AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Crumbso
On The Rail

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by Crumbso »

Who knew Alter Bridge fans were so easily triggered? :lol I wouldn't worry though. I'm sure the rest of the album will be about denying stuff and setting out towards things.

Both songs are musically cool but leave vaguely impressed rather than super enthused. They're structurally a little boring but some of the new instrumentation is cool.
Last edited by Crumbso on Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Oops. double-post.

jcrowe
Brand New Start

Post by jcrowe »

On a positive note, pay no mind is pretty fun to play on guitar!

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

Alright so I’ll share my interpretation of the song or at least how I’m relating it to currently. It’s a very deliberate kind of a connection which I have formed with the song and it may not make sense, lol.

I have this friend of mine who has been brainwashed by these people into joining a Network Marketing Pyramid Scheme kind of a group. As soon as I came to know about it, I tried to get her out and she even agreed. Turns out, she lied and now she’s so much into that thing that it’s not possible to bring her out of it.

So now it’s like we try and not bring that topic while talking with her. She’s happy with her life and we’re happy with our own. Still, I wish she gets out of this at some point.

Anyways, you try and listen to this song with Pyramid schemes in mind and I’m pretty sure you will be able to make some sort of connection, lol.

peapod0609
Bought The CDs

Post by peapod0609 »

UninvitedZero wrote:I really like the synth intro! The keyboard melody reminds me of Rammstein. Mark's backing vocals in that chorus sound great when you can hear them. I do think a solo right after the bridge could have sent this song to another level!
I 100% agree with that.

Also, as entertaining as the political crap was, let's just drop all of that. Go to another forum or the General section or whatever.

So many people getting triggered because someone said a song COULD be about Trump. And that's a 100% true statement. It COULD be. Until the band specifically mentions what the inspiration is, who knows? Your guesses are as good as mine. Maybe it is Trump, maybe it's something completely different.

I don't personally feel like Pay No Mind is about Trump, but I do feel that Show Me A Leader for example was at least about the 2016 election as a whole.

I don't mind them occasionally talking about political things. I don't think they're ever gonna be like RATM or SOAD and mention it constantly, and that's fine. But it's a part of life whether people like it or not, and if the band feels they have something to say and can make a good song out of it, I don't care what the subject matter is!

Just my thoughts.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

SamarthJoshi wrote:Alright so I’ll share my interpretation of the song or at least how I’m relating it to currently. It’s a very deliberate kind of a connection which I have formed with the song and it may not make sense, lol.

I have this friend of mine who has been brainwashed by these people into joining a Network Marketing Pyramid Scheme kind of a group. As soon as I came to know about it, I tried to get her out and she even agreed. Turns out, she lied and now she’s so much into that thing that it’s not possible to bring her out of it.

So now it’s like we try and not bring that topic while talking with her. She’s happy with her life and we’re happy with our own. Still, I wish she gets out of this at some point.

Anyways, you try and listen to this song with Pyramid schemes in mind and I’m pretty sure you will be able to make some sort of connection, lol.
I can see how that fits lol. The song sounds like something happening on a grand scale to a lot of people. It reminds me of the news of mega-companies like Facebook selling personal data to get rich off of us yet we “pay no mind.” Good post. :cheers
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

The only comment in 10 pages I've dared to respond to

Post by gbruin »

Timotheus wrote:Or that he was inspired by his own ant apocalypse story.
It was a grasshopper apocalypse story. Ants? Come on, Timo...
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

As far as lyrically, being the yin to ABIII's yang, I hear similar messages in both singles. I hear the writer of "Wouldn't You Rather" (assuming Myles wrote both songs) telling his former self from ABIII how to get his shit together and move out of the darkness he was writing from in 2010. Saying yes things may not be exactly how you want them (politically or personally) but "wouldn't you rather" find a way to make it work and live your best life possible.

"Pay No Mind" sounds to me like a more harsh way to say much of the same. Playing the victim for too long, when will you step up to the plate and improve your situation, not just sitting waiting for it to happen...

I'm might be far off on Pay No Mind... But to hell with politics, man...

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: The only comment in 10 pages I've dared to respond to

Post by Ubik »

gbruin wrote: It was a grasshopper apocalypse story. Ants? Come on, Timo...
What is this... an apocalypse for ants?

Although Timo is right on Last of Our Kind. Myles just likes insect genocide.
For all of the hope that it brings...

benjoAB
White Knuckled

Post by benjoAB »

Have we established if it’s mark singing the harmonises when Myles sings the pay no mind pre chorus, sounds to me like it’s both of them and also what are the lyrics on the 2nd set of pay no minds?

