AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
nagpo
On The Rail

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by nagpo »

i like the new song!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Maybe I'm imagining things but the video played on my phone sounds a million times better, clearer, more dynamic, less muddy than the iTunes download played on my phone. I liked the song ok initially when I bought it last night but it was pretty hard to hear it clearly, even when played through my car stereo. It sounded like "too much dobly". I really like the song a lot more today by playing the video version as the vox are much clearer, the guitar layers more distinguishable, the highs are brighter and cleaner, and the bass and bottom end are much sharper while still staying heavy.

I definitely think this is a Myles song. The lyrics sound like Myles and the chorus sounds so Slashy that I think it gives it away.

Anyway, I'm really happy with this opener. It's a solid AB song with a few unique things that set it apart from other singles. Prob not my favorite first single overall but fortunately I get to like as many as I want and don't have to choose just one. Keep in mind that we have 6 first singles now to compare, whereas Isolation was really just compared to Rise Today (as OYE/ODR were just so different from BB and afterward). It's harder now to separate from the pack just by the broader catalog of AB songs that are out there already.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Fortress1988
Brand New Start

Post by Fortress1988 »

Timotheus wrote:Love the video, especially the woman at the end!

Absolutely bro,
Love that ending part
I cut that ending part and made a gif file and now using it as a live wallpaper
Looks freaking dope !!

RikJohannsen
Bought The CDs

Post by RikJohannsen »

To me it's their best looking music video to date. SMAL was cool and so was COA. But camera angles, effects and so on on this particular masterpiece, are off the hook!

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

Awesome video. What more do we need? A killer band rocking their new song with some cool imagery that ties in with the album art! Good enough for me!

GassMoney92
Brand New Start

Post by GassMoney92 »

Guys, I’m really liking the song so much more with every listen. Especially after watching the music video. It really has such a great, uplifting vibe. Although the mix does seem a bit loud, there is definitely a clarity in this mix that TLH was lacking. I’m stoked to hear the rest, especially One Life and how it leads into this song.

MrsPog
Bought The CDs

Post by MrsPog »

I watched/listened to this on YouTube yesterday through Apple bud headphones. I thought the video was simple and cool, and although on initial listen the chorus was my least favourite part of the song it's firmly in my head today.
I personally didn't mind the mix but I do understand what some TABNers mean about clarity. The vocal overlays aren't really my cup of tea but the intro and dirty, classic AB riffs are great! I'm REALLY looking forward to the album now and hearing this played live later in the year.
I'm confident the album will give us an epic or two, with some AB light & shade... and imo that's what the guys do best.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

This first single was better than their last albums first single.

Mr.Vlado
Bought The CDs

Post by Mr.Vlado »

After about 100 listens and 15 "videowatchlistens" I like this song so much.

For me it only loses against Addicted to Pain as a first single, only considered the last 3 albums.

1. Addicted to Pain
2. Wouldn't You Rather
3. Isolation
4. SMAL
Last edited by Mr.Vlado on Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Vlado
Bought The CDs

Post by Mr.Vlado »

DP

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

That chorus... Has had me singing all morning at work...

TTournier
White Knuckled

Post by TTournier »

scarecrow wrote:
TTournier wrote:As I said, tidal converts when you upload to it. So it is a smaller rate turned into a higher rate.. that doesn’t make it a true 320... and it doesn’t sound like a true 320.
In all honesty - It’s an industry standard to do all dsp’s the same rate.. normally files get switched out closer to release with the full DPP upon delivery unless it’s “mastered for” ver.

Something I have seen a lot of over the years:
The funny thing is, lots of “audiophile” folks use tidal and think they are getting some kind of better rate and claim to hear the difference but it’s really only different because they tend to have better devices to listen to. UE ears will always sound way different than Apple earbuds or skull candy.
I have sat on the side line and seen people say how much better things sound on one service vs another but as the supplier of the file I can say for fact it’s the same mix / rate / master. - it’s just a different device your listening on or platform that does it’s own compression based on performance.

34 and 16 bits sound wayyyyy better than a streaming platform - no doubt, truth is no one has that yet.
So both the "authenticated files from mastering process / studio quality / unrivaled clarity and depth" and "lossless cd quality" options are essentially meaningless.

They're not even good at fooling people then; I've seen a few albums where only some of the tracks are labeled as "Master."
well the interesting thing is I guess its not total BS - they did get a master. its just mastered at that rate. they blow it up and call it a day. my personal opinion - that platform isn't great. I see the numbers on users - like real deal users, its not much.

