AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by scarecrow »

TTournier wrote:
Blackbirddd wrote:
Andy92 wrote:
scarecrow wrote:I'm always on my computer. :P
I’m pretty much always checking my phone so touché lol.

I just got frustrated after opening the site this morning to read two pages of negative comments before even hearing the song. No one here would see the band at a meet and greet and say “hey guys the new single sucks!”
Hey it’s a forum, you WILL find a variety of opinions, if you want to read only positive comments go to the ‘Army of 12’ group on Facebook.
and if you want to see people talk negative on every single thing come here? haha come on man...

Its ok to have an opinion, its ok to even be rude if thats how you wanna play it - but I have been here since ODR, so many of the same folks album after album saying the same thing... yet the band has changed soooo much in sound and sonics since the last album.. and the album before that.. and before that...so on and so on.

If you think this sonic sound like TLH you need your hearing checked.. I sat with Elvis and we did the side by side of this song to Addicted to Pain. I think some people confuse a mix with what the sound of the band is. Maybe thats what the issue is for you? like, honest question.
There's been a handful of positive reactions along with a lot of middling ones. No one's really upset and we're all still digesting the song.

In the OLD days people were often extremely over the top with their reactions (I was like this back in the Blackbird days) but there's honestly not a lot of that going on right now.

And being combative with fans is not the answer. I assure you.

JGremore
TABN.com Citizen

Post by JGremore »

TTournier wrote:
Blackbirddd wrote:
Andy92 wrote:

I just got frustrated after opening the site this morning to read two pages of negative comments before even hearing the song. No one here would see the band at a meet and greet and say “hey guys the new single sucks!”
Hey it’s a forum, you WILL find a variety of opinions, if you want to read only positive comments go to the ‘Army of 12’ group on Facebook.
and if you want to see people talk negative on every single thing come here? haha come on man...

Its ok to have an opinion, its ok to even be rude if thats how you wanna play it - but I have been here since ODR, so many of the same folks album after album saying the same thing... yet the band has changed soooo much in sound and sonics since the last album.. and the album before that.. and before that...so on and so on.

If you think this sonic sound like TLH you need your hearing checked.. I sat with Elvis and we did the side by side of this song to Addicted to Pain. I think some people confuse a mix with what the sound of the band is. Maybe thats what the issue is for you? like, honest question.
Not sure where TLH mix complaints are coming from..sounded much more like a Fortress type mix to me and its was on sirius xm which the audio isn't great. Looking forward to hearing to better audio quality at midnight!

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

JGremore wrote:I also love all the sound engineers and producers on this site lol would love to see 75% of ppl on this forum mix and master a song let alone an entire album.
Oh, I have a lot of experience with audio editing and it's a very tricky thing. It absolutely is an art. But when you're a high-paid industry professional there's no excuse for making the same baffling choices over and over again (unless the band is explicit in maintaining that sound, which seems unlikely to me).

JGremore
TABN.com Citizen

Post by JGremore »

scarecrow wrote:
JGremore wrote:I also love all the sound engineers and producers on this site lol would love to see 75% of ppl on this forum mix and master a song let alone an entire album.
Oh, I have a lot of experience with audio editing and it's a very tricky thing. It absolutely is an art. But when you're a high-paid industry professional there's no excuse for making the same baffling choices over and over again (unless the band is explicit in maintaining that sound, which seems unlikely to me).
Yup I have a couple of buddies who mix and master various types of music. Not an easy task and it takes years to find each persons "niche" so to speak in how/what they exactly do. Too many ppl on here I feel don't understand what all goes into it. It also requires how the artist(s) actually sound as well...tunings,equipment, etc. and including how they prefer to sound, which of course you obviously understand.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

JGremore wrote:
scarecrow wrote:
Yup I have a couple of buddies who mix and master various types of music. Not an easy task and it takes years to find each persons "niche" so to speak in how/what they exactly do. Too many ppl on here I feel don't understand what all goes into it. It also requires how the artist(s) actually sound as well...tunings,equipment, etc. and including how they prefer to sound, which of course you obviously understand.
I actually think the most egregious thing Elvis has ever done with AB is the suffocating compression on Slip To The Void. An awesome song flattened by a dopey producer.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

The vocal on "around your neck" is crazy good.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Sugar Blade
Bought The CDs

Post by Sugar Blade »

benjoAB wrote:Just type it in at google otherwise check out reddit (hint hint)
Oh, thank you. So, the impressions:
- It's not as bad as I thought it would be after reading all the comments.
- But it's not that good either: felt like a pack of the most typical AB cliches channeled into one song - it's like a demo reel for new listeners: this is our sound in a nutshell, buy our albums to hear more. For majority of the hardcore fans this song won't do much, I think.
- Somehow reminded me of Poison in your Veins with it's flow and chorus.
- It felt not only like radio single, but like a theme for WWE PPV or other sport event. After reading an interview with Mark, I think that they air aiming for the big league for the second time in their career (since One Day Remains, which had a massive promotion), so they need songs like this to be played loud for huge amount of people.

