AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by joshuabeau »

RevenantGB wrote:Am I the only one that feels a little.. underwhelmed by the promotion of this new album? Aside from the initial comments from Mark about Walk the Sky having a "John Carpenter-esque" inspiration and Godspeed being "different from anything [I've] written before", there's been very little if not any hype surrounding the released singles or the album in general. I remember for previous album releases there were interviews, magazine articles etc, but there doesn't seem to be any for the current cycle.

it just feels awfully clinical. I'm hoping this is because there's still two months until release and that the majority of promotion is planned closer to that date, but I guess we'll have to see.

That said, I like the direction the band are taking musically.
I think that’ll all change shortly once Myles is finished touring with Slash in a few days.
Last edited by joshuabeau on Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

I agree, it will likely take the forefront once Myles is off tour with Slash

TTournier
White Knuckled

Post by TTournier »

joshuabeau wrote:
RevenantGB wrote:Am I the only one that feels a little.. underwhelmed by the promotion of this new album? Aside from the initial comments from Mark about Walk the Sky having a "John Carpenter-esque" inspiration and Godspeed being "different from anything [I've] written before", there's been very little if not any hype surrounding the released singles or the album in general. I remember for previous album releases there were interviews, magazine articles etc, but there doesn't seem to be any for the current cycle.

it just feels awfully clinical. I'm hoping this is because there's still two months until release and that the majority of promotion is planned closer to that date, but I guess we'll have to see.

I think that’ll all change shortly once Myles is finished with touring with Slash in a few days.
We do the press trip next week - just like last time, pr starts 2 months out... as always. ;)

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Maybe there hasn't been as much coverage, but I feel like the band's words about it so far make it seem like they are so much more optimistic about the turnout of this album compared to the last one.

The only downer for me so far has been that there is no 6+ minute song on it. Everything else has seemed on point otherwise.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:Maybe there hasn't been as much coverage, but I feel like the band's words about it so far make it seem like they are so much more optimistic about the turnout of this album compared to the last one.

The only downer for me so far has been that there is no 6+ minute song on it. Everything else has seemed on point otherwise.

Def a concern for me, their epics are my fav's. If we have an album full of songs like the first 2 singles this will for me the weakest album by far

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

I'm going to take this opportunity to point out that Island of Fools and Words Darker than Their Wings are both less than 6 minutes.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

So is Slip To the Void, and I consider that more of an ‘epic’ song. I think the idea that a song needs to be 6+ minutes to be epic is overrated on this board. Sure, songs like Blackbird, CoA, and Fortress are some of my favorites, but to be quite honest, the two longer songs on TLH are not on my personal favorites list. Longer isn’t always better.

peapod0609
Bought The CDs

Post by peapod0609 »

Arctic wrote:So is Slip To the Void, and I consider that more of an ‘epic’ song. I think the idea that a song needs to be 6+ minutes to be epic is overrated on this board. Sure, songs like Blackbird, CoA, and Fortress are some of my favorites, but to be quite honest, the two longer songs on TLH are not on my personal favorites list. Longer isn’t always better.
I do think those were easily the two best songs on the album though, in my opinion, with Cradle to the Grave probably being my third favorite.

Some of their best songs are long, some of them are closer to average song length.

People are definitely overreacting to song lengths though, and this is coming from someone who is very interested in the song lengths and loves lengthier songs. There are mutliple songs on the album just shy of five minutes, and two of them over five minutes, with the closer being close to 6 minutes. I'm sure it will be a fine album. Some people here are acting like the longest song is 4 minutes and half the songs are 3 minutes long lol

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

AngusWolfe wrote:I'm going to take this opportunity to point out that Island of Fools and Words Darker than Their Wings are both less than 6 minutes.
And yet, I once created a thread devoted to Island of Fools stating that I feel the song is missing a "final chorus" of sorts, and I made an audio edit putting in a final chorus that, to my delight, fills out the pacing of the song better (even though the transitions are rough and not perfect). Somebody else tried a different edit of their own, and although most here prefer exactly how it is, I have a different feeling altogether with it.

Same thing with Words. I guess you can state that there is a "second verse" before the first chorus, but then there isn't another other verse bit at all after that chorus. I always thought it cheapened the feel of what the song was trying to provide us. I get that if they don't have more words to say (esp. if they ain't darker than them wings) that they should cut the cord then and there, but I was more into the idea of getting us at least one more verse bit and then another chorus afterward, then the big break. I do like the pacing of the song as is currently, but I always sit and wonder what could have been. This all being said, I still consider Words to be an epic.