GassMoney92
Brand New Start

Post by GassMoney92 »

I definitely prefer Wouldn’t You Rather over Show me a Leader. I felt like the echoing “No’s” in SMAL came off as kind of cheap and generic. I honestly wish they would chill on the layering of Myles’ vocal because he doesn’t need it. Sometimes it comes out sounding fantastic like the long, drawn out “Looooooossst” in Waters Rising but sometimes it’s just unnecessary. At the end of the day, I love everything that these guys create. It’s all just minuscule things that I nitpick and wish were different. The style and skill of these guys is just on a whole different level than most of the active rock bands topping the charts these days and my only wish is that talent doesn’t get lost in fancy effects and compressed, high treble nonsense. I have a good feeling about Walk The Sky after hearing this single, I’m sure the best is yet to come!

MrsPog
Bought The CDs

Post by MrsPog »

GassMoney92 wrote:I definitely prefer Wouldn’t You Rather over Show me a Leader. I felt like the echoing “No’s” in SMAL came off as kind of cheap and generic. I honestly wish they would chill on the layering of Myles’ vocal because he doesn’t need it. Sometimes it comes out sounding fantastic like the long, drawn out “Looooooossst” in Waters Rising but sometimes it’s just unnecessary. At the end of the day, I love everything that these guys create. It’s all just minuscule things that I nitpick and wish were different. The style and skill of these guys is just on a whole different level than most of the active rock bands topping the charts these days and my only wish is that talent doesn’t get lost in fancy effects and compressed, high treble nonsense. I have a good feeling about Walk The Sky after hearing this single, I’m sure the best is yet to come!
:yeahthat

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Ok, after letting it sit in my brain for a couple days, I gave it the true test - blasting it in my car. Long story short: it passed. The intro is just killer and I'm in love with the pre-chorus. Still feels a bit rushed at times but the good stuff outweighs that.

TTournier
White Knuckled

Post by TTournier »

AB4Lyfe wrote:Hey guys - maybe don’t talk about where to find a song that hasn’t been released in your region if the band’s MANAGER is on here. Unless it’s to point it out to Tim and have it taken down.

Jussayin’

Thanks for this -

I know some folks think "what's it matter?!" but it does matter. So much feeds off of the data from DSP's... not only does it effect the level of exposure the band gets on platforms homepages (like iTunes - iTunes gives bricks and headers to folks in locations based on the traffic in that location) but labels use this data to make marketing plans, promoters use it to form offers for tours..

You'd be surprised how much it matters.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

TTournier wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:Hey guys - maybe don’t talk about where to find a song that hasn’t been released in your region if the band’s MANAGER is on here. Unless it’s to point it out to Tim and have it taken down.

Jussayin’

Thanks for this -

I know some folks think "what's it matter?!" but it does matter. So much feeds off of the data from DSP's... not only does it effect the level of exposure the band gets on platforms homepages (like iTunes - iTunes gives bricks and headers to folks in locations based on the traffic in that location) but labels use this data to make marketing plans, promoters use it to form offers for tours..

I don't doubt it! For what it's worth, Alex and I took down a couple of "recorded" streams on the subreddit the other day and pushed the official YouTube / Spotify releases instead. It was only a few hours till the release rolled out to everyone anyway, but still. It's hard to get it through to people that, sure, pirating a song and getting it out there to people does create "exposure" but ultimately it does hurt the band. The label can't track metrics on "exposure" any more than local bands can pay their bills with "exposure" from playing unpaid gigs.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

TTournier wrote:

Jussayin’

Thanks for this -

Didn’t know that! It’s quite interesting and proves I was wrong . But at least I pre-ordered the album on iTunes in my country when the song was released

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

@TenaciousBe... Genuinely curious to hear your opinion on the new single.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:@TenaciousBe... Genuinely curious to hear your opinion on the new single.
So, on my first listen, I felt like what's-her-name on 10 Things I Hate About You: "I know you can be overwhelmed, and you can be underwhelmed, but can you just be whelmed?" I felt like "yep... that's definitely a song." But I was listening to the first YouTube stream through headphones, not the official video but the "provided by Napalm Records" thing with the cover and words and no actual video. And I know Tim said the audio is the same everywhere, but I swear that must have been compressed differently. Felt like the vocals weren't mixed high enough to cut through the instrumentation, etc. But once I went to my car and played it from GPM, and then went home and cranked up the music video on my TV / soundbar, SO much better! So the crappy first listen sort of threw me off, but once I got a better sound, I was more able to really take in the song.

As for the song itself, I'm digging it more and more as I've listened a few times. I love how they've added some elements with the synth and such, and still came out swinging with something that's hard hitting and has that "mean" feel to the guitars, while bringing this sort of uplifting lyrical viewpoint. And the way the lines are sung, feels like he's drawing out the words and using less words to fill the same length of space (I know that's said weirdly but I don't know how to describe it otherwise). Gives it this cool feeling rhythm to the vocals. I haven't seen that really talked about anywhere yet, I like it!
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.