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

benjoAB wrote:Have we established if it’s mark singing the harmonises when Myles sings the pay no mind pre chorus, sounds to me like it’s both of them and also what are the lyrics on the 2nd set of pay no minds?

I also want to know this, sounds amazing

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

benjoAB wrote:Have we established if it’s mark singing the harmonises when Myles sings the pay no mind pre chorus, sounds to me like it’s both of them and also what are the lyrics on the 2nd set of pay no minds?
I can only hear Mark singing harmonies in the "when the last man falls" section of the song. Not sure if that's the same section you're referring to.

Again, not really sure which section you're referring to...Can you say a time stamp?

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
I can only hear Mark singing harmonies in the "when the last man falls" section of the song. Not sure if that's the same section you're referring to.

Again, not really sure which section you're referring to...Can you say a time stamp?
Yep, hear the same

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

UninvitedZero wrote:As far as lyrically, being the yin to ABIII's yang, I hear similar messages in both singles. I hear the writer of "Wouldn't You Rather" (assuming Myles wrote both songs) telling his former self from ABIII how to get his shit together and move out of the darkness he was writing from in 2010. Saying yes things may not be exactly how you want them (politically or personally) but "wouldn't you rather" find a way to make it work and live your best life possible.

"Pay No Mind" sounds to me like a more harsh way to say much of the same. Playing the victim for too long, when will you step up to the plate and improve your situation, not just sitting waiting for it to happen...

I'm might be far off on Pay No Mind... But to hell with politics, man...
I don't see Myles talking to himself in Pay No Mind. I feel like the idea behind Pay No Mind is that we should wake up and should mind those in power and Pay Some Mind because otherwise we are abused by those in power when we are indifferent or polarized and at each others' throats. As much as people want to avoid the political discussion of the song, isn't that part of the problem that Myles is talking about the indifference because we either don't care or have been turned against one another? The attitude that we should completely ignore that discussion because it is contentious or messy only furthers the divide.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

^ It’s not that the song can’t be political. It’s just that the song could literally be about anyone that holds power in society and the masses ignore their corruption. That could be a greedy business owner, a boss that mistreats its employees, a cruddy record label...and yes, a political figure.

I don’t think politics and music should never mix. I do think it shows how contentious our society is today when a bunch of people think every negative sounding lyric is about the same single person. You could call out Mitch McConnell as easily as Trump lol.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I mean for all we know, this could very well be a song after how people are ignorant about the damages the Olympics causes to the host city after the games are over. Same could be said about the World Cup as well.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: The only comment in 10 pages I've dared to respond to

Post by Timotheus »

Ubik wrote:
gbruin wrote: It was a grasshopper apocalypse story. Ants? Come on, Timo...
What is this... an apocalypse for ants?

Although Timo is right on Last of Our Kind. Myles just likes insect genocide.
Genocide was the right word to use. I was getting my AB terminology mixed up... It can get confusing sometimes after floods, apocalypses, genocides, hyperboles and Mark's chicken addiction.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

It's tough to be an insect around here.

Post by gbruin »

Yeah, it looks like BennyWhatever coined Grasshopper Apocalypse.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126&p=5648&hilit=grasshopper#p5648

It's fun to search some of the old terms and go back and reread those threads. We've had a lot of good times around here.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: It's tough to be an insect around here.

Post by Timotheus »

gbruin wrote:Yeah, it looks like BennyWhatever coined Grasshopper Apocalypse.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126&p=5648&hilit=grasshopper#p5648

It's fun to search some of the old terms and go back and reread those threads. We've had a lot of good times around here.
I'm convinced Andy and Darkstorm are personally responsible for the dual solo in Fortress:
Andy92 wrote:
darkstorm97 wrote:- I honestly wouldn't mind some Megadeth style "trade-off" solos between Mark and Myles.
I really don't know why they haven't done this yet. They do those guitar battles at live shows. Incorporate something like that into a song!
Thanks, guys!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

Andy92 wrote: I can see how that fits lol. The song sounds like something happening on a grand scale to a lot of people. It reminds me of the news of mega-companies like Facebook selling personal data to get rich off of us yet we “pay no mind.” Good post. :cheers
Oh, right! I didn’t think of Facebook and all the data hogging mega corporations. The song does seem to give out that kind of message as well. We certainly “Pay no mind”. :cheers