AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
jcrowe
Brand New Start

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by jcrowe »

Ok thanks for the intellectual response there. I'm a doofus and you ruin AB. Congrats.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I think it's a sad state of affairs that I would rather see those wacky spam threads than the entirety of what we have read in the last couple of pages.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It's funny how KKK rallies are being defended by Trump supporters as "free speech", but this is worth getting upset about.

I agree all the name-calling is uncalled for, but god...
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Let’s cool it down with all the political, name-calling posts please. There’s a political thread somewhere in the General Discussion section if you want to discuss that stuff there.
Photobucket cash grab.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Ryan wrote:Let’s cool it down with all the political, name-calling posts please. There’s a political thread somewhere in the General Discussion section if you want to discuss that stuff there.
I think it says something along the lines of “friendly zone only” in the thread title. :lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Timotheus wrote:It's funny how KKK rallies are being defended by Trump supporters as "free speech", but this is worth getting upset about.

Enough with this type of crap please ^^^^^^^^^

scalthom
Brand New Start

Post by scalthom »

On a related note, any of you libs have an inclining that In the Deep is about Stormy Daniels?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Can we please just drop it? Let's not assume that every song in the album is about anything political-related unless the band outright says it is the case? Otherwise, we might as well assume that every friken AB song has to do with politics while we are at it.

Let's not egg and instigate people on here. Take it outside if you feel the need to do that.

Sometimes, I wish we can go back to the days where some people may think the band is satanic in their lyrics over this nonsense.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

LosingPatience wrote:
Timotheus wrote:It's funny how KKK rallies are being defended by Trump supporters as "free speech", but this is worth getting upset about.

Enough with this type of crap please ^^^^^^^^^
says the guy who made the single dumbest post i've ever seen in 15 years of this forum

heated political debates are one thing but get out of here with the wack job conspiracies

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

I want a drum solo by Myles for this tour!

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

I am all for political discussion as when it pertains to the songs and lyrics. The name calling and back in forth arguing is stupid. Lets' stick to interpreting the lyrics and within those bounds. ... This makes me wonder what it was like on here when show me a leader came out

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

It wasn't even that bad at all when Show Me A Leader came out, which these last couple of pages of posts more depressing when I didn't think the lyrics was politically-related at all when I first heard Pay No Mind.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

It’s a product of today’s culture. Regardless of what side you stand on, political tensions are at an all-time high because of how highly publicized and easily accessible every single comment from every politician is. Even though the song is purposely written vaguely, this is where people’s minds default towards because of the state of the world we’re in today.

A lot of us still listen to music as a certain sort of escapism. That’s not to say I believe music and politics should never mix. They have before and they have on large scales. But not every-single-thing is about politics. We just see it every 30 seconds on Twitter and Reddit to the point where it’s consuming everything.

If you think a vaguely written song is about one specific political figure, that probably says more about your internal biases than it does about the song itself. These lyrics were obviously written with a certain inspiration in mind, but the beauty of music is the freedom of interpretation. I can insert whatever meaning I want into these lyrics, and that’s what the song means to me.

Myles wrote Blackbird about his guitar teacher, but I have no personal ties to his guitar teacher. So I obviously think about someone else when I listen to Blackbird. You can apply this same philosophy to every song regardless of what the subject matter is.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

My natural interpretation of a song is almost always the singer's interpretation though. So if we all agree that Mark/Myles *probably* wrote it about a politician, then that says nothing about my views on society, and entirely about the person who wrote the song.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I feel like Myles definitely wrote this song. I’m pretty sure he’s the more liberal of the two guys.

Aside from that, I think Pay No Mind is a decent song, but I prefer Wouldn’t You Rather. A lot catchier and the solo is pretty nice.

Mr.Vlado
Bought The CDs

Post by Mr.Vlado »

Arctic wrote:
Aside from that, I think Pay No Mind is a decent song, but I prefer Wouldn’t You Rather. A lot catchier and the solo is pretty nice.
Oh that's funny, I find Pay No Mind a lot catchier, especially the chorus. :D But I really like both songs though, Pay No Mind a little more as there is just much more going on and to appreciate for me :headbang

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Wow, didn't expect this thread to turn into political turmoil :O

Pay No Mind is decent, I really enjoyed the breakdown and the riffing in overall but it feels like the melodies and the voice fall a little bit short with the new material. Some of those lyrics feel a little bit 'spoken through' than sung. This is what Myles started to do around TLH (no idea about Slash's material cause I don't give a damn) but he's voice is too much of a beast to waste it on such moderate perfomance.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

I feel like given the context of what we know about Myles and previous songs (that Myles is agnostic/atheist, critical of religious fanatics, deeply concerned about climate change & environmental issues, disillusioned with the political state of world & leaders, & not a fan of charlatans) that Myles is probably very liberal/progressive and likely not a fan of Trump and the lyrics of Pay No Mind about speaking out to power fit well within that to make a short logic leap about the song. Will Myles ever come out and say it is about Trump? No, he knows to avoid alienating some of his audience, but instead will say the song is about the "how divided we are" or "speaking up to those in power that take advantage of people" without specifically mentioning Trump.

Back to the song, I happen to like Pay No Mind a little more because it is a fresh direction (how the synth mixes with guitar bass is cool here), lyrically more interesting to interpret, and has that fist in the air anthem chorus ("When the last man falls..."). However, Wouldn't you Rather has more interesting details and riffs for the guitar parts.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Yeah. And the got away with murder line is anti-abortion, lol

Can we just talk about the musical side for a change, please? Would love to discuss the musical composition.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

I really like the synth intro! The keyboard melody reminds me of Rammstein. Mark's backing vocals in that chorus sound great when you can hear them. I do think a solo right after the bridge could have sent this song to another level!