AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Kreuger
White Knuckled

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by Kreuger »

Not to stir the pot even more but even Slash is surprised by how quickly they got the record done.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Well, shit.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

"Why the rush, guys?"
For all of the hope that it brings...

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Ubik wrote:"Why the rush, guys?"
“Slowest one to record your parts is a rotten egg” is the argument, I imagine.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

One Drew Remains wrote:Going to be honest here...

I'm going to love whatever they do. These are my boys, and while we can bitch about the wall of sound, or lack of bass; I've already pre-ordered. I'm going to two shows minimum on the next tour. The album will accompany me on jogs and road trips.

You're all entitled to your opinions about whatever facet of the record. But I'm just glad in this time of EPs or no new music from a lot of acts, that we are getting what you know is going to be a killer full album from a group of guys who make great music.

Oh same they legit dont have a single song i hate, even their B sides rock imo

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

This article has Myles touch on writing for the record. Kind of explains them writing so fast.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Didn't they take ABIII and TLH pretty quick, while taking their time with Fortress? Or am I mistaking that?

Because ABIII and TLH are my least favorite albums they've released. Not terrible albums, but respective to their others, they just don't stack up well at all imo.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

In all honesty, they had more time with The Last Hero than with Fortress since Myles wasn't doing tours with Slash in 2016. During the creation of Fortress, Myles did three tours with Slash, two in Europe and Asia with the Conspirators, and the Kings of Chaos shows in South Africa. I'm still upset they asked him to do the Kings of Chaos shows at the last minute while Myles was with AB creating Fortress. I understand that one of their vocalists couldn't make it at the last minute, but still. It all worked out because Fortress was a tremendous album, but the action of them asking Myles for Kings of Chaos shows in the timing they did is a bit off-putting, for me, personally. Unlike the now, where they are almost done finishing their parts and then, a few weeks later, Myles goes off for the next 3.5 months doing tours with Slash and co and that we knew (or should know) that in advance as oppose to be a last minute thing.

The creation of AB III time period is interesting, given that Mark, Flip, and Brian was still with Creed touring on the backs of Full Circle, and Myles was about to work with Slash in 2010. I think I recall that after Myles finished his parts for AB III, he started officially touring with Slash.

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

My perception is that they've generally been taking less and less time with each new album. I'm not sure about the specific length of time they spent in preproduction + recording for AB III, Fortress and Last Hero, but I'm pretty certain this new one has been moving the fastest. They only spent 11 days in preproduction, which ended March 27, and I imagine they are wrapping up recording soon (if not already), based on the fact that they were doing guitars two weeks ago.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Hope it’s Ab3 vibe and not like last hero...

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Went back and had a look at the old threads, Fortress pre-prod was between April 9 - 25 (17 days total), while The Last Hero was between February 4 - 29 (26 days total), though how many days off they had during those periods I'm not sure. So on that measure, TLH had significantly more. On the other hand, with Fortress the guys met up a couple of times before pre-prod for week-long+ writing sessions. More recently though, that's been happening remotely, and doesn't really get announced by anyone so it's hard to track how long they're spending on it.

Doing it like that could have its advantages, eg they each get to properly think about the ideas they put forward without the time pressure of being sat together making stuff up on the fly, and the inspiration can take hold of its own accord. Then again, you maybe lose some of the chemistry and come up with something less organic. They both talk about "demos" these days rather than individual "parts" as they used to, so it could be they're both coming up with fuller concepts which they each then add their own flavour to. It's also hard to tell generally because they provide far fewer updates for us now, so we have to guess.

So yeah, certainly far less time in pre-prod. But the real question mark is over the writing, which we basically can't quantify. To be honest I prefer that they don't overwork stuff in pre-prod (and for them to have the bulk of the say rather than Elvis), but still wish they had the time to have the meet ups in Jan of yore.

Trawling through the old threads, was reminded this also happened - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2520&start=520

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Moose Will Be Remembered
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I moose the days when the boards were like that.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

Moose On A Wire?

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Moose Patience

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

The Last Moose

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:Moose Patience
Moosing Patience?
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Also - ABIII pre-prod was a week. So the Last Hero pre-prod was unusually long.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Show Me A Moose.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »