AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by Timotheus »

One thing about the production. TLH had this really unpleasant "clear" tone. It was boosted around the 1000-5000hz area, which made it all sound hyped and fatiguing.

The production of this song is in no way perfect, but at least it has some warmth. It's not giving me a headache, so yay for new AB not giving me a headache!

I adore the song itself. I'm so excited with the direction they've taken :cloud9
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Timotheus wrote:One thing about the production. TLH had this really unpleasant "clear" tone. It was boosted around the 1000-5000hz area, which made it all sound hyped and fatiguing.

The production of this song is in no way perfect, but at least it has some warmth. It's not giving me a headache, so yay for new AB not giving me a headache!

I adore the song itself. I'm so excited with the direction they've taken :cloud9

I def go against the trend here then i guess i find The Last Hero the easiest to listen to other than ODR from start to finish. Is there a difference in production from Fortress > The Last Hero, coz to my ears they sound near identical production wise ?

Mr.Vlado
Bought The CDs

Post by Mr.Vlado »

Do you guys also love this passage "So entitled since the day that you were born..." that much?
Might be one of my favorite parts of any AB song. The repetition with the change in rhythm/power etc. is so incredibly great, cannot stop listen to that. :mkrules :mtrocks

Edit: I also get the feeling that this song COULD be about Trump, fits very well, especially the passage I am talking about. Makes me love this song even more. :peace

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

I like it better than Wouldn't You Rather, which took me a few listens to get into. I love the synth intro (honestly does any band do intro sections better than AB). Lyrically Pay No Mind has a more specific and complex message that calls out not only the audience's indifference (especially those that are ignorant or bamboozled) and the powerful (obviously Trump). The chorus is awesome and will definitely get the crowd riled up raising fists singing along ("When the last men falls...). Mark's backing vocals are also very clear here. I just wish there was a solo.
Now I understand the complaints about the mixing because again sounds like the wall of sound that it's hard to separate parts.
I still don't think that these are the best songs on the album (AB rarely if ever releases the best songs as singles) nor do I think that these songs rank that high against the discography (probably in the middle).
I'm still waiting for a song to give me goosebumps the first time I hear it like they have done in the past.

welshsteve
Brand New Start

Post by welshsteve »

TheEndisHere wrote:... (honestly does any band do intro sections better than AB)....
Nope :peace

Cry Of Achilles and Slip To The Void are prime examples of intro gloriousness!!!! :rockon :rockon
Thanks

Steve

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Song kinda sounds like Skillet featuring Alter Bridge, especially in the intro. It's ok but I'm still waiting for something I want to hear twice in a row off this album.

PRS10Top
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PRS10Top »

Mr.Vlado wrote:Do you guys also love this passage "So entitled since the day that you were born..." that much?
Might be one of my favorite parts of any AB song. The repetition with the change in rhythm/power etc. is so incredibly great, cannot stop listen to that. :mkrules :mtrocks

Edit: I also get the feeling that this song COULD be about Trump, fits very well, especially the passage I am talking about. Makes me love this song even more. :peace
I think your take on this is correct and the song is anti Trump. I, unfortunately, expected Myles’s true political leanings to come out more and more as they have been each album for a while.

I, for one, can’t stand it. Not to do with the message itself, but I find it to be intellectually lazy. What a hot take hating Trump, guys. What did you turn on your tv for 10 seconds to get inspired?

I don’t care about the band’s politics one way or another. AB used to be an avenue where I could get away from having political opinions shoved down my throat. It was an escape. When you go to an AB show, people are all there, from all walks of life, banded together for great music and great guys in a great band. I’m sorry to see that Myles was out of ideas on this one and took the easy way out.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

PRS10Top wrote:
Mr.Vlado wrote:Do you guys also love this passage "So entitled since the day that you were born..." that much?

I think your take on this is correct and the song is anti Trump. I, unfortunately, expected Myles’s true political leanings to come out more and more as they have been each album for a while.

I, for one, can’t stand it. Not to do with the message itself, but I find it to be intellectually lazy. What a hot take hating Trump, guys. What did you turn on your tv for 10 seconds to get inspired?