I'll give it 3,6/5 - not great, not terrible.

JGremore
TABN.com Citizen

Post by JGremore »

scarecrow wrote:
JGremore wrote:
scarecrow wrote:
I actually think the most egregious thing Elvis has ever done with AB is the suffocating compression on Slip To The Void. An awesome song flattened by a dopey producer.
I by no means know a whole lot about it..I know the very basics but I'd prolly have an anxiety attack trying to actually mix a full song :lol

I do remember Slip and Couer d alene sounded different mix wise verses the rest of the album. That's one of the very few times I've noticed anything like that. I vividly remembering the snare sounding different vs Isolation. No idea if that was an effect of what you mentioned...

RikJohannsen
Bought The CDs

Post by RikJohannsen »

I listened to to that song on the phone first... was okay but the chorus was meehh
Then I played it in my car, loud but not too loud so that the sound doesn't get too blurry... and honestly this IS a catchy song in it's own right. Maybe not as catchy as Rise Today or Isolation but it's alright! AND I find the mix pretty good compared to some of the TLH songs. I love how the drums sound. Still not a big fan of the Zildyian sound but the snaire and the bass drum are kicking ass!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I wonder how much they think about having to play it live every night when deciding which to pick for the single. Like, Island of Fools is infinitely better than Show Me a Leader, yet one's been played 100 more times than the other.

Also finally looking at the track lengths, it looks very ABIIIish overall, the main difference being the opener (which is interesting of itself).
For all of the hope that it brings...

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

Usually the single is not stand out song and this should be no different.
Great intro, cool solo, don't really like the chorus.

It sounds a little bit loud for my taste, but it does not seems to be as bad as the TLH.
Waiting for the album for a better opinion about the production (with lower expectations).

The song is not bad, not great. It will probably grow over time.

RikJohannsen
Bought The CDs

Post by RikJohannsen »

Yes!!! Probably just an "intro song" and not a full blown instrumental :(

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Dolo wrote:
Andy92 wrote:

Wow, man, you must find it hard to wake up every day because some people might be negative about certain things. Not everybody here is a yes-man, and (thankfully) people have their own opinions without swallowing everything their idols happen to release.
I can write your responses for you at this point because it’s the same story over and over again every time the band releases anything.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

TTournier
White Knuckled

Post by TTournier »

scarecrow wrote:
TTournier wrote:
Blackbirddd wrote:
Andy92 wrote:

There's been a handful of positive reactions along with a lot of middling ones. No one's really upset and we're all still digesting the song.

In the OLD days people were often extremely over the top with their reactions (I was like this back in the Blackbird days) but there's honestly not a lot of that going on right now.

And being combative with fans is not the answer. I assure you.
Who is being combative? As I said before - totally cool to have an opinion but per the quote above its not cool to give someone a hard time because they feel differently than you do and slam another group.. I have been defending this group the same as the AO12.

trying to have conversations about the single in this forum and getting negative / snotty replies because they are trying to be positive.. is that a cool move? It is a forum and a community you should be able to speak freely but also a level of respect to each other should just be standard imo. but what do I know.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

chtimixeur wrote:It is indeed BY FAR the weakest first single they've ever released.
Elvis proves once again how incompetent he is, and the drums are annoyingly loud in the mix.
Show Me a Leader, which I never liked, sounds like a masterpiece compared to this bland new song.
If that's the catchiest song they had, it's actually pretty scary.
Chtimixeur you never like anything they release lol.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Hey guys - maybe don’t talk about where to find a song that hasn’t been released in your region if the band’s MANAGER is on here. Unless it’s to point it out to Tim and have it taken down.

Jussayin’
Last edited by AB4Lyfe on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

Bro what’s the deal, it’s been legit up on iTunes and YouTube’s in some region. It’s not like we downloaded the song illegally or sth.

Ronn Drummer
Brand New Start

Post by Ronn Drummer »

benjoAB wrote:Probably their weakest first song release out of all the albums I’d say, it’s more of a grower than an instant classic...show me a leader had me hooked right from the off!
This.

The banger intro and the verse are definitely the best, but the chorus I feel it doesn't fit, it remembers me a lot Cry A River and Last of Our Kind, songs I personally never liked.
After a lot of listens, this is my first album single rank:

Addicted to Pain >>>>> Isolation > Open Your Eyes > Rise Today > Show Me A Leader >>>>>>> Wouldn't Yo Rather

Unfortunately to me, the weakest AB single, and probably (and I hope), the weakest song on this new album.
The simple man receiving, defending every crime
Somehow still believing they're alright, so hypnotized...

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Okay but is da song out yet guys

JGremore
TABN.com Citizen

Post by JGremore »

AB23 wrote:Okay but is da song out yet guys
It is if you have sirius xm! haha they have been playing it once every hour today.