AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by Ubik »

As a film nerd, it's grating for me to continually see AB likened to shit films :lol
For all of the hope that it brings...

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

Love or hate their new songs, but this video is definitely going to bring a smile to your faces.
As for the album related content, an interesting tidbit about the making of Wouldn't You Rather is there and Pay No Mind riff is played acoustically. To be honest, I couldn't figure out the second half of the riff. Didn't seem that it's being played like that in the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUMiXND_skg

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

Pay No Mind sounds cool on an acoustic.

Smoke On The Water in Drop D though... Why, Mark? :lol :mtrocks

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Like or dislike the new songs !?
All OK, that’s personal after all.
For me the feeling rises they can do so much better than the last album and two songs.
They did it before.
So why not anymore ?
What happened ?
Developing new sounds and directions as a seemingly purpose at its own is not always necessary I think. Creating new jewels in the sound you build your fanbase with during 3-4 albums is not something to be ashamed of or take distance from. The old formula worked and was nowhere near exhaustion.
I would like them so hard to remain the best band in the world for me.
Hope I’m wrong, but I fear it’s not goiing to happen with this path they have chosen.
I will remain supporting this band forever. No doubt about that. But that is not the same as living through these recent years without (deserved) critisism.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

SamarthJoshi wrote:Love or hate their new songs, but this video is definitely going to bring a smile to your faces.
As for the album related content, an interesting tidbit about the making of Wouldn't You Rather is there and Pay No Mind riff is played acoustically. To be honest, I couldn't figure out the second half of the riff. Didn't seem that it's being played like that in the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUMiXND_skg
They've teased "For Those About To Rock" in concert before but they need to do a full cover. It'd sound absolutely incredible.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

The backing vocals / synths that kick in around the 3-minute mark are awesome. Mark's vocals also rule. Also interesting to have some singing over the solo.

This is my favorite of the three songs. There will be complaints about the sound again but overall I think the reaction here will be positive.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Guitar tone in the outro is TASTY.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
VigilantSteve wrote:It's more that there's a subset of this fanbase that acts as if anything that deviates from or isn't returning to those sounds is the wrong way of doing things, or is automatically "terrible". I know this isn't the case for everyone, but I've seen a fair share of people here that definitely have this attitude towards things.
I don't think your post was directed at any one person, but just to set the record straight for myself (and this isn't directed at you, personally, either). It's not that I need AB to return to the sound on ODR or Blackbird. I just want their albums to not sound like over-compressed garbage. And while art may be subjective, numbers aren't. You can scientifically show that AB's albums are a wall of noise, whether or not certain fans hear it. Mark constantly talks about making dynamic albums, and yet all of his music in the last 10 years has one volume level, and it's set to 11. (This joke is sadly furthered by all the time he's spent without a clean amp on tour)

I get that it's probably frustrating for some to hear people like me go on and on about stuff like this, but I only rant because I want to love the new material so badly, and I know this band is capable of so much better. We've heard it. Myles' voice could bring me to tears on certain songs on ODR because he actually sounded like a human I could relate to. Now, there's so much processing on his voice, it's just grating. I can't personally relate on a one-on-one level to a wall of 7 Myles Kennedys singing at me. It just sounds silly. I think I've said this before, but AB has become the Michael Bay of rock bands. I get that there's an audience for Michael Bay movies, but that doesn't mean they're good. Everything is so heightened to the point that none of it actually means everything.
This message board doesn't have a 'like' button for posts, but... yeeeeeeeeeeeaahhhhh.

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
VigilantSteve wrote:It's more that there's a subset of this fanbase that acts as if anything that deviates from or isn't returning to those sounds is the wrong way of doing things, or is automatically "terrible". I know this isn't the case for everyone, but I've seen a fair share of people here that definitely have this attitude towards things.
I don't think your post was directed at any one person, but just to set the record straight for myself (and this isn't directed at you, personally, either). It's not that I need AB to return to the sound on ODR or Blackbird. I just want their albums to not sound like over-compressed garbage. And while art may be subjective, numbers aren't. You can scientifically show that AB's albums are a wall of noise, whether or not certain fans hear it. Mark constantly talks about making dynamic albums, and yet all of his music in the last 10 years has one volume level, and it's set to 11. (This joke is sadly furthered by all the time he's spent without a clean amp on tour)

