AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by LosingPatience »

Blackbirddd wrote:Pay No Mind it's still the best song yet :cheers to me.

Something is ready , to take the crown

GazEd
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by GazEd »

55 seconds ago.
AB insta.

Pay attention.

Something is coming this Thursday.
I saw lation
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013
Helsingin Jäähalli, Helsinki, 14 November 2019

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

Maybe a YouTube video of the acoustic session from Jimi's House?

peapod0609
Bought The CDs

Post by peapod0609 »

GazEd wrote:55 seconds ago.
AB insta.

Pay attention.

I would guess Take The Crown gets an official release then!

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

LosingPatience wrote:
VigilantSteve wrote:
TheEndisHere wrote:TLH had "You will be remembered", which ironically was forgettable. I was hoping for a good ballad as IMHO my favorite songs from the last SMKC and Tremonti albums were the ballads ("The One you loved is gone" & "The First The Last"). I am wondering how Mark & Myles define ballad, like do songs "Cradle to the Grave" or "Broken Wings" count, or just the "In Loving Memory", "Wonderful Life", "Life Must Go" , "All Ends Well" & "Watch over you"s?
It's one of the most forgettable songs they've written. I can't even think of what the song sounds like at the moment.

Thought it was fantastic and personally prefer it to Wonderful Life. Best things abut AB ballads is Myles usually gets his chance to shine since their songs no longer breathe anymore . So im betting he gets none of those moments on this album which is sounding worse everytime i hear something about it. Not sure if they get the fans at all
I think they get the fans just fine, it's just that some fans want something different and they're not going to please everybody, no matter what they do. Some fans are happy with the heavier direction, some like the darker subject matter of ABIII, some want them to write more 8-9 minute epics (or longer) like Blackbird, and some won't be happy until they write and record ODR part II with a producer other than Elvis all the while they proclaim how much they don't like what the band has done for the past 10 years yet still come to this forum on a daily basis. Some even want AB to stop altogether so that Creed can reform.

I personally think the songs they have released for this album are great, and I take no issue with the way they're produced. For me, with every new thing I hear about the album I get excited about the direction they're taking and am eager to hear how it's turned out...and I've been a fan since day one. I know that's not going to be the experience of all of their fans, and that's OK. I just think the band should continue going in whatever direction they want to go in (which I think they're doing) and shouldn't let whatever a vocal subsection of fans say determine what they do.

I'm sorry for the small rant, but it just gets exhausting seeing people demand the band do or don't do things in specific ways and claim that that's what the majority of the fans want and so that's how things should be done, when that's simply not true. Let them be artists and create what they will create. I wish more people would understand that it's ok for them to create something that you may not personally like, but that doesn't inherently make what they're doing wrong.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

VigilantSteve wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:
VigilantSteve wrote:
TheEndisHere wrote:TLH had "You will be remembered", which ironically was forgettable. I was hoping for a good ballad as IMHO my favorite songs from the last SMKC and Tremonti albums were the ballads ("The One you loved is gone" & "The First The Last"). I am wondering how Mark & Myles define ballad, like do songs "Cradle to the Grave" or "Broken Wings" count, or just the "In Loving Memory", "Wonderful Life", "Life Must Go" , "All Ends Well" & "Watch over you"s?
It's one of the most forgettable songs they've written. I can't even think of what the song sounds like at the moment.

Thought it was fantastic and personally prefer it to Wonderful Life. Best things abut AB ballads is Myles usually gets his chance to shine since their songs no longer breathe anymore . So im betting he gets none of those moments on this album which is sounding worse everytime i hear something about it. Not sure if they get the fans at all
I think they get the fans just fine, it's just that some fans want something different and they're not going to please everybody, no matter what they do. Some fans are happy with the heavier direction, some like the darker subject matter of ABIII, some want them to write more 8-9 minute epics (or longer) like Blackbird, and some won't be happy until they write and record ODR part II with a producer other than Elvis all the while they proclaim how much they don't like what the band has done for the past 10 years yet still come to this forum on a daily basis. Some even want AB to stop altogether so that Creed can reform.

I personally think the songs they have released for this album are great, and I take no issue with the way they're produced. For me, with every new thing I hear about the album I get excited about the direction they're taking and am eager to hear how it's turned out...and I've been a fan since day one. I know that's not going to be the experience of all of their fans, and that's OK. I just think the band should
continue going in whatever direction they want to go in (which I think they're doing) and shouldn't let whatever a vocal subsection of fans say determine what they do.