Way different example by the way and not even close to resembling what we're talking about, but Aaron Lewis (lead singer of Staind) releases some country albums these days, and in his recent album he has a song called "Love Me" that is 5:47 in duration, yet all it contains are two verses and two choruses. When the song ends, I go: "What?? No bridge?" It ends abruptly in my eyes. It could be 7+ minutes, not even be considered an epic by any sorts, and I think it would have had a much better feeling of pace and flow than it does.

Some songs just need that time, and sometimes quantity can help achieve proper quality. I would also argue there are some longer songs in AB's catalog that actually overstay their welcome, specifically in Burn It Down and Show Me A Sign. There is no reason those songs have to be the length that they are, and I really feel like I'm sweating it out after some point (especially in Burn It Down, which they say that phrase ten times in the song and it really gets to me afterward). So we'll see how it goes, but since they've joined into doing some prog. rock I'd say they got really good at doing songs that contain long duration.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

TTournier wrote:
joshuabeau wrote:

I think that’ll all change shortly once Myles is finished with touring with Slash in a few days.
We do the press trip next week - just like last time, pr starts 2 months out... as always. ;)
Yes! The diehards are getting (understandably) anxious around here, but there's no good in hyping an album 4 months before its release. Let the first single or two be the teaser and then start building the media presence up closer to the tour and release date.

Tim, could you share any info about when and where the media tour goes?
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

gbruin wrote:
TTournier wrote:
joshuabeau wrote:

Yes! The diehards are getting (understandably) anxious around here, but there's no good in hyping an album 4 months before its release. Let the first single or two be the teaser and then start building the media presence up closer to the tour and release date.

Tim, could you share any info about when and where the media tour goes?
I'll second that request. I'd love to hear at least either Mark or Myles (both or the full band would be better) on Eddie Trunk's podcast again. I enjoy the longer interviews.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

I wanna see Mark on Hot Ones.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Fish Tacos wrote:I wanna see Mark on Hot Ones.
This x 100000000.

I fucking love Seans interviewing style and watching Mark and Myles suffer through Hot wings while answering Seans great questions would be a damn dream come true.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

LosingPatience wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:Maybe there hasn't been as much coverage, but I feel like the band's words about it so far make it seem like they are so much more optimistic about the turnout of this album compared to the last one.

Def a concern for me, their epics are my fav's. If we have an album full of songs like the first 2 singles this will for me the weakest album by far
I truly regret to say I totally agree.
First two singles really disappointing for such a talented band. Not bad songs but nothing special either.
Is this the same band that got us these three treasures in a row (BB, III, Fortress) ? So what the hell happened after that ?
I will support them forever, but what happened to the quality of songwriting after Fortress ? Have they lost that touch ?
Hope they proof me wrong with the remaining 12 songs. Really hope so.
Otherwise I just have to be patient for the next Tremonti. ADM already totally outclassed TLH.
Damn, I wish I could post a totally different comment !

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

MrsPog
Bought The CDs

Post by MrsPog »

Arctic wrote:So is Slip To the Void, and I consider that more of an ‘epic’ song. I think the idea that a song needs to be 6+ minutes to be epic is overrated on this board. Sure, songs like Blackbird, CoA, and Fortress are some of my favorites, but to be quite honest, the two longer songs on TLH are not on my personal favorites list. Longer isn’t always better.
No... longer isn't always better :lol

Jaredr24
Loyal Follower

Post by Jaredr24 »

TheEndisHere wrote:https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/in ... songs.html
new interview w/ myles
A lot of good stuff in there. Figured “Dying Light” would be more of a typical epic AB song just by the name lol. Also interesting to hear what Myles said about coming up with the ideas for the album separately from Mark turned out to be a good thing. Never thought about it from that perspective that he talked about.
~{AB fan - Go Tops! #WKU}~
”I’ll rest my eyes and let the earth breathe”

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

Great interview, I will happily eat my words regarding the promotion feeling underwhelming hahaha
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Very excited for Dying Light and Native Son now. Not so much for Godspeed but I'm just not an 80's or synth guy, I'm sure others will like it.