AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by TheEndisHere »

So we can all at least agree that the song is a "rage against the machine" (a machine that benefits from indifference and division) song, even if we don't agree what that machine is or that the machine is vague

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: It's tough to be an insect around here.

Post by Andy92 »

Timotheus wrote:
Andy92 wrote:
darkstorm97 wrote:- I honestly wouldn't mind some Megadeth style "trade-off" solos between Mark and Myles.
I really don't know why they haven't done this yet. They do those guitar battles at live shows. Incorporate something like that into a song!
Thanks, guys!
Glad to have done my small part.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Lol. I remember posting that before Fortress was released. Then we got the solos in the songs Farther Than The Sun and Fortress. It's like they were reading the forums, lol.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

benjoAB
White Knuckled

Post by benjoAB »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
benjoAB wrote:Have we established if it’s mark singing the harmonises when Myles sings the pay no mind pre chorus, sounds to me like it’s both of them and also what are the lyrics on the 2nd set of pay no minds?
I can only hear Mark singing harmonies in the "when the last man falls" section of the song. Not sure if that's the same section you're referring to.

Again, not really sure which section you're referring to...Can you say a time stamp?
Yeh it’s the bit before “when the last man falls” when Myles is singing “we pay no mind” and the backing vocals are singing “weeeeee paaaaaay nooooo miiiiind at all”...this bit sounds like mark and Myles to me or Myles in a very low harmony register

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

the backing vocals in the first part of the double chorus are rather operatic - i'm pretty sure those are all myles (but i can hear mark in the second part of the chorus)

the griping about political interpretations is hilarious (they're just as valid as any other interpretation - in this case i'd argue more so)

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

peapod0609 wrote:
UninvitedZero wrote:I really like the synth intro! The keyboard melody reminds me of Rammstein. Mark's backing vocals in that chorus sound great when you can hear them. I do think a solo right after the bridge could have sent this song to another level!
I 100% agree with that.

Also, as entertaining as the political crap was, let's just drop all of that. Go to another forum or the General section or whatever.

So many people getting triggered because someone said a song COULD be about Trump. And that's a 100% true statement. It COULD be. Until the band specifically mentions what the inspiration is, who knows? Your guesses are as good as mine. Maybe it is Trump, maybe it's something completely different.

I don't personally feel like Pay No Mind is about Trump, but I do feel that Show Me A Leader for example was at least about the 2016 election as a whole.

I don't mind them occasionally talking about political things. I don't think they're ever gonna be like RATM or SOAD and mention it constantly, and that's fine. But it's a part of life whether people like it or not, and if the band feels they have something to say and can make a good song out of it, I don't care what the subject matter is!

Just my thoughts.
So is this going to be another political record? If this is the like the last one I'm probably going to drop this band. I can forgive 1 bad album, but going down that route permanently is not something I can stand. I guess the difference between SOAD and RATM vs. the Alter Bridge question is that those bands always were politically charged. I think Myles got way into politics in 2015/16 and he's still letting it affect his works.

Whether it's pro-trump or anti-trump, I still wouldn't like politically charged songs. I don't like punk music, ratm, or any of that. It's just not the type of music I like. I'm gonna buy the record, but if it's the same as TLH, it'l be my last. I think the music itself has been better so far though.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Honestly people are willing to drop a band not because of the music but because of some (really) vague and non-judge mental ‘political’ lyrics?
If you think TLH or Pay No Mind are political, then you are just projecting your own views on lyrics. Which is what you should do, since lyrics do mean different things to different people. But it says more about you then the actual lyrics/band.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Well, considering Myles has said in interviews that TLH was inspired by politics, I don't think it's that crazy to assume that's what some of the lyrics are about.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Timotheus wrote:Well, considering Myles has said in interviews that TLH was inspired by politics, I don't think it's that crazy to assume that's what some of the lyrics are about.
Yeah, but he hasn't confirmed it for Pay No Mind. Has he? Therefore, it's up to us to have our own interpretation of the song without clawing at everyone's throats.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The guy literally said TLH. Please allow us to have a conversation...