I'm sorry for the small rant, but it just gets exhausting seeing people demand the band do or don't do things in specific ways and claim that that's what the majority of the fans want and so that's how things should be done, when that's simply not true. Let them be artists and create what they will create. I wish more people would understand that it's ok for them to create something that you may not personally like, but that doesn't inherently make what they're doing wrong.

Well said, im actually happy with what ive heard just hope their is some variety

peapod0609
Bought The CDs

Post by peapod0609 »

VigilantSteve wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:
VigilantSteve wrote:

I personally think the songs they have released for this album are great, and I take no issue with the way they're produced. For me, with every new thing I hear about the album I get excited about the direction they're taking and am eager to hear how it's turned out...and I've been a fan since day one. I know that's not going to be the experience of all of their fans, and that's OK. I just think the band should continue going in whatever direction they want to go in (which I think they're doing) and shouldn't let whatever a vocal subsection of fans say determine what they do.

I also agree with this. I am definitely one of the people that wouldn't mind them going full prog and release an album with like 10 songs that are 6+ minutes each on average. An album full of epics would be awesome. I know that's unlikely, but I would love it.

That said, I do realize that the chances of this are unlikely. So I am not going to get mad at them if they don't go this route, but it is something I wish they would do!

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

GazEd wrote:55 seconds ago.
AB insta.

Pay attention.

Wait, I'm confused... Do you think they meant something is coming on Thursday? They really need to be more clear... :P

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

:lol

Are we sure it's Thursday though?

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

It's gotta be Take The Crown right? I am excited! I'm getting more and more pumped for this album as the days tick by.

I was thinking... Myles claims Walk The Sky is the yin to ABIII's yang. Not that similar musically, but look closer...

ABIII had quite a few tracks (13-14?).
Walk The Sky has got 14.
Mark and Myles are trading vocals on a track.
No long "epics" on ABIII.
No long "epics" on Walk The Sky.
Both albums end with songs just shy of 6 minutes that are still rather epic (don't make me out a liar, Dying Light!).

When I first heard Mark talk about new synth wave sounds and keyboard stuff, I was terrified.. My first thought was that they'd just throw some wobbly EDM/dubstep bass underneath the same ol' same ol' cookie cutter Sirius Octane formula like so many of my former favorite bands have in the past couple years...

I've been pleasantly surprised and I'm anxious to hear even more of it once the entire record drops. Melodic and understated and being transposed into guitar leads. Awesome. I've grown to love the synth loops I've heard on Pay No Mind (and Take The Crown is sweet, but you didn't hear it from me!).

Bring on the press and more acoustic sessions, let's kick this hype up a notch!

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

If ODR and Blackbird are your favorite albums by the band called Alter Bridge, why would you go to the Alter Bridge forum!? Shouldn’t you go to the forum for the band that recorded those albums?

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

I got excited when I read the part about waiting for ODR part 2.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

If you like ODR and Blackbird style albums the best, you couldn’t possibly like anything else the band has ever released. It’s simply impossible.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

AB23 wrote:If you like ODR and Blackbird style albums the best, you couldn’t possibly like anything else the band has ever released. It’s simply impossible.
Well, maybe for you, but for me, I enjoyed AB III, Fortress, and The Last Hero as much as ODR and Blackbird. Of course, some albums are more favorable than others, but I honestly do believe these guys have never made a bad album before and it's ok for some fans to actually have this thought and not be deemed an ignorant fanboy in the end. It is possible to have this mentally for fans that's been fans for 10+ years. It's just not the case for you. Too bad.
Last edited by anguyen92 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

I mean, I know I'm not the most eloquent of people, but that's not even remotely what I was saying or the point that I was making. It's a perfectly legitimate stance to enjoy the ODR and Blackbird albums more than the others, while still enjoying newer stuff too...I wouldn't even try to make that statement.

It's more that there's a subset of this fanbase that acts as if anything that deviates from or isn't returning to those sounds is the wrong way of doing things, or is automatically "terrible". I know this isn't the case for everyone, but I've seen a fair share of people here that definitely have this attitude towards things.
Last edited by VigilantSteve on Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

anguyen92 wrote:
AB23 wrote:If you like ODR and Blackbird style albums the best, you couldn’t possibly like anything else the band has ever released. It’s simply impossible.
Well, maybe for you, but for me, I enjoyed AB III, Fortress, and The Last Hero as much as ODR and Blackbird. Of course, some albums are more favorable than others, but I honestly do believe these guys have never made a bad album before and it's ok for some fans to actually have this thought and not be deemed an ignorant fanboy in the end. It is possible to have this mentally for fans that's been fans for 10+ years. It's just not the case for you. Too bad.
Oh Kev, you sweet man.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

I don't love any of the songs so far but I don't exactly dislike any of them either.

