AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
devv88
Isolated

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by devv88 »

Love the song. Definitely not top-tier AB, but it sounds way more like a complete thought than literally anything on TLH did. Would fit right in on Fortress. Pumped for the album now.

Mr.Vlado
Bought The CDs

Post by Mr.Vlado »

TheEndisHere wrote:@mr. Valdo.... I think what you are hearing is a second layer of Myles vocals that is lower register and always a little behind. I noticed the second track of his vocals several places. I think in the bridge there are like 3 vocal tracks to get that echo effect. I also like the humming before the 2nd verse (that was probably an improv thing that they left in).
I know what you mean but I don't think so. At around 1:20 in the video Myles is even opening his mouth and saying something on purpose in the video, so it's not just the voice layering.

Ariana
Bought The CDs

Post by Ariana »

Mr.Vlado wrote: I know what you mean but I don't think so. At around 1:20 in the video Myles is even opening his mouth and saying something on purpose in the video, so it's not just the voice layering.
It is "start" indeed.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

It’s definitely growing on me. It’s just not spectacular. The AB community holds these guys up like gods. They are such an important part of our lives, more than an average band. I think I went into it expecting way too much and that’s not fair. It’s an ok song. Not strong enough to lead an album release, but good.

Mix is shit. That’s not a matter of taste. I don’t need my ears checked. It’s too fucking loud and compressed. Like usual. Period. Most bands do not have this problem. Halestorm’s last record has such a beautiful, clean, clear sound. It’s big, anthemic but clear. Nick and his team did a great job. It’s what AB thinks they are getting with Elvis and company. It’s just not happening.

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:It’s definitely growing on me. It’s just not spectacular. The AB community holds these guys up like gods. They are such an important part of our lives, more than an average band. I think I went into it expecting way too much and that’s not fair. It’s an ok song. Not strong enough to lead an album release, but good.

Mix is shit. That’s not a matter of taste. I don’t need my ears checked. It’s too fucking loud and compressed. Like usual. Period. Most bands do not have this problem.
No joke. Ppl have mentioned Driving Rain...go listen to that song and then this one. Particularly the verse of that one and then these verses. It's depressing. I'm not a big slash fan but that song sounds like a rock tune. The guitar tone punches through at the forefront and has character. AB's current production has me feeling like i have water in my ears or something. And then i turn it up and it has that muddy overly loud vibe with no definition. Can't say it enough...listen to this and then go listen to just about any 70s to 2000s rock song that's guitar driven. I don't know what the point of awesome guitars and gear is if you take away all its natural punch and personality through compression. Can tell they're going to have some awesome musical ideas on this album but they are selling themselves short with being cool with this sound imo. If you don't notice an issue, like we're saying...go listen to just about anything else. For rock...King's X Dogman or something like that. And for proof that stuff with lots going on can sound AMAZING go check out anything Snarky Puppy. Their stuff is pristine and raises the bar for your ear, albeit unfairly in some ways lol. But what saddens is me is one of my favorite bands ever currently has production among the worst i've ever heard
Abe Lincoln- "Honey, where did you put my shirt?"

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

And i've recorded for myself (check out Josh Parker-Cascade on spotify...more songs coming...or poshisjarkermusic on insta if you so desire lol) and done session work for others three times so have seen a good bit of what happens behind the curtain. Which makes it even more perplexing to me. Dang it i just love these guys and i cannot fathom the thought process of a producer doing this. The two producers i've worked with are all about keeping things light, raw, and clear. So that what it sounds like in studio is what the listener's ear hears. So i don't get this. Just wait til they play this live and we hear the great guitar tones and thump and wonder why the album lacked that

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Love the video, especially the woman at the end!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Agreed. Hopefully they keep that theme in another video.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

Having said that though...given driving rain is the same producer, i wonder if the ab guys really are pushing for this sound. Maybe, who knows. But hey it's possible to dig a song yet be frustrated with the production. Production is very important. There are plenty of albums out there that wouldn't be what they are without the same production. Breaks my audiophile ears' hearts. Do ears have hearts? I dunno. But anyway folks i might actually be done with mentioning production. It's not something i enjoy thinking about but i can't help it. Like the fact that this is a place to give honest opinion. And again it's out of love for these guys and love for music. But regardless,go AB and i hope the album brings in new fans for them. I have a feeling i will like it way better than TLH

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Blackbirddd wrote:
TTournier wrote:
Blackbirddd wrote:
joshuabeau wrote:Are some of you sure it's the mix or is it the shitty quality Reddit post that you're listening to? :shrug
Not me at least, I'm not that stupid, I'm hearing at 320 kbps

we didn't release it at 320kbps. mastered for itunes is 256kbps.
It’s in FLAC on Tidal lol
They have it in "Master" quality for premium subscribers (https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/arti ... AL-MASTERS) and then the next step down is lossless CD quality (FLAC).

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Hey Tim if you’re still around, is there any way you could spill the beans on if this is a Mark or Myles tune?
Thanks Timo!

TTournier
White Knuckled

Post by TTournier »

scarecrow wrote:
Blackbirddd wrote:
TTournier wrote:
Blackbirddd wrote:
joshuabeau wrote:Are some of you sure it's the mix or is it the shitty quality Reddit post that you're listening to? :shrug

They have it in "Master" quality for premium subscribers (https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/arti ... AL-MASTERS) and then the next step down is lossless CD quality (FLAC).
The DDP with 34 & 16 bit wav is in two places in the whole wide world at this moment, with me and the mastering house. Thats it. I haven't delivered to the label yet in a higher rate that 256kbps... you dont deliver that until manufacturing (Late August).

