post by Ubik »

I've preferred what I've heard so far on this album to TLH pre release tracks, I'd probably even rate Take The Crown at the level of Addicted to Pain. My hopes have raised.
For all of the hope that it brings...

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Th read

Post by LosingPatience »

Ubik wrote:I've preferred what I've heard so far on this album to TLH pre release tracks, I'd probably even rate Take The Crown at the level of Addicted to Pain. My hopes have raised.

I would agree this is on about that level imo

JGremore
TABN.com Citizen

Post by JGremore »

Is pay no mind actually a single? Obviously, its a pre-release but are they labeling it as a single? Poison was a pre-release and I believe was played live under 5 times. I don't see how a "single" gets played very little. I don't think it was ever labeled as a single. TTC has a lyric video so I view that as an acutal single compared to Pay No Mind. I don't know, I could be wrong.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

JGremore wrote:Is pay no mind actually a single? Obviously, its a pre-release but are they labeling it as a single? Poison was a pre-release and I believe was played live under 5 times. I don't see how a "single" gets played very little. I don't think it was ever labeled as a single. TTC has a lyric video so I view that as an acutal single compared to Pay No Mind. I don't know, I could be wrong.
Well, when Alter Bridge did their listening party for TLH, they had a little checkbox survey for what every song might be able to be labeled/considered as while the audience heard them. Among them were items such as single, live, and epic.

So it's entirely possibly that Poison was voted on as a single, but not a live performer. Honestly, I would've marked those the other way around if I had the choice.

JGremore
TABN.com Citizen

Post by JGremore »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
JGremore wrote:Is pay no mind actually a single? Obviously, its a pre-release but are they labeling it as a single? Poison was a pre-release and I believe was played live under 5 times. I don't see how a "single" gets played very little. I don't think it was ever labeled as a single. TTC has a lyric video so I view that as an acutal single compared to Pay No Mind. I don't know, I could be wrong.
Well, when Alter Bridge did their listening party for TLH, they had a little checkbox survey for what every song might be able to be labeled/considered as while the audience heard them. Among them were items such as single, live, and epic.

So it's entirely possibly that Poison was voted on as a single, but not a live performer. Honestly, I would've marked those the other way around if I had the choice.
Agree! I think its a great song live (few times they played it) and would be a great opener rotating with WOTW during the last tour. I never heard it on the radio either, only SMAL and MC. Doub't I'll hear PNM on the radio but I can see TTC being on Octane. Guess we'll see soon enough.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

JGremore wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:

Agree! I think its a great song live (few times they played it) and would be a great opener rotating with WOTW during the last tour. I never heard it on the radio either, only SMAL and MC. Doub't I'll hear PNM on the radio but I can see TTC being on Octane. Guess we'll see soon enough.

Ive loved the live takes of Poison which i always liked anyway but i feel AB did themselves a disservice by not playing more of TLH live. Amazing how a live take can change an opinion on a song i know many songs have swayed me this way. The fact they never played Losing Patience live kills me, that bridge alone would have been epic lve