I don’t care about the band’s politics one way or another. AB used to be an avenue where I could get away from having political opinions shoved down my throat. It was an escape. When you go to an AB show, people are all there, from all walks of life, banded together for great music and great guys in a great band. I’m sorry to see that Myles was out of ideas on this one and took the easy way out.
I don't think this song is about Trump, I just think people are taking the lyrics and applying their own views because it can fit. I feel like the song isn't as much about any person or act in general, as it is about all of our tendencies to turn a blind eye to it all and focus on ourselves.

PRS10Top
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PRS10Top »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
PRS10Top wrote:

I don't think this song is about Trump, I just think people are taking the lyrics and applying their own views because it can fit. I feel like the song isn't as much about any person or act in general, as it is about all of our tendencies to turn a blind eye to it all and focus on ourselves.
I like your take the best. Everything is so wound up these days, you may be exactly right.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
PRS10Top wrote:

Exactly i would bet this has nothing to do with Trump at all, im not political but the amount of reaching towards Trump in media has gone beyond laughable, my two cents on that topic

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Haven't heard it or read the lyrics, but didn't some get the feeling this was a Tremonti song? Or are the lyrics still going to be all Myles?

Also let's take a straw poll - what are people like more, this or Wouldn't You Rather?
For all of the hope that it brings...

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Ubik wrote:Haven't heard it or read the lyrics, but didn't some get the feeling this was a Tremonti song? Or are the lyrics still going to be all Myles?

Also let's take a straw poll - what are people like more, this or Wouldn't You Rather?
I like Wouldn’t You Rather a LOT more, and I thought that song was only slightly above average
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Ubik wrote:Haven't heard it or read the lyrics, but didn't some get the feeling this was a Tremonti song? Or are the lyrics still going to be all Myles?

I reckon its a Mark song and Pay No Mind >>>>>WYR. Like both but Myles vocals on this are so good its hard to articulate why but its damn good

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

I like Wouldn't You Rather more overall, but Pay No Mind excites me more, if that makes sense. It's just a fresh new sound from AB, and I love synths, so I'm excited about what the direction of the new album is going to take.

Both are really stellar songs though, and I actually enjoy the production on them as well even though that seems to be a taboo thought to some people here.

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

I'm liking Pay No Mind more than Wouldn't You Rather. While they won't be the strongest, both are a solid intro to the album. WYR is the radio friendly single-y sounding one, and I've enjoyed it, but Pay No Mind feels more complete and like we're starting to dive into the meat of the album. The intro is really damn good. Almost has a Dream Theater vibe or something, and it transitions to the verse well. I really like the pre-chorus "we pay no mind at all" part the more I hear it. The melody kind of reminds me of the bridge to Solace I believe, and I can't get it out of my head lol. In the end, this is definitely a unique direction that the band is taking. I'll wait till the album comes out to really critique it, but they might be onto something.
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

PRS10Top wrote:

Or JUST MAYBE Myles feels an obligation to use his voice to speak out against the sins of his country. If you don't think we're in crisis right now, I don't know what to tell you.

scalthom
Brand New Start

Post by scalthom »

Pretty sure this song IS NOT about trump, given that Brian Marshall has posted some pretty conservative things on social media in the past, and Tremonti seems to lean that way too. Funny how fast some are to bash our president, when, in all honesty, he hasn’t been much different than any of the rhetoric you hear from any other politician.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

The problem I am having when it comes to the lyrics is that people are really fast to assume that it is about Trump, when the band hasn't say that at all. For all you know, this song could be about me or you or everyone else. Let's not press our personal interpretations of lyrics as facts or assumptions as if it's the band's own absolute interpretations.

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

Dude, give it a break.

Statements like this just prove how loony those with Trump Derangement Syndrome have become in today’s world. Literally everything has become about him and it’s rather sad to watch my fellow man wallow in misery.

Mark is a Republican fwiw.

Don’t care what Myles thinks while our nation is doing great, just give me great music.

facelessman07
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by facelessman07 »

anguyen92 wrote:The problem I am having when it comes to the lyrics is that people are really fast to assume that it is about Trump, when the band hasn't say that at all. For all you know, this song could be about me or you or everyone else. Let's not press our personal interpretations of lyrics as facts or assumptions as if it's the band's own absolute interpretations.
Lol right?

Trump Derangement Syndrome.