Not talking about issues is worse than getting into an argument every now and then. And I agree we should continue this conversation in the politics thread, but new members aren't going to post their interpretation of the song there.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I don't mind seeing issues being talked about here. I do feel like belittling and the name-calling (in general, not necessarily here) over certain ideas does cross the line though. People have crazy ideas and opinions about anything (myself included). I feel like we as a supposed tight-knited community should accept that this is how people think about anything and not demean them for it.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

anguyen92 wrote:I don't mind seeing issues being talked about here. I do feel like belittling and the name-calling (in general, not necessarily here) over certain ideas does cross the line though. People have crazy ideas and opinions about anything (myself included). I feel like we as a supposed tight-knited community should accept that this is how people think about anything and not demean them for it.
:yeahthat

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

anguyen92 wrote:I don't mind seeing issues being talked about here. I do feel like belittling and the name-calling (in general, not necessarily here) over certain ideas does cross the line though. People have crazy ideas and opinions about anything (myself included). I feel like we as a supposed tight-knited community should accept that this is how people think about anything and not demean them for it.
supporting trump is one thing (as awful as i think it may be) but we really lost the plot with the serious "pizzagate is real and obama is a pedophile and i have proof" post

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Agreed. All of that stuff is unnecessary, on all sides. It's just a matter of ignoring the bad and not taking it too seriously...
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

dpsmith33
Brand New Start

Post by dpsmith33 »

I think Myles definitely leans to the left. TLH was definitely political but it seemed more like frustration with our entire political system, not just an attack of one side or individual. Pay No Mind could be about Trump but Myles seems too level headed to for this song to be about Trump. What are these terrible things that have happened during his presidency that the lyrics could be attributed to? Reasonable people can see past the hyperbolic gloom and doom that has been obsessed over since Trump was elected. Pay No Mind could be about a lot of things. Could be about how we found out in about 2012 or so that the NSA was spying on all of us, that Facebook and Google sell our personal information to advertisers, or that social media silences those who disagree with their ideology like North Korea and Russia do their dissenters.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: like the mods of this forum. #zaz4mod

Post by zazthespaz »

Doesn't necessarily need to be political - could just be about putting too much faith into one person and finding they let you down.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

peapod0609
Bought The CDs

Post by peapod0609 »

nagpo wrote:
peapod0609 wrote:
UninvitedZero wrote:I really like the synth intro! The keyboard melody reminds me of Rammstein. Mark's backing vocals in that chorus sound great when you can hear them. I do think a solo right after the bridge could have sent this song to another level!
I 100% agree with that.

Also, as entertaining as the political crap was, let's just drop all of that. Go to another forum or the General section or whatever.

So many people getting triggered because someone said a song COULD be about Trump. And that's a 100% true statement. It COULD be. Until the band specifically mentions what the inspiration is, who knows? Your guesses are as good as mine. Maybe it is Trump, maybe it's something completely different.

I don't personally feel like Pay No Mind is about Trump, but I do feel that Show Me A Leader for example was at least about the 2016 election as a whole.

I don't mind them occasionally talking about political things. I don't think they're ever gonna be like RATM or SOAD and mention it constantly, and that's fine. But it's a part of life whether people like it or not, and if the band feels they have something to say and can make a good song out of it, I don't care what the subject matter is!

Just my thoughts.
So is this going to be another political record? If this is the like the last one I'm probably going to drop this band. I can forgive 1 bad album, but going down that route permanently is not something I can stand. I guess the difference between SOAD and RATM vs. the Alter Bridge question is that those bands always were politically charged. I think Myles got way into politics in 2015/16 and he's still letting it affect his works.

Whether it's pro-trump or anti-trump, I still wouldn't like politically charged songs. I don't like punk music, ratm, or any of that. It's just not the type of music I like. I'm gonna buy the record, but if it's the same as TLH, it'l be my last. I think the music itself has been better so far though.
Uh, no? This isn't going to be "another" political record because the last one wasn't political either lol.

It had two, MAYBE three songs you could argue out of 14 that are even vaguely political. Not sure how that makes it a political record whatsoever.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: like the mods of this forum. #zaz4mod

Post by Timotheus »

zazthespaz wrote:Doesn't necessarily need to be political - could just be about putting too much faith into one person and finding they let you down.
There's this "murder" line though. I think that kinda gives away it's about something bigger.

Except if Myles was inspired by a book or movie.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

peapod0609 wrote: Uh, no? This isn't going to be "another" political record because the last one wasn't political either lol.

It had two, MAYBE three songs you could argue out of 14 that are even vaguely political. Not sure how that makes it a political record whatsoever.
you're wrong. There were probably only 3 or 4 songs on that record that weren't political.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: also, cause I'm bored.

Post by zazthespaz »

Timotheus wrote:
zazthespaz wrote:Doesn't necessarily need to be political - could just be about putting too much faith into one person and finding they let you down.
There's this "murder" line though. I think that kinda gives away it's about something bigger.

Except if Myles was inspired by a book or movie.
Maybe, still could be interpreted metaphorically though. It doesn't explicitly say the subject killed a person. Playing devil's advocate for the sake of board-wide amicability. ;)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says