Interesting outro on the latest one! ;)

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

I'll have to assume this is sarcasm. If not, I'll have to question it.

I love both A7X's Unholy Confessions and Puccini's Nessun Dorma. I love Blank Space but hate Shake It Off (I can't tolerate much Taylor Swift at all, really), similar in style as they may be. I also like Myles' recent solo project and work with Slash, though I don't much care for The Mayfield Four or Tremonti.

I have to take music on a case-by-case basis, though sometimes there are artists who I will give more benefit of the doubt, such as Alter Bridge, because of what they have provided, what they have to say, their talents in saying it, and what my money can help them make in the future. If they turned a pop corner like Daughtry or the Goo Goo Dolls, like those bands I will turn away and stop supporting them until they can return to a form that I enjoy. That doesn't mean they have to return to form.

In that sense, I'd love to hear a few more Open D tuning songs again, or some with a slight bit of that Creed sound (Down To My Last and Open Your Eyes can trend toward that a little), or just simpler song arrangements and overall better mixing. If there is one thing I need them to change, it is the way their songs sound. Not how they're written, but how they're produced. I don't know if that's what you were going for with your point, but if you were then in that way I can certainly agree.

To that last point, let's put it this way: I really like the song Before Tomorrow Comes, yeah? I'm not a big fan of Mark's "waahhhahahhh" part during the chorus breaks, but they recently they found an interesting spin on playing it live where he sings it while Myles is singing his bits during the final chorus, and it got me to enjoy it so much more after that. I think they realized this and thought the same, so much so that if they were to re-record that track I think that's how they would do it. The problem is... I wouldn't want them to re-record it. I don't think they could make it sound the same as it used to because of the way they decide to record and mix their music now. It would just come off as something that is much less pleasing.

One of my favorite songs of all time is One Less Reason's A Day To Be Alone. However, they have released at least four versions of the song, and there is only one version that I absolutely love. The rest are just "meh" to me, and it completely changes the song based on how it was recorded, arranged, and mixed. Here is my favorite version, and here are 1 2 other versions where I'm just like "meh" (there is a third acoustic one that is not on YouTube).

The point is, styles can be the same and be disliked, styles can vary and be liked, bands can be supported throughout their evolution or not, and some bands can't revert to what they were even if they try and go back as much as possible. ODR 2 may be lyrically written like ODR, but it's not going to be a seamless transition by any stretch. Too many obstacles (including time) will ensure that very thing to be one of the only impossibilities we can be certain of. I hope they do the best they can if they want to try, though.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

VigilantSteve wrote:It's more that there's a subset of this fanbase that acts as if anything that deviates from or isn't returning to those sounds is the wrong way of doing things, or is automatically "terrible". I know this isn't the case for everyone, but I've seen a fair share of people here that definitely have this attitude towards things.
I don't think your post was directed at any one person, but just to set the record straight for myself (and this isn't directed at you, personally, either). It's not that I need AB to return to the sound on ODR or Blackbird. I just want their albums to not sound like over-compressed garbage. And while art may be subjective, numbers aren't. You can scientifically show that AB's albums are a wall of noise, whether or not certain fans hear it. Mark constantly talks about making dynamic albums, and yet all of his music in the last 10 years has one volume level, and it's set to 11. (This joke is sadly furthered by all the time he's spent without a clean amp on tour)

I get that it's probably frustrating for some to hear people like me go on and on about stuff like this, but I only rant because I want to love the new material so badly, and I know this band is capable of so much better. We've heard it. Myles' voice could bring me to tears on certain songs on ODR because he actually sounded like a human I could relate to. Now, there's so much processing on his voice, it's just grating. I can't personally relate on a one-on-one level to a wall of 7 Myles Kennedys singing at me. It just sounds silly. I think I've said this before, but AB has become the Michael Bay of rock bands. I get that there's an audience for Michael Bay movies, but that doesn't mean they're good. Everything is so heightened to the point that none of it actually means everything.