Tidal uses an a program to convert to larger rates all of the time but that doesn't make is a true 320kbps. Every DPS has it at the same rate.... 256kbps. :)

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

JGremore wrote:I also love all the sound engineers and producers on this site lol would love to see 75% of ppl on this forum mix and master a song let alone an entire album.
Meh. I don't have to be a software engineer to say an app on my phone has poor usability, bugs and features don't work. I don't have to be a writer to feel the ending of a show I liked was subpar. You don't have to be an expert in a field or capable of doing better simply to levy criticism against something.

Anyway, woo! New Alter Bridge single! Guess I picked the right day to check back in. I dig the last third of the video's visuals with the light and lady from the cover, I hope they explore more creativity like that in future promotional content, I much prefer it to lyric videos. As for the tune itself, the overall package between the lyrics and the riffs just seemed very generic rock. Nothing really stood out to me as something I'd want to hear again, seems like the kind of song I might have heard as a bonus track. I was never really a huge Rise Today fan either though and that's a huge fan fave so I'll just hang in there for the next bit.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Fish Tacos wrote:
JGremore wrote:I also love all the sound engineers and producers on this site lol would love to see 75% of ppl on this forum mix and master a song let alone an entire album.
Meh. I don't have to be a software engineer to say an app on my phone has poor usability, bugs and features don't work. I don't have to be a writer to feel the ending of a show I liked was subpar. You don't have to be an expert in a field or capable of doing better simply to levy criticism against something.

Anyway, woo! New Alter Bridge single! Guess I picked the right day to check back in. I dig the last third of the video's visuals with the light and lady from the cover, I hope they explore more creativity like that in future promotional content. As for the tune itself, the overall package between the lyrics and the riffs just seemed very generic rock. Nothing really stood out to me as something I'd want to hear again, seems like the kind of song I might have heard as a bonus track. I was never really a huge Rise Today fan either though and that's a huge fan fave so I'll just hang in there for the next bit.
Nice to see you around, Fish Tacos! :wave :P

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

austinjhnsn wrote:Hey Tim if you’re still around, is there any way you could spill the beans on if this is a Mark or Myles tune?
Out on a limb, it’s a Myles tune.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
austinjhnsn wrote:Hey Tim if you’re still around, is there any way you could spill the beans on if this is a Mark or Myles tune?
Out on a limb, it’s a Myles tune.
Yeah, someone from one of the studio hangs said it's a Myles tune.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I might be stating the obvious in the form of a question then but if its a Myles tune does that mean all those bangin riffs in the song are wrote by Myles too? Even though Mark clearly still wrote his own solo for his part in the song so is that all Mark contributed technically to the guitar writing?

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

TTournier wrote:
scarecrow wrote:
Blackbirddd wrote:
TTournier wrote:
Blackbirddd wrote:

The DDP with 34 & 16 bit wav is in two places in the whole wide world at this moment, with me and the mastering house. Thats it. I haven't delivered to the label yet in a higher rate that 256kbps... you dont deliver that until manufacturing (Late August).

Tidal uses an a program to convert to larger rates all of the time but that doesn't make is a true 320kbps. Every DPS has it at the same rate.... 256kbps. :)
If that's the case then Tidal is straight-up lying to people. :S

TTournier
White Knuckled

Post by TTournier »

scarecrow wrote:
TTournier wrote:
scarecrow wrote:
Blackbirddd wrote:
TTournier wrote:
Blackbirddd wrote:

If that's the case then Tidal is straight-up lying to people. :S

As I said, tidal converts when you upload to it. So it is a smaller rate turned into a higher rate.. that doesn’t make it a true 320... and it doesn’t sound like a true 320.
In all honesty - It’s an industry standard to do all dsp’s the same rate.. normally files get switched out closer to release with the full DPP upon delivery unless it’s “mastered for” ver.

Something I have seen a lot of over the years:
The funny thing is, lots of “audiophile” folks use tidal and think they are getting some kind of better rate and claim to hear the difference but it’s really only different because they tend to have better devices to listen to. UE ears will always sound way different than Apple earbuds or skull candy.
I have sat on the side line and seen people say how much better things sound on one service vs another but as the supplier of the file I can say for fact it’s the same mix / rate / master. - it’s just a different device your listening on or platform that does it’s own compression based on performance.

34 and 16 bits sound wayyyyy better than a streaming platform - no doubt, truth is no one has that yet.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

TTournier wrote:As I said, tidal converts when you upload to it. So it is a smaller rate turned into a higher rate.. that doesn’t make it a true 320... and it doesn’t sound like a true 320.
In all honesty - It’s an industry standard to do all dsp’s the same rate.. normally files get switched out closer to release with the full DPP upon delivery unless it’s “mastered for” ver.

Something I have seen a lot of over the years:
The funny thing is, lots of “audiophile” folks use tidal and think they are getting some kind of better rate and claim to hear the difference but it’s really only different because they tend to have better devices to listen to. UE ears will always sound way different than Apple earbuds or skull candy.
I have sat on the side line and seen people say how much better things sound on one service vs another but as the supplier of the file I can say for fact it’s the same mix / rate / master. - it’s just a different device your listening on or platform that does it’s own compression based on performance.

34 and 16 bits sound wayyyyy better than a streaming platform - no doubt, truth is no one has that yet.
So both the "authenticated files from mastering process / studio quality / unrivaled clarity and depth" and "lossless cd quality" options are essentially meaningless.

They're not even good at fooling people then; I've seen a few albums where only some of the tracks are labeled as "Master."