I get that it's probably frustrating for some to hear people like me go on and on about stuff like this, but I only rant because I want to love the new material so badly, and I know this band is capable of so much better. We've heard it. Myles' voice could bring me to tears on certain songs on ODR because he actually sounded like a human I could relate to. Now, there's so much processing on his voice, it's just grating. I can't personally relate on a one-on-one level to a wall of 7 Myles Kennedys singing at me. It just sounds silly. I think I've said this before, but AB has become the Michael Bay of rock bands. I get that there's an audience for Michael Bay movies, but that doesn't mean they're good. Everything is so heightened to the point that none of it actually means everything.
Dang very well put, couldn't agree more. And i hate how much i resonate with this cause i'd be super hyped for this album if the production was even ok...but instead they're cool with releasing stuff that myself or any musician i personally know would be embarrassed to put out. It's stunning and i can't understand. Lol i just wanna jam it loud in the car and love it (like you said) but holy heck it sounds worse than any other music on my device in the car stereo. AB's TLH and two new songs are right at the top. Nothing comes close. I really really really hope they don't spend the rest of their careers putting out this sound. Please, fellas. Pls. But hey they can do what they want and that's the beauty of it
Abe Lincoln- "Honey, where did you put my shirt?"

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

Cause i've had convos with many musicians and/or music lover friends about this new ab stuff while listening to it...and across the board, they've all been like "what on earth??" It's having an effect.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

poshisjarker wrote:Cause i've had convos with many musicians and/or music lover friends about this new ab stuff while listening to it...and across the board, they've all been like "what on earth??" It's having an effect.
Same here. My buddy's initial reaction was "What happened to them? Is Myles on the drugs?" :shifty

Sugar Blade
Bought The CDs

Post by Sugar Blade »

I hope that one day they will do AMA session, so we could ask them directly what is the reasoning behind their sound. I don't think that they are unaware about this issue since their manager appears here from time to time, so it would be nice to ask them directly.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

poshisjarker wrote:Cause i've had convos with many musicians and/or music lover friends about this new ab stuff while listening to it...and across the board, they've all been like "what on earth??" It's having an effect.

This is why the facepalm gif was created .... First this forum tells me i cant enjoy an album like TLH because science says its a wall of noise now professionals apparently , heavy sigh. People love Slipnot and that sounds like verbal gastro to me. If people can enjoy that garbage i can enjoy AB not even science can stop me lol

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

LosingPatience wrote:

This is why the facepalm gif was created .... First this forum tells me i cant enjoy an album like TLH because science says its a wall of noise now professionals apparently , heavy sigh. People love Slipnot and that sounds like verbal gastro to me. If people can enjoy that garbage i can enjoy AB not even science can stop me lol
I own and run a music retail store, man. Plus i have done music recording with two different producers now for myself and others. I know, through the store and a lifetime of passion for music, many many people who either do music for a living or other music buffs. I'm just sharing the truth from my personal experiences. Can't speak for anyone else...haven't read all the thread but i'm not saying you can't like the production. I'm just being honest about my views and experiences. And yes the production is objectively full of heavy compression. It just is. Whether you like it or not is up to you but it is what it is. And it's a major rift in the music community these days. Lot of ppl out there can't stand it. Some think it's good. I can't understand that because i fall on the side of let's make this sound as close to what it sounded like in the recording studio as possible

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

LosingPatience wrote:

Who said you can't enjoy it? I enjoy the album as much as anybody. Only when somebody told me that Losing Patience's opening riff sounded like a swarm of bees, I never once got that image out of my head and it ruined the rest of the song for me. :lol

(but what I picture instead is like... see the arrows going after the album guy's face? I imagine those bees all going in one direction like that with their stinger asses sticking out that way from underneath them... I'm weird lol)

TLH is objectively inferior to their earlier work in terms of dynamics and fidelity, though.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:

Who said you can't enjoy it? I enjoy the album as much as anybody. Only when somebody told me that Losing Patience's opening riff sounded like a swarm of bees, I never once got that image out of my head and it ruined the rest of the song for me. :lol

(but what I picture instead is like... see the arrows going after the album guy's face? I imagine those bees all going in one direction like that with their stinger asses sticking out that way from underneath them... I'm weird lol)

TLH is objectively inferior to their earlier work in terms of dynamics and fidelity, though.

Its your opinion and some others here that its inferior doesnt mean that it is ,and to Mr i own a music store i also am a musician with my own studio i can make my own opinions thank you very much

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

LosingPatience wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:

Its your opinion and some others here that its inferior doesnt mean that it is ,and to Mr i own a music store i also am a musician with my own studio i can make my own opinions thank you very much
Dang man, that wasn't a statement to establish superiority or attack you. I was responding to your initial comment, which clearly seems to insinuate i was making it up or being ridiculous or something. It's just simply a validation and a very solid one. Was just sharing my views initially and not instigating anything. Just a frustrated lover of these guys struggling with this new production. I never even mentioned you, my man. It's all good lol. No worries here.

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

And yes, you can make your own opinions. Absolutely. In fact, i said exactly that in my previous comment.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

LosingPatience wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:

What the hell just happened?

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

I